Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 7:09:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do not hit us with all the details at once!  Carbon fiber sleeved 300 black barrel" w/ adj. gas block?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Do not hit us with all the details at once!  Carbon fiber sleeved 300 black barrel" w/ adj. gas block?
8" 300 BLK BSF barrel with an SLR titanium adjustable gas block. BSF takes a match grade barrel, turns it down to reduce weight and then uses a carbon fiber sleeve and nut to tension the section that has been turned down to add rigidity and allow for better cooling.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 8:58:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
8" 300 BLK BSF barrel with an SLR titanium adjustable gas block. BSF takes a match grade barrel, turns it down to reduce weight and then uses a carbon fiber sleeve and nut to tension the section that has been turned down to add rigidity and allow for better cooling.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nice, I like it
Link Posted: 7/22/2018 1:16:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

There are about 10,000 taper mount cans in end user hands.  I personally do the warranty work on stuck muzzle devices, because there are so few it doesn't warrant training anyone here to do it.  I've removed about 7 of them over the years.  Most of the time, these involve mounts that weren't properly installed.  Most of the stuck muzzle device stuff you hear is created by people who don't have the cans.  We did answer that with a slot we mill in the back of all the muzzle devices now.  There is a Recce Armorer's tool kit that consists of a piece of hardened steel you put in a vise, and a tool that interfaces the rear geometry on the can and accepts a 1/2" drive wrench and it removes the need for us to service the stuck mount.

Catalog page discussing taper mounts
View Quote
I've never had any trouble with your taper mounts, but my early Ti minimalist brake lacks the improved features. I understood it's characteristics and work accordingly.  Until Q makes a FH I more than likely won't be using their taper mounts.  But I do like the concept of the tapered barrel Sig and Q use.

This thread did  get me thinking about loading up some blanks to launch inert, dummy rifle grenades.
Link Posted: 7/22/2018 8:48:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I've never had any trouble with your taper mounts, but my early Ti minimalist brake lacks the improved features. I understood it's characteristics and work accordingly.  Until Q makes a FH I more than likely won't be using their taper mounts.  But I do like the concept of the tapered barrel Sig and Q use.

This thread did  get me thinking about loading up some blanks to launch inert, dummy rifle grenades.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are about 10,000 taper mount cans in end user hands.  I personally do the warranty work on stuck muzzle devices, because there are so few it doesn't warrant training anyone here to do it.  I've removed about 7 of them over the years.  Most of the time, these involve mounts that weren't properly installed.  Most of the stuck muzzle device stuff you hear is created by people who don't have the cans.  We did answer that with a slot we mill in the back of all the muzzle devices now.  There is a Recce Armorer's tool kit that consists of a piece of hardened steel you put in a vise, and a tool that interfaces the rear geometry on the can and accepts a 1/2" drive wrench and it removes the need for us to service the stuck mount.

Catalog page discussing taper mounts

I wonder how a FH would work since the muzzle brake in Q suppressors acts as the blast baffle.
Link Posted: 7/22/2018 9:10:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Q has suppressors that direct thread to their tapered barrel on the Fix without a Cheery Bomb brake.  And the Cherry Bomb is made for suppressors whose blast baffles aren't titanium.
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 12:30:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 3:25:34 PM EDT
[#7]
They're gone now.
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 4:29:15 PM EDT
[#8]
I saw that Area 419 is calling out Q on Facebook for copying their design.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 4:48:54 PM EDT
[#9]
I guess I should’ve read page 2
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 5:25:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/341181/9ADEFD55-5722-4C62-8E50-99DEF936007E-618111.JPG
View Quote
I interacted with them and others in the comments on IG. Their stuff is definitely nice, but theres no way I want to run their universal adapter and a hellfire on a 12" lightweight SBR. It's double the length, and three times the weight.

The cherry bomb is very short and very light, it seems like a great muzzle device and a solid mount. I'll find out next week when my Plan B shows up.
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 6:25:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I interacted with them and others in the comments on IG. Their stuff is definitely nice, but theres no way I want to run their universal adapter and a hellfire on a 12" lightweight SBR. It's double the length, and three times the weight.

