BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/21/2017 7:09:01 PM EDT
Check this out.

Works just like you would expect.

I wanted an integrated stop, but they are big money.  This does the trick.

The only thing is its kind of hard to store when not in use, a worthy compromise with the $11 price tag v. the $80 for a locking latch.

https://youtu.be/p7NAc33wg7c

Hard to pick up in the video, cell phone, check out the last two rounds.  As the shooter they are substantially quieter.  Cell audio is deceiving.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 7:59:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Excuse my ignorance, but.....
You have to pull that off the bolt, rack the charging handle and then replace the magnet before firing a second shot?
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 8:18:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You have to pull that off the bolt, rack the charging handle and then replace the magnet before firing a second shot?
View Quote
Yes
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 8:24:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Where do ya get it?
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 8:39:45 PM EDT
[#4]
$11 ebay, shipped to me within 2 days.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 10:02:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Yes
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes
That seems much worse than just having a bolt action...?
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 10:18:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
Probably yes, but it's versatile.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 10:41:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
Definatley, why even have a semi auto with one of those?
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 10:43:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Definatley, why even have a semi auto with one of those?
View Quote
Because if you want to go semi, all you have to do is take it off and blast away
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 10:48:06 PM EDT
[#9]
You guys do get that he's using on a suppressed rifle...right?

No bolt movement means the gas is better contained in the suppressor and the bolt/action noise is prevented.  Yes, you loose semi-auto function, but if you are looking to have a rifle that can be ultra quite at times but quickly transition back to semiauto with a noise increase, then it's a simple solution.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 11:58:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
You guys do get that he's using on a suppressed rifle...right?
View Quote
Yeah, just seems like a lot of steps to do what a $200 Savage MKII does better.
I do understand the versatility of it but this is ARF, get both!
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 11:59:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Oops, double tap.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 12:36:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Yeah, just seems like a lot of steps to do what a $200 Savage MKII does better.
I do understand the versatility of it but this is ARF, get both!
View Quote
And this was my point, you're better off with a 10/22 and a bolt gun. That is better than having to fool with a bolt lock like that. Each gun has a purpose, the 10/22 is meant to be shot fast or slow, quiet it's not good at. If you want quiet (and accurate) get a CZ455.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 6:54:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

And this was my point, you're better off with a 10/22 and a bolt gun. That is better than having to fool with a bolt lock like that. Each gun has a purpose, the 10/22 is meant to be shot fast or slow, quiet it's not good at. If you want quiet (and accurate) get a CZ455.
View Quote
It's another step, but for what I wanted it's perfect.  

+1 bolt gun that I would rarely use didn't fit with my budget on this.  The 10/22 is great for everything I wanted and now I can fill the role even better with the little block whenever I want.  I'll just leave it stuck to the barrel for when I want it.

Anyway just sharing.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 7:30:46 AM EDT
[#14]
not to be rude, genuinely curious when this would be worth while? I thought secret squirrel type would shoot 300BO suppressed subs at sentries and until their cover is blown, and then switch to supers. when would you need ti dispatch a pest quietly but then switch over to blast indiscriminately with a 22?
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 8:11:52 AM EDT
[#15]
How well does it work?

We need a video .

I may get one as well.

This would also be great for teaching a child how to shoot instead of single loading the mag every time.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 12:40:35 PM EDT
[#16]
The finish on those things on eBay looks HORRIBLE!  I saw three listed for sale.  One looked like it was out of some high-school shop class and they wanted $11 for it.  The other two were just versions of the same thing.  One was sandblasted and the other had engraving on the side.  Frankly, I could do better with a paint stir stick, some filing, some sanding, and a beer after the work is done.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 1:45:21 PM EDT
[#17]
that looks like a gteat idea to cheaply shoot a quiet single shot. I don’t get all the hate on the gadget. It’s a cheap solution for a rare occasion where you wany the minimum ammount of noise. It’s not like someone is going to use something like yhat all the time. It’s most suited to dispatch a varmint where you would get a lot uf unwanted attention if anyone knew. Ex the neighbors barn cat that keeps getting into your stuff or the rabbit eating your vegetables out of your garden in town limits. No need to spend $200+ for a bolt action when you could just use something like this for 2-3 shots a year.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 2:23:19 PM EDT
[#18]
You know you can just hold the bolt closed with your thumb right?
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 2:57:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
How well does it work?

