Site Notices
Page / 13
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 5:19:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 5:27:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I don't really know.  I feel like pistons are best for mounting cans to pistols, and three lugs and taper mounts are better for long guns.  I specifically didn't want people using fixed barrel spacers with this product on 5.56mm and 30 caliber rifles, and I mentioned that to marketing people as they were releasing information because I know we sell cans that take pistons that people can shoot on rifles up to 300 RUM.

These are piston mounts for pistols.  We make three lug mounts and taper mounts for long guns.
View Quote

It'd probably defeat the purpose of leaving the one piston in, if you had to open it to remove/replace the spring with the spacer too.
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 6:12:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Any chance this could be adapted to work with your Checkmate?  While the .22 three lug works, I think I would feel better about using something like the CAM-LOK on precision oriented .22 rifles.

Link Posted: 8/19/2020 8:14:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I think the idea is we don’t want our customers running them fixed barrel on 5.56mm guns and stuff you can do with the optimus and Bushwhacker cans as well as hybrid .46 and others.  That probably would over stress the system.
View Quote

Green0,

I was hoping to get further clarification on your newly released CAM-LOK system. My inquiry specifically revolves around the part that stated "A fixed firearm would be a 9mm carbine PCC" as I'm curious why this couldn't be used with the factory "improved Fixed Barrel Spacer for the AAC Ti-RANT 45" that AAC offers. From what I've read on this thread Green0 you indicated that "you specifically didn't want people using fixed barrel spacers with this product on 5.56mm and 30 caliber rifles" or from what I can gather higher powered rounds. I purchased your system and planned on using your CAM-LOK mount on a short barrel/pistol 9mm PCC (Stribog to be specific) and a 10/22 charger with a 6in barrel I. Are you able to describe in detail why this mounting system couldn't be paired with the factory improved Fixed Barrel Spacer that AAC offers for their Ti-RANT 45 on a short barrel Stribog or a short barrel 10/22?

Green0 you also indicated "These are piston mounts for pistols. We make 3 lug mounts and taper mounts for long guns." however I'm unaware of a 3 lug option for the Ti-RANT 45 or Ti-RANT 45M. Can you confirm if you currently have a 3 lug conversion adapter (or other QD options) for the AAC Ti-RANT 45 or Ti-RANT 45M?

I'm hoping your CAM-LOK can be used for my application and thanks again in advance for your help/clarification!
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 8:25:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 8:41:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 9:00:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I don't think you're going to have an issue if you use a fixed barrel spacer with a non submachine gun that is a carbine in a subsonic, or pistol caliber, but I am going to stop short of re-defining the message which is going to remain, because we have customers who do have submachine guns they run fairly hard, and also who have 5.56mm rifles and stuff that they could attempt to use this system with on products like the Optimus, Bushwhacker, Silencer Co's Hybrid 46,  etc, and I don't think that would be a good idea even with the spacer.

If people never use this product with a fixed barrel spacer, it will definitely prevent one obvious thing that sometimes happens - which is failing to remember you don't even have the fixed barrel spacer in the can, which end users infrequently tend to do in 5.56mm or something like that. That will bend a piston and rip the piston retainer out of the can.  Force = mass x's acceleration, and the spring has to overcome the force for it to be safe so if the spring is overcome, an impact occurs.  
View Quote

Green0,

Firstly thanks for the quick response! I really wasn't expecting that. As for my setup I used to run my suppressor on my Glock 17 with the proper piston and booster spring but found it better suited running on my Stribog SP9A1 gen 2 and 10/22 charger with the propper improved fixed spacer. I was really hoping the CAM-LOK would be the answer I had been searching for (for years I might add) for my application. I was just concerned with the disclaimer verbiage. I really wanted a system that would prevent my can from walking off causing a strike and from what I've read, this seems to be a solid solution assuming I can run it on my Bog and 10/22.

Again thanks!
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 9:04:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

That's actually a fairly great point.  It probably could work fine for that if the product existed.  I don't know if it makes sense to make it exist, but it's a good thought process.  Maybe the only negative point to make would be that the cap doesn't get tightened by a wrench and would probably need to be in order to function properly.  The 1" tube may not be ideal for gripping the silencer for loosening.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Any chance this could be adapted to work with your Checkmate?  While the .22 three lug works, I think I would feel better about using something like the CAM-LOK on precision oriented .22 rifles.

