Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/17/2017 7:57:53 PM EDT
I took my SpecwarK off earlier to inspect it and I noticed what looked like some erosion to me. I couldn't get a clear shot of the second baffle to save my life but it looks a good amount worse than first one. Its a very ragged hole. Based off the picture the first baffle is minuscule in comparison.  Where if the first baffle was all the wear I saw I wouldn't bother with it. The other baffles look fine. At first I thought it was a baffle strike but it is to uneven for it to be that right? Once I ruled out it being a baffle strike in my head I wondered if it was carbon buildup. I took a scrapper to it real quick and didn't see much of a difference after a scraped a bit of it. I have just over a tad of 1000 rounds through it. I had a carbine class this weekend and I didn't notice any accuracy issues. There will be a follow up email to Silencerco but anything you guys think? I'll be pretty disappointed if this low of a round count can cause erosion. Now if this is one of those things that after a while it will get to a point and it will stop that is fine with me, I just don't want further issues down the road. So what does the Hive think?

ETA: Shot exclusively on 10.3" Ar with flash hider.

Attachment Attached File

ETA: This picture you will have to zoom but you can see some of the second baffle.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 7:59:25 PM EDT
[#1]
What gun
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 8:00:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Sorry, edited.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 8:06:53 PM EDT
[#3]
That is surprising given the baffles are stellite.  Maybe change to a muzzle brake if you are going to continue using it on the SBR?  See what sico says, otherwise shoot it and forget about it.  Send it in for rebuild when it needs it.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 8:09:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Looks like minimal erosion from the picture, nothing to be concerned about from what I can see. This is going to happen with any can and even more so with a shorter barrel.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 9:55:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Need better pics. Try setting the phone on the opening and turning the flash on. This works well on iPhones.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 3:23:32 PM EDT
[#6]
WELL....suppressors are consumables and such will erode over use.

looks better than my AAC SCAR-SD blast baffle with over 1000 rounds thru it...

IMG_96132 by scott h, on Flickr
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 5:37:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Dang. I guess a muzzle brake does make a difference as far as the baffles go. I have at least 1K+ thru my SpecWar K (muzzle brake on 5.56 11.5”) and it doesn’t look that bad.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 7:46:27 PM EDT
[#8]
That's pretty amazing erosion for stellite, to be honest.  That's usually a sign of much higher round count and a ton of full auto fire.  The shape of that baffle makes it pretty insensitive to erosion, though.  A super sharp baffle like Sig's will erode quickly and the bore then grows in diameter.    You should still be good for a long time, but watch it and contact SiCo as soon as you see it getting worse.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 8:58:58 PM EDT
[#9]
You'd be really upset if you had my surefire can that's had prob 6k or so if youre upset about that
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 9:29:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You'd be really upset if you had my surefire can that's had prob 6k or so if youre upset about that
View Quote
I guess I made this thread pointless considering I can't get the second baffle in the picture. Its way worse than the first one. I'm not the kind of person that gets bent out of shape when my gun gets a scratch, I treat them like tools. So that small mark on the first baffle doesn't bother me. I think i'll just drop an email to Silencerco and just keep shooting it. I just figured I would get more rounds through it before I saw this.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 10:28:00 PM EDT
[#11]
That's more wear than I would expect at 1,000 rounds, but...a 10.3" 5.56 with a flash hider will tend to do that kind of thing. Brakes help a TON.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 10:50:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Thinking about it, if the second baffle is worse off than the first then it's one of two things:

--Metallurgical issue with the stellite (I'd definitely call SiCo)
--Maybe a baffle strike chipped it and then bounced off the 2nd baffle causing damage to it also.  After hard shooting it may look eroded.