We need a video .

I may get one as well.

This would also be great for teaching a child how to shoot instead of single loading the mag every time.
View Quote
Video below:

Here is the progression

Shot 1: cci subsonic with first round crack
Shot 2: cci subsonic
Shot 3: cci subsonic with bolt lock installed
Shot 4: cci quiet with bolt lock

Quality finish or not, I like it.

Edit trying to make the video work:

https://youtu.be/p7NAc33wg7c
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 3:42:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Couldn’t get your video link to work.

Glad you like it, I will have to get one.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 3:45:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
You know you can just hold the bolt closed with your thumb right?
View Quote
What a great idea... for people with 3 arms
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 7:14:13 PM EDT
[#22]
I could tell a big difference between the noise of the bolt cycling and not.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 7:16:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
I didn't discount this as a real option until it proved to be too hard to keep a good hold on the rifle while holding the bolt shut.  I tried it a few times and it works, just too hard to handle.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 7:44:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I didn't discount this as a real option until it proved to be too hard to keep a good hold on the rifle while holding the bolt shut.  I tried it a few times and it works, just too hard to handle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Y'all just need to convert to southpaw. Works fine for me! 
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 9:22:23 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
The finish on those things on eBay looks HORRIBLE!  I saw three listed for sale.  One looked like it was out of some high-school shop class and they wanted $11 for it.  The other two were just versions of the same thing.  One was sandblasted and the other had engraving on the side.  Frankly, I could do better with a paint stir stick, some filing, some sanding, and a beer after the work is done.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/22449/s-l500-340733.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/22449/s-l500__1_-340734.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/22449/s-l500__2_-340735.JPG
View Quote
Ok so make your own with better surface finish and machining and sell them for $11 or less.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 9:29:50 AM EDT
[#26]
I thought about making up a bolt/handle that would lock if you pushed, pulled or rotated the bolt handle, and cycle normally otherwise.
Not sure how much of a market there is for it, I don't really care and wouldn't use it much, mine is plenty quiet with a poly buffer...
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 10:43:15 AM EDT
[#27]
Ordered one of those magnetic bolt locks last night.

I wish someone else would make a bolt lock like the colossic. Or something similar.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 12:07:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I thought about making up a bolt/handle that would lock if you pushed, pulled or rotated the bolt handle, and cycle normally otherwise.
Not sure how much of a market there is for it, I don't really care and wouldn't use it much, mine is plenty quiet with a poly buffer...
View Quote
Pretty much describes the collosic handle.  Too bad it's so $$
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 12:39:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Pretty much describes the collosic handle.  Too bad it's so $
View Quote
Kinda, but I would try to find a way to have it lock somewhere besides the rear of the ejection port and be more unobtrusive.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 4:51:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
not to be rude, genuinely curious when this would be worth while?
View Quote
Possum in back yard depredating your germaniums.  Can't allow that kind of misconduct.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 4:14:10 AM EDT
[#31]
For me the action of the 10/22 is the loudest thing so removing the noise from that especially when shooting cci quiet(which obviously doesn't cycle the gun) this makes alot of sense. Wish they made a version that replaced the standard charging handle so it's pseudo straight pull that would be something I'd be interested in. Especially since it holds lockup.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 6:12:35 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Probably yes, but it's versatile.
View Quote
How?
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 7:53:47 AM EDT
[#33]
didn't watch the video but from what I gathered, and maybe its been mentioned already I just skimmed the comments, a spent .223/5.56 casing stuffed between the bolt knob and receiver will keep the bolt from reciprocating back essentially making your 10/22 a bolt action...
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 7:58:28 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
For me the action of the 10/22 is the loudest thing so removing the noise from that especially when shooting cci quiet(which obviously doesn't cycle the gun) this makes alot of sense. Wish they made a version that replaced the standard charging handle so it's pseudo straight pull that would be something I'd be interested in. Especially since it holds lockup.
View Quote
PWS Summit 10/22 receiver...

