User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 5:45:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Thanks for the numbers. I'd be very tempted to run the Nomad with a Plan B setup from Q.
View Quote
That's what I am planning on.

Anyone know if the Plan B has any advantages over the Diversified Machine cherry bomb mount? The DM mount is way cheaper and a hair lighter.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 5:56:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 5:59:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Plan B is 1.9 oz.  5/8x24 Cherry Bomb is 1.6 oz.  
View Quote
Crazy light.

I wish DA had a way to turn my Sandman S into the Nomad.
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 1:01:48 AM EDT
[#4]
this Nomad sure sounds interesting, I was thinking a Q-Trash Panda, now this thing comes out.

My mounting systems for rifles are Key-Mo and Q.

I need a some real world sound comparisons.

I have been happy with my DA Wolf.
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 11:20:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Crazy light.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Plan B is 1.9 oz.  5/8x24 Cherry Bomb is 1.6 oz.  
Crazy light.

You realize that setup actually adds weight, right?    Our direct thread mount is only 1.4 oz.  Just throwing that out there for the weight weenies.

I really dig the cherry bomb mount.  I'm guessing I'll have one on at least one rifle.
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 11:35:50 AM EDT
[#6]
I made a graphic to help answer the length questions.   Note that adding the KeyMo only adds 1.175".  The Key-Mount system sits back over the mount more than other systems out there.    Thanks for detailing the weights, Chris.

NOMAD-30 AND SANDMAN-S LENGTHS PAST MUZZLE 3
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 12:18:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

You realize that setup actually adds weight, right?    Our direct thread mount is only 1.4 oz.  Just throwing that out there for the weight weenies.

I really dig the cherry bomb mount.  I'm guessing I'll have one on at least one rifle.
View Quote
I definitely deserve that.

I see Sandman S is listed at 17.7 obviously that includes built in Keymo mount but I'm guessing that does not include a muzzle device? Courtesy of Hansohn I see muzzle devices range from 3.6-4.3 oz which puts the Sandman package at north of 21 oz. Please correct me if wrong.

By using Q's Plan B I get the Nomad total package to be 17.5 oz. That's pretty impressive for an "unlimited, no restrictions" type of suppressor that can also take advantage of a larger OD and increased volume. I apologize for being as critical as I was out of the gate. I think I'm just a little hurt that the Nomad wasn't there for me a few years ago.
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 12:24:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I made a graphic to help answer the length questions.   Note that adding the KeyMo only adds 1.175".  The Key-Mount system sits back over the mount more than other systems out there.    Thanks for detailing the weights, Chris.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1903/44640841244_1f110d2e10_h.jpgNOMAD-30 AND SANDMAN-S LENGTHS PAST MUZZLE 3
View Quote
This is good info
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 1:41:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I definitely deserve that.

I see Sandman S is listed at 17.7 obviously that includes built in Keymo mount but I'm guessing that does not include a muzzle device? Courtesy of Hansohn I see muzzle devices range from 3.6-4.3 oz which puts the Sandman package at north of 21 oz. Please correct me if wrong.

By using Q's Plan B I get the Nomad total package to be 17.5 oz. That's pretty impressive for an "unlimited, no restrictions" type of suppressor that can also take advantage of a larger OD and increased volume. I apologize for being as critical as I was out of the gate. I think I'm just a little hurt that the Nomad wasn't there for me a few years ago.
View Quote
Wouldn't the weight with the Plan B be 16.3? 14.2-1.4+1.6+1.9= 16.3.
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 1:45:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Wouldn't the weight with the Plan B be 16.3? 14.2-1.4+1.6+1.9= 16.3.
View Quote
Good call. I forgot to pull off the DA direct thread adapter.
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 2:07:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I apologize for being as critical as I was out of the gate. I think I'm just a little hurt that the Nomad wasn't there for me a few years ago.
View Quote
Progress takes time. The people that died a a horrible death due to their teeth rotting out of their heads wish that antibiotics would have been discovered and put into pill form much sooner too. This sounds like some first world problems to me man. Haha.
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 2:22:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1903/44640841244_1f110d2e10_h.jpgNOMAD-30 AND SANDMAN-S LENGTHS PAST MUZZLE 3
View Quote
Thank you, for the nice diagram.

