Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/21/2017 11:27:28 AM EDT
I'm a lurker, been here a while and y'all have the honor to witness the first thread I started during my tenure.

Be gentle ...

Did some googling, got a lot of info on loads but not a whole lot on the impact of PC boolits on suppressors.  

Have a couple of 308/7.62x51 suppressors ... Surge and Tranquillo and would love to duplicate my experiences with CCI SV's I'm getting with my 22 cans.  Basically to poke holes in paper and get rid of the occasional varmit at very close range without the neighborhood knowing.  

Second reason will be to have a visual indication that this (color) round is subsonic.  

Third reason is the cost of jacketed bullets will be a waste for the application ... I just want to have cheap fun.

Barrel is 1-10 on a SIG 716 that has an adjustable gas block.

Since all y'all bear the heavy burden of getting me started with my growing can collection, I am asking for some payback.   (Seems that the accepted number to own is 87)

For the .308, what boolit weights at subsonic speeds (<1050 fps) are stable?

Are lighter boolits (<150 gr.) better or do heavier (168-200gr) maintain their stability to avoid baffle strikes?

Does the powder coating flake off and contaminate the baffles?

What are the experiences for non-PC boolits fired though the can?

Good - bad - so so ... I'd like to learn about it.  
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 5:02:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Does the powder coating flake off and contaminate the baffles?
View Quote

My results were not good. Matching bullet to bore size plays a big part. Bullet hardness and the make up of your poly coating play into it as well.

Lots of info about it here.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 7:53:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you, that never came up in my searches.  

I'll keep digging, right now it looks like jacketed is the way to go if I want to shoot subsonic suppressed.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 9:35:19 AM EDT
[#3]
I cast 44 bullets from range scrap lead(i.e. Very soft), powder coat, size, then let them age for a few weeks to harden before shooting them subsonic.  The key is to coat them immediately after casting. If you wait the coating won't stick as well.  

I've shot almost 500 now with no visible leading in barrel or silencer.  I shoot them subsonic without silencer up to 1300fps so far with no lead in barrel.  

I've found a few shot bullets on the ground and the powder coat is solid on the lands and grooves.  Some have thin lines of visible lead along the land-groove transition, I believe caused by uneven Coating thickness.  

I used powderbuythepound.com powder and fast pistol powders.  Unless you shoot large amounts of subsonic it isn't worth the effort.  You can buy lightweight 30 cal hornady Bullets so cheap it's not worth your time.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 12:06:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I really don't want to get into casting.  

I barely have time to do what what I want plus my hobby budget is saturated as it is.

Will look into those Hornady's.  

Why lighter bullets?  

Most what I've read, heavier is what they recommend.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 3:45:42 PM EDT
[#5]
I bought some of the leather head cast bullets for my 300blk and had poor results. Did have leading.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 4:35:48 PM EDT
[#6]
I've been using Palmetto Projectiles 203gr coated bullets. No leading in barrel or can. They are so hard they ring. They do tend to ricochet off the ground more than other cast bullets I've shot. 
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 4:44:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Lighter bullets are quieter than heavy and you said quiet was your goal.  

I would be hesitant to buy bare lead bullets and then powder coat them - the coating would not stick well based on my experience.  

If you mean the Htc coating, it will gum up your silencer much faster and I would stay away from it.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 2:02:01 PM EDT
[#8]
I cast and powder coat for subs and some supers.
I have checked for PC residue in the can but found zero, just regular black/grey crud.
Can was Octane 9 on 77/357. Tried 300BLK with 220gr PCCB subs and 245gr 38SPL subs and 158gr 357 Mag supers, recovered bullets below.
Also shot PCCB Lee 220gr subs and Lee 155gr supers through an SDN6. Could not see powder crud but non-takedown can so...
Just shake em in a ziploc with powder, dump on wire mesh tray, bake, cool, break em apart, load.

Recovered pills show PC still there.
Shot through approx 2' of doe and shoulder.

Shot through 14" Spruce trunk.

My 300BLK is 8" AR pistol 1:7 twist and shows no leading, none of my other hosts do either. My alloy is wheel weights so on the harder end of the range.
Your probably 1:10 308 should stabilize 200-220, might see instability over that. Never tried 308 subs personally, lots of others though.
Hosts I have shot PCCB through;
35REM TC Contender
77/357 Ruger
Glock 40 MOS 10mm with KKM 6.6" bbl
300BLK AR pistol and rifle
S&W M&P 9
Glock 19
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 3:03:27 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm casting pretty hard, and sizing to .309.
Then powder coating. They around up around .311.
I'm getting no leading and decent accuracy,1.0"-1.5" at 50 yds subsonic.
No residue in my YHM can either
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 2:31:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Thank you for the thoughtful replies.

Learned some new things, specifically powdercoated newly cast bullets.
Was not aware that old cast bullets was not recommended.  

I was planning on buying PCCB and trying them out.  

Seeing how many suppressed pistol owners shooting PCCB's is what drove me to ask this question regarding my 308.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top