Page / 34
Link Posted: 5/1/2019 12:35:17 PM EDT
[#1]
@Aramark

Link Posted: 5/1/2019 12:45:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I assume that the Kraken isn't .300BO super friendly?
View Quote
Subsonic Blackout only on the Kraken.
Link Posted: 5/1/2019 2:19:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Primarily Aluminum, so I wouldn't try it.  I bought it for pistols only.  I've got a Sandman-K, Sandman-L and Nomad for .300.

I could see getting an Omega 9k/BH Mini Boss or Dead Air Wolf/Wolfman for .300, but I wouldn't want to use an aluminum can for it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I assume that the Kraken isn't .300BO super friendly?
Primarily Aluminum, so I wouldn't try it.  I bought it for pistols only.  I've got a Sandman-K, Sandman-L and Nomad for .300.

I could see getting an Omega 9k/BH Mini Boss or Dead Air Wolf/Wolfman for .300, but I wouldn't want to use an aluminum can for it.
Makes sense and thanks to you and @paco_ramirez for clarifying.  I am considering going over to nearly completely .300BO and I think I may need another pistol can rated for .300BO supers on a 3 lug.
Link Posted: 5/1/2019 2:48:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Makes sense and thanks to you and @paco_ramirez for clarifying.  I am considering going over to nearly completely .300BO and I think I may need another pistol can rated for .300BO supers on a 3 lug.
View Quote
Wolfman/Wolf 9 SD would be my two choices for a supersonic Blackout silencer that's also 9mm capable. I also saw that Capitol Armory had Wolf 9 SDs in stock.
Link Posted: 5/1/2019 2:51:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Wolfman/Wolf 9 SD would be my two choices for a supersonic Blackout silencer that's also 9mm capable. I also saw that Capitol Armory had Wolf 9 SDs in stock.
View Quote
Mind detailing why you would take it over an Omega 9k?
Link Posted: 5/1/2019 3:56:33 PM EDT
[#6]
The manual with some test numbers is up on Dead Air's site

Manual
Link Posted: 5/1/2019 3:58:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
Because I know how the Wolf series is put together and it's much stronger than an Omega 9K.
Link Posted: 5/1/2019 4:05:14 PM EDT
[#8]
When is this "keymicro" going to be revealed?
Link Posted: 5/1/2019 4:11:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Because I know how the Wolf series is put together and it's much stronger than an Omega 9K.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That’s good and bad . Good in that I’ve been eyeing the Wolf/Wolfman, bad in that I thought my recently approved Omega 9K is pretty good.
Link Posted: 5/1/2019 4:19:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
Given how few have full auto's and the lack of failure reports, the Omega 9k seems to hold up just fine.

I could see worrying more if you wanted to up the ante and move to 6.8 or other rifle rounds.

The Wolf and Wolfman are also nice if you want a modular option.  I think I want a Wolf just for the extra short option.  I want to put a super short can on a 7.5" 6.8 build.  If anyone has recommendations, I'm open to them
Link Posted: 5/1/2019 4:21:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

That’s good and bad . Good in that I’ve been eyeing the Wolf/Wolfman, bad in that I thought my recently approved Omega 9K is pretty good.
View Quote
Just because the Wolf series is stronger doesn't mean the 9K is weak, it just means the Wolf series is stronger. I wouldn't worry about it.
Link Posted: 5/1/2019 4:21:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Just because the Wolf series is stronger doesn't mean the 9K is weak, it just means the Wolf series is stronger. I wouldn't worry about it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cool, appreciate you hanging out here.
Link Posted: 5/1/2019 4:28:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Given how few have full auto's and the lack of failure reports, the Omega 9k seems to hold up just fine.

I could see worrying more if you wanted to up the ante and move to 6.8 or other rifle rounds.

The Wolf and Wolfman are also nice if you want a modular option.  I think I want a Wolf just for the extra short option.  I want to put a super short can on a 7.5" 6.8 build.  If anyone has recommendations, I'm open to them
View Quote
Vox K?
Link Posted: 5/1/2019 4:32:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The manual with some test numbers is up on Dead Air's site

Manual
View Quote
Hmm, I would have thought the numbers would have been better than those.  Discounting the use of the wipe, the numbers shown aren’t better for a 9mm carbine than what Rugged shows for the smaller diameter and slightly lighter Obsidian 9.  Rugged claims 128.5/120.9 for a carbine and DA 129.0/122.1 for an MP5.  The wipe only drops it 3db on 9mm in the short configuration, but it drops it a whopping 10db on .300 BO.