That's actually a fairly great point.  It probably could work fine for that if the product existed.  I don't know if it makes sense to make it exist, but it's a good thought process.  Maybe the only negative point to make would be that the cap doesn't get tightened by a wrench and would probably need to be in order to function properly.  The 1" tube may not be ideal for gripping the silencer for loosening.

If it were possible, I’d be all over that. I don’t have a safe full of suppressors, but with what I do have, the Checkmate gets moved around to different hosts most often.

I just ran a couple form 1s to mess around with and my first pistol can will follow those. In the mean time, I’ll be outfitting my pistols with your Cam-Lok which will accompany the Plan A mounts that I have on just about everything else.  

Link Posted: 8/20/2020 9:17:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Green0,

I was hoping to get further clarification on your newly released CAM-LOK system. My inquiry specifically revolves around the part that stated "A fixed firearm would be a 9mm carbine PCC" as I'm curious why this couldn't be used with the factory "improved Fixed Barrel Spacer for the AAC Ti-RANT 45" that AAC offers. From what I've read on this thread Green0 you indicated that "you specifically didn't want people using fixed barrel spacers with this product on 5.56mm and 30 caliber rifles" or from what I can gather higher powered rounds. I purchased your system and planned on using your CAM-LOK mount on a short barrel/pistol 9mm PCC (Stribog to be specific) and a 10/22 charger with a 6in barrel I. Are you able to describe in detail why this mounting system couldn't be paired with the factory improved Fixed Barrel Spacer that AAC offers for their Ti-RANT 45 on a short barrel Stribog or a short barrel 10/22?

Green0 you also indicated "These are piston mounts for pistols. We make 3 lug mounts and taper mounts for long guns." however I'm unaware of a 3 lug option for the Ti-RANT 45 or Ti-RANT 45M. Can you confirm if you currently have a 3 lug conversion adapter (or other QD options) for the AAC Ti-RANT 45 or Ti-RANT 45M?

I'm hoping your CAM-LOK can be used for my application and thanks again in advance for your help/clarification!
View Quote

If it's ever in stock AAC's three lug for the TiRANT line will fit the 45 cans.  I have several TiRANT-9 cans and a 45s.  The three-lug will fit all of them without issue.
Link Posted: 8/20/2020 10:37:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

If it were possible, I’d be all over that. I don’t have a safe full of suppressors, but with what I do have, the Checkmate gets moved around to different hosts most often.

I just ran a couple form 1s to mess around with and my first pistol can will follow those. In the mean time, I’ll be outfitting my pistols with your Cam-Lok which will accompany the Plan A mounts that I have on just about everything else.  

View Quote

I'd sell my soul for them to bring back the Checkmate QD kit. I have a few other brands of .22 silencers that will accept that kit, and I would LOVE to have .22 3-lug on my pistols/MP5.
Link Posted: 8/21/2020 12:31:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sounds neat- I would like to see if they perform well on my Osprey 45s.
View Quote

The pistons aren't slotted and are not Osprey compatible.
View Quote

@Green0 Will you guys ever make a slotted CAM-LOK piston for an Osprey?  (not sure if that slot is patented or something)
I was getting my CC out until I saw that tidbit.

Now I'm reconsidering if I need a new pistol can and leave my osprey setup for my PCC...
Link Posted: 8/21/2020 2:11:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

@Green0 Will you guys ever make a slotted CAM-LOK piston for an Osprey?  (not sure if that slot is patented or something)

Now I'm reconsidering if I need a new pistol can and leave my osprey setup for my PCC...
View Quote

I think it was mentioned elsewhere in this thread, or in another one, that there may be an issue with wall thickness.  

Looking at my CAM LOK piston, it seems that the only thin area is at the rear where the locking area is.  The main part of the piston, including the taper is, seems to be a standard thick wall piston, but since the slots go all the way down, I could see it as being a potential problem in the locking area since it’s fairly thin there.
Link Posted: 8/21/2020 2:12:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/21/2020 3:56:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I think it was mentioned elsewhere in this thread, or in another one, that there may be an issue with wall thickness.  

Looking at my CAM LOK piston, it seems that the only thin area is at the rear where the locking area is.  The main part of the piston, including the taper is, seems to be a standard thick wall piston, but since the slots go all the way down, I could see it as being a potential problem in the locking area since it’s fairly thin there.
View Quote

I re-read the other two pages and didn't see anything about wall thickness.  Sorry this thread is the 1st time I'd heard of the CAMLOK stuff and was hoping it would immediately fix my complaints with 1 can and many guns.