The cherry bomb is very short and very light, it seems like a great muzzle device and a solid mount. I'll find out next week when my Plan B shows up.
View Quote
I agree. The Hellfire looks awesome for a bolt gun or AR10.
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 6:37:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup, I told them the same thing. If I had a magnum precision rifle, I'm sure I'd get a Hellfire. But it and the cherry bomb are two totally different tools that happen to have similar features.
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 6:55:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/341181/9ADEFD55-5722-4C62-8E50-99DEF936007E-618111.JPG
View Quote
I guess I have been living under a rock.  Until I saw this post I had never heard of 419.

Then again I don’t have an Omega that needs fixing.  
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 7:14:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Gotta love Q's sassy 'tude.  This could have all been avoided if Silencerco had Q's to-the-point tech writers for their ads and manuals:

" Consult a qualified gunsmith if you don't know what the fuck you are doing."

That's the Midas touch right there. These things are hotter than a Chinese laptop battery.  They're never in stock when I look.

It occurred to me that if Q could get Faxon or BA to sell AR barrels with their taper and taper to shoulder adapter they'd probably sell well.
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 8:01:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Gotta love Q's sassy 'tude.  This could have all been avoided if Silencerco had Q's to-the-point tech writers for their ads and manuals:

That's the Midas touch right there. These things are hotter than a Chinese laptop battery.  They're never in stock when I look.

It occurred to me that if Q could get Faxon or BA to sell AR barrels with their taper and taper to shoulder adapter they'd probably sell well.
View Quote
The Cherry Bomb doesn't have to have a taper mount to be mounted, a 90* shoulder is fine with Rocksett and when torqued properly. Look at my post towards the bottom of the previous page.
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 8:37:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The Cherry Bomb doesn't have to have a taper mount to be mounted, a 90* shoulder is fine with Rocksett and when torqued properly. Look at my post towards the bottom of the previous page.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup. I mounted a Cherry Bomb on my CF Grendel barrel, I'd have to measure, but there's about half an inch of thread engagement.
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 8:39:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yeah, I get that.  But if you were selling barrels with a taper and someone wanted to use a square shouldered direct thread mount for some other can the taper shim adapter accounts for that and it's only a $10 item. Selling barrels with tapers creates a market for Q cans for people like me who use brakes very sparingly.  I get that their DT cans can mate to a square shoulder but the taper has some advantages.

Once you put a Plan B on a ASR back-end tube I assumed it can mount directly to a tapered barrel.  Can anyone comment on whether the taper on Q's barrels is the same diameter range as the Cherry Bomb?
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 8:50:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Yeah, I get that.  But if you were selling barrels with a taper and someone wanted to use a square shouldered direct thread mount for some other can the taper shim adapter accounts for that and it's only a $10 item. Selling barrels with tapers creates a market for Q cans for people like me who use brakes very sparingly.  I get that their DT cans can mate to a square shoulder but the taper has some advantages.

Once you put a Plan B on a ASR back-end tube I assumed it can mount directly to a tapered barrel.  Can anyone comment on whether the taper on Q's barrels is the same diameter range as the Cherry Bomb?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Plan B is made to mount on the Cherry Bomb, not a tapered barrel.
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 9:04:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
Well, then that could be another product opportunity for Q or Howard or DM: a Q-taper-compatible direct thread mount for 1.375-24 threaded tubes.  Make it out of Gr5 Ti and it would be lighter than the Plan B.

Does anyone know if the external taper on the Cherry Bomb is the 25 degree included angle that Sig and I presume Q uses on their barrels?
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 9:13:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Well, then that could be another product opportunity for Q or Howard or DM: a Q-taper-compatible direct thread mount for 1.375-24 threaded tubes.  Make it out of Gr5 Ti and it would be lighter than the Plan B.

Does anyone know if the external taper on the Cherry Bomb is the 25 degree included angle that Sig and I presume Q uses on their barrels?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Q makes cans that are direct thread for their taper barrels. Half Nelson and Full Nelson.

The CB has the taper ahead of the threads at a much shallower angle than their barrel taper, which is behind the muzzle threads.
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 9:39:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Choices are good.

