BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 8
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 11:54:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

That can't happen unless SS is sending them somewhere other than the address on the form. Because that address isn't the ATF. The payments are processed before the forms are forwarded on to the ATF, so the ATF doesn't even know SS has submitted a form until after the payment is handled.
View Quote
Good to know. Thanks!

I'm still curious if there's anything definitive showing that SilencerShop's precedure adds to the overall time involved in the process. So far we only have anecdotal evidence supporting both sides of the claim.
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 12:14:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Obviously YMMV, but here is the SS service benefit to somone in my situation: I live more than 30 miles one way (so 60+ miles round trip) from anyone who can roll my prints and take photos for a submission. I used the SS kiosk for one submission then my subsequent four or five I’ve done in the last year didn’t require me to do anything other than place the order online and electronically sign the form within a day or two. I realize I might have lost a few weeks receiving my cans but the convenience was worth it to me.
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 1:02:58 AM EDT
[#3]
My experience with SS and the form 1 process.

I been dealing with the Silencer Shop from way back when they operated out of their garage, up to today.

Their form4 service is not the fastest way to submit forms. But the 2 SOT's I use are both powered by with a kiosk.
So it's the only way they do things these days. The old way with me mailing in my own papers, prints, pictures, check has always been faster then SS.
But SS does make it easy, and that's why the SOT's both use the service.

So, fast forward to my first Form1 I just completed through SS. It was a hassle from the start.
All my mail goes to my PO box. SS has both address in their system from our prior business transactions.

Box 3b on the form1 is where your address goes. The instruction clearly state right on the form1 if the above is a PO box, street address must be given in box 3c

First form to docusign has street address in box 3b. Called and explained that is not correct. Person I talked to said it would be corrected.
Next 2 forms to sign, same problem. Called back each time. The last time the girl answering my call said she didn't know what their problem in back was, as both of my address are in the system.
She corrected the form while I was talking to her, and assured me the next docusign would be correct. Finally on the 4th try they got it right.

I'll go back to the old way if I ever do another form1.

The SS form1 has not been mailed as of today.
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 3:31:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
SS Kiosk is for novices and convenience, it's not set up to streamline anything or make it faster. Let me break it down for you:

If you're a newbie, lazy, or retarded: use SS Kiosk at the expense of speed (+3-5 weeks).

If you know what you're doing (ie: can read/write, mush your fingerprint onto a card and then print out a selfie): just do it yourself and get your forms back 3-5 weeks earlier.
View Quote
haven't used it, but sounds fair for saving 3-5 hours of bullshit doing it all yourself...  if I time it right in Phoenix, those 3-5 weeks are during the summer so who cares.
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 6:19:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

haven't used it, but sounds fair for saving 3-5 hours of bullshit doing it all yourself...  if I time it right in Phoenix, those 3-5 weeks are during the summer so who cares.
View Quote
SilenserShop has definitely made the process as simple as can be. Once you're in their system, just buy the stamp online, DocuSign, and you're done!

So far it has been well documented that the checks sent by SilencerShop can take anywhere from 1 to 5 weeks to be cashed. What remains to be seen is whether that really affects the overall approval time or not.

Based on a quick review of the Post-41F GROUP THERAPY (time pending) thread, I couldn't see any real difference in the approval times. Form 4s all seem to be in the 6-7 month range, and Form 1s seem to be around 4 months!

Would anybody be willing to parse through the data submitted in that thread, and see if there is any correlation between "check cashed" date and "approved" date?

Based on what BigWaylon said regarding the ATF not getting the paperwork until the check has been cashed, it would make sense that all SilencerShop submittals would add 1+ month to the approval date, but I'm just not seeing it yet.

Perhaps an easier question would be whether anyone sending in their own check has had a Form 4 approval time of less than 6 months. Who holds the record for fastest approval time?

*Edit*

I took the time to look over the last few pages of the "Time Pending" thread, and the lead time seems pretty consistent at around 6 months from the date the check was cashed. It definitely looks like the delay in cashing the checks could be affecting the approval time, but not everyone included the same information in their posts, so it's hard to say for sure.
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 10:40:51 AM EDT
[#6]
In my experience (~12  Form 1 & Form 4s over the past year) the ATF is extremely reliable in cashing the check.