I would have to think that the Nomad is much quieter or better sounding than the Sandman due to the larger diameter?
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 11:31:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Thank you, for the nice diagram.

I would have to think that the Nomad is much quieter or better sounding than the Sandman due to the larger diameter?
View Quote
Yeah, volume helps, but also the baffle stack is a more efficient design.

@Outrider. Lol.  You're totally cool man.  And yep, you're right.  You get into the 20 oz. range with mounts.  It's the price you pay for a fully functional flash hider or brake--if you need that.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 8:00:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@Mageever earlier in this thread I thought you said that the Sandman S was 1-2 dB quieter than the Nomad. So are you saying that the Nomad “sounds” better (in your opinion) than the S or is it quieter? I’m not trying to not pick but you know we are all hanging on your every word here. Haha.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 8:03:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

@Mageever earlier in this thread I thought you said that the Sandman S was 1-2 dB quieter than the Nomad. So are you saying that the Nomad "sounds" better (in your opinion) than the S or is it quieter? I'm not trying to not pick but you know we are all hanging on your every word here. Haha.
View Quote
I thought he said the Nomad was a few dB quieter than the Sandman S
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 8:10:12 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I thought he said the Nomad was a few dB quieter than the Sandman S
View Quote

Yeah, so in my haste to see if I needed my 6th DA can I must have jumbled up his words. Sorry about that. Thanks for pointing this out and now that I have read what he said again I see that it is in fact quieter than the S, Trash Panda, and in theory quieter than the VOX by way of deductive reasoning (I would guess not on 300 subs with a wipe though).
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 8:17:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Yeah, so in my haste to see if I needed my 6th DA can I must have jumbled up his words. Sorry about that. Thanks for pointing this out and now that I have read what he said again I see that it is in fact quieter than the S, Trash Panda, and in theory quieter than the VOX by way of deductive reasoning (I would guess not on 300 subs with a wipe though).
View Quote
No worries!  I had to go back and check because I wasn't sure

I have a Vox in jail now, really liking the Nomad.  May have to pick one up for my next can.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 12:14:39 PM EDT
[#18]
The more I look at this can I like the way it looks at the rear where the mount is slightly smaller in diameter.  With the right barrel and rail combination tucking in most of the keymo portion and just having the fatter section sticking out front would probably look sick.

I might have to flip a coin on this one.  The Vox looks like its a good buy also and I think either can would be a good buy but its hard to decide. One of the two will be my next purchase.
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 3:17:42 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm digging the can.

Link Posted: 10/19/2018 3:36:51 PM EDT
[#20]
That MAWL tho
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 4:07:30 PM EDT
[#21]
@MaGeever, any meter numbers with the Nomad on a bolt gun in .308 or 6.5 Creedmoor?

I saw the video of you guys shooting a 300WM bolt and saying positive things. Unfortunately that video was shot with a phone with tons of wind noise in the background.

Also any idea how much longer the Ghost deal is running? On the verge of pulling the trigger on the Nomad & Ghost combo and running it with a Area 419 mount since I already have their brakes.
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 5:14:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Is the nomad compatible with Q cherry bomb brakes?
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 5:31:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Is the nomad compatible with Q cherry bomb brakes?
View Quote
The last pic posted shows it with the CB.
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 7:17:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/21/2018 1:50:26 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I saw this video. It was a baffle strike. That has nothing to do with durability.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I saw this video. It was a baffle strike. That has nothing to do with durability.
Quoted:
Link?

Quoted:
And I completely forgot about the new VOX can. Sheesh.

With both in DT or keymo configurations, the Nomad is heavier by a couple oz and longer by about half an inch than the VOX, and the vox sounds good and is significantly more durable. And it costs more than $100 less than the Nomad in DT configuration (on hansohn's site).

And Q doesn't have any barrel length restrictions either, but that doesn't mean they will survive extreme use (as seen on a recent video by kit badger).

If neither can has minimum barrel length restrictions, and the nomad is actually as durable as the Sandman line, then why would someone get a Nomad when a Sandman is lighter, shorter, cheaper and just as durable (in keymo config)? The only scenario I can think of is if someone wanted a DT Sandman S.... and didn't want to spend less on an omega or vox.