Link Posted: 10/24/2017 8:16:21 AM EDT
[#35]
I think they have discontinued making those. And they are expensive. But man are they cool.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 1:30:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Neat little bolt stop there.
I made a 3d printed one, maybe I could form a magnet pocket in it? I put a string through that loop for retention.

Link Posted: 10/25/2017 1:37:53 PM EDT
[#37]
I've had one of these for years.  too bad they arent made any more...

Bolt Lock

whole point is for the random times I want to be extra quiet, the option is there.
someone wants to make something....make this thing.  I love it.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 3:29:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Bolt Lock

whole point is for the random times I want to be extra quiet, the option is there.
View Quote
I just hold the bolt shut with my off-hand in those cases.

Someone needs to come up with a spring-loaded button that mounts at the side or rear of the receiver that you press to lock the bolt shut, and when you release your grip to charge the handle it unlocks.  Locate it just above your normal firing grip so you don't press it accidentally when you want semi-auto.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 3:54:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 4:00:15 PM EDT
[#40]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
PWS Summit 10/22 receiver...

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/IMG_0415-660x343.gif

Link Posted: 10/25/2017 4:22:22 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Bolt Lock

View Quote
This was the best option but sadly he no longer offers them.

You should have someone look at how yours is made and just copy them and sell them.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 6:19:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Maybe a bolt handle that you can push in and out of the receiver. Like push it into the bolt and it tightens up in the receiver for lock and pull it out for semi.
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 10:36:52 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I just hold the bolt shut with my off-hand in those cases.

View Quote
nah.  too much trouble.  and puts you in a weird shooting position.
when shooting from a bench or just plinking....sure.  but when you're trying to whack a pesky squirrel at range from the deer blind, I like having my front hand available to steady the rifle.
with the bolt lock, just pull the tab down and shoot.  then press tab back up and charge the rifle.
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 10:41:24 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

nah.  too much trouble.  and puts you in a weird shooting position.
when shooting from a bench or just plinking....sure.  but when you're trying to whack a pesky squirrel at range from the deer blind, I like having my front hand available to steady the rifle.
with the bolt lock, just pull the tab down and shoot.  then press tab back up and charge the rifle.
View Quote
Yes, if you have a bolt-lock.
i was talking about vs. stuffing a piece of plastic or metal behind your bolt handle and removing it for each shot.
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 10:12:43 PM EDT
[#45]
Got my bolt stop in tonight. Hope to try it out tomorrow
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 10:47:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote
Video required.
Link Posted: 10/28/2017 11:06:18 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Video required.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Video required.
First shots. It was raining while recording this.

Link Posted: 10/28/2017 11:41:22 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPqCSB4-f_0
View Quote
Awesome video! Such a huge difference at the action. What do you think?  After a little bit of practice the motion to cycle the next round isn't all that bad.
Link Posted: 10/28/2017 12:24:09 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPqCSB4-f_0
View Quote
Great vid.  I have to wonder if the action noise of hand cycling + the muzzle report with the bolt stop does not equal the sound of both together?  Yes, it's does cut the action noise but I don't think there's a significant port pop.

Still, a decent value if you don't have or don't want to get a bolt action... or you prefer just one gun.
Link Posted: 10/28/2017 3:22:46 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Great vid.  I have to wonder if the action noise of hand cycling + the muzzle report with the bolt stop does not equal the sound of both together?...
View Quote
^ Great point.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top