BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 34
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 8:40:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 12:21:33 PM EDT
[#2]
I bought a wolfman from SS 2 months ago. still awaiting assignment.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 12:23:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 1:46:47 PM EDT
[#4]
SS just told me another 4 to 6 weeks for the wolfman, said deadair switched to a new larger facility :(
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 3:28:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
SS just told me another 4 to 6 weeks for the wolfman, said deadair switched to a new larger facility :(
View Quote
Deadair posted a couple days ago about the move, I think it also involved some personnel change.

My LGS use to only have Sico but added Dead Air last year and has been trying to get some Wolfman in.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 3:49:24 PM EDT
[#6]
The range tests don't really show a lot of difference between it and their test with the Omega 9k at the muzzle. That Wolfman on the space invader had a high as hell ear Db, wonder if that test is accurate on that gun?

Omega 9k - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-O7_7ERk28&feature=emb_logo
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 4:50:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Also interesting with the wipe there was increased at ear dB in short mode (as I’d expect with a wipe holding pressure in the can longer), but was quieter at ear with a wipe in long mode.  All the at ear were close enough that short mode wipeless makes sense for the shooter.

I wonder how an MP5 or CMMG radially delayed blowback host would differ?  I assume the Noveske Space invader is straight blowback.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 5:20:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
Damn
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 9:48:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If you film this in 4K slow-mo, we might consider warrantying it too.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought up an idea and called DA today. Since the brake is .12" too long and I don't want to, but would cut off the last chamber of the brake, I came up with an alternative idea. Copper crush washer! I plan on putting it between the can and the Micro Key-mo adapter. I was told that in reality the internal spacing needed by the Wolfman is about half of the .12" so I ordered from McMaster part number 97725A126. These are the correct ID and about 2mm thick (.079"). I will report back if it fits the adapter at least. I got my SOT looking for me a can. The person I spoke to at DA also asked if I would call back and let them know how it turns out.
If you film this in 4K slow-mo, we might consider warrantying it too.  
Washer installed. Just waiting for my SOT to find me the other end....
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 9:52:57 PM EDT
[#10]
You guys are like a bunch of women working in a hair salon.

--As stated, no personnel changes here at Dead Air.  Rod did just move on in customer service, but that was for a better opportunity for him.  He'll be sorely missed.

--Yes, we moved manufacturing facilities.  The process involved integrating ourselves into a new manufacturing partner, moving machines, adding new machines, and creating new processes.  We're greatly augmenting our ability to meet demand and provide the highest quality product possible.

--The Space Invader is a blowback operated AR.  The fact it can be hearing safe for the shooter is a miracle.  The at-ear sound on such a host will always go up as you make the can longer or add a wipe.  The gas has to go somewhere.

--Never read too much into video reproduction of sound.  The audio is usually clipped and it's all leveled out.  There are tricks for gauging loudness, though.  Like listening for the clipping effect and sound reflection in the environment.  When it clips, it totally goes quiet or it mutes everything.  When you can hear planes flying over as they shoot and it doesn't clip that sound, you know it was pretty quiet.  Also, if you can hear brass tinkling or trigger resets is another pointer.  In this case, they did about as good you can with the varying recording bits they had from different days in different settings.

--Wolfman suppressors are in production now and will be shipping very soon.  I can't say beyond that without blowing relationships with wholesalers and the operations guys, so do me a favor and don't ask.  Note that just because they ship, you may not be the first to get one.  We started our move with a back order, but this next batch will completely resolve that.

Thanks for everyone's patience there!

Todd Magee
Dead Air Engineering
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 10:30:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Any eta on 5/8” micro brakes? I’ve been on Hansohns wait list for them since day 1 and no word yet.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 10:35:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 10:43:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
You guys are like a bunch of women working in a hair salon.

--As stated, no personnel changes here at Dead Air.  Rod did just move on in customer service, but that was for a better opportunity for him.  He'll be sorely missed.

--Yes, we moved manufacturing facilities.  The process involved integrating ourselves into a new manufacturing partner, moving machines, adding new machines, and creating new processes.  We're greatly augmenting our ability to meet demand and provide the highest quality product possible.