DM's Ti Tapermount for ASR threaded tubes paired with Griffins minimalist Ti brake is only 2.3 oz compared to KB's bloated 3.5oz setup ...
View Quote
I dont have any luck corresponding w DM, but it does look like he has taper mount blast shields that can be used w tubes to make LW F1 cans.  Was wanting to do one w Ti tube and baffles for hunting.  You are suggesting getting the “non DM” thread pitch Ti blast shield and getting a tube from this ASR?  You have a link for ASR?
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 10:12:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I dont have any luck corresponding w DM, but it does look like he has taper mount blast shields that can be used w tubes to make LW F1 cans.  Was wanting to do one w Ti tube and baffles for hunting.  You are suggesting getting the “non DM” thread pitch Ti blast shield and getting a tube from this ASR?  You have a link for ASR?  
View Quote
Well, I don't want this to become a Form 1 thread hijack, so in the context of my original post, DM can make and sometimes has in stock on his website a Griffin Tapermount adapter that fits his ASR threaded tube and SiCo ASR mount suppressors.  Just like the Plan B.   He also makes Griffin Tapermounts for his non-ASR tubes.  The blast shields are an elongated version of these mounts and don't fit ASR tubes.

If you use DM's 7.8" X 1.5" ASR tube it can take any mount a SiCo ASR suppressor will take. If you buy a DM tube that has an ASR adapter available it can then take any mount a SiCo ASR can.  The 1.625" and 1.75" tubes are typically the application.

I can't suggest a tube since I don't know caliber.  You should post in the Silencers Build It Yourself Forum and we can try to get you a path forward.
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 10:13:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Duplicate deleted
Link Posted: 7/25/2018 1:34:15 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Well, I don't want this to become a Form 1 thread hijack, so in the context of my original post, DM can make and sometimes has in stock on his website a Griffin Tapermount adapter that fits his ASR threaded tube and SiCo ASR mount suppressors.  Just like the Plan B.   He also makes Griffin Tapermounts for his non-ASR tubes.  The blast shields are an elongated version of these mounts and don't fit ASR tubes.

If you use DM's 7.8" X 1.5" ASR tube it can take any mount a SiCo ASR suppressor will take. If you buy a DM tube that has an ASR adapter available it can then take any mount a SiCo ASR can.  The 1.625" and 1.75" tubes are typically the application.

I can't suggest a tube since I don't know caliber.  You should post in the Silencers Build It Yourself Forum and we can try to get you a path forward.
View Quote
I see, ASR is a type of siCo can, not a F1 parts supplier.

I have griffin tapermount cans and mounts, i do see that DM has taper mount blast shields as an instock item and I hear if you order that stuff it ships right away.  Ill post up in the F1 forum for more help.  Thx
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 1:30:22 AM EDT
[#25]
For those worried about the taper on the CB.

Got 6 3/4 rotations on the CF barrel and 7 1/4 rotations in the other barrel.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 6:54:57 AM EDT
[#26]
At this point with my Saker frustration, I'm interested in the cheapest of the Saker solutions from Area 419, Q, or Dead Air.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 7:13:16 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
At this point with my Saker frustration, I'm interested in the cheapest of the Saker solutions from Area 419, Q, or Dead Air.
View Quote
With a .mil discount from DSG the Dead Air Key-Mo "S" Mount for the Saker is $170.

Link
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 9:31:06 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Unless you have a mission critical application, per your original thread, I would take SilencerCo up on a free swap to ASR and see if that works for you. It's the lowest cost solution and if that fails to meet your needs, then sell off the mounts and go for one of the 3rd party solutions.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 11:45:38 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 1:03:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Any solid lead on time frame for the Saker mounts?
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 4:05:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote
SWFA has the Dead Air KeyMo for Saker for $99.95. I think there's a 10% off deal running right now too.

https://swfa.com/dead-air-armament-key-mo-1.html
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 6:55:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

SWFA has the Dead Air KeyMo for Saker for $99.95. I think there's a 10% off deal running right now too.