Quoted:
In thinking about it, it might be possible to put the slots over the threads and not compromise structural integrity of the system with the slots.  By might I mean probably could work.
View Quote

I'll have to keep tabs on this and hope you guys can get it working.  Else I will definitely be showing this product to the two guys I have asking me about suppressors right now.
Link Posted: 8/21/2020 4:57:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I re-read the other two pages and didn't see anything about wall thickness.  Sorry this thread is the 1st time I'd heard of the CAMLOK stuff and was hoping it would immediately fix my complaints with 1 can and many guns.

View Quote

It was in the other thread.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/Any-one-here-have-the-Griffin-Armament-Cam-Lock-System-/20-514795/
Link Posted: 8/21/2020 5:30:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/21/2020 6:01:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Got mine today.  Improved Mk24 in the house!

Overall quality is very nice.  I like the coatings on the piston and thread adapter.  Only “downside” so far at this point would be the added length.  The 45 thread adapters extend past the existing threads and it looks like the 9mm adapters go over them I’m assuming due to the available dimensions.

Also, extra nice touch that the metric thread adapters have o-rings.  Little details like that make a difference to me.

I’ll be shooting it tomorrow.  I know where this can needed to index on this pistol to keep the POI close to POA so I’ll be interested to see if that changes.
Link Posted: 8/21/2020 6:21:20 PM EDT
[#18]
I got mine today and it's pretty slick. Mating a CGS Kraken and CZP10C. Haven't shot it but so far it's exactly what I've been wanting and it adds less than a hundred thou (.100") in length.
Link Posted: 8/21/2020 7:44:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/21/2020 7:50:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/21/2020 7:59:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

We will give that a go.  I think we may be able to do it.  I just was thinking of it from the wrong angle without factoring the 3 threads at 120degrees for reinforcement.
View Quote

That’s awesome!  That makes me happy as I like to use my Osprey 45 on my Mk23 and I’d love to be able to do all Cam-Loc.  Now that I’ve got one I gotta get ‘em all......

So far I think you guys have a real winner here.  Turns pistol cans into something much more useable.  IMHO a true upgrade and a push forward for silencer technology.
Link Posted: 8/21/2020 9:11:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Just came today, got it installed in my Obsidian 45 and Kraken 9 and got the adapters on my hosts, it's sweet, I can't wait to try it out at the range.  My only nitpick is the already mentioned length of the .45 adapter, but I can see why that had to be done, I can live with it.  I'd love to see a fixed mount down the line for PCC use, that would make the system truly universal.
Link Posted: 8/21/2020 9:18:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

Yeah. Got mine in the mail today. I have an Osprey 45.  -__-
Link Posted: 8/21/2020 9:20:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Good. I'll wait patiently. I got mine in the mail today. I requested to arrange a return. I have an Osprey.

I went to install it and saw the slots were missing. Then I realized that wasn't going to work.
Link Posted: 8/21/2020 11:17:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

We will give that a go.  I think we may be able to do it.  I just was thinking of it from the wrong angle without factoring the 3 threads at 120degrees for reinforcement.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll have to keep tabs on this and hope you guys can get it working.  Else I will definitely be showing this product to the two guys I have asking me about suppressors right now.

That would be awesome, my wallet cries out for the future.
Link Posted: 8/22/2020 12:45:04 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Got mine today.  Improved Mk24 in the house!

https://i.imgur.com/CtmPKaj.jpg

Overall quality is very nice.  I like the coatings on the piston and thread adapter.  Only “downside” so far at this point would be the added length.  The 45 thread adapters extend past the existing threads and it looks like the 9mm adapters go over them I’m assuming due to the available dimensions.

Also, extra nice touch that the metric thread adapters have o-rings.  Little details like that make a difference to me.

I’ll be shooting it tomorrow.  I know where this can needed to index on this pistol to keep the POI close to POA so I’ll be interested to see if that changes.
View Quote

Geez that looks like a LOT of extra length.
Link Posted: 8/22/2020 1:38:48 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Man I hope you do! I am running your .45 3-lug on my UMP, and was dreading having to switch my Osprey over to direct-thread on UMP, just to save myself from having an extra silencer that doesn't get used. Osprey piston for cam-lok would be AWESOME (I say, after spending over a grand on CAM-LOK already... )
Link Posted: 8/22/2020 1:54:56 AM EDT
[#28]
@Green0  I'm in for an osprey 9 piston if you guys can make it work

Looks good with the octane

Link Posted: 8/22/2020 10:57:54 AM EDT
[#29]
@green0
Maybe I have missed it-  plans for a Gemtech lunar 9?