All of my applications I have sent in the check has been cashed between 5 and 10 days from the day I drop the application packet in the mail.

The NFA branch then doesn't have any visibility to the application for between 30 and 60 days.  So if you call them after the check is cashed but prior to 60 days after check cashing, the application may not be in the system yet.  The longer you wait to call the greater the odds the application is in the system.

Once the application hits the system the pending date then seem to "back date" to within a couple days of check cashing.    So you could see the check cash on February 1st, call them on March 15th and the application still won't be in the system.   Call them back on April 15th and the application will then be in the system but the pending date will back-date to between January 28th and February 3rd.

My approval experience and all of my conversations with the NFA branch indicate that timeline is all driven off of pending date.   "Pending Date" is highly correlated to check cashing date, so the longer any dealer sits on paperwork before sending it the longer your wait will be.

I am local to Silencershop and have only bought one can from them post 41F.   I purposely had them print out the paper Form 4 in the store and I signed it and took it with me, I drove it to the transferring powered-by dealer 5 miles up the road, had them sign it, and then mailed it all myself with my own personal check, fingerprint cards, and pics.

Why did I go to this trouble?  Because I had heard about application processing delays at SS on submitting their paperwork and another local dealer here in town I bought a can also appeared to have sat on paperwork for a couple weeks after I paid for the can and I let them handle the application submittal.

On the SS F4 can, I mailed it on 3/28, check cashed on 4/4, and the pending date was 4/3, so "mailing to pending" in 6 days.

Ultimately, if you want the fastest timeline than control your own paperwork and send it in yourself.   If you want ultimately convenience and a couple days to a couple extra weeks of wait in additional to their paperwork filing charge  is worth it to you...than do the whole process through SS.  

There is no right or wrong answer.
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 1:20:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 5:05:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'm going to say that's not the truth.

At the absolute minimum, there's one person closer than that.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I live more than 30 miles one way (so 60+ miles round trip) from anyone who can roll my prints and take photos for a submission.

Come on now Waylon, some of us live in or near very small communities in very rural areas. I'd have to drive 30 miles to get a lot of things done in person
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 5:12:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Come on now Waylon, some of us live in or near very small communities in very rural areas. I'd have to drive 30 miles to get a lot of things done in person
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I live more than 30 miles one way (so 60+ miles round trip) from anyone who can roll my prints and take photos for a submission.

I think they're saying YOU  can do the pictures and YOU can do the prints.
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 5:17:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I think they're saying YOU  can do the pictures and YOU can do the prints.
View Quote
I doubt I have the stuff I need on hand at my house to do that.
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 6:10:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I doubt I have the stuff I need on hand at my house to do that.
View Quote

For roughly the cost of one F1 service through SS shop you can do  virtually an unlimited number print cards in your home.

http://www.sirchie.com/porelon-reg-fingerprint-pad.html#.W05nBtJKg-U

http://www.sirchie.com/multi-mount-injection-molded-cardholder.html#.W05nTtJKg-U

Blank Print Cards are free from the ATF.

https://www.atf.gov/distribution-center-order-form

The ink pad and holder pay for themselves the first use and its all gravy after that.    Personally I roll mine "in bulk" and do a dozen cards or so at a time and use them over the next 3 to 6 months or so as they are good for a minimum of a year.
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 6:35:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 10:26:59 PM EDT
[#13]
I used the SS Kiosk, bought my first can mid-March and the check was cashed 4-1.  It was convenient, easy and the LGS guy helped me breeze right through it.  Do I understand correctly that I never have to go to a kiosk again and can just order cans, pay stamp & docu-sign?    
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 10:28:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Yep...as mentioned above, you're that one person minimum. That's all I was saying...other than every single person you drive past is also allowed to do them.

The only requirement is that they're "properly equipped". Which really means they have blank cards and an ink pad. The card holder is nice, but optional.

If you, or anybody you know, has a smartphone or tablet, you can use a free app to do your prints. Six pics fit on a single 4x6 print. So, <$.50 at any store that prints pics. Or print them on plain paper at home. Or print them directly onto the form.