Kind of on the fence, since I’d be using it on 9mm PCCs.
Link Posted: 5/1/2019 4:49:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Vox K?
View Quote
Getting long

It's certainly a possibility.
Link Posted: 5/1/2019 4:51:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Hmm, I would have thought the numbers would have been better than those.  Discounting the use of the wipe, the numbers shown aren’t better for a 9mm carbine than what Rugged shows for the smaller diameter and slightly lighter Obsidian 9.  Rugged claims 128.5/120.9 for a carbine and DA 129.0/122.1 for an MP5.  The wipe only drops it 3db on 9mm in the short configuration, but it drops it a whopping 10db on .300 BO.

Kind of on the fence, since I’d be using it on 9mm PCCs.
View Quote
Rugged's advertised numbers with the Obsidian 9 are all achieved with Freedom Munitions Hush 165gr 9mm ammo according to them on their own Instagram page. They're lower numbers because it's under powered ammo, even for subs. It's not directly comparable to Dead Airs numbers. This is a prime example of why companies need to at a minimum tell people directly what ammo they're advertising numbers with, like Dead Air is doing. If they don't post the ammo type to accompany the dB numbers, like what Rugged did, it'll confuse people into thinking that something is quieter or close to similar performance when in reality it's not.

ETA proof:

Link Posted: 5/1/2019 5:00:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Rugged's advertised numbers with the Obsidian 9 are all achieved with Freedom Munitions Hush 165gr 9mm ammo according to them on their own Instagram page. They're lower numbers because it's under powered ammo, even for subs. It's not directly comparable to Dead Airs numbers. This is a prime example of why companies need to at a minimum tell people directly what ammo they're advertising numbers with, like Dead Air is doing. If they don't post the ammo type to accompany the dB numbers, like what Rugged did, it'll confuse people into thinking that something is quieter when in reality it's louder.

ETA proof:

https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/58579439_10216250968281621_2010183812813684736_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-1.xx&oh=2a82a203a17db85a247be5e736a45bf5&oe=5D6165FF
View Quote
165gr is what you used when getting your low numbers with the Kraken, right?

It's what you buy if you're going all out for the lowest numbers possible.
Link Posted: 5/1/2019 5:02:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

165gr is what you used when getting your low numbers with the Kraken, right?

It's what you buy if you're going all out for the lowest numbers possible.
View Quote
It is, along with 147gr AE and Speer Gold Dot G2 147gr depending on where you're looking. Hansohn Brothers tested it with AE 147gr independently. Our website's been under construction for a while but the ammo to accompany dB numbers will be shown correctly on there when complete.

But back on track with Dead Air, I don't want to detract from the Wolfman topic at all. I was just adding info to eliminate confusion.
Link Posted: 5/1/2019 6:11:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/1/2019 6:43:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Todd uses UMC and Aguila 147s.
View Quote
I know, because they list it right next to the dBs. More people need to do that.
Link Posted: 5/1/2019 7:19:28 PM EDT
[#21]
How much 5.56 punishment can it take? I know semi-auto has been mentioned, but does that mean mag dumps OK, or limited rate of fire with cool downs?
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 7:03:11 PM EDT
[#22]
I saw in an IG comment section that the Wolfman wipe endcap will fit the Sandman series. I assume that means it will fit the Nomad as well?
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 7:04:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 7:18:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Does anyone have a wolf in for service?
I sent mine in back in February, due to a baffle strike. Can was bad out of the box.  Apparently im getting a wolfman back instead. It's just taking forever.
View Quote
With the same serial?
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 7:52:19 PM EDT
[#25]
It looks like the serial number is over the blast chamber so welding on the new configuration baffle stack is well within accepted norms for a repair.
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 8:08:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 8:19:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I saw in an IG comment section that the Wolfman wipe endcap will fit the Sandman series. I assume that means it will fit the Nomad as well?
View Quote
Interesting proposition adding a Wolfman wiped endcap to my Sandman K on my .300blk bolt Ruger or for anyone else adding it to their Sandman K-S-L, Nomad, Wolverine or original Wolf.  This is assuming they will be offering it for sale on its own hopefully. @Mageever tell marketing yes, we will all want that to happen.  I still want this Wolfman though.  Damnit Dead Air lol.  I had talked my self out of the original Wolf and you guys just had to tweak it into this. Also, we need more info on this micro keymount please.
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 8:33:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Correct!
View Quote
Sweet! With the wipe endcap, an E-Brake and a free Plan-A I'll have a trio of accessories to sadly stare at, or perhaps practice juggling with during my interminable year long wait at the crushing center of the FBI black hole...
Link Posted: 5/3/2019 3:27:22 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
If the wolfman can be used in semi 16" 6.8spc I'm definitely buying one soon.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can still get the Kraken direct from CGS for $400 if you call them.

