Page / 17
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 2:00:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 2:01:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 2:53:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Great job for making the repairs..but this QC issue honestly cost you at least one customer from getting this suppressor (me) and went with a YHM instead. I didn't want to get a suppressor only to find out right away I need to send it in for a repair...to me thats a bit salty.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 3:00:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Great job for making the repairs..but this QC issue honestly cost you at least one customer from getting this suppressor (me) and went with a YHM instead. I didn't want to get a suppressor only to find out right away I need to send it in for a repair...to me thats a bit salty.
View Quote
QC isn’t the issue for me. Stuff happens. CS is the issue.

I went with a SiCo Hybrid over the new Griffin because of this thread. Also decided ASR over Griffin Taper because of this thread.

There’s no way in hell I’d give this company my money after reading through all this.

Did OP ever get his shipping costs refunded like he was promised?
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 4:35:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 5:36:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

When you're talking about a handful of people with one issue in tens upon tens of thousands of silencers sold over 14 years in business, this is obviously unfair as a gross miss-characterization.  I remember a thread on here about a Yankee Hill customer who had a rear weld separate and his phantom 556 shoot downrange.  He sent it for a repair, and then it happened again, and he sent it again, and he was saying, how many times should I have to do this?  I also remember a customer with a YHM can posting about his problem that required another tax stamp payment.

So I hope you have better luck than those two.  You can't pretend there weren't threads you could have found to give you pause with many other competitive brands.  I know nobody in silencers gets beat up like Griffin Armament, and that goes way back to Kevin, but we're doing well, we're strong as ever, and we're going to do better every year like we've done for the last 10 plus years.   That growth isn't ego powered.  It's powered by an overwhelming majority of customers having great experiences with Griffin Armament products.  We appreciate the customers who's business we earn with hard work and dedication to this industry.
View Quote
HOW IS IT GROSS MISS-CHARACTERIZATION...look at this thread and how many people have reported this issue...I, personally do not want to deal with all this if I buy a new RECCE...wait 6+ months for approval and to only find out it has a problem that is known to Griffin but they didnt recall all the outstanding inventory for a quality check.

Sure...things happen...its life. ALL brands have issues...there is no doubt...not just suppressors...look at Geissele right now...they are hurting pretty bad with QC.

But knowing that there is a good chance I would have to send back a suppressor right off the bat before even firing the stupid thing is not cool...who knows how many are out there that have this issue...I sure as heck dont want to spend all this money than to right away cut it, fix it and re-welded it back up like that...its not a good customer experience. You should, call back all the suppressors that are unsold and make the repairs BEFORE the customers gets it in their hand...you know the problem...get a head of it. It is all about the customer experience...

Second little business 1:1 ... it is one thing for us, customers, to throw a brand under the bus ... but for you to represent Griffin and now trying to nullify my YHM purchase by giving me examples of how their stuff failed is just NOT COOL and you shouldn't do that. You just solidified my YHM purchase even more...that was a bit low.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 5:43:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

HOW IS IT GROSS MISS-CHARACTERIZATION...look at this thread and how many people have reported this issue...I, personally do not want to deal with all this if I buy a new RECCE...wait 6+ months for approval and to only find out it has a problem that is known to Griffin but they didnt recall all the outstanding inventory for a quality check.

Sure...things happen...its life. ALL brands have issues...there is no doubt...not just suppressors...look at Geissele right now...they are hurting pretty bad with QC.

But knowing that there is a good chance I would have to send back a suppressor right off the bat before even firing the stupid thing is not cool...who knows how many are out there that have this issue...I sure as heck dont want to spend all this money than to right away cut it, fix it and re-welded it back up like that...its not a good customer experience. You should, call back all the suppressors that are unsold and make the repairs BEFORE the customers gets it in their hand...you know the problem...get a head of it. It is all about the customer experience...