I'm not saying SS isn't convenient. I'm just saying a lot of people think you have to go somewhere to get printed, and then get "official" passport photos from somewhere else. When the reality is you can do it all at home by yourself. People have been doing that for years and years.
View Quote
Thanks Gents, maybe I’ll give it a go myself next time, would be good to know how.
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 10:29:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I used the SS Kiosk, bought my first can mid-March and the check was cashed 4-1.  It was convenient, easy and the LGS guy helped me breeze right through it.  Do I understand correctly that I never have to go to a kiosk again and can just order cans, pay stamp & docu-sign?    
View Quote
Yes
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 10:40:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Yes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes
Damn, thanks, OP, I DID learn something in this thread!  
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 11:12:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 1:08:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Yes
View Quote
Quoted:

Me too.

I was under the impression all these years the prints were only accepted if done by a qualifying agency and only good for a year. I always ordered the cards from the atf but had to pay random agencies 20-30 bucks to be printed. I have not purchased anything since 41f because of the inconvenience associated with multiple trust members. This kinda changes things for me.
View Quote
I am almost positive that you have to update your prints/photos once a year...or at least the photos
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 7:59:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 8:32:52 AM EDT
[#20]
I used their form 1 (individual) service for an SBR project.
My part was completed on April 23
They said the check cashed May 15
I'm not sure if that is slow since 2015 was the last time I filed for a stamp.
Doesn't really matter much in this case as it is just a range toy.
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 9:58:40 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Yep...as mentioned above, you're that one person minimum. That's all I was saying...other than every single person you drive past is also allowed to do them.

The only requirement is that they're "properly equipped". Which really means they have blank cards and an ink pad. The card holder is nice, but optional.

If you, or anybody you know, has a smartphone or tablet, you can use a free app to do your prints. Six pics fit on a single 4x6 print. So, <$.50 at any store that prints pics. Or print them on plain paper at home. Or print them directly onto the form.

I'm not saying SS isn't convenient. I'm just saying a lot of people think you have to go somewhere to get printed, and then get "official" passport photos from somewhere else. When the reality is you can do it all at home by yourself. People have been doing that for years and years.
View Quote
On my last three stamps, I took a selfie and sized them, then printed them on regular paper (in color).  I slapped a piece of clear packing tape over it and stuck it on the Form 4s.  No issues, all approved first time go.
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 1:20:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

In the case of the check you sent yourself, was the Form 4 approved 5 weeks earlier than the ones handled by SilencerShop? For instance, was it approved in 5 months, vs 6 months for SilencerShop?

I'd like to see some definitive data showing a direct correlation between the date the check was cashed and the date the application was approved.

There has been at least one report in this thread that SilencerShop applications come back approved in the same time frame or sooner, despite the fact that the check is cashed at a later date.

Perhaps the ATF knows that SilencerShop's account is good for payment, so they begin the paperwork process immediately but wait to deposit the checks when convenient. Contrast that with a personal check from an individual, and it's in the ATF's best interest to confirm that funds are available before beginning any paperwork.