Speaking of the robustness of this baffle, when it was developed, we shot it until the can was cherry red for a few cycles.  We did the same with an M4-2000 and then cut both in half.   The inconel baffles in the M4-2000 had eroded significantly and the bore had grown in size.  The Saker/Specwar baffles had very little erosion and the bore remained the same diameter.  Here's the funny part--the baffles were prototyped out 17-4 stainless.  The moral of the story is that when it comes to erosion, a superior shape with an inferior material can handle erosion better than a superior material with an inferior geometry.  When the production versions of this baffle were made, it got even better.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 11:38:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Second pic, I think there maybe a baffle strike on the second baffle. I zoomed in on my iPhone and it looks like there is fresh metal exposed through the carbon build up which to me would suggest a slight strike. Have you tried alignment rods to check concentricity?
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 12:04:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Second pic, I think there maybe a baffle strike on the second baffle. I zoomed in on my iPhone and it looks like there is fresh metal exposed through the carbon build up which to me would suggest a slight strike. Have you tried alignment rods to check concentricity?
View Quote
i dunno about that..... not so sure about a strike there. i wasted a can once with a loose mount and it was catastrophic. i could understand an exit hole strike being light but anything inside, should be way more problematic, from my experience.

the initial strike was before the end here....makes me cringe just looking at it BUT i sure learned a good lesson..

IMG_1320 by scott h, on Flickr
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 12:49:18 PM EDT
[#15]
That seems normal-ish, I suppose, from my experience. I noticed erosion after a single magazine on a Specwar K using a FH and 10.3" barrel.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 2:40:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Update: I received a reply from SiCo yesterday and they said I should be fine its just carbon buildup. So this morning I tried to take more pictures and I think I managed to get the second baffle clearly in the picture. The rest of the baffles look fine. I will send them a follow up with these pictures and see what is said.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 10:16:10 PM EDT
[#17]
New pics are great!

I'm surprised to see it looks that bad (to me). I have Surefire cans (inconel, not stellite) with thousands of rounds on them and no erosion of the baffle apertures. Edited to add: all on 10" SBR's with flash hiders, not brakes.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 7:36:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Delete
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 9:24:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Thinking about it, if the second baffle is worse off than the first then it's one of two things:

--Metallurgical issue with the stellite (I'd definitely call SiCo)
--Maybe a baffle strike chipped it and then bounced off the 2nd baffle causing damage to it also.  After hard shooting it may look eroded.

Speaking of the robustness of this baffle, when it was developed, we shot it until the can was cherry red for a few cycles.  We did the same with an M4-2000 and then cut both in half.   The inconel baffles in the M4-2000 had eroded significantly and the bore had grown in size.  The Saker/Specwar baffles had very little erosion and the bore remained the same diameter.  Here's the funny part--the baffles were prototyped out 17-4 stainless.  The moral of the story is that when it comes to erosion, a superior shape with an inferior material can handle erosion better than a superior material with an inferior geometry.  When the production versions of this baffle were made, it got even better.  
View Quote
Isn't it just the first baffle that's stellite?  I thought the rest were stainless steel.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 10:35:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Wow yeah that second baffle looks pretty beat up. I don’t think that’s carbon added onto the bore, that looks like material removed from the bore.

My 556k has only 500 rounds through it but they were on a 10.3” with a flash hider mount and I have essentially zero erosion or irregularity of baffle shape.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 4:40:55 PM EDT
[#21]
all the talk about how sig silencers would erode fast due to the geometry of the baffles i decided to try for myself.

me and 2 friends went out today with 600 rds of m193, we mag dumped all 20 magazines as fast as possible to keep the heat up and constant.

first baffle is dirty but looks absolutely brand new. I know 600 rds isnt fast but i was expecting to see some kind of mark or something with the way people were acting like the can would just melt away before your eyes because of how it was made.

Using the muzzle brake, not flash hider.

ill post a pic of it later, thing is a major bitch to get off without a wrench. Was kinda worried about sigs mounting system at first when i saw how simple it was, really didnt want to go searching for a can after launching it 25yds down range but god damn....that thing does not want to come off.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 8:27:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:Isn't it just the first baffle that's stellite?  I thought the rest were stainless steel.
View Quote
No, according to their website, all the baffles are stellite.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 9:47:07 PM EDT
[#23]
What ammo? What firing schedule? Looks pretty bad for 1000 rounds. 
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 8:26:13 AM EDT
[#24]
Were you shooting any frangible ammo?
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 9:43:31 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 10:09:41 AM EDT
[#26]
My surefire is grooved pretty good