Second little business 1:1 ... it is one thing for us, customers, to throw a brand under the bus ... but for you to represent Griffin and now trying to nullify my YHM purchase by giving me examples of how their stuff failed is just NOT COOL and you shouldn't do that. You just solidified my YHM purchase even more...that was a bit low.
View Quote
Par for the course and one of the reason you see people shy away. It's not a product problem.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 5:48:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
You’re making an assumption that GA knows exactly which cans have the issue and which do not.  What if they don’t?  Is it reasonable to expect them to recall every Recce out there waiting in jail and cut them open, only to possibly find out that some never would have rattled?  I wouldn’t want my can cut open without there being an actual issue, but that’s just my opinion.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 6:05:08 PM EDT
[#9]
I just checked both of my Recce 5 and 7, and they do NOT rattle at all.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 6:09:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

You’re making an assumption that GA knows exactly which cans have the issue and which do not.  What if they don’t?  Is it reasonable to expect them to recall every Recce out there waiting in jail and cut them open, only to possibly find out that some never would have rattled?  I wouldn’t want my can cut open without there being an actual issue, but that’s just my opinion.
View Quote
That’s scary
IIRC, it was attributed to a human welder
Controls should be in place to isolate a S/n range
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 6:58:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
It's not virtual it's very real...

When the Owner of the company states that "They had a minor assembly issue that manifested itself in a clicking sound when shaken.  We serviced the clicking sound because it was a serviceable issue causing customer concern." For a self proclaimed "sniper/engineer" he is some how oblivious to the fact that when a baffle comes loose in a suppressor the POI becomes abysmal. He is making it sound like "these petty ass customers where whining about some minor clicking sound".

He also stated "The cans were never going to fail."  They should have never passed QC. They failed the minute they were placed in the box and sent out.

The definition of "DEFECTIVE" is: 1a: having a defect or flaw : imperfect in form, structure, or function.

How many DEFECTIVE suppressors has been listed on this thread alone?

I just want a "Hey guys, we fucked up, let us make it right." But we are past that point....

So I won't recommend GA, when someone asks: What should I buy? My response will be "Anything but GA".

I already ordered a Surefire RC2, and I will order the new SIG SLX556 when it becomes available. The Recce will either float to the back of the safe or I will send it out in style afterwards sending a certificate of destruction to the NFA branch.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your increase in virtual rage on just this page alone is interesting to see. Is there something behind the scenes we don't know about or are you really able to go from satisfied to the opposite over one page in a thread?
It's not virtual it's very real...

When the Owner of the company states that "They had a minor assembly issue that manifested itself in a clicking sound when shaken.  We serviced the clicking sound because it was a serviceable issue causing customer concern." For a self proclaimed "sniper/engineer" he is some how oblivious to the fact that when a baffle comes loose in a suppressor the POI becomes abysmal. He is making it sound like "these petty ass customers where whining about some minor clicking sound".

He also stated "The cans were never going to fail."  They should have never passed QC. They failed the minute they were placed in the box and sent out.

The definition of "DEFECTIVE" is: 1a: having a defect or flaw : imperfect in form, structure, or function.

How many DEFECTIVE suppressors has been listed on this thread alone?

I just want a "Hey guys, we fucked up, let us make it right." But we are past that point....

So I won't recommend GA, when someone asks: What should I buy? My response will be "Anything but GA".

I already ordered a Surefire RC2, and I will order the new SIG SLX556 when it becomes available. The Recce will either float to the back of the safe or I will send it out in style afterwards sending a certificate of destruction to the NFA branch.
You should cut it in half and post pictures.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 7:32:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
No...its called a TSB...Technical Service Bulletin...you write up a service bulletin that you send out to your dealers. Your dealers would then test and check for the issue...in this case...loose parts inside the can...if the can exhibits the issue at hand...send it back to the OEM. It is not rocket science guys. This can be remedied relatively easy...

But, if proper QA/QC processes are in place...GA should be able know which serial numbers are effected by this...if they can't...well...they need to invest into some lean six sigma measures.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 8:24:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 8:28:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

No...its called a TSB...Technical Service Bulletin...you write up a service bulletin that you send out to your dealers. Your dealers would then test and check for the issue...in this case...loose parts inside the can...if the can exhibits the issue at hand...send it back to the OEM. It is not rocket science guys. This can be remedied relatively easy...