View Quote
You were right and I fo’ed on two.  Mucho thanks, man
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 7:48:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
They sold out of omega adapters during their 4th of July sale. I was going to grab one but missed out.

I wish I could shoot a Dead Air brake back-to-back with a Cherry Bomb, unsuppressed, to feel how they handle. I currently use VG6 brakes and would like a suppressor brake with similar performance.
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 8:49:22 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

They sold out of omega adapters during their 4th of July sale. I was going to grab one but missed out.

I wish I could shoot a Dead Air brake back-to-back with a Cherry Bomb, unsuppressed, to feel how they handle. I currently use VG6 brakes and would like a suppressor brake with similar performance.
View Quote
I've shot them both, the Dead Air is a noticeably more effective brake and the bottom is closed off so debris kick up isn't as bad.
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 9:31:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
I don’t shoot unsupressed if I can help it, the brake is just a sacrificial blast baffle for me.
Link Posted: 8/3/2018 7:25:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 8/3/2018 7:41:27 PM EDT
[#37]
I remember not that long ago KB making wobbly mounts. After adding extra springs, levers/ratchets, and multiple versions with different amounts of teeth all that those mounts were/are still garbage. Along came SiCo and offered an adaptor for the Saker to any of KB's customer's who were tire of their floppy mounts. I guess what's old is new and a Magnaport brake with a taper is KB's hotsauce.
Link Posted: 8/3/2018 7:48:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I remember not that long ago KB making wobbly mounts. After adding extra springs, levers/ratchets, and multiple versions with different amounts of teeth all that those mounts were/are still garbage. Along came SiCo and offered an adaptor for the Saker to any of KB's customer's who were tire of their floppy mounts. I guess what's old is new and a Magnaport brake with a taper is KB's hotsauce.
View Quote
I remember lots of things passed off as truths that were later said to be untrue.  You seem to have an unhealthy obsession with KB.
Link Posted: 8/3/2018 7:53:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
I won’t speak for someone else, but history shows that KB always preferred direct thread over QD. With the taper, the Cherry Bomb is more direct thread than it is QD.

I say this as a true silencer whore, who owns Sico, Dead Air and now Q mounts/silencers.
Link Posted: 8/3/2018 11:14:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
Who the hell is Area 419? Either way, their muzzle device looks like a funnel with threads. No dog in the fight, but if I had to choose between A419’s muzzle device and Q’s, I’d choose Q because it is at least a muzzle break.
Link Posted: 8/4/2018 12:16:39 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Who the hell is Area 419? Either way, their muzzle device looks like a funnel with threads. No dog in the fight, but if I had to choose between A419’s muzzle device and Q’s, I’d choose Q because it is at least a muzzle break.
View Quote
Area 419 brake is in two pieces allowing for indexing adjustment of the brake ports independent of the taper mount.  Sig does something similar.  Unlike the Cherry Bomb, Area 419 doesn't have under ports to kick up dust when shooting prone.  The advantage of the Cherry Bomb is you don't have to index it.   Go to Area 419 webpage and you'll see the brake half as well as the mount. Another 419 advantage is you have the option to remove the weight of the brake when running a can.  Not a problem if your blast baffle isn't titanium.

Lots of ways to make a functional mount depending on user sentiment and preference. I'd be happy with either one if I was looking for brake mount.
Link Posted: 8/4/2018 12:34:52 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

The Griffin mount on the Recce and Paladin series is machined into the tube.    Welds can be strong but they can only be as strong as the base metal at best and engineering practices would say they can't be as strong as the base metal unless the base metal is thicker where the weld is happening.  That's not a statement of weld paranoia, but there won't be a customer talking about their Recce can having a weld separation from the mount because there is no weld to fail.  I've seen a thread where a YHM owner experienced his third mount separation failure.  Granted there are manufacturers capable of welding cans in ways that allow them to stay together.   We had welded tubeless cans in 2011, and when you develop a welding process you can keep the can together and we were able to do that.   At that time we felt the industry didn't want to look at 10 welds in a can, and we finish machined the cans for cosmetic reasons like Ase Utra in Europe. We went to the one piece bodies as a perceived improvement over weld and cosmetic machine bodies, but their are obvious performance advantages of welding without layering, just as their are obvious advantages of unibody construction.