--The Space Invader is a blowback operated AR.  The fact it can be hearing safe for the shooter is a miracle.  The at-ear sound on such a host will always go up as you make the can longer or add a wipe.  The gas has to go somewhere.

--Never read too much into video reproduction of sound.  The audio is usually clipped and it's all leveled out.  There are tricks for gauging loudness, though.  Like listening for the clipping effect and sound reflection in the environment.  When it clips, it totally goes quiet or it mutes everything.  When you can hear planes flying over as they shoot and it doesn't clip that sound, you know it was pretty quiet.  Also, if you can hear brass tinkling or trigger resets is another pointer.  In this case, they did about as good you can with the varying recording bits they had from different days in different settings.

--Wolfman suppressors are in production now and will be shipping very soon.  I can't say beyond that without blowing relationships with wholesalers and the operations guys, so do me a favor and don't ask.  Note that just because they ship, you may not be the first to get one.  We started our move with a back order, but this next batch will completely resolve that.

Todd Magee
Dead Air Engineering
View Quote
How much longer on the three lug mounts? I sent one back to yall the  first week of November because it was slipping and loose on all my barrels. I still dont have the new replacement back. Been told 3 different timelines from Rod. 4 months now I haven't been able to use my Wolfman. Hosted 2 shooting events that I wasn't able to let people shoot the Wolfman on my Scorpion and other PCCs. Any info is appreciated.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 12:41:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Also interesting with the wipe there was increased at ear dB in short mode (as I’d expect with a wipe holding pressure in the can longer), but was quieter at ear with a wipe in long mode.  All the at ear were close enough that short mode wipeless makes sense for the shooter.

I wonder how an MP5 or CMMG radially delayed blowback host would differ?  I assume the Noveske Space invader is straight blowback.
View Quote
blowback guns are defiantly louder than a delayed gun, they also suck ass for gas in the face. I dismantled my 9mm blowback upper.

I have both of the above and shoot the wolfman with wipe/long,  its so choice. I cant tell the difference with the wipe on the long setup but the wipe is shot out and Ive been too lazy to fix it.

On the short version the wipe is basically worthless and you do get more gas/noise.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 12:45:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Todd Magee
Dead Air Engineering
View Quote
The wolfman will be the first cans I will stock when my SOT is paid for in may-hopfully there will be stock by then.

Every time I shoot them at the range, people always ask what it is.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 7:05:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Have had one on back order since late December.
Disappointed that big online seller has kept changing excuses.
Two weeks ago, was told that the Wolfman was shipping and they would have theirs by the next week.
Now told that Dear Air is moving, new manufacturing, etc. - with no firm ETA.
Lots of potential quality red flags.
Don't know if I want to get one of the first off the new line.  Then wait a year for the Stamp, only to get stuck with a lemon.
Im already expecting to get slammed by those fans who'll tell me DeadAir's quality and service has always been wonderful.  I'm sure it is; until it isn't...
Maybe need to consider something else instead...
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 7:14:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Two weeks ago, was told that the Wolfman was shipping and they would have theirs by the next week.
Don't know if I want to get one of the first off the new line.  Then wait a year for the Stamp, only to get stuck with a lemon.
Im already expecting to get slammed by those fans who'll tell me DeadAir's quality and service has always been wonderful.  I'm sure it is; until it isn't...
View Quote
Just cancelled my order for all of the above reasons. Plenty of time to grab one in the future once things are up and running.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 8:20:47 PM EDT
[#18]
2 on GB last I checked....
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 8:56:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
They switched to a whole new manufacturing plant. Real world things happen to businesses. I see your point about getting one of the first off the new line, but its not like they aren't going to inspect them for QC issues.

The wolfman offers more for PCC than anything else on the market or currently coming to market
1) A modular can with more suppression than anything else
2) Short version is a perfect balance of length/weight/suppression
3) offers a wipe for stupid quiet subs
4) works great on 300 blackout and 5.56

Convince me I'm wrong. At most you'll have to wait 4 weeks to get an order in. 4 weeks at the end of 9 months doesn't seem too bad.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 9:04:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

The wolfman offers more for PCC than anything else on the market or currently coming to market

Convince me I'm wrong. At most you'll have to wait 4 weeks to get an order in. 4 weeks at the end of 9 months doesn't seem too bad.
View Quote
Not going to try and convince you that you're wrong, but I don't see it being any better than the Omega 36m with a PCC, and I'd argue that the Omega is even more versatile with not needing a proprietary brake/mount to shoot high pressure rifle rounds.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 9:26:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

They switched to a whole new manufacturing plant. Real world things happen to businesses. I see your point about getting one of the first off the new line, but its not like they aren't going to inspect them for QC issues.