Old pic, its worse now

Still sounds fine

Link Posted: 10/25/2017 9:59:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:My surefire is grooved pretty good
View Quote
FYI, closed tine flash hiders don't do this.
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 4:15:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 5:47:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Kind of looks like the port in the baffle is very finely focusing gas through that slot, and that focused particulate matter and heat are hurting that second baffle.   The first baffle doesn't have to deal with the focused combustion material because there is distance between the muzzle and that baffle, and the gas is reaching it balanced and symetrically.   Using a muzzle brake wouldn't help much as that aperture is still going to focus that gas on that surface.  It is probably a better design for longer barrels like 14.5".

The oddity in that is that there is a minor crack or wear feature in the first baffle so it looks like it wasn't liking the conditions either.  That wear looks more consistent with 316 SS baffle wear I've seen in budget name brand cans.  Unless there was some other contributor like bullet jacket separation or something like that, it strikes me as fairly agressive wear for 500 rounds.  You can definitely get snarly looking 316SS baffles fast because that material is just too soft to excel as a baffle material.
View Quote
A coincidence that you posted in here because I was about to make an update post. For those asking about my firing schedule and ammo used its been 99.99% Wolf Gold with about 20 rounds of the steel cased stuff. So after emailing SiCo and getting a reply back of everything is fine I went to the range today to sight in a new optic. Shot about 150 or so, can didn't even get super hot. Took it off about 30 minutes ago and noticed another point of wear in the first baffle. The second baffle has "smoothed" out, much of that is probably from it blasting it away. I figured its best now to have it sent back to them to check it out. The picture only shows the first baffle but its pretty easy to see the wear.

Attachment Attached File

So the second part this had me thinking. You said "looks like the port in the baffle is very finely focusing gas through that slot". My flash hider is one of the B.E Meyers/ASR mounts they made. When I first got it and being a suppressor noob the ring bothered me for some reason. After researching the topic I found that some people drilled small holes of varying depth to eliminate the ring. So I did just that. Could these holes possibly be my problem? In hindsight shooting a couple mags through the can makes the flash hider dirty enough to pretty much remove the ring. Lesson learned.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 7:56:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:Could these holes possibly be my problem?
View Quote
I think the pronged flash hider could be your problem. That's why I only use closed tine flash hiders.

Link Posted: 11/1/2017 9:51:53 PM EDT
[#31]
That's not at all normal for stellite.  After seeing your other pics, there's definitely erosion going on that shouldn't be there.  Since it's sharp bits that have broken off, I'm pretty certain it's from small strikes either by the bullet or from jacket separations.  Stellite can be very hard and extremely erosion resistant, but when this property is maxed out, it also loses some toughness (ability to absorb energy).  Often, there's a heat treat process done on the material that will pull back some of the high hardness and make it tougher.  Anyway, if the bullet kisses the baffle, it will often "chip" off a little bit of material, but it won't bend or deform the baffle much at all.

The other option is that the castings were flawed and they're porous and they're literally eroding apart.   That sounds scary, but it's a pretty low likelihood.
Link Posted: 11/2/2017 11:28:28 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 11/2/2017 1:49:03 PM EDT
[#33]
I have a lot more rounds through mine (muzzle brake), but I have some strange albeit much different wear on my 2nd baffle.  

Link Posted: 11/17/2017 11:44:38 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 11/17/2017 10:21:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Got it back today. Overall it was about 2 weeks with shipping both ways. Can looks brand new. When I sent it in there was spray paint and melted plastic on it(Don't ask). Can't even tell that it was on there. I'm not quite sure what the process consists of but I assume cut the end cap and asr mount off then push out the stack and weld new ends on? Regardless I was happy, until I looked down the stack . It appears the first baffle is 45* off from the rest of the stack. Far enough off that simply looking down the stack it can be seen. Now it is on me that I don't have any kind of alignment rod to check this perfectly. But i screwed it on and checked down the bore and appears to be no obstruction that I can see. I have emailed SiCo but don't expect a response from them until Monday. If this is me worrying over nothing then by all means tell me. Any other non NFA item would really be no big deal, but with the process surrounding this I can't help but be a little worried.