But, if proper QA/QC processes are in place...GA should be able know which serial numbers are effected by this...if they can't...well...they need to invest into some lean six sigma measures.
View Quote
Why can’t anyone who has a can in jail not do that themselves?  Call their dealer or stop by and give it a shake if they’re concerned?  That might be more efficient, since I’m sure that many cans were sold through places like SilencerShop and GA doesn’t know where they ultimately ended up.  Also, what about those cans that didn’t exhibit the problem until it was shot?  Mine was like that, I could have gone and shaken it while it was in jail, but I’d still be in the same place that I’m at now.  As far as whether their QC should have caught it, or whether they should have the records you mention, it’s past that point.  Hopefully, they’ve changed things, but that has no impact on those already out there.

I get it, it sucks.  I know.  I just got a 5.7 upper that I wanted to try my Recce 5 out on, but now that has to wait until the can comes back from being repaired.  I had to send in my new EXPLORR because there were scratches in the taper surface, one of which had some raised metal that was displaced from the scratch.  But, at this point, there isn’t much that can be done on my end because whatever happened has already happened.  After investing the money, and the 10 months of waiting, all I expect is that my cans get fixed, and that’s what’s being done, at no cost to me.  Shit happens, and it’s unfortunate, but it does.  I’m not throwing away my cans or never buying again over this.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 8:55:06 PM EDT
[#15]
This thread makes me want to pity buy a GA p365 threaded barrel and AK taper mount flash hider.  Or if they came out with a GP5K I would buy that tonight.  Honestly I'm tempted by the Bushwhacker 45 just so I have an excuse to buy a big bore lever gun with a threaded barrel.

Sorry GA.  Love my Optimus.  Been using it for about two years now and still very happy with it.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 9:00:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Because it is not the dang customers responsibility to check the freaking can if its jacked up or not...that should be on GA...my Class 3 dealer is fairly far away.

Of course you shouldn't throw away your can...but good grief man...the fact that you are ok with GA not doing anything to try and mitigate the problem before it gets to the end user is a surprise coming from someone that is experiencing the issue.

GA needs to get ahead of this issue that can potentially impact outstanding inventory should be priority #1 and they need to mitigate it...if it doesn't happen until it is fired...fine...warranty takes care of it (and they are doing what they can and should)...but dang...when did it become ok for companies not doing their own due diligence while expecting the end users to do their jobs...

Literally this is how simple it is. GA knows ALL of their dealers they sent suppressors out to...its federal law...so you write an email to all your dealers stating:

Dear Dealers,

We have found a manufacturing problem that can arise in the RECCE cans. The issue is that there can be some rattling within the can that is present when shaking. Please check your inventory and see if any RECCE cans exhibit this issue and if so, please contact us at XXX-XXX-XXXX and we will remedy the problem. If you have any questions, feel free to contact us at that number.

Sincerley,

GA Customer Service

------

After that...GA needs to make a public announcement both on their website and their social media pages and give the customers the service bulletin.

ITS NOT THAT FREAKING HARD......
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 9:09:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
In their defense, I assume they probably have the same QA/QC controls that a lot of suppressor companies have and it works just fine.  I get turned off by GA because of their posting on here.  It is like Green0 is responding to every post like KB, but KB doesn't do forum posts. I can tolerate KB because I have to choose to listen to his podcasts and ranting.  I think it is Green0 who I have listened to on various podcasts and he sounds like a really decent dude (gunfunny and another one IIRC).  Not a big fan of strict adherence to CPA doctrines like lean six sigma, but assume they can also be applied to social media outreach and customer service with success.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 9:40:21 PM EDT
[#18]
I was one who had an issue with my recce 7. I am totally satisfied with how it was handled. Seems like a lot of people getting worked up over something that they are taking care of....

I also don’t think it has any long term effect on the can many of us have had can’t cut p/ reweled to change mount styles. Or even recored this is that same as that no detrament other than time away.