I asked Dead Air about using the Wolf 9 on a 7.5" 6.8 SBR in semi auto and they said it would be fine.
If the wolfman can be used in semi 16" 6.8spc I'm definitely buying one soon.
We've never "officially" (by that I mean me, running the engineering and design side of the business) said 6.8SPC is OK, but the CS guys know it can take 7.62X39, so it's not a big deal.  Erosion on the Wolf's blast baffle was the only issue.  The Wolfman blast baffle is designed to take more abuse.  If I can get my hands on an 6.8SPC, I'll shoot it some and prove it out.  Until then, go ahead if it's on a 16".
Link Posted: 5/3/2019 3:29:33 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

So this is quieter than the Sandman-L with 300blk?
View Quote
Yes.  But the -L will handle high erosion situations and high pressure cartridges like 300WM.
Link Posted: 5/3/2019 3:30:51 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Is it?  According to the specs on the DA website, both are 1.618” diameter.  The Wolfman is slightly shorter (7.5” vs 7.58”) and slightly lighter (14.4 oz vs 14.7 oz) in full length.  The main difference seems to be in the short configuration in that the Wolfman split is at about 2/3 length whereas the Wolf is at about half length.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Now I’m a little confused - is the Wolfman more or less robust than the Wolf?
More
Beefier
Is it?  According to the specs on the DA website, both are 1.618” diameter.  The Wolfman is slightly shorter (7.5” vs 7.58”) and slightly lighter (14.4 oz vs 14.7 oz) in full length.  The main difference seems to be in the short configuration in that the Wolfman split is at about 2/3 length whereas the Wolf is at about half length.
Yes, it's tougher.  I was able to take weight out of areas that were less critical and optimize areas that needed to be beefed up.
Link Posted: 5/3/2019 3:31:52 AM EDT
[#32]
I suddenly want a 7.5" barrel for the first time ever.
Link Posted: 5/3/2019 3:34:05 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks Josh.  It also matches performance in the short configuration with the Omega9K.  In the long configuration, it only gets better.
Link Posted: 5/3/2019 3:50:19 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
@Mageever

So just to be clear from our email, the Wolfman is rated full auto for 9x39?

On that note, is the Ghost M and the Wolf 9SD?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
@Mageever

Absolutely!  I did a lot of the development with 9X39.  The old Wolf sat around 127-130dB in the full config and people generally commented it was the best can they'd heard for the round.  It now sits around 125-127dB with the Wolfman.

Quoted:
How much 5.56 punishment can it take? I know semi-auto has been mentioned, but does that mean mag dumps OK, or limited rate of fire with cool downs?
Lol.  I fell like a parent here.  Noooo... semi-auto doesn't mean full auto.  If you want full auto 5.56, we make several cans for that.  Will this take it?  Yes.  But, we also know that it's a slippery slope and people go nuts quickly and erosion happens more quickly.  We don't want to tell people to go nuts and have them be disappointed if they see some baffle erosion.  Hence the 5.56 rating with a brake to provide that "sacrificial baffle" help.

To answer your question more directly about how much punishment it can take, I've burned the cerakote off them running mag dumps. I tried to simulate someone that picked up their buddy's full auto and shot a can not knowing it was a light duty rifle can.  Realize who you're talking to.  Dead Air is a hard-use company, so our "light duty rifle" rating is probably more like other company's "normal" rating (with just means they're willing to fix it).

Quoted:
Yep.  All those have the same taper socket. We'll be offering a wipe cap upgrade program.  We just can't sell it as an accessory.  I think I already described all that.
Link Posted: 5/3/2019 4:52:37 AM EDT
[#35]
I am cursed with being a lefty and I have a Sig MPX which I love. But it is very gassy with another companies can.  Would the Wolfman be a good idea? Would it reduce the blowback on the MPX?

BTW, I have a Sandman K on my AR15 and I get zero blowback and I love that can!
Link Posted: 5/3/2019 7:25:48 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Yep.  All those have the same taper socket. We'll be offering a wipe cap upgrade program.  We just can't sell it as an accessory.  I think I already described all that.  
View Quote
If you described it I either missed it or you explained this elsewhere.  BTW I know your getting shit tons of emails, msgs, etc............ we appreciate you keeping everyone updated as best as you can. That in itself is a time consumer alongside everything else you have to do.  Good to hear about an upgrade program.  I guess my Sandman K might be making a trip to you guys some here in the near future.  I'd be curious to see with the wipe end cap how much difference it would make with .300 subs out of my bolt gun.  Would be worth it for me to send it in so I can try it.