Does anyone have any concrete data that the date the check was cashed affects the overall time for approval?
View Quote
Based on Silencershop's own statements to me, if it takes 5 weeks longer to have the "check cashed", it will take 5 weeks longer to be approved.  When Silencershop sends your form in, they still do so with physical paper.  It's all the same, except that Silencershop takes your money 5 weeks (in my three instances) before they turn that money over to the ATF.  That's what we call a short-term interest-free loan.  $200 x each person who uses their kiosk is a lot of money, and Silencershop is incentivized to hold that money for longer and not shorter periods of time.  When they need an extra $100,000 to fund operations for week, they can just hold back one box of applications.
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 1:44:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Based on Silencershop's own statements to me, if it takes 5 weeks longer to have the "check cashed", it will take 5 weeks longer to be approved.  When Silencershop sends your form in, they still do so with physical paper.  It's all the same, except that Silencershop takes your money 5 weeks (in my three instances) before they turn that money over to the ATF.  That's what we call a short-term interest-free loan.  $200 x each person who uses their kiosk is a lot of money, and Silencershop is incentivized to hold that money for longer and not shorter periods of time.  When they need an extra $100,000 to fund operations for week, they can just hold back one box of applications.
View Quote
Yeah, they are holding your $200 for a month so they can bank that 20 cents.  You're a genius man.
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 2:21:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Yeah, they are holding your $200 for a month so they can bank that 20 cents.  You're a genius man.
View Quote
People who extend credit to companies like Silencershop (B2B or actual banks) will read your comment and laugh.  As someone who works for a company that extends credit to companies on a short-term basis, I have seen companies do extremely convoluted (and in some ways, impressive) things to maintain "float."  I'm not going to be mean to you like you were to me, but I would encourage you to read up on the subject so you can be better informed next time. . . or talk to the Treasurer/controller of a large company that extends credit to smaller companies. . . they'll set you straight.  Many times, it has less to do with the interest as it does the access to funds.  Why go through the lenders (where you have to pledge assets, and maybe even a personal guarantee), if you can run your business my just using the funds they're supposed to be sending to the government?  Another example is gift cards.  Companies freaking love gift cards.  Starbucks loves their "gold card" program . . . people are giving them free money.  The difference between Starbucks and Silencershop, of course, is that you can demand your "goods" from Starbucks at any time you please.  But Silencershop can control when they send in your applications.  They've already demonstrated a willingness to lie about it, so from my seat, it stinks to high heaven.

But, let's address your actual argument (though it's not the right argument):

Very creditworthy companies are borrowing at LIBOR plus 200 bps.  12-month LIBOR this week is 2.78%.  Holding back 1 box of 500 applications for one month would be worth $48,000 over a 10-year period (compounding annually).  If it's $500,000 (or 5 boxes of applications), it's worth $300,000 ($297,542.70, to be exact).  Who's the genius now?
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 4:18:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

People who extend credit to companies like Silencershop (B2B or actual banks) will read your comment and laugh.  As someone who works for a company that extends credit to companies on a short-term basis, I have seen companies do extremely convoluted (and in some ways, impressive) things to maintain "float."  I'm not going to be mean to you like you were to me, but I would encourage you to read up on the subject so you can be better informed next time. . . or talk to the Treasurer/controller of a large company that extends credit to smaller companies. . . they'll set you straight.  Many times, it has less to do with the interest as it does the access to funds.  Why go through the lenders (where you have to pledge assets, and maybe even a personal guarantee), if you can run your business my just using the funds they're supposed to be sending to the government?  Another example is gift cards.  Companies freaking love gift cards.  Starbucks loves their "gold card" program . . . people are giving them free money.  The difference between Starbucks and Silencershop, of course, is that you can demand your "goods" from Starbucks at any time you please.  But Silencershop can control when they send in your applications.  They've already demonstrated a willingness to lie about it, so from my seat, it stinks to high heaven.

Very creditworthy companies are borrowing at LIBOR plus 200 bps.  12-month LIBOR this week is 2.78%.  Holding back 1 box of 500 applications for one month would be worth $48,000 over a 10-year period (compounding annually).  If it's $500,000 (or 5 boxes of applications), it's worth $300,000 ($297,542.70, to be exact).  Who's the genius now?
View Quote
As someone who is a strategy consultant for corporations who pay $25k a week for me to advise them, here is my take:

Nobody is going to trade 20 cents in interest when that value can be captured with an expedite fee that is worth 100X that much or more, not to mention the damage to your brand or customer satisfaction, or the cost to field customer inquiries from nervous nellies such as yourself.

Occam's razor, these things tend to result from having to follow internal and external processes that take time.

I'm sure you are right though, given your experience working at payday loans.
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 4:22:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I'm sure you are right though, given your experience working at payday loans.
View Quote
I'll send you an email.
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 4:38:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah but why stop at 10 years, at 100 years it would be $480,000, if 5 boxes thats $2.4 million.

I would hate to see how much Botach is making in intrest off of orders yet to ship...