View Quote
I was already at 8 weeks and there have been several problems reported recently. Another 4 weeks isn’t cutting it, but this does explain the DA sale at the end of last year.  No cans in stock but lots of coupons...that couldn’t be used until a Form 4 was cashed.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 9:41:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
I have determined mine is a lemon. Same issues as before. Honestly not happy with it at all. I have tried five different 9mm cans on my various hosts and no issues with them. The issue has to be my wolfman. Hell my serial numbers don’t even line up and that’s supposed to be an indication things are lined up properly
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 9:55:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I have determined mine is a lemon. Same issues as before. Honestly not happy with it at all. I have tried five different 9mm cans on my various hosts and no issues with them. The issue has to be my wolfman. Hell my serial numbers don’t even line up and that’s supposed to be an indication things are lined up properly
View Quote
You have the worst luck with this stuff.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 10:05:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
Damn. I know I’ve hassled you before but your story was the one that kept coming back when I canceled my order.

Really sorry this is happening for you, and even more sorry your repair didn’t work out.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 10:22:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Not going to try and convince you that you're wrong, but I don't see it being any better than the Omega 36m with a PCC, and I'd argue that the Omega is even more versatile with not needing a proprietary brake/mount to shoot high pressure rifle rounds.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Well I hadn't really researched the Omega 36m because it didn't interest me after getting the Wolf. But comparing the two, the wolfman has greater diameter and no outer tube to inflate said diameter and weighs 2 ounces less.

The 36m is overbored which is great for shooting 338 lapua, but probably doesn't translate too well to 9mm and even worse to 5.56. Shooting magnum rifle rounds and 9mm out of the same suppressor doesn't interest me, but I can see the appeal.

I see your point about the mount, but you're still going to need to buy a brake for each gun or separate 5/8x24 mount if you want to direct thread onto most 30 caliber guns. The keymo system is proven and probably the most reliable QD system on the market. It does add significant length and weight.  I don't use it, but I may down the road if I decide to use my wolfman on 5.56 etc

I'll be awaiting the side by side comparison for the 36m and the wolfman. I have a gut feeling the 9mm PCC performance will be a let down.

Quoted:

What issues are you having again? I think I remember you posting something, but I forgot
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 10:35:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Well I hadn't really researched the Omega 36m because it didn't interest me after getting the Wolf. But comparing the two, the wolfman has greater diameter and no outer tube to inflate said diameter and weighs 2 ounces less.

The 36m is overbored which is great for shooting 338 lapua, but probably doesn't translate too well to 9mm and even worse to 5.56. Shooting magnum rifle rounds and 9mm out of the same suppressor doesn't interest me, but I can see the appeal.

I see your point about the mount, but you're still going to need to buy a brake for each gun or separate 5/8x24 mount if you want to direct thread onto most 30 caliber guns. The keymo system is proven and probably the most reliable QD system on the market. It does add significant length and weight.  I don't use it, but I may down the road if I decide to use my wolfman on 5.56 etc

I'll be awaiting the side by side comparison for the 36m and the wolfman. I have a gut feeling the 9mm PCC performance will be a let down.

What issues are you having again? I think I remember you posting something, but I forgot
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Alignment issues. Every 9mm barrel I screw it on always leans to the same side with an alignment rod. I put a mark on my can so I can tell where it’s at. Every barrel always leans to that side. Use the same barrels and rods with other cans and it’s perfectly centered. Dead air took 8 weeks to look at it and say “it’s within our spec” then sent it back. I’m really not happy with this can.

Always looks like this.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 10:47:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Alignment issues. Every 9mm barrel I screw it on always leans to the same side with an alignment rod. I put a mark on my can so I can tell where it’s at. Every barrel always leans to that side. Use the same barrels and rods with other cans and it’s perfectly centered. Dead air took 8 weeks to look at it and say “it’s within our spec” then sent it back. I’m really not happy with this can.

