[#1]
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 11:27:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 12:01:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Thanks, I’m glad you liked it.

The comps are being produced right now.  A couple of weeks probably to get them run and through finishing.  

You probably know the tirant 9 / 45 pretty well.  Are those piston retainers interchangeable?  Would that allow 45 pistons to work in the 9mm can?  Will AAC sell the part to a customer?

We only have a tirant 45 m here.
View Quote

I have an original T45 and a T9S.

I have had the T45 set up on 3 lug for a couple years.  That gives me the original retainer cap/ Piston/ Spring to mess around with.  I tested fit it to the T9S and everything seems right and right. The piston teeth lock up and the cap screws down all the way.  

Mike Smith is gonna double check it in Solidworks and get back to me. When I get my order next week it’s literally gonna be the first thing I do is to see if I can be the first kid on my block with a CAM enabled Tirant 9S.

And no, AAC won’t sell the retaining cap because it’s a “Silencer Part”. If they’re even around in a month. Rumor is that no one wants to buy Remington due to the complexities of the bad debt and no decent facilities.

So they’ll probably start spinning divisions off. Who knows if they’ll even be around in a year. I hope someone buys the IP and at least supports parts, God knows that they haven’t lately.

Link Posted: 8/14/2020 12:42:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I made a CNC program for one, but then wanted to buy a gun to demo 40 caliber and found out HK had apparently discontinued threaded 40 caliber pistols. I was thinking the market must be tiny for something people can’t buy.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Kinda tempting, but of course no 14.5x1L adapters

I made a CNC program for one, but then wanted to buy a gun to demo 40 caliber and found out HK had apparently discontinued threaded 40 caliber pistols. I was thinking the market must be tiny for something people can’t buy.

FWIW Rim Country MFG is making metric .40 barrels for HKs. Recently debated which threading to buy, ended up going metric as it seemed like the better choice over standard threads.
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 5:34:51 AM EDT
[#5]
@green0

I said it in the teaser thread for the improved Bushwhacker, this is a true game changer, and is going to cost me money, in a good way.  Congrats, if this works as well as claimed, you now own the pistol can piston market, this actually makes pistol cans practical and not just range toys or nightstand gun fodder, extra points for making a CGS piston, that gets you all my money.

ETA just ordered 2 pistons and 3 mounts, and I was one of those guys who swore *never* to buy a Griffin product, looks like my Rugged and CGS pistons are going to be relegated to PCC only use.
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 8:46:05 AM EDT
[#6]
GTG with the DA Odessa 9?
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 9:21:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Curious why the suppressor would be damaged if used with a fixed barrel spacer.  Is there something in the locking system that requires barrel or suppressor movement to work?

Also, is barrel movement the important thing, or does the barrel specifically have to tilt?  There are a few guns that require a piston spring because the barrel moves back and forth, but it doesn’t tilt like on a typical browning system.
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 9:44:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:[/b]Curious why the suppressor would be damaged if used with a fixed barrel spacer.  Is there something in the locking system that requires barrel or suppressor movement to work?Also, is barrel movement the important thing, or does the barrel specifically have to tilt?  There are a few guns that require a piston spring because the barrel moves back and forth, but it doesn't tilt like on a typical browning system.
View Quote

I think it's just a catch all so people don't put them on rifle systems with pressure way outside what it's designed for.
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 10:11:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I think it's just a catch all so people don't put them on rifle systems with pressure way outside what it's designed for.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:[/b]Curious why the suppressor would be damaged if used with a fixed barrel spacer.  Is there something in the locking system that requires barrel or suppressor movement to work?Also, is barrel movement the important thing, or does the barrel specifically have to tilt?  There are a few guns that require a piston spring because the barrel moves back and forth, but it doesn't tilt like on a typical browning system.

