User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 8
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 10:49:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote
This is awesome.

Happy to see it announced. I bet this thing will be absolutely killer with .300 BLK subsonic (and pretty damn good on 5.56/.308 etc).
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 11:01:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Capitol Armory has them and much cheaper than SS
View Quote
Same price as SS. $875.

Did anyone see if SS had them and is already sold out? Their site says backordered.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 11:20:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Showing back ordered for me on silencer shop.

But that’s OK because now I’m rethinking my plan of putting this on a 16 inch ar
8.39 plus keymo is like 10”

But if indeed max suppression then I guess the weight/length penalty is fine
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 11:25:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
@mageever now how about that Nomad 338...
View Quote
I gotta know...
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 11:47:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Same price as SS. $875.

Did anyone see if SS had them and is already sold out? Their site says backordered.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Same price as SS. $875.

SS price varies by dealer. Yes they were in stock earlier this morning. All the SS dealers near me were over $1000.

ETA: I just went back and looked and now that the status has changed from in stock to backorder the price is ~$200 less than what it was
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 11:49:41 AM EDT
[#6]
I like.  I am awfully happy w/ my Nomad, though.  Still, might have to pick one up.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 12:19:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Nice.  I'm not sure I'm a buyer now though, since I've got an approved Full Nelson.  I'd be more tempted with a .338 bore option.

It would be nice companion to my Sandman K/AR hosts.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 12:21:11 PM EDT
[#8]
And the real nomax will be 338?
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 12:37:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 12:56:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
This is how I read the tea leaves.  At one point there was mention that the marketing team wanted to reserve the Nomax moniker for another day.  And Pappas has talked about a big bore can.  So that's how I see it.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 1:38:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
Thats the one that will be more interesting to me, the L is longer and especially heavier than I really want in a .30 cal can, but it might be a neat option in .358" or .338" bore.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 1:39:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
We have them in stock now!  
View Quote
How do the Nomad L and EA Lux compare sound wise?
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 1:42:14 PM EDT
[#13]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Woo woo!

https://www.capitolarmory.com/dead-air-nomad-l-30-caliber-suppressor.html
SS wanted more than $875? Damn
Quoted:

But that’s OK because now I’m rethinking my plan of putting this on a 16 inch ar

Holy moly! No way I’d opt for that
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 2:34:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Yeah I posted on the NFA subreddit 2 days ago like an idiot and it sparked a bit of interest. Thankfully silencershop dmed me and let me know that they were magically released. I went and checked the website and I was like "no way is that gonna happen at full MSRP". I refreshed it 30 min after the release and they had dropped the price and I snagged the last one. Definitely an impulse buy and not sure if I really want it yet but whatever I guess. I think I just built up enough anticipation from following this thread that I convinced myself I wanted it
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 2:36:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Also should we rename the thread to "Nomad-L" in case the NomaX actually comes out as a big bore can? For the sake of future thread users?
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 2:42:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 2:44:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Also should we rename the thread to "Nomad-L" in case the NomaX actually comes out as a big bore can? For the sake of future thread users?
View Quote
@bigman74
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 3:04:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

No idea, I don't have a Nomad-L demo.
View Quote
This is when one of you sneaky buggers slides into Hanson Bros' DMs and says "You can shoot my can while it's still on your Form 3 for a wittle bitty discount or a cheap KeyMo adapter."
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 3:09:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 6:18:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yours will be more like 438.  I know you.  
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 6:34:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 6:35:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 6:42:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 6:58:36 PM EDT
[#24]
My local dealer tried to order one for me today and couldnt find one in stock from his usual sources so he backordered one. That source shows the Nomad L as "coming soon". Do dealers like Hansohn and Capitol Armory actually have them in their hands or do they just have serial numbers?
Todd, any clue if more will be hitting other dealers soon or did all the first batch get sold to just a hand full of dealers?
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 7:02:45 PM EDT
[#25]
avg numbers for a 16" AR?
apologies If I missed it, skimmed back and didn't see anything showing
numbers for 5.56
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 7:56:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
#winning
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 8:28:08 PM EDT
[#27]
I noticed you changed the rating verbiage on the Nomad 30 product page to match that of the Nomad L. Good move, I have seen a few posts on Reddit where folks were confused by the Key-Mo's .300 Win Mag limit being included on the Nomad product page along side the .300 RUM and Norma rating.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 10:50:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Woo woo!