Always looks like this.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/296004/DD68F2A5-4D12-499F-A7AE-E52767CA162E_jpe-1275284.JPG
View Quote
Does it affect accuracy?
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 10:50:20 PM EDT
[#28]
I just got my Wolfman, pretty excited

91 days from check cashing to approval (individual). Check cashed 11/13

However, I am disappointed I can’t find a 3 lug mount after searching for about two months.  I was initially told Feb, now March. Anyone have an ETA on these?
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 10:50:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Does it affect accuracy?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Always looks like this.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/296004/DD68F2A5-4D12-499F-A7AE-E52767CA162E_jpe-1275284.JPG
Does it affect accuracy?
Not that I know of. Two hosts I can’t use because it actually rubs the endcap. I had an endcap strike so I bought a rod to start checking. Then I realized I had an issue with the can.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 11:19:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Not that I know of. Two hosts I can’t use because it actually rubs the endcap. I had an endcap strike so I bought a rod to start checking. Then I realized I had an issue with the can.
View Quote
Does this apply:

If you are not 100% satisfied with your suppressor after your Form 4 is approved, you may return it to ******** **** for a full refund (in the form of a Gift Certificate) of the silencer (minus Tax Stamp) within 90 days of your Form 4 approval date.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 11:25:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
At that point I would send it to Morgan and see what his test says. He just posted about OEM stuff being off.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/equipment-exchange/Barrel-Threading-sale-50-PTR-91-Aug-Scar-Sig-MPX-Beretta-21A-FAL-PAPM92-Pin-and-Welds/143-1029861/&page=64&anc=5624216#i5624216
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 11:26:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Does this apply:

If you are not 100% satisfied with your suppressor after your Form 4 is approved, you may return it to ******** **** for a full refund (in the form of a Gift Certificate) of the silencer (minus Tax Stamp) within 90 days of your Form 4 approval date.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Does this apply:

Guess it’s been over 90 days now since the form 4 cleared. But dead air had it longer then I had it.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 11:35:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Always looks like this.
View Quote
That's unfortunate. Definitely a mark against Dead Air. Maybe they don't know how to make it right if the issue is at the mounting interface where it's serialized, which might be even worse. I'd be pissed about the whole 8 weeks thing too, considering they didn't do Jack and you already had an end cap strike. It would be another thing entirely if it took them 8 weeks and they fixed it. I guess end cap strikes are within spec?

@Mageever
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 11:38:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
That just sucks so badly
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 11:41:15 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
That's unfortunate. Definitely a mark against Dead Air. Maybe they don't know how to make it right if the issue is at the mounting interface where it's serialized, which might be even worse. I'd be pissed about the whole 8 weeks thing too, considering they didn't do Jack and you already had an end cap strike. It would be another thing entirely if it took them 8 weeks and they fixed it. I guess end cap strikes are within spec?

@Mageever
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Always looks like this.

@Mageever
Todd said he looked at it himself when he was in GA. Said it was within spec. Funny thing is they even sent it back with my struck endcap. Did not even replace that.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 11:58:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Todd said he looked at it himself when he was in GA. Said it was within spec. Funny thing is they even sent it back with my struck endcap. Did not even replace that.
View Quote
Damn. I would really love to hear his explanation and side of the story.. something seems off. Almost like they were pissed off at you and telling you to kick rocks.

Hopefully this is not the new dead air customer service we can come to expect.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 12:02:16 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Damn. I would really love to hear his explanation and side of the story.. something seems off. Almost like they were pissed off at you and telling you to kick rocks.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

All of this took place during their manufacturing switching around so everyone was all over the place. Todd and Rod were good to talk to. I was very nice whole time and they were nice as well. Maybe Todd could get on here and explain something’s but I don’t know what else could be said honestly.
I got a lemon and that’s what I get I guess.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 8:22:08 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

All of this took place during their manufacturing switching around so everyone was all over the place. Todd and Rod were good to talk to. I was very nice whole time and they were nice as well. Maybe Todd could get on here and explain something’s but I don’t know what else could be said honestly.
I got a lemon and that’s what I get I guess.
View Quote
Then dead air should replace it

