More then kind of, if it’s true...

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:

That’s kind of absurd.

More then kind of, if it’s true...

There is zero proof of this so far. Also if someone has a sharpied can then they should mount it to a few hosts and run an alignment rod to check it out. Then report their findings here. I bet this is just made up internet drama.
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 9:05:03 AM EDT
[#3]
@Mageever

I understand that is the weekend, so I am not expecting a reply before next week.

I would encourage you to ask the rep that you spoke with to forward you our email communication before you insist that the "customer told them that it needed to be returned, so they obliged him."
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 1:03:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

There is zero proof of this so far. Also if someone has a sharpied can then they should mount it to a few hosts and run an alignment rod to check it out. Then report their findings here. I bet this is just made up internet drama.
View Quote

I know of 2 cans that have already been back and now Methical’s can is going back.
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 1:45:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I know of 2 cans that have already been back and now Methical’s can is going back.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What was the issue? Was anything fixed? Or do they just look at it and send it back?
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 2:36:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

What was the issue? Was anything fixed? Or do they just look at it and send it back?
View Quote

Probably changed the endcap.

Link Posted: 4/25/2021 12:11:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
@Mageever

I understand that is the weekend, so I am not expecting a reply before next week.

I would encourage you to ask the rep that you spoke with to forward you our email communication before you insist that the "customer told them that it needed to be returned, so they obliged him."
View Quote

Absolutely!  Feel free to email me personally if you need to as well.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 12:14:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Hello all.  I had chance to make some phone calls.  Here's what I found and what I posted on a facebook topic as well:

Hi Guys. Todd Magee from Dead Air here (I'm the head of Engineering). I've looked into this a bit as we were asking the same thing of the plant when we saw these showing up in shipments.
The sharpie marks were on a limited amount of these and were in-process inspection marks. As these go through production they're hit with several levels of QC--especially after the different stages of TIG welding because of the amount of heat that goes into them. You'll never get a perfectly straight welded structure so we keep an eye on that. This cap with the mark was the one from after the tube was welded over the assembly.

These are measured with runout tests (with dial indicator) and also with an alignment rod. It's tested on a mount to simulate what the customer will see and the mark was added as they were evaluating it. At later a later point in the production run that mark was either cleaned off or the cap was recycled and used for further testing. THESE ALL PASSED THAT TESTING AT THE PLANT. Sorry shit stirrers and rumor mongerers.

Here's the deal. There's a lot of variation in all of this. When mounted on your rifle with your mount with your threads you may find that things add up and a rod is close to or touches the front cap bore. If it does, it will most likely happen at that mark. It was within spec at the plant. If it's not for you, with your setup, then we'll take care of it. Note that a rod is seldom perfectly centered and the sandman front cap is oversized based on our allowable weld tolerance and then some additional tolerance is added for the usual user variation. If that rod is uncomfortably close to the bore on the cap for you then just let us know and we'll take care of it. Simple as that.

Sorry for the confusion this caused! This was not something that we called out for the plant to do and they shouldn't have shipped like that. When you get it in hand and place it on your rifle and check it out and if you find an issue, feel free to contact our customer service guys:

[email protected] or 844-293-6778

Thanks everyone!
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 11:28:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Works for me. Thanks @mageever
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 2:17:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Works for me. Thanks @mageever
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/26/2021 12:03:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

That's a bummer.

Looks like some cans are marked differently aswell.
https://i.imgur.com/ytyDWzk.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/szdy9Hd.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/O1QGLgYh.jpg
View Quote

They are marked the same.  The "two different" markings are on each side of the can.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 1:53:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
They are marked the same.  The "two different" markings are on each side of the can.
View Quote

On the serial# side, they are marked the same.

The side where it shows Dead Air's logo is different. (At least on my model)
My can just has the standard commercial "Sandman S 7.62mm" markings, where as others are showing "SMS762-MIL 7.62mm"

Link Posted: 4/26/2021 8:34:32 PM EDT
[#13]
@HansohnBrothers do you work with silencer shop? I have an account with them for the tax stamp kiosk.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 11:11:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
On the serial# side, they are marked the same.