Here something that will really blow your mind...  They charge $25 for their service fee to use their kiosk and file your app’s.  For 500 applications that $1,500,000 over a 10 year period (compounding annually).  It it’s 5 boxes of applications that $7,500,000.  They are Genius...  Those greedy bastards need to share the wealth.  Hey any body know of a way to earn more then 20-40% ROI I have got $7.5 million burning a hole in my pocket.

What you are suggesting is actually good business, except accusing them of purposely withhold the apps to make more money.  If it takes them 1-5 weeks to process the app so be it.  You do know you can submit payment at the end right.  Just figure out which day they are going to mail all the applications and submit payment for the tax stamp a couple days before that date and screw them out of that $0.80 (your figure).
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 4:55:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1419&d=1468371011

https://media.giphy.com/media/oaPcDncoLfgjK/giphy.gif

What you are suggesting is actually good business, except accusing them of purposely withhold the apps to make more money.  
View Quote
I don't disagree. . . it's definitely good business until it isn't.  In other words . . . until people realize that there may be a game afoot, and say, "Whoa. . . I can appreciate your services, but I'll be damned if I'm going to loan you money.  You can charge me when you actually mail the application into the ATF. . . and not 5 weeks before" (like they've been doing).  And if they don't respond to market pressure, hopefully someone else will seize the opportunity and start a competing business that doesn't engage in such practices.

And, for the record, I didn't imply intent.  The facts speak for themselves.  If they are taking in money 5 weeks before they have to pay it out, they're making money on it.  But you can't have it both ways . . . calling it good business but then saying it's not being done intentionally.  Has to be one or the other, right?
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 5:08:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I don't disagree. . . it's definitely good business until it isn't.  In other words . . . until people realize that there may be a game afoot, and say, "Whoa. . . I can appreciate your services, but I'll be damned if I'm going to loan you money.  You can charge me when you actually mail the application into the ATF. . . and not 5 weeks before" (like they've been doing).  And if they don't respond to market pressure, hopefully someone else will seize the opportunity and start a competing business that doesn't engage in such practices.

And, for the record, I didn't imply intent.  The facts speak for themselves.  If they are taking in money 5 weeks before they have to pay it out, they're making money on it.  But you can't have it both ways . . . calling it good business but then saying it's not being done intentionally.  Has to be one or the other, right?
View Quote
How about the ATF sitting on your $200 for 9 months before delivering the stamp? SS isn't the enemy here. They try to make a shitty process LESS shitty. Fortunately you don't have to use SS.

Great times we live in.
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 5:13:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1419&d=1468371011

https://media.giphy.com/media/oaPcDncoLfgjK/giphy.gif

What you are suggesting is actually good business, except accusing them of purposely withhold the apps to make more money.  

We get it.  You think they're crooks and see intent to defraud people in what I figure is probably time to review documents, print them, and process them.   Calling people crooks when they're not can cause a lot of problems though.
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 5:13:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

How about the ATF sitting on your $200 for 9 months before delivering the stamp?

Great times we live in.
View Quote
If we can all agree on something, it's this!  Of course, we're actually paying less than what it costs for them to process these things (that's not just internet rumor, either).  But yes, we shouldn't have to pay to begin with at least, and at most, we shouldn't have to wait longer than a reasonable period of time (two weeks) to be "blessed by the sovereign".
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 5:18:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

We get it.  You think they're crooks and see intent to defraud people in what I figure is probably time to review documents, print them, and process them.   Calling people crooks when they're not can cause a lot of problems though.
View Quote
Who said crooks?  In my mind, a "crook" is someone who breaks the law.  To my knowledge, Silencershop doesn't break the law, and I've never alleged such a thing.  Are they less than transparent?  Yes.  Did they lie to me?  Yes.  But I've never called the crooks.  There very well may be a statute out there that requires them not to hold onto funds without disclosure, or putting them into an interest-bearing account (like they do for law firms), but I haven't researched it enough to know one way or the other.  That doesn't mean it isn't shady.