https://www.capitolarmory.com/dead-air-nomad-l-30-caliber-suppressor.html
Quoted:

yeah I'm going back and forth. I have 2 sandman-s  that do everything I want.
thinking the nomad-L would be cool since I am shooting more under NODs now and try to respect my neighbors.
and its supposed to be the quietest.
In for the videos to start popping up!
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 11:06:37 PM EDT
[#29]
I picked mine up for my 6.5 Grendel SBR. That thing is loud as shit. This could be a game changer.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 7:47:33 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I picked mine up for my 6.5 Grendel SBR. That thing is loud as shit. This could be a game changer.
View Quote
Pretty much why I bought a Nomad-L,  will be using it on 12" grendel pistol,  going for max suppression to get the db down in that short barrel.
The Nomad-L is heavy compared to other 8" suppressors that won't be available for many more months that would offer comparable suppression. I can deal with the weight since it will spend a good amount of time in a tree stand and by purchasing it now then there's a good chance of getting by hunting season next year.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 8:49:42 AM EDT
[#31]
Can someone explain me the hype behind this can? Cause I've heard the original Nomad in person.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 9:08:07 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Can someone explain me the hype behind this can? Cause I've heard the original Nomad in person.
View Quote
It’s a new suppressor based on a proven design, that can be outfitted to work with arguably the best QD system in the business, and backed by a company with a good all-around reputation for high-quality, durable products and good customer service.

I don’t think it’s anything groundbreaking, but I think we can expect it to be a reliable can with excellent sound suppression.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 10:57:31 AM EDT
[#33]
I've been researching QD systems for suppressors since I've bought a couple in the last 30 days (Resonator R2 and Nomad-L) and have been looking at the Area 419 system for moving them around on different rifles.

The Resonator R2 has an inconel blast baffle but the Nomad-L does not, do I need to have a sacrificial muzzle brake for the Nomad-L or is it durable enough to not need one (area 419 doesn't use a sacrificial brake).
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 11:11:09 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
Lots of people like the original Nomad, so having a longer one that will give better suppression is bound to be popular.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 11:41:47 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Can someone explain me the hype behind this can?
View Quote
Reading: how does it work?

Start halfway down on Page 1.

Link Posted: 1/30/2020 12:32:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote
Not sure what you mean by the last sentence. You've heard the Nomad and it sounded good therefore why is a longer one exciting, or you've heard the Nomad and it sounds bad, so why would you want a bigger version?
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 2:51:55 PM EDT
[#37]
Part of the magic of the Nomad-L is that it has a baffle stack that loves a good bump in pressure. It works exceptionally well with 300BLK, but as the pressure goes up it gets more and more efficient. It really shines with magnum stuff.

Todd Magee
Dead Air Engineering
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 2:59:24 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Part of the magic of the Nomad-L is that it has a baffle stack that loves a good bump in pressure. It works exceptionally well with 300BLK, but as the pressure goes up it gets more and more efficient. It really shines with magnum stuff.

Todd Magee
Dead Air Engineering
View Quote
Is there any metering out yet? Checked yesterday and couldn't find any info on your site. Basically just want to know how it objectively compares to the regular Nomad
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 3:08:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Is there any metering out yet? Checked yesterday and couldn't find any info on your site. Basically just want to know how it objectively compares to the regular Nomad
View Quote
https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2019/06/15/massive-metering-day/
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 3:44:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Thanks, I hadn't seen that. So assuming the prototype Nomad L used in that testing is the same as the production model it beats the regular Nomad by ~ 10 dB on 300 blackout subs. That's really impressive. It even beats the full nelson by 1-2 dBs
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 5:04:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
They built the Nomad cause the internets told them not to chase dBs.

The Nomad-L is for everyone else.

Guess which one will sell more.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 5:24:46 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
Ill say the Nomad since the Nomad L will be over 9 inches long with a keymo mount, and even DT its over 8 inches long.

Not saying the Nomad L is bad but by judging when i go to my LGS and seeing the cans on display that are waiting for paperwork the trend is shorter cans. They sell more trash pandas than thunder chickens, more Sandman S than L, etc.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 6:04:25 PM EDT
[#43]
Unfortunately that metering session was heavy on .300 blk sub testing and light on testing with more useful full power cartridges. It would be interesting to see how the Nomads compare on cartridges like 6.5 Creed and .300 Winny.

Quoted:

Ill say the Nomad since the Nomad L will be over 9 inches long with a keymo mount, and even DT its over 8 inches long.

Not saying the Nomad L is bad but by judging when i go to my LGS and seeing the cans on display that are waiting for paperwork the trend is shorter cans. They sell more trash pandas than thunder chickens, more Sandman S than L, etc.
Exactly I'd guess that the Nomad 30 is going to be the more popular general use can of the two given the Omega-esq balance of suppression, weight and length. The L is probably going to be more niche for those wanting the absolute quietest regardless of the size and weight, that market seems to be mostly made up of n00bs and folks who already have one of everything.