Attachment Attached File

Transcript: "Are these full auto rated? Yes they are. Can you destoy them? Yeah, if you're stupid. While I was there, someone actually sent one in which [they] put on like a seven and a half inch 7.62x39 Diablo- like 150 rounds as fast as they could dump through it and, it burned the thing out. How does that happen? Well, titanium, while the melting point is 3000 F and you can run these things full auto, if it's sustained,titanium starts to lose strength around 8 or 900 degrees, so if you have a super heavy load of rounds going through one of these, you're going to melt it."

Sig also discontinued their SRD556TI-QD because they were having to warranty too many of the "no barrel restriction" titanium cans. It's just physics. Titanium is lightweight and strong, but not as ideal for high-heat, sustained fire use as suppressors made from other materials. I really don't think that's controversial to say.

Anyway, my point initially was that not publishing or enforcing minimum barrel restrictions is typically a marketing decision, not an engineering one.

"Full auto rated" is also subjective, as a few bursts of FA is going to be a lot different than consistent, sustained fire. Every can will eventually fail if pushed too far... the idea with these marketing terms is that the point of failure is far enough that most typical users in typical settings won't reach them, and will therefore not often require warranty service or experience catastrophic failure. I mean, how many transferable M249s are there out there? lol.
Link Posted: 10/21/2018 8:33:31 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okCO-laSrCQ

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/435611/can_JPG-711990.JPG

Transcript: "Are these full auto rated? Yes they are. Can you destoy them? Yeah, if you're stupid. While I was there, someone actually sent one in which [they] put on like a seven and a half inch 7.62x39 Diablo- like 150 rounds as fast as they could dump through it and, it burned the thing out. How does that happen? Well, titanium, while the melting point is 3000 F and you can run these things full auto, if it's sustained,titanium starts to lose strength around 8 or 900 degrees, so if you have a super heavy load of rounds going through one of these, you're going to melt it."

Sig also discontinued their SRD556TI-QD because they were having to warranty too many of the "no barrel restriction" titanium cans. It's just physics. Titanium is lightweight and strong, but not as ideal for high-heat, sustained fire use as suppressors made from other materials. I really don't think that's controversial to say.

Anyway, my point initially was that not publishing or enforcing minimum barrel restrictions is typically a marketing decision, not an engineering one.

"Full auto rated" is also subjective, as a few bursts of FA is going to be a lot different than consistent, sustained fire. Every can will eventually fail if pushed too far... the idea with these marketing terms is that the point of failure is far enough that most typical users in typical settings won't reach them, and will therefore not often require warranty service or experience catastrophic failure. I mean, how many transferable M249s are there out there? lol.
View Quote
Gary MFin Hughes said it best "full-auto rated just means they will repair it when it breaks"
Link Posted: 10/21/2018 11:20:33 AM EDT
[#27]
With the DT mount, can you torque down if you only planned on using it on one rifle so you wouldn't have to worry about checking it periodically?
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 6:47:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
With the DT mount, can you torque down if you only planned on using it on one rifle so you wouldn't have to worry about checking it periodically?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Yep.  There's a hex head on the back of the mount so you can torque it down.  We also have hook spanner wrench slots on the adapter AND the can.  Looks like the Q Cherry Bomb has added those also now that they're shipping.  If you already have their muzzle device, then the Cherry Bomb is a great way to go for you.

Quoted:
@MaGeever, any meter numbers with the Nomad on a bolt gun in .308 or 6.5 Creedmoor?

I saw the video of you guys shooting a 300WM bolt and saying positive things. Unfortunately that video was shot with a phone with tons of wind noise in the background.

Also any idea how much longer the Ghost deal is running? On the verge of pulling the trigger on the Nomad & Ghost combo and running it with a Area 419 mount since I already have their brakes.
Over multiple test sessions, we had averages ranging from 135.7 to 137.1 dB.  For reference, the Omega tested at 137.9.  Since Silencerco usually states that the Omega hits the low 130's, I figure that should make those numbers more relative and give you a frame of reference.  We're always cautious about just putting numbers out, because it depends so much on test method (Silencerco uses their own), test equipment, ammo, gun, etc.  The dB chasers out there often need a number to hang their hat on, but there's so much more to it after that.