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/22/2020 1:48:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Just out of curiosity, would using this on a PCC with a fixed barrel spacer actually give a performance improvement over 3 lug in that you don't the muzzle sticking so far into the can and taking up so much internal volume?
Link Posted: 8/22/2020 4:09:07 PM EDT
[#31]
My envelope of goodness arrived today. Glad to see the barrel adapters have continued Griffin's use of standard tools (for the most part) in the form of a standard 3/4" wrench hex flange, instead of requiring some specialty ??*e wrench only available from the manufacturer. (I love that the piston assembly tubes use castle nut wrenches).

I bought some of the standard universal pistons, and one for my Odessa. The only unexpecte thing was that my G21 Wolf (not Lone Wolf) threaded barrel had such a long thread, that the 5/8" adapter is muzzle indexing . But there's a really tiny shoulder with this barrel/ thread combination, so maybe it's better anyway.

Quoted:
Quoted:
That's exactly correct.  

I think people clean pistols a lot more often than necessary.  I remember old Gunsite videos and stuff like that where the instructors were saying to run about 850 rounds between field stripping the 1911 for cleaning, and outside of that just apply lubrication every hundred rounds or so and punch the bore between range trips.
View Quote

I think HK's polygonal barrels don't foul quite as fast either.  There's usually not much "cleaning" required after hundreds of rounds anyway. :)
View Quote

Unsuppressed, I'd agree with this. Suppressed is another matter, AND it depends on the pistol make. After a year or two of experience with my Optimus and Revo 45, I don't think I'd go more than 400 rounds on my Glock and HK hosts (esp the 45s, the G21 and HK45CT). They get caked with crap inside. They might go longer, but I'm not a fan of running things super wet and being sprayed with lube just to avoid a cleaning.

My MkIII Hi Power is waaay on the other end of the spectrum, with the Odessa- it's a little princess, and it needs the "special" piston (or muzzle adapter) to muzzle index. With the higher tolerances, the internals in the slide cake up so quickly that it starts to malf (disconnector lever?) after about 200 rounds. A trip into the ultrasonic frees everything up, but I'm about done with the "Hi Power suppressed" experiment, and I'm going back to my standard barrel.

Link Posted: 8/22/2020 5:57:02 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/22/2020 8:36:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Just out of curiosity, would using this on a PCC with a fixed barrel spacer actually give a performance improvement over 3 lug in that you don't the muzzle sticking so far into the can and taking up so much internal volume?
View Quote

Umm, you’ve still got the piston, fixed barrel spacer, and booster housing in there taking up space.  Many of the low profile 3lug adapters from DA, SiCo, Rugged, etc., replace the complete booster assembly so there is just empty volume up to the blast baffle.
Link Posted: 8/22/2020 9:17:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Got mine in today. Sample size and round count is low but so far I like it. It's great not worrying about the can backing off and the qd is a huge plus. It adds a bit of length but in the grand scheme of things not a huge amount.

Piston vs deadair wolf

Ease of attachment

Only put 67 rounds through it (thanks covid) but it stayed locked up as advertised and no POI shift

(Dick and over the shoulder shots were intentional)
Link Posted: 8/22/2020 10:41:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

That would be awesome, my wallet cries out for the future.
View Quote

this..  totally this
Link Posted: 8/23/2020 5:37:19 PM EDT
[#36]
I got my piston and four mounts yesterday (2 1/2x28 and 2 13.5x1 LH). The mounts fit great on my pistols (CZ SP-01 Tactical, USP 9 Tactical, P226 Mk25 TB, Dan Wesson Discretion). I haven't mounted the piston yet as my stamp (Obsidian 9) is still in transit, but I'm impressed so far!
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 8:47:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 9:14:43 PM EDT
[#38]
My Tirant piston and one mount arrive Thursday. I'll probably pick up few more mounts and more threaded bbls if this setup works. The concept of this system is exciting.
Link Posted: 8/26/2020 7:26:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 8/26/2020 9:16:55 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
We made the first 14.5X1LH adaptor today.  So those are on the way.
View Quote

Excellent!  I personally don’t care about 40 cal but expanding the system is a good thing.  How are the Osprey pistons coming?