Edit to add:  W/re to the review, print, and process comment:  No, Silencershop themselves said that they're "aggregating" the forms to fill up their boxes in this time period.  So, you could be form #1 into the box, and form #500 out of the box.  Meanwhile Silencershop holds the $$$$.
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 5:24:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Who said crooks?  In my mind, a "crook" is someone who breaks the law.  To my knowledge, Silencershop doesn't break the law, and I've never alleged such a thing.  Are they less than transparent?  Yes.  Did they lie to me?  Yes.  But I've never called the crooks.  There very well may be a statute out there that requires them not to hold onto funds without disclosure, or putting them into an interest-bearing account (like they do for law firms), but I haven't researched it enough to know one way or the other.  That doesn't mean it isn't shady.

Edit to add:  W/re to the review, print, and process comment:  No, Silencershop themselves said that they're "aggregating" the forms to fill up their boxes in this time period.  So, you could be form #1 into the box, and form #500 out of the box.  Meanwhile Silencershop holds the $$$$.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's the same principle if you look at it on shipping the suppressors.  I've seen them say they ship them together to a dealer as much as possible to keep the cost down.   At what point is it shady to fill a box with forms and ship the box?   Do you have to ship them multiple times a day?  Every day?  Week?  Month?   I've seen them say they send batches.   It may take some time to get a batch together.
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 5:40:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

It's the same principle if you look at it on shipping the suppressors.  I've seen them say they ship them together to a dealer as much as possible to keep the cost down.   At what point is it shady to fill a box with forms and ship the box?   Do you have to ship them multiple times a day?  Every day?  Week?  Month?   I've seen them say they send batches.   It may take some time to get a batch together.
View Quote
It's shady to 1) Charge the customer 5 weeks ahead of time; 2) Lie about why it's taking so long.  They shouldn't charge customers until the box is in the mail and/or they should advise the customer about the time frames (and, going back to #2, they shouldn't lie when the customer calls in good faith to figure out what he can expect).  That's how LaRue does it (and LaRue has a lot more at risk, having specifically built an item for that customer).

W/re shipping - I've never bought a silencer from Silencershop, so I won't comment.
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 6:01:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Just because your experience was a 5 week delay between payment and check cashed being by the ATF, does not mean that's the norm. I have placed 6 orders using the SilencerShop app, and all of them were either Form 1's or Form 4 transfers- I didn't buy any silencers directly from SilencerShop. Here is my experience:

Form 4- purchased: 05/16/17, check cashed: 05/26/17
Form 1- purchased: 09/11/17, check cashed: 09/22/17
Form 1- purchased: 11/10/17, check cashed: 12/08/17
Form 4- purchased: 11/10/17, check cashed: 12/11/17
Form 4- purchased: 04/13/18, check cashed: 05/08/18
Form 4- purchased: 06/29/18, check cashed: 07/18/18

Mine is a larger sample size than yours and spread out over a year. None took 5 weeks. The closest was a month, but that was not the norm, as you can see. I don't get your little crusade against SilencerShop. I've done several of my own fingerprints and photos before the kiosks were available, and prefer the simplicity of using them. I don't mind paying the extra fee. If you dislike it so much, then don't use it. You're starting to sound more like a competitor trying to cost them business at this point.
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 6:40:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Just because your experience was a 5 week delay between payment and check cashed being by the ATF, does not mean that's the norm. I have placed 6 orders using the SilencerShop app, and all of them were either Form 1's or Form 4 transfers- I didn't buy any silencers directly from SilencerShop. Here is my experience:

Form 4- purchased: 05/16/17, check cashed: 05/26/17
Form 1- purchased: 09/11/17, check cashed: 09/22/17
Form 1- purchased: 11/10/17, check cashed: 12/08/17
Form 4- purchased: 11/10/17, check cashed: 12/11/17
Form 4- purchased: 04/13/18, check cashed: 05/08/18
Form 4- purchased: 06/29/18, check cashed: 07/18/18

Mine is a larger sample size than yours and spread out over a year. None took 5 weeks. The closest was a month, but that was not the norm, as you can see. I don't get your little crusade against SilencerShop. I've done several of my own fingerprints and photos before the kiosks were available, and prefer the simplicity of using them. I don't mind paying the extra fee. If you dislike it so much, then don't use it. You're starting to sound more like a competitor trying to cost them business at this point.
View Quote
Are you trying to make my point for me?  Anything Form 4 you've submitted in the last year has been 31, 25, and 19 days, respectively.  That's an average of 25 days.  That's a full 3 WEEKS longer than it takes to just do it yourself.  And, within the last year, I've had 4 with Silencershop, so my sample size in the last 12 months is actually greater than yours.  But, if you want to average mine plus yours (mine were 39 days, if you recall), you end up with a weighted average of 33 DAYS.  Let's call it a month.