I probably see 4-5 Ultra 7s at the range for every Ultra 9 I see. Along the same lines, I'm sure it's not an accident that TBAC started the Dominus line with two <7" cans even though longer versions are bound to follow.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 6:25:31 PM EDT
[#44]
^^ That's also six-month-old data of an R&D unit, not the unit that went into production.  I've already seen Mikeith from Dead Air say today that the Nomad-L was further refined and improved after that range day. Of course Mageever can shed light on all of this.

Personally, for my 12.5" 6.5 Grendel hunting SBR, the Nomad-L represents peak performance.  I cannot wait to get mine.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 6:53:19 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote
That will be my primary use as well. My Omega does well but more suppression would be welcomed. I try to use earpro when hunting but it just doesn't work very well over the top of winter hats and face masks, and ear plugs are a no-go.
The Nomad L beat the Omega by 10db on .308, so if it's close to that much better on 5.56 and 6.5g then it's worth the extra size and weight to me. Wish we had comparison data on those rounds.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 8:57:35 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I've been researching QD systems for suppressors since I've bought a couple in the last 30 days (Resonator R2 and Nomad-L) and have been looking at the Area 419 system for moving them around on different rifles.

The Resonator R2 has an inconel blast baffle but the Nomad-L does not, do I need to have a sacrificial muzzle brake for the Nomad-L or is it durable enough to not need one (area 419 doesn't use a sacrificial brake).
View Quote
@mageever this is exactly the question I have also
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 11:12:38 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Guess im the internets. I dont chase DBs and the OG sounded fine to me. IDK
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 11:43:17 PM EDT
[#48]
Nomad L is in the house. Shooting it this weekend.

Still no meter, but I have a three mic system I may use to record audio. Not sure if it will be useful to anyone.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 1:14:38 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Thanks, I hadn't seen that. So assuming the prototype Nomad L used in that testing is the same as the production model it beats the regular Nomad by ~ 10 dB on 300 blackout subs. That's really impressive. It even beats the full nelson by 1-2 dBs
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I'm thinking you're looking at the B&K data there.  The Nomad was only a few dB louder not ~10 dB.  That data is known to be flawed and is a totally different system anyway.  I wish they hadn't posted it.  Here's a quick snapshot I pulled off that table that posted on Page 1 of this topic:

300BLK:
Nomad-30: 122.9 - 126.7 dB Depending on config (direct thread or Keymo).
Omega 300: 124.8 (note that the first two shots were over 130 dB and so the meter was pegged and they didn't factor them in)
Nomax: 120.5 dB
Full Nelson: 120.0 dB

.308 16" Barrel:
Nomax: 131.9 dB
Omega 300: 141.8 dB
YHM Resonator: 138.1

Quoted:

That implies we built the Nomad with no regard for sound performance.  That's not really the case.  Am I reading you right, or is your dry humor flying over my head as usual?

To answer your question, though, the Nomad will definitely sell the most because it's a bit of a Goldilocks suppressor.  It's a great package for size, weight, performance, and versatility.  But for people that want some extreme suppression, the Nomad-L is there for you.

I see this as that ultimate can for applications like Mr. @Dillhole is talking about.  I love the idea of this being on shorty bolt action--especially with rumpety cartridges.

Quoted:
Quoted:

@mageever this is exactly the question I have also
It's very much durable enough.  The blast baffle has been thickened up and the material along the bore has been increased over previous production Nomads to further toughen it up.  It's not all about material.  Good geometry plus good material means you're winning.  When testing the first Saker prototype at Silencerco back in the day, its 17-4 baffles outlasted an M4-2000 with inconel baffles in some hardcore endurance testing because of good geometry and material placement.

Also, blast chamber has been increased a bit and the tool features on the back have been beefed up.  @ThisWildAdventure -- this should answer your question.

I do recommend a brake as a sacrificial baffle as rule.

Todd Magee
Dead Air Engineering
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 5:56:18 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

That implies we built the Nomad with no regard for sound performance.  That's not really the case.  Am I reading you right, or is your dry humor flying over my head as usual?
View Quote
No it implies there is a segment of the market that values size and weight over DB reduction.

It also implies there is a segment that values DB reduction over size and weight.

You now have cans that meet the needs of both markets.

No surprise since you have various lengths of the Sandman.

Don’t overthink it. Yes there was some humor at the "I do not chase DB crowd".

ETA

and in before some asks about a Nomad-K or Nomad-S.
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top