Yeah. I don’t see why this system wouldn’t work on a 9mm PCC if you thrown a fixed barrel spacer in. I was kinda considering it to replace a 3 lug setup but I will probably just keep that.
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 10:51:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not sure I believe that’s the reason since they specifically mention 9mm PCCs in the blurb about not for use on fixed barrel systems.  The pressure of a 9mm out of a PCC that you can’t use it on isn’t much different than from a 9mm tilting barrel pistol that you can use it on.
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 11:31:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Yeah. I don’t see why this system wouldn’t work on a 9mm PCC if you thrown a fixed barrel spacer in. I was kinda considering it to replace a 3 lug setup but I will probably just keep that.
View Quote

Same here.  It appealed to me as a much simpler system, while also saving weight.
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 1:02:05 PM EDT
[#12]
looks pretty cool.  Just ordered for Ghost and 45T and Vp9T...will be much more convenient to switch at the range
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 2:10:55 PM EDT
[#13]
This system looks incredible. I'm going all in for my pistols. Just ordered one Rugged piston, two 1/2x28 mounts, and two 13.5x1 mounts. Probably be grabbing another piston once my Omega 36M is out as well.

Now I just need sell all of my direct thread pistons...
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 3:04:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Now I just need sell all of my direct thread pistons...
View Quote

This.  Luckily I only have a few..
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 8:16:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 8:17:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 8:31:16 PM EDT
[#17]
nvmd, answered in thread
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 9:08:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Because I don’t see it mentioned anywhere...I have a TiRant 45 that I use on my 9mm P320...can I use this system on the 9mm P320 and TiRant 45? Do I just use the 9mm piston in the TiRant 45?
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 9:55:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Because I don’t see it mentioned anywhere...I have a TiRant 45 that I use on my 9mm P320...can I use this system on the 9mm P320 and TiRant 45? Do I just use the 9mm piston in the TiRant 45?
View Quote

From what I understand, there is only one piston used for all calibers, although there are different pistons for specific cans.  So, there is one piston for GA cans, one piston for Rugged cans, one piston for Dead Air, and so on.  The different pistols are accommodated by different barrel adapters that differ only by the threading.  So, the 1/2x28 adapter can be used on any make pistols that use that barrel threading, for example.

TL:DR version is that you buy the piston for the ACC Tirant.  You buy the proper barrel thread adapter for the Sig (1/2x28 or M13.5x1 LH).  That’s it.

If you want to use the Tirant with other pistols 9mm, .40, .45, then you just buy the barrel adapter.  No need to buy a new piston.
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 10:23:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Maybe the original and current versions are different?   The Tirant 9 piston I have here is ~.896" diameter at the sprocket teeth, and .620 at the piston shaft, so it is a smaller piston compared to ~.9985 and ~.7475".  

Is your tirant 9 piston possessing the little teeth diameter and small .620 shaft on the piston or is it some earlier model with the ~.750" piston shaft diameter?    
If they made some early models with more normal pistons of the variety that were pretty much influenced by the MK23 OHG suppressor like the Evo 45/Tirant 45, then we might be able to be compatible with those.  I don't know the history of the product to be able to say what existed and how much of it.  

When I took another look at the piston, I realized with this small .900" bore diameter, the spring wouldn't fit if we made a .750 shaft, .896" sprocket model.
View Quote

I have a pair if TiRANT-9 cans, a TiRANT-9s, and a TiRANT-45s.  I can measure whatever you’d like.  I can tell you a 3 lug adapter will work on a TiRANT-9 or 45 and a 45 endcap will thread on a 9mm can.  The 9mm pistons will work in a TiRANT-9, an EVO-9, and an Eco-9 (I also have an Evo-9).  The 45 pistons for TiRANT’s are all the same.  Your 45m piston will work in a 45 or 45s.  This is per AAC as well as my own observations as I have a friend with a 45m.

I have a “spare” 9 endcap as I’ve dedicated a TiRANT-9 to 3-lug if you want to look at one for a bit.

This whole setup is awesome and I’d love to help expand it.  I’ve also got an Osprey 45 and a Ghost.