Todd Magee
Dead Air Engineering
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 7:22:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Thanks, Mageever.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 12:46:07 AM EDT
[#30]
Thanks for the response Todd, glad to see all the positive reaction to your latest design.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 10:02:52 PM EDT
[#31]
@mageever

Thanks for being so responsive. I know you've been getting hammered with questions and after reading I don't recall seeing anything mentioned about the YHM QD option. Being that I already have some of these mounts, how much length/weight would that configuration add to the Nomad? I thinks its awesome that this can is able to accept different mounts. Well thought out indeed!
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 9:23:11 AM EDT
[#32]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7y9_Grh1H2Y&t=314s
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 10:26:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7y9_Grh1H2Y&t=314s
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 1:45:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Great, so it's either this, a Rugged Micro30 or an EA Vox for my first suppressor.  Gonna be running it on everything from 10.5" 5.56s to 16" 308 carbines.  Looking to buy once, cry once (for now).
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 2:41:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Great, so it's either this, a Rugged Micro30 or an EA Vox for my first suppressor.  Gonna be running it on everything from 10.5" 5.56s to 16" 308 carbines.  Looking to buy once, cry once (for now).
View Quote
Micro 30 would be my pick. But i'm into short cans for someone reason now

Don't think you can go wrong with either of those 3 though.

I guess after owning quite a few rifle cans I've found I like something short enough to take the bite off and still provide good signature reduction, pretty soon I might as well just rock all FH's again

Only exception for me is .22 , 300 blk, 9mm PCC... anything Subsonic, than having a longer/heavier can is OK if it's means reduced DB's.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 11:31:32 PM EDT
[#36]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYR5Tgb-73E

Video of a guy running it on a 6.5 Creedmoor bolt gun.

Also.....

@Mageever or if anyone knows.  The E brake is compatible with the Sandman series even though its slightly larger.  I suppose if it knocks down the Nomad a few decibels it would do the same for the Sandman cans?  I saw somewhere it was suggested that the larger diameter was a good thing if your running a suppressor wrap, gives it something to  stop against from slipping forward.  Even if you didn't pick up the Nomad the E Brake is still a useful upgrade for a Sandman?  Might have to get one when they are available for my Sandman K but hoping I'll eventually be able to swing a Nomad for one also.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 9:57:41 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYR5Tgb-73E

Video of a guy running it on a 6.5 Creedmoor bolt gun.

Also.....

@Mageever or if anyone knows.  The E brake is compatible with the Sandman series even though its slightly larger.  I suppose if it knocks down the Nomad a few decibels it would do the same for the Sandman cans?  I saw somewhere it was suggested that the larger diameter was a good thing if your running a suppressor wrap, gives it something to  stop against from slipping forward.  Even if you didn't pick up the Nomad the E Brake is still a useful upgrade for a Sandman?  Might have to get one when they are available for my Sandman K but hoping I'll eventually be able to swing a Nomad for one also.
View Quote
Thanks for posting up the video on a 6.5 bolt, been wanting to listen to that combo.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bo7ZqgRH4-8/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1p7st8toj99cp

There is a post from Todd showing the EBrake on a sandman with and without cover.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 11:42:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Thanks for the link to the instagram page.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 3:48:11 AM EDT
[#39]
Would a Nomad be okay for 5.56 SBR use since it is titanium? Not full auto but plenty of rounds in quick succession or constant shooting.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 7:39:21 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Would a Nomad be okay for 5.56 SBR use since it is titanium? Not full auto but plenty of rounds in quick succession or constant shooting.
View Quote
Only the DT mount and end cap are Ti. The main body and baffles of the can are 17-4 stainless. The Nomad has no barrel length restrictions and is full auto rated. However, the stelite core of the Sandman series would hold up better to abuse.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 12:05:29 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Only the DT mount and end cap are Ti. The main body and baffles of the can are 17-4 stainless. The Nomad has no barrel length restrictions and is full auto rated. However, the stelite core of the Sandman series would hold up better to abuse.
View Quote
Perfect, thanks
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top