I prefer not to thread mounts to tubes if the scope of the design doesn't require it.  Our direct thread models have threads that are machined into the unibody tube, and that's ideal- that way it's not a double thread mount.  Less stacking, one less interface to loosen, way more confidence for the end user.   I have NOT heard of a lot of problems with the Silencer Co mounts staying on the tubes, but I would personally not want to buy a welded can that has a removable mount.  That's like buying a take apart can you can't clean.  Sort of like a welded pistol can.  It's half neat, and half stupid.
View Quote
That's a good summary of the trades, strengths and weaknesses, and aesthetics involved with mount interfaces.  This is a lot more educational than conflating two generations of a competitor's designs over a handful of launched cans.  Mount modularity does demand the user torque the mount well into the tube threads. I'll disagree with you on the welded pistol can though.  The Omega 9k/45k suppress well for their weight and size and the mounts are no more trouble than an Octane or a Revolution. You can clean all stainless welded cans by plugging the front aperture and filling with SeaFoam or CLR or the Dip.  Plus designs like the Wolf and Omega K can handle supersonic 300BO.
Link Posted: 8/4/2018 8:17:56 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Who the hell is Area 419? Either way, their muzzle device looks like a funnel with threads. No dog in the fight, but if I had to choose between A419's muzzle device and Q's, I'd choose Q because it is at least a muzzle break.
View Quote
They are pretty big name in the precision rifle world.  They have a brake that toolessly installs to the muzzle adapter.  The "funnel" is a taper and serves a purpose.
Link Posted: 8/4/2018 12:44:41 PM EDT
[#44]
@boxofrox how are you liking the mount interface?
Link Posted: 8/4/2018 1:31:34 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
@boxofrox how are you liking the mount interface?
View Quote
It's legitimately one of my favorite items I have. I have 4 Cherry Bombs with another on the way, and I'll be ordering 2 Saker modules and 2 more Cherry Bombs with those. Plus I'm waiting on a Trash Panda. So all 4 of my rifle cans will be able to mount to the CB.

It's very simple, light, repeatable, and locks up solid every time. I've been swapping my Omega between a 12" lightweight AR, my Fix rifle, and now my new Fieldcraft. I couldn't be more pleased with it, I'm looking forward to getting rid of my SiCo mounts.
Link Posted: 8/4/2018 2:27:32 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote
Lol - It was wise of sico to stop naming their cans after birds
Link Posted: 8/4/2018 3:50:45 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 8/4/2018 4:24:53 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Silencer co says "*We do not recommend shooting lead projectiles out of any of our sealed suppressors."  Right on the Octane product page.  The 9mm jacketed ammo commonly has an exposed lead base and leads at about 3 times the speed of a 5.56mm can for example.  Granted acid dips may effectively answer that.  
View Quote
For reference, the disclaimer on lead projectiles is on every page for anything Silencerco makes. The Octane isn't a sealed suppressor.

But yeah, the dip and other options exist for removing lead fouling from sealed cans. Manufacturers just don't tend to suggest using highly toxic substances to their customers, because customers are by and large completely stupid.
Link Posted: 8/4/2018 4:53:25 PM EDT
[#49]
I tend to run plated encapsulated  pistol bullets so lead vapor is only an issue if the gilding is so thin the bullet sheds jacket and peppers the baffles with metallic crap anyway.

ETA:  As to customer's doing stupid things that's a risk with any mass marketed product. The Bell Curve has two ends, and noisy failure swamps quiet success in the long run.
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 6:32:54 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
They are pretty big name in the precision rifle world.  They have a brake that toolessly installs to the muzzle adapter.  The "funnel" is a taper and serves a purpose.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who the hell is Area 419? Either way, their muzzle device looks like a funnel with threads. No dog in the fight, but if I had to choose between A419's muzzle device and Q's, I'd choose Q because it is at least a muzzle break.
It'd be neat if they made some manner of flash hider, though, in addition to their 2 and 3 port brakes.

As it is, I'm likely to pick up a bunch of the Cherry Bombs and and call it good.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top