I’ve already got a 16mm LH adapter and an AAC piston coming for my Mk24 setup and will be ordering much more for my other cans and pistols.  Being able to do TiRANT-9 cans and the Osprey I’d be able to go completely CAM-LOC.  That would make me very happy.
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 10:36:42 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm really not into centerfire pistol cans, but that is cool as shit.
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 10:41:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Because I don't see it mentioned anywhere...I have a TiRant 45 that I use on my 9mm P320...can I use this system on the 9mm P320 and TiRant 45? Do I just use the 9mm piston in the TiRant 45?
View Quote
Just buy the Tirant 45 piston from this page.
https://www.griffinarmament.com/cam-lok-pistons-for-tilt-barrel-pistols/

Then get the appropriate thread cam lock qd mount for your 320.
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 3:17:19 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

From what I understand, there is only one piston used for all calibers, although there are different pistons for specific cans.  So, there is one piston for GA cans, one piston for Rugged cans, one piston for Dead Air, and so on.  The different pistols are accommodated by different barrel adapters that differ only by the threading.  So, the 1/2x28 adapter can be used on any make pistols that use that barrel threading, for example.

TL:DR version is that you buy the piston for the ACC Tirant.  You buy the proper barrel thread adapter for the Sig (1/2x28 or M13.5x1 LH).  That’s it.

If you want to use the Tirant with other pistols 9mm, .40, .45, then you just buy the barrel adapter.  No need to buy a new piston.
View Quote

Quoted:
Just buy the Tirant 45 piston from this page.
https://www.griffinarmament.com/cam-lok-pistons-for-tilt-barrel-pistols/

Then get the appropriate thread cam lock qd mount for your 320.
View Quote

Exactly what I thought. I appreciate the hand holding lol.
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 7:49:59 AM EDT
[#24]
I ordered a piston and a couple muzzle devices. If this works 1/2 as good as I think it’s going to I may too have to sell off my old pistons and completely convert. Kudos griffin. I’ve always wondered why we don’t at least have something. Especially with all the newer owners who don’t tighten their shit and have baffle strikes early. Shit all the other manufacturers should be thanking y’all. Your gonna save them a bunch of RMA’s.
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 8:28:57 AM EDT
[#25]
Silly question. As far as installation of the Barrel Adapters - is 20 ft lbs a safe level of torque for repeated on/off installation? I know it’s the requirement.
Are dry threads recommended? Or anti-seize? I’ve got some of your Griffin goop for my taper mounts and end caps/PLAN-A mounts etc.

Have you guys noticed any wear/tear to the barrel threads installing/uninstalling the Barrel Adapters over n over again @ 20 ft lbs?

13.5x1mm LH is not as robust as 1/2x28 is what I’m getting at, and we’re not talking a “one and done” installation here. Who knows how many tear downs the handguns will see in their life. I’m a big fan of bore snakes, personally, and this in no way prevents using one.
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 8:48:12 AM EDT
[#26]
Can't wait, I have been hoping for something like this for years.

Order placed!

Now I think a more efficient comp design from Griffin that utilizes the cam-lok is in order. (Sure, it will need to be able to be indexed, thus adjustable, but I think the effort would be worth it.)
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 9:25:00 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 10:20:37 AM EDT
[#28]
^^ Ordered! Thank you for the public face on this and answering all of our questions!

So dry threads or anti-seize on the BarrelBarrel Adapter?
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 11:21:58 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 11:32:07 AM EDT
[#30]
reminds me of the Lee Breechlock system.
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 8:30:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Hrm, really want to get it for my Ghost + a bunch of barrel adapters, but I'm trying to not spend money on stuff right now! I'll make the excuse of waiting for others to report on theirs, that's it! I'm just being smart, not cheap...

Of course, everything will be out of stock when I do go to order stuff, but oh well.
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 1:00:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 1:24:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 2:03:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 4:20:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I think the idea is we don’t want our customers running them fixed barrel on 5.56mm guns and stuff you can do with the optimus and Bushwhacker cans as well as hybrid .46 and others.  That probably would over stress the system.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It would do you good to read the links provided in the OP.

Use of the CAM-LOK™ system with a fixed spacer on a fixed barrel firearm will cause damage to the suppressor.  This is for use on handguns with title barrel pistols only such as Glock, HK, SIG, 1911, S&W M&P....etc.   A fixed firearm would be a 9mm carbine (PCC), a bolt action, etc.