The side where it shows Dead Air's logo is different. (At least on my model)
My can just has the standard commercial "Sandman S 7.62mm" markings, where as others are showing "SMS762-MIL 7.62mm"
View Quote

That is interesting, does the Form 3 also say "Sandman S" in the model box on yours?
I have a few that say SMS762-MIL as the model in my eforms inventory, and one arrived today has that marked on the can as well.  FWIW no sharpie marks on it
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 11:45:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
That is interesting, does the Form 3 also say "Sandman S" in the model box on yours?
I have a few that say SMS762-MIL as the model in my eforms inventory, and one arrived today has that marked on the can as well.  FWIW no sharpie marks on it
View Quote

Yupp, it's a "commercial" can on paper.
Is that one a lower serial # as well? (17xx)

This is me speculating..
It's almost as if some of the tubes were pulled off the commercial line, than had mil markings/cerokote added after the fact. (My Dead Air logo/Sandman-S markings are super faint, due to the cerokote coating on top.)

Eta: Not complaining or mad, just interested in the small variations in markings.
Knock on wood, it doesn't effect the F4.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 12:13:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Yupp, it's a "commercial" can on paper.
Is that one a lower serial # as well? (17xx)

This is me speculating..
It's almost as if some of the tubes were pulled off the commercial line, than had mil markings/cerokote added after the fact. (My Dead Air logo/Sandman-S markings are super faint, due to the cerokote coating on top.)

Eta: Not complaining or mad, just interested in the small variations in markings.
Knock on wood, it doesn't effect the F4.
View Quote

The one that I got in today as well as the others has s/n in the three thousands range.  Logo seems good, the lines in the face mask logo are really bumped up on the "mouth" part.
As long as the form 4 matches the form 3 for make/model/sn, should be fine
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 6:32:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 10:59:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Alignment checks out good.   Finish not so much.....cerakote job on these things are the worst I've ever seen.  Also has Sandman S as the model and not the "SMS762-MIL."   Inconsistencies are very disappointing....Maybe I'm just spoiled by SureFire.......  

Link Posted: 4/27/2021 11:38:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 11:42:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 11:43:57 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I would hit up Dead Air customer support. The mil over-runs model is SMS762-MIL and the serial number should have MIL in it as well.
View Quote

It does start with  “SMS-MIL” in the serial number.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 11:44:30 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 12:56:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
If it doesn't have an SMSMILxxxx serial number, I would call Dead Air to verify it's legitimacy as a mil can.
View Quote

What?
Serial for this can is SMS-MIL-17xx.

Link Posted: 4/27/2021 1:00:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

What?
Serial for this can is SMS-MIL-17xx.

View Quote

Sounds like we got cans that were assembled on Friday and got the wrong engraving, but they went ahead and pushed them through anyways. LOL

So much for that QC......
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 1:08:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Sounds like we got cans that were assembled on Friday and got the wrong engraving, but they went ahead and pushed them through anyways. LOL
 So much for that QC......
View Quote

Lol.

What's your serial range? Another poster right above was saying one of his 3k series still had commercial markings with .mil serial.

I'm ok with the markings, but would be bummed out if these "Commercial" markings didn't make it into whatever .mil contract it was intended for.
That was the whole point of this purchase.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 1:13:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Lol.

What's your serial range? Another poster right above was saying one of his 3k series still had commercial markings with .mil serial.

I'm ok with the markings, but would be bummed out if these "Commercial" markings didn't make it into whatever .mil contract it was intended for.
View Quote

Pretty sure if its got "MIL" in the serial number, these are indeed the Mil cans.  

I'm like you.....SMS-MIL-17xx
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 1:22:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 1:47:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Mine is SMS-MIL-28xx
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 7:16:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I would hit up Dead Air customer support. The mil over-runs model is SMS762-MIL and the serial number should have MIL in it as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Alignment checks out good.   Finish not so much.....cerakote job on these things are the worst I've ever seen.  Also has Sandman S as the model and not the "SMS762-MIL."   Inconsistencies are very disappointing....Maybe I'm just spoiled by SureFire.......  

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51143020899_aa41f1ba79_c.jpg

This. My picture of mine is above. My model says SMS762-MIL.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 8:16:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Lol.