Thanks again Todd.  If you explained more about this micro key mount brake elsewhere I've missed that as well.
Link Posted: 5/3/2019 9:33:02 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote
I thought you were referring to turning a Wolf into a Wolfman, didn't realize that you couldn't just sell the wipe front cap (sans the actual wipe) like the other different sized front caps or E-Brake you offer. So by upgrade program we're basically talking about sending in a Nomad/Sandman without the front cap, you upgrade it by screwing on the wipe front cap and send it back? Or does some machining/welding actually need to be done to accommodate the wipe front cap?
Link Posted: 5/3/2019 9:59:44 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Absolutely!  I did a lot of the development with 9X39.  The old Wolf sat around 127-130dB in the full config and people generally commented it was the best can they'd heard for the round.  It now sits around 125-127dB with the Wolfman.

Lol.  I fell like a parent here.  Noooo... semi-auto doesn't mean full auto.  If you want full auto 5.56, we make several cans for that.  Will this take it?  Yes.  But, we also know that it's a slippery slope and people go nuts quickly and erosion happens more quickly.  We don't want to tell people to go nuts and have them be disappointed if they see some baffle erosion.  Hence the 5.56 rating with a brake to provide that "sacrificial baffle" help.

To answer your question more directly about how much punishment it can take, I've burned the cerakote off them running mag dumps. I tried to simulate someone that picked up their buddy's full auto and shot a can not knowing it was a light duty rifle can.  Realize who you're talking to.  Dead Air is a hard-use company, so our "light duty rifle" rating is probably more like other company's "normal" rating (with just means they're willing to fix it).

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
@Mageever

Quoted:

Quoted:
So those of us with sandmans will be able to send in our suppressors for the upgrade???
Link Posted: 5/3/2019 1:56:08 PM EDT
[#39]
This video is great, but the lulz value would have been 100X better if, in the scene in the car where we watch Mike install the wipes, he then throws the can on the gun and blasts a mag out the window.  Then the camera could pan out and show us that he was in fact in the desert, not in the Ace parking lot like we all just thought.  Maximum troll value.
Link Posted: 5/3/2019 1:59:43 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

So those of us with sandmans will be able to send in our suppressors for the upgrade???
View Quote
If it's just the front cap swap, maybe they'll let dealer/gunsmiths do it like the Wolf wipe replacement thing.
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 1:00:50 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
No intentions of FA with it, just wanted to make sure it wasn't a 10rds, cool to ambient, or 10 rounds per minute type of thing for 5.56. Knew it wasn't a Sandman, sounds like it might be comparable to a Nomad strength wise.
Thanks.

Edit: Webpage mentions key micro brake for supersonic rifles. Does that mean the Wolfman will have some type of Keymo mount?
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 7:12:18 PM EDT
[#42]
Make the upgrade program at SOT dealer happen please! I’ve got Sandman - L, S, and K that’ll get ‘upgraded’.  Will also buy a wolfman.

Would like more info on micro keymount.
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 9:55:11 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
@Mageever

Quoted:

Quoted:
My body is ready......

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 10:01:23 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
So can I send my pyro in for the upgrade program instead of my suppressor.......?
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 10:05:54 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

So can I send my pyro in for the upgrade program instead of my suppressor.......?
View Quote
No, that's not going to work.
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 10:13:26 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why not? Same endcap? Should be able to send them in the mail since it’s not “a suppressor part”
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 11:03:13 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Why not? Same endcap? Should be able to send them in the mail since it's not "a suppressor part"
View Quote
Because it's not a suppressor already.
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 11:03:15 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Why not? Same endcap? Should be able to send them in the mail since it’s not “a suppressor part”
View Quote
They probably will be going about it the safest legal way possible as far as the NFA is concerned and avoid any kind of “opinion” letter from the ATF that may screw us all, again.
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 11:48:12 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Edit: Webpage mentions key micro brake for supersonic rifles. Does that mean the Wolfman will have some type of Keymo mount?
View Quote
One of the things I was considering the Wolf for was so I could use a 3lug and have a QD for my PR9 or my 300blk in super, so if the 300blk super now requires a special mount, sort of kills the fun for me. Though I'm not planning on purchases until the wait comes down anyway (starting to lose faith of dealers being around long term that I deal with).

I assume it takes Ghost stuff, like the Wolf did, but I don't feel like changing anything out repeatedly. Wish I could just buy one silencer per rifle...
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 11:48:52 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Why not? Same endcap? Should be able to send them in the mail since it's not "a suppressor part"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I assume the reasoning is that a wipe endcap is inherently a suppressor part.  It serves no purpose on a "brake."

This is a place where I'd rather not push my luck and end up with the ATF coming in with a hammer.
Page / 34
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top