I’ll buy more griffin cans I like the designs
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 12:38:25 PM EDT
[#19]
GA has been updating/upgrading their Recce 5 and 7 cans with new "Mod" versions. I am sure they are looking into this matter and working very hard to mitigate the issues and make better version in their future "Mod".
Everyone learns from this matter for both customers and GA, so next something similar happens (i hope not), we all will do better in terms of CS and response to CS etc.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 9:43:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Well. Got my RECCE 5 back in January and have been loving it. Zero issues or rattling. Just took it off my rifle tonight and guess what? Severe rattling. I’ll be contacting Griffin tomorrow I guess. Hopefully will get it taken care of quickly.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 10:26:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Y’all are scaring me for when I get back to the states and turn a bunch of money into muffled noise
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 12:14:41 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Glck1911:
Well. Got my RECCE 5 back in January and have been loving it. Zero issues or rattling. Just took it off my rifle tonight and guess what? Severe rattling. I’ll be contacting Griffin tomorrow I guess. Hopefully will get it taken care of quickly.
View Quote

How many rounds since repair?  My 7 has been flawless since repair, but probably with only a couple hundred rounds of 7.62, 300 BO, and 5.56
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 9:28:20 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By nelsd99:

How many rounds since repair?  My 7 has been flawless since repair, but probably with only a couple hundred rounds of 7.62, 300 BO, and 5.56
View Quote

My apologies.  I didn't mean I got it back from repair, I meant I got it new in January.  I guess I shouldn't have used "back".  I'm about to call CS right now.  I have no doubts they will make it right.
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 7:12:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Just to bump this thread with a positive review of @GRIFFIN_ARMAMENT .

I had a rattle with my Recce 5 after about 3 shooting sessions. Sent an email, had a return label the same day. Took about 2 weeks but I got it back today. Looks like they replaced the entire baffle stack (which looks goldish, I don’t remember the old stack looking that way new). They were even able to oblige my request to use FDE cerakote when it was refinished instead of black. I’m a happy camper.

Note: Y’all should offer FDE as an option to begin with

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 7:41:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Just to bump this thread with a positive review of @GRIFFIN_ARMAMENT .

I had a rattle with my Recce 5 after about 3 shooting sessions. Sent an email, had a return label the same day. Took about 2 weeks but I got it back today. Looks like they replaced the entire baffle stack (which looks goldish, I don’t remember the old stack looking that way new). They were even able to oblige my request to use FDE cerakote when it was refinished instead of black. I’m a happy camper.

Note: Y’all should offer FDE as an option to begin with

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/115870/E6BD48C9-62AE-4E71-9FCB-B8974C0CB17D_jpe-1502673.JPG
View Quote

This was my experience. They took care of me. Silencer came back looking new. Still mounts and sounds the same. Happy camper. I wish I would have known about the FDE!
Link Posted: 8/29/2021 8:00:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Sorry to resurrect this thread but does anyone know the serial range of the effected cans?  A couple of friends have some Recce’s sitting in NFA jail at a local dealer.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/29/2021 8:07:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/29/2021 8:31:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Sorry to resurrect this thread but does anyone know the serial range of the effected cans?  A couple of friends have some Recce’s sitting in NFA jail at a local dealer.  Thanks.
View Quote

If you read through the thread, no serial number range has ever been admitted.  But, if you look through the dates of the posts, the issues were over a year an a half ago, and it’s likely that cans newer than that don’t have the issue.  Also, if your friends are worried, they can go to the dealers and shake their cans.
Link Posted: 8/29/2021 8:57:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

If you read through the thread, no serial number range has ever been admitted.  But, if you look through the dates of the posts, the issues were over a year an a half ago, and it’s likely that cans newer than that don’t have the issue.  Also, if your friends are worried, they can go to the dealers and shake their cans.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My SOT won’t discount anything for shaking my can… YMMV
Link Posted: 8/30/2021 8:50:36 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/30/2021 9:24:25 AM EDT
[#31]
Now quick….  Lock the thread and let it archive.
Link Posted: 8/30/2021 1:13:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Now quick….  Lock the thread and let it archive.
View Quote

Bump
Link Posted: 11/17/2021 5:56:42 PM EDT
[#33]
As a prospective Recce 5 Mod 4 buyer I was linked to this thread... hope I don't piss too many people off necro'ing it.

Does it seem like this rattling issue is resolved by now? Are there any recent reports from the last year or so?
Link Posted: 11/17/2021 8:25:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 11/17/2021 8:42:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

The warranty service process is a process that requires the product to be sent in.  Some guys don't use a product for years after buying it.  The warranty is marketed as perpetual for a reason.  It isn't a 1 year warranty like at least one highly respected industry company has on manufacturing defects.  