Of course, it would also do GA good to proofread their website. I’m guessing they didn’t intend to say “title barrel pistols”

I think the idea is we don’t want our customers running them fixed barrel on 5.56mm guns and stuff you can do with the optimus and Bushwhacker cans as well as hybrid .46 and others.  That probably would over stress the system.

So, is the concern just 5.56 and other high pressure stuff?  If so, why specifically mention 9mm PCCs?  How would the system be overstressed on a 9mm or other pistol caliber (e.g. .40, .45) with a fixed barrel spacer when it’s fine with a spring in the same calibers.  
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 5:02:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 9:24:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Need a TiRant 9 option. That’s my dedicated pistol can.
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 12:46:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Well. Just dumped $1,100 into retrofitting all of my pistol cans into CAM-LOK.

Bummed to read that Osprey won't work. Will have to figure a way to make that so.

How does it work shooting .45 cans on a 9mm pistol? Just threads on, no intentional size interference to prevent 9mm can on a 45 pistol?
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 2:38:50 PM EDT
[#39]
I love this idea.  Crazy awesome.

I can see converting my Octane 45 to use this.  But I need those 14.5mm mounts for my USP and Beretta 96. Pleeeeeease!  (Or at least a 14.5 to 9/16 adapter that doesn't look like butt.)
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 3:01:20 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:How does it work shooting .45 cans on a 9mm pistol? Just threads on, no intentional size interference to prevent 9mm can on a 45 pistol?
View Quote

Yes.

My understanding is that there is no safeguard which I’m ok with. Just be conscious of what you are using and don’t use a 9mm can on a .45.
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 3:49:03 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Yes.

My understanding is that there is no safeguard which I’m ok with. Just be conscious of what you are using and don’t use a 9mm can on a .45.
View Quote

Safety third. Fuck it
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 3:50:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Safety third. Fuck it
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.

Safety third. Fuck it

Yep! SEND IT!!!
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 4:05:05 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

How does it work shooting .45 cans on a 9mm pistol? Just threads on, no intentional size interference to prevent 9mm can on a 45 pistol?
View Quote

That’s why it’s called “Universal” for all calibers.
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 4:38:10 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

That’s why it’s called “Universal” for all calibers.
View Quote

Correct. Other manufacturer's make their productions with intentional dimensions to prevent putting sub-caliber cans on hosts, IE you cant put a YHM 5.56 can on a YHM 7.62 mount, etc.

So before I get disappointed, I wanted to make sure that all my .45s fit on my 9s, etc.
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 5:58:47 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 8:48:52 PM EDT
[#46]
Any for sig srd9?
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 9:48:48 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
We have not done any engineering to make products specifically NOT fit other products, because that also creates forced situations of incompatibility that rob customers of value and function, also inevitably causes erroneous orders, and requires customers to spend more money, and waste more of their time.  

All of your 45 cans equipped with this product will fit on 9mm pistols equipped with this product.   Thanks for your order also.
View Quote

Agreed with your first paragraph. Just want to get them all set up now and be done. My biggest bitch is having left-hand threads want to unscrew the booster. I don't want to use threadlock or strap wrenches, so your concept of grab a can and taper lock it on to any pistol is very appealing. I don't go shooting with large groups, so the situation of shooting 45 through a 9 is low. Not having to swap pistons and remember if I left the 45 or 9 piston in the can is awesome.
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 10:51:20 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Any for sig srd9?
View Quote
This id love to use this on my sig srd45
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 11:29:37 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Kinda tempting, but of course no 14.5x1L adapters

@Green0 Arms Unlimited has them right now.

https://www.armsunlimited.com/Heckler-Koch-HK-USP40-Tactical-Pistol-Threaded-p/207787.htm
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 12:25:19 PM EDT
[#50]
Very cool and long overdue in the industry! I guess this can be viewed as an updated Maxim interrupted thread.

Any chance of separate end caps for cans so it can work with the Beretta 92 where a booster is not needed?
Page / 13
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top