I just pulled the trigger on more parts.  This setup is my current “crack addiction”.
Link Posted: 8/26/2020 9:23:22 PM EDT
[#41]
Just installed on a Glock factory 21 and 17 threaded barrel.  VERY COOL!!! I love it, worth every penny.
Link Posted: 8/27/2020 1:17:22 AM EDT
[#42]
Mounted my first adapter on my VP9 and used my Dead Air Wolf-9SD as a test. Love this CAM-LOK system. Not having an Osprey piston bums me out though. I'd pay extra for an Osprey piston.

Broke 2 barrel adapters. That was a $120 "OOPS!" Apparently when they say needle torque wrench, they mean it. Won't bother torquing the rest. Run em down by hand and give a slight snug. First one split into 2 pieces, thought my wrench calibration was off... rechecked it and tried it again, knowing that the calibration was good, 2nd one split between the external threads.
Link Posted: 8/27/2020 8:59:54 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Mounted my first adapter on my VP9 and used my Dead Air Wolf-9SD as a test. Love this CAM-LOK system. Not having an Osprey piston bums me out though. I'd pay extra for an Osprey piston.

Broke 2 barrel adapters. That was a $120 "OOPS!" Apparently when they say needle torque wrench, they mean it. Won't bother torquing the rest. Run em down by hand and give a slight snug. First one split into 2 pieces, thought my wrench calibration was off... rechecked it and tried it again, knowing that the calibration was good, 2nd one split between the external threads.
View Quote

Interesting.  Was this with a "9mm" or "45" sized adapter?
Link Posted: 8/27/2020 9:17:54 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

That is not good news at all.  If you have a properly calibrated torque wrench, I wouldn’t think it would matter if it was a needle type or a click type.
Link Posted: 8/27/2020 9:34:59 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 8/27/2020 10:10:42 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

Got any pics of the 2 adapters?
Link Posted: 8/27/2020 10:26:30 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

9mm, 13.5LH on a factory HK VP9 barrel.

Quoted:

Got any pics of the 2 adapters?

Yeah, but I don't care to post them, lest KB decide to use them for Instagram fodder, like other recent pics posted here in Silencer sub.
Link Posted: 8/27/2020 10:29:34 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Contact cs for an rma and we will replace them.

It is conceivably possible that you have a bad torque wrench.  I know lmt Provided wrenches with mrps we purchased way back that were disfunctional.

The other possibility is bad material.  Once in a while a bar of 17-4 has a defect.  Thats a major component of why we test fire suppressors- because it is the most final way to check material.  We can’t proof test a coupler. Bad material on a pair of couplers is less likely but a bar can make 38 parts or so.  The mill checks x-ray for core inclusions but the core isn’t where the part remaining is.

We have worked with every thread pitch, and haven’t had any issues, but we only hand reefed with the griffin wrenches and majority needle torque with 20ft lbs.  the spec was there for a reason because we didn’t think people would want to apply greater torque to pistols.

Some of the mounts we have installed many times, and we have cracked zero.  
View Quote

I thought that too on the first one. It split clean in 2 pieces, right at the O-ring. So then I re-checked calibration with a known distance and weight suspended from the handle. Worked as it should and the math shows it's within .5 ft-lbs. Still, this is a clicker-type and not needle type as recommended.
Link Posted: 8/27/2020 10:30:42 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

9mm, 13.5LH on a factory HK VP9 barrel.

Yeah, but I don't care to post them, lest KB decide to use them for Instagram fodder, like other recent pics posted her in Silencer sub.
View Quote

Dry threads?  Anti-seize?

9mm, 13.5LH on a factory HK VP9 barrel.  <--- That's the one and only adapter / gun combo I have so far for this system.  Unfortunately haven't mounted mine yet.
Link Posted: 8/27/2020 10:40:10 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Dry threads?  Anti-seize?

9mm, 13.5LH on a factory HK VP9 barrel.  <--- That's the one and only adapter / gun combo I have so far for this system.  Unfortunately haven't mounted mine yet.
View Quote

Dry. Luckily, I had 3 of each size on hand, so with the 3rd (and final) I didn't bother torquing. Just a snug after running it down hand tight.
Page / 13
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top