I thought it was #NoQuarter?
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 8:29:32 AM EDT
[#39]
Dead Air sent it back WITH the striked endcap?  That's messed up!
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 8:33:23 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Dead Air sent it back WITH the striked endcap?  That's messed up!
View Quote
Yes
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 9:37:41 AM EDT
[#41]
There any 1/2-28 pistons for these anywhere in stock?
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 12:57:16 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Yes
View Quote
do you have pictures?
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 1:01:27 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
do you have pictures?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes
do you have pictures?
They are in my original thread https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/Had-my-first-endcap-strike-Dead-air-wolfman-UPDATE-/20-504472/
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 1:19:18 PM EDT
[#44]
View All Quotes

“there was a deformation in one of the baffles so we are replacing them. we are out of blast baffles but should have them first of the week. we will get that can rebuilt out to you like brand new”
So they didn't do that?
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 3:40:00 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
So they didn't do that?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

“there was a deformation in one of the baffles so we are replacing them. we are out of blast baffles but should have them first of the week. we will get that can rebuilt out to you like brand new”
So they didn't do that?
I don’t think so. Todd about a month after that said everything inside looked fine. That is from the sales guy in Utah not GA.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 3:40:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
So they didn't do that?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

So they didn't do that?
I don’t think so. Todd about a month after that said everything inside looked fine. That is from the sales guy in Utah not GA.
Maybe Todd can get on here and explain it. But I’m not happy with this can. Kinda sucks
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 4:00:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Then dead air should replace it

I thought it was #NoQuarter?
View Quote
Even YHM will replace the can for free AND pay the stamp once if YOU are the knucklehead. I'm sure that would apply also if YHM didn't make that particular can correct in their manufacturing process
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 4:03:11 PM EDT
[#48]
Send the can to http://class3machining.com/, Morgan is active here and has a fool proof way to check it in a lathe.
He found two mounts and one can that were bad just recently.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 4:29:50 PM EDT
[#49]
Just pulled it out of the safe to check with some 556 guns.
Here is my wolfman on 556 AR with keymicro brake.

Attachment Attached File

Same rifle and brake with sandman S

Attachment Attached File

Even tired it with a flash hider with same results

Attachment Attached File

Geissele rod

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 5:07:40 PM EDT
[#50]
@1911XDM, with the direct line of contact with me I wish you would've contacted me directly with your dissatisfaction.

Now that you've made this public, let's get it out there for everyone.  I'm in the middle of flying back and forth ramping up a new manufacturing facility and got directly involved with your CS issue because I wanted to get you take care of.  Here's what I found:
  • Your suppressor had 17 thou' runout.  That's .017".  I'll post a video of it.  This is easily within any manufacturers spec for a welded structure this long.

• Your mount caused additional runout. The mount that comes with the Wolfman is meant to be muzzle face seating primarily and then shoulder if the threads are short enough.  There was something wrong with that one and it was replaced with a new one.  I believe that face-seating mount doesn't play well with your rifles.  I offered you a new shoulder-seating mount in addition to this, but couldn't ship it because we're currently out of stock.  You were notified of this.  I offered you my own, but I haven't home long enough to drive to the office to pick it up and send it to you and I got the impression you wanted the new one, which is understandable.

• No welded structure is perfectly straight.  When I inspected yours the EDM cut inside ran perfectly straight with an alignment rod.  The front cap is oversized because cutting the front cap with the EDM is not an option. It's oversized based on the allowable runout from the welded structure.  The front cap is rarely dead center because of this.  

• The strike on the wipe retainer inside the cap was so light I wasn't sure if it was bullet strike or if it was ding from using a socket driver on it.  I had no indication that you wanted this replaced and it never jumped out at me to do so. You're communication to me after you ran it with the new direct thread mount was that it was improved, albeit not perfect.

• I wish you would've sent me the photos you just posted. You don't have to post publicly to reach me.  You have my personal contact info. It could've have helped me explain the mount requirement or even the need to get your can back in and revisit it.  Either way you know I'm going to take care of it.

• We left off with you needing the different mount.  Will you let me get that take care of?  I know I'm a little busy and we're in the middle of getting a whole manufacturing facility up and running so most everyone's on hold also.  There can always be issues, but we promise to always fix them.

Thanks,

Todd Magee
Dead Air Engineering
Page / 34
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top