View Quote

You’re well within reason to be disappointed...special .mil over run, I’d definitely want the SMS.MIL7.62 vs Generic Sandman S markings, regardless of correct serial number.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 9:07:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Dang how many did they have for sale? Anyone know? Mine is 1770. Too bad it’s not 1776...
View Quote

I got 46xx...so I guess they made a lot.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 2:18:25 AM EDT
[#32]
This what a local shop has.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 6:30:58 PM EDT
[#33]
What are we mad about now?
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 6:31:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Basically

We’ve now devolved cloning into serial numbers
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 6:50:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Local shop had a grand opening last Saturday and head these on the shelf. Mil markings, no sharpie, and free tax stamp if you bought that day. It was tempting, but I there to pick up a 7.62 can from them that just got the paperwork back. The wife would have killed me.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 7:23:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Local shop had a grand opening last Saturday and head these on the shelf. Mil markings, no sharpie, and free tax stamp if you bought that day. It was tempting, but I there to pick up a 7.62 can from them that just got the paperwork back. The wife would have killed me.
View Quote

I was there. Got a free corn dog too.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 12:47:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Big Tex Outdoors just sent an email stating that they have Sandman-S MIL in stock along with other DA goodies.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 9:52:11 PM EDT
[#38]
Social media company strikes again
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 10:02:09 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Did Q come out with something new?
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 11:05:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No Q just copies everyone else and says they made it
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 9:03:01 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Basically

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Basically

Careful man. You don't wan to upset the cloners. They are a fickle bunch and will come for you.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 10:04:58 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Careful man. You don't wan to upset the cloners. They are a fickle bunch and will come for you.
View Quote

I remember getting some shit for having my Sandman on my CQBR a few years ago. I was probably called out by somebody with an AR pistol but at least he had the correct forge codes on his clone. I like the clone stuff but like anything it can be taken too far.

It does feel good to be an OG Sandman S owner now.

Link Posted: 4/30/2021 1:36:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I remember getting some shit for having my Sandman on my CQBR a few years ago. I was probably called out by somebody with an AR pistol but at least he had the correct forge codes on his clone. I like the clone stuff but like anything it can be taken too far.

https://media.giphy.com/media/rVZEejvVWEbug/giphy.gif
View Quote
Lol these aren't going on cqbrs, so your still just OG wrong
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 2:00:58 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Lol these aren't going on cqbrs, so your still just OG wrong
View Quote

I understand that. The irony is being ridiculed by people who don't even own a single tax stamp but love to discuss forge codes, selector shapes etc. Surefire and KAC were the only suppressors worth mentioning. Now a newcomer is suddenly on the tip of the spear and people lose their mind.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 2:32:13 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I understand that. The irony is being ridiculed by people who don't even own a single tax stamp but love to discuss forge codes, selector shapes etc. Surefire and KAC were the only suppressors worth mentioning. Now a newcomer is suddenly on the tip of the spear and people lose their mind.
View Quote

Just on the tip, just for a second.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 3:40:23 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

https://media.giphy.com/media/rVZEejvVWEbug/giphy.gif
View Quote

I bought arguably one of the better known clone cans with the AEM5.   Neither of my hosts are nowhere near being a clone lol. Some folks loose their minds if you dont slap one of those on a legitimate clone build. What really cracks me up are the guys that go to great lengths to build that perfect Mod 0 AEMB brake and collar included only to not get the can because of the fear of that almighty "tax stamp".

I say it's your hard earned money to do with what you please though. Who am I to judge.  I'd go back and find that user who had such hate for your S on your CQBR and say "See, I was a trend setter"
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 2:43:08 PM EDT
[#47]
Here’s mine. It’s a little cold at the moment since it’s still in jail.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 11:00:23 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Here’s mine. It’s a little cold at the moment since it’s still in jail.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/296004/FE58BF31-052B-4F25-A4B5-FDCF6BF198F8_jpe-1927074.JPG
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 5:28:35 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

I got mine from my regular dealer.  $800 out the door after sales tax.  Comes with a muzzle brake.  I haven't seen it cheaper anywhere else, so I'm happy.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 9:27:22 PM EDT
[#50]
Well mine arrived today at Silencer Shop after ordering from Hansohn Bro's.  Ordered on 04/21, shipped 04/30 and arrived 05/03.

Just getting the paperwork started with Silencer Shop so I'll see you guys at the end of the year when I can actually take it home.

And so my wait begins....
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top