Please . . . I love when people throw the "competitor" thing around. . . It's what they do when they're out of arguments.  I'm not even aware that there IS a competitor to Silencershop kiosks.  There certainly isn't at my FFL.  It's just such a lame argument, because I could turn around and say (without any basis whatsoever), that YOU MUST WORK FOR SILENCERSHOP!!!  LOOK, YOU'RE DEFENDING THEM!  SHILL!!!!  It's just so laughable, ESPECIALLY BECAUSE THERE ISN'T A COMPETITOR.  C'mon, man.
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 7:14:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I've done several of my own fingerprints and photos before the kiosks were available, and prefer the simplicity of using them. I don't mind paying the extra fee. If you dislike it so much, then don't use it. You're starting to sound more like a competitor trying to cost them business at this point.
View Quote
It's an odd discussion, since his point is that Shop takes longer and people are arguing with him, but also saying they take longer but it's convenient. Like when they added Form1's and the discussion was getting heated, even though everyone agreed "it costs more, but it's convenient".

So yeah, he's a stubborn guy who keeps responding to the topic, but you're agreeing with his timeline for the most part, so not sure there's really much of a discussion to be had.
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 7:17:39 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
Years ago, when I worked at a dealer and we ordered direct from HK (before they went distributor), it always pissed off the boss that they'd ship guns as they got to them, sometimes shipping 1-5 guns over the course of a week, in 2-3 boxes because they were different variants or whatever. They charged US for shipping, so didn't care.

Meanwhile, they'd hold back the invoices for a few days so they could cram them all into one envelope to save on the postage stamp.
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 9:07:28 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

It's an odd discussion, since his point is that Shop takes longer and people are arguing with him, but also saying they take longer but it's convenient. Like when they added Form1's and the discussion was getting heated, even though everyone agreed "it costs more, but it's convenient".

So yeah, he's a stubborn guy who keeps responding to the topic, but you're agreeing with his timeline for the most part, so not sure there's really much of a discussion to be had.
View Quote
My only point was that none of mine took 5 weeks and most were well under that. I agree that it takes longer. Still don't see his obsession with the topic and acting like he's uncovered the greatest conspiracy ever. SilencerShop created a service that benefits those who choose to utilize it by simplifying the process They are a business, so obviously they want to make extra money. Nobody is forced into using it. If their dealer won't accept any other transfers then find a new dealer. Anyway, I think this topic has been beat to death by now. I don't care what anyone does with their money. I'm used to waiting for NFA items to clear and don't mind waiting the extra time.
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 9:47:23 PM EDT
[#40]
Long time lurker, thought I would add some data points from my experiences with SilencerShop:

1. Form 4- purchased: 03/11/18, check cashed: 04/12/18
2. Form 4- purchased: 03/11/18, check cashed: 04/12/18
3. Form 4- purchased: 03/11/18, check cashed: 04/12/18
4. Form 4- purchased: 03/22/18, check cashed: 04/23/18
5. Form 4- purchased: 03/29/18, check cashed: 05/04/18
6. Form 4- purchased: 03/29/18, check cashed: 05/04/18
7. Form 4- purchased: 04/04/18, check cashed: 05/07/18
8. Form 4- purchased: 05/09/18, check cashed: 05/28/18
9. Form 4- purchased: 06/10/18, check cashed: 06/30/18

I wouldn’t complain if they sped up but for the convenience I’ll be sending my next 5 SiCos through them also.
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 9:51:35 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 11:05:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Long time lurker, thought I would add some data points from my experiences with SilencerShop:

1. Form 4- purchased: 03/11/18, check cashed: 04/12/18
2. Form 4- purchased: 03/11/18, check cashed: 04/12/18
3. Form 4- purchased: 03/11/18, check cashed: 04/12/18
4. Form 4- purchased: 03/22/18, check cashed: 04/23/18
5. Form 4- purchased: 03/29/18, check cashed: 05/04/18
6. Form 4- purchased: 03/29/18, check cashed: 05/04/18
7. Form 4- purchased: 04/04/18, check cashed: 05/07/18
8. Form 4- purchased: 05/09/18, check cashed: 05/28/18
9. Form 4- purchased: 06/10/18, check cashed: 06/30/18

I wouldn’t complain if they sped up but for the convenience I’ll be sending my next 5 SiCos through them also.
View Quote
Dang, that's a lot more impressive than I was at my best (right before 41p/f).  Lots of good data.  Looks like a month for just about everything until May when it picked up (also when I was getting my 5 weeks delay).

You're going to be like a kid a Christmas...probably right around Christmas.
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 11:59:08 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
When are y'all going to just quit replying to this thread?
View Quote
Right now
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 8:21:30 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote
5 weeks.
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 9:32:07 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
5 weeks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
5 weeks.
185 days
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 9:42:16 AM EDT
[#46]
Paying a third party to do something you could do yourself takes longer and costs more.  In other news, water is wet.

Please cease flagellating the expired equine!
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 11:41:42 AM EDT
[#47]
I'll throw my hat in the ring for another data point. This is my first NFA purchase.

SS Form 4 single shot trust

6/22 - purchased late on a friday
6/26 - signed edocs
6/27 - dealer signed edocs + F3 submitted
7/3   - F3 approved
7-5    - F4 mailed
7/19 - check cashed
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 11:47:31 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I'll throw my hat in the ring for another data point. This is my first NFA purchase.

SS Form 4 single shot trust

6/22 - purchased late on a friday
6/26 - signed edocs
6/27 - dealer signed edocs + F3 submitted
7/3   - F3 approved
7-5    - F4 mailed
7/19 - check cashed
View Quote
One of the things that gets me on this is there is a delay from purchase for the F3 to go through.   When do you start figuring the time?  From the day you order from Silencer Shop?  From the day it gets to the dealer that's transferring it to you?   You've got 2 weeks from mailed to check cashed.  2 weeks.   That's nowhere near a month on something that takes 9+ months.
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 12:04:21 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
One of the things that gets me on this is there is a delay from purchase for the F3 to go through.   When do you start figuring the time?  From the day you order from Silencer Shop?  From the day it gets to the dealer that's transferring it to you?   You've got 2 weeks from mailed to check cashed.  2 weeks.   That's nowhere near a month on something that takes 9+ months.
View Quote
I'm not sure I understand your question.  Just to be clear, though, I didn't order anything from Silencershop.  My experience (and delays) have been in relation to their Kiosk services.  So, for me, I started counting the time from when I paid Silencershop (which was the last step in the process for me, though it is possible to pay before you have signed all of the documents).  So, for me (all Form 4's),  I started the clock when I paid Silencershop and had every document signed for them.  39 days after that, the ATF cashed the check.
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 12:46:49 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I'm not sure I understand your question.  Just to be clear, though, I didn't order anything from Silencershop.  My experience (and delays) have been in relation to their Kiosk services.  So, for me, I started counting the time from when I paid Silencershop (which was the last step in the process for me, though it is possible to pay before you have signed all of the documents).  So, for me (all Form 4's),  I started the clock when I paid Silencershop and had every document signed for them.  39 days after that, the ATF cashed the check.  
View Quote
My point was about people who buy from Silencer Shop vs using them for the transfer.

Looking at my first 3 and remember there is a Form 3 involved to the dealer.  What's a normal F3 time right now? 3 weeks to a month?   That's about what ordered to cashed has been.  
purchased 3/5   cashed 3/26  
purchased 3/6   cashed 4/1
purchased 3/28 cashed 5/4

Is it possible their system has a delay on sending to account for the F3 time?  That might account for increased time if you are just doing the form through them and not purchasing it from them.
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top