The Mod 04 core is laser welded.  It's a different process- the laser welding is CNC controlled and the human influence isn't a factor in it- the machine can't skip a weld or provide a low quality weld.  The Mod 04 features a number of enhancements (test fire QC, the RI [rapid index] mount, the ECO-FLOW, laser welded stack, the most cosmetically perfect front cap weld yet) and is the best Recce 5 to date.

View Quote
Never capable of posting without negative comments about other companies.
Link Posted: 11/17/2021 9:29:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 11/17/2021 9:38:28 PM EDT
[#37]
I recommend to my friends that they run their cans hard, or at least thoroughly, early after taking possession. Many quality escapes or material defects show up as “infant mortality”.  Unfortunately about a quarter treat suppressors as “precious” rather than tools.  My hearing aid stocks are strategically positioned for the great deafening.
Link Posted: 11/17/2021 11:04:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

The warranty service process is a process that requires the product to be sent in.  Some guys don't use a product for years after buying it.  The warranty is marketed as perpetual for a reason.  It isn't a 1 year warranty like at least one highly respected industry company has on manufacturing defects.  

The Mod 04 core is laser welded.  It's a different process- the laser welding is CNC controlled and the human influence isn't a factor in it- the machine can't skip a weld or provide a low quality weld.  The Mod 04 features a number of enhancements (test fire QC, the RI [rapid index] mount, the ECO-FLOW, laser welded stack, the most cosmetically perfect front cap weld yet) and is the best Recce 5 to date.

View Quote

What does another company's warranty have to do with anything?
Link Posted: 11/17/2021 11:16:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Some guys don't use a product for years after buying it.
Link Posted: 11/17/2021 11:21:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 11/17/2021 11:27:53 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

I saw that. A potential customer was asking about a specific product to his company. Confirming or assuring his own company's policy was all thats needed without disparaging another's
Link Posted: 11/18/2021 10:37:53 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Warranties are an important aspect of suppressor ownership, use, longevity, and pricing. We now know through recent posts that one of the low cost manufacturers won’t warranty failures from use of another company’s mount on their cans that advertise as a feature standardized mount threading.  So comparing warranties is a valid concern and companies actually explaining how they treat their warranties is useful info when it comes up.
Link Posted: 11/18/2021 11:24:50 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
When this issue happened I think it was several years and about 5000 recce cans ago (4-5 production runs back). It was related to the performance of an employee long since removed from the team.  We have serviced very close to 100%, or all of the affected cans.  We test fire all the cans so if you are concerned regardless of the age of this issue, and pick one up and shake it and there is no noise, that means it isn't one of the affected cans.

The recce cans are now transitioning to laser welded.  Laser produces exceptionally consistent welds with ideal 95-100% penetration and that will allow the cans to normalize heat very quickly, which will make them more durable.   That also removes the majority of human interaction as that process is automatic CNC controlled. They aren't having durability issues on the pre laser tig welds, you can run a 14.5" gun through 8 magazines in three minutes and the can comes through that looking brand new.  Thats a combat load.  

The recce cans are very durable but we take the infantry handbook to heart and we constantly improve our fighting position as time allows.

Recent improvements (last 19 months) have been:

400% improvements in mounting precision from a few thousandths to ~.001TIR repeatability.

3-5 times faster mounting speed with the rapid index taper mount socket (now 5-6 second mounting time).

Improvements to cosmetic qualities of the front cap cnc tig weld

Eco flow baffle revision dropped shooter ear noise 9DB and muzzle 1DB

Eco flow also dropped backpressure by about 65% and completely eliminated shooter face and eye interaction with gas blowback on di ar15's.

Laser welded core

View Quote
@Green0

I have a Recce 5 Mod 3. Great can. But I'm a lefty and always appreciate less back pressure. Is it possible to upgrade mine to eco flow?
Link Posted: 11/18/2021 12:01:19 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 11/20/2021 3:03:02 PM EDT
[#45]
I've been very happy with my post repair recce 5 on an 11.5". I compared it with an omega 300 on the same rifle and it felt a lot more comfortable to my ear. A lot of folks were saying it's an excellent can for SBRs and I'd agree.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 3:00:52 PM EDT
[#46]
This can be archived now.
Page / 17
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top