ETA: After looking at this pictures full screen and not on my phone I feel they make it appear worse than what it actually looks like. I tried to hold it as straight as I could. Looking through the tube at a light source it appears to be a perfect circle all the way through. So this should pretty much be good to go and not a worry then right?

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/18/2017 2:08:14 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Got it back today. Overall it was about 2 weeks with shipping both ways. Can looks brand new. When I sent it in there was spray paint and melted plastic on it(Don't ask). Can't even tell that it was on there. I'm not quite sure what the process consists of but I assume cut the end cap and asr mount off then push out the stack and weld new ends on? Regardless I was happy, until I looked down the stack . It appears the first baffle is 45* off from the rest of the stack. Far enough off that simply looking down the stack it can be seen. Now it is on me that I don't have any kind of alignment rod to check this perfectly. But i screwed it on and checked down the bore and appears to be no obstruction that I can see. I have emailed SiCo but don't expect a response from them until Monday. If this is me worrying over nothing then by all means tell me. Any other non NFA item would really be no big deal, but with the process surrounding this I can't help but be a little worried.

ETA: After looking at this pictures full screen and not on my phone I feel they make it appear worse than what it actually looks like. I tried to hold it as straight as I could. Looking through the tube at a light source it appears to be a perfect circle all the way through. So this should pretty much be good to go and not a worry then right?

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/331429/IMG_9100__1_-365845.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/331429/IMG_9104-365851.JPG
View Quote
I wouldn’t worry about that at all. It’s not going to make a difference in performance. My Specwar’s baffles aren’t perfectly aligned either. Works just fine.
Link Posted: 11/19/2017 1:13:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Again that porting feature working to make that silencer perform is going to focus erosion on that 2nd baffle, so what you are looking at is not going to happen to that first baffle because it doesn't have gas hitting it at a 45 degree angle like the second.
View Quote
Interesting. Thanks, Green0. That makes sense.
Link Posted: 11/19/2017 4:52:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Update: I received a reply from SiCo yesterday and they said I should be fine its just carbon buildup. So this morning I tried to take more pictures and I think I managed to get the second baffle clearly in the picture. The rest of the baffles look fine. I will send them a follow up with these pictures and see what is said.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/331429/IMG_8998-338923.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/331429/IMG_8997-338924.JPG
View Quote
Beat me to it. That’s just build up.
Link Posted: 11/19/2017 4:56:46 PM EDT
[#39]
What’s all this about Sig suppressors getting messed up?  I? beat mine. Srd 556ti qd and it looks fine. Out if a 10.5 too

The mounting system is just as good as any other imo too.
Link Posted: 11/19/2017 6:37:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
What’s all this about Sig suppressors getting messed up?  I? beat mine. Srd 556ti qd and it looks fine. Out if a 10.5 too
View Quote
A Sig rep told me that they have temporarily halted manufacturing the SRD556Ti-QD because the first baffle was prematurely eroding.  They plan to change the first baffle to a tougher metal but no ETA when that will occur.  The rep said that the original model should be used on longer barrels due to the wear issue.

The Sig website currently shows the SRD762Ti-QD but not the 556 version.  I didn't ask if the 762 version had a different first baffle from the 556 version.
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 2:37:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

A Sig rep told me that they have temporarily halted manufacturing the SRD556Ti-QD because the first baffle was prematurely eroding.  They plan to change the first baffle to a tougher metal but no ETA when that will occur.  The rep said that the original model should be used on longer barrels due to the wear issue.

The Sig website currently shows the SRD762Ti-QD but not the 556 version.  I didn't ask if the 762 version had a different first baffle from the 556 version.  
View Quote
When Sig first showed cutaways of their new can, there was one with a "reverse taper" on the bore.  It started out really large in diameter for the blast baffle and then tightened down to the front cap.  Everyone was like "Oooh cooooool.  Look at that reverse taper on the bore.  These guys have really figured out some baffle magic!".  Few realized it was just erosion of the bore.  
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 2:39:28 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
Huh. Well, I’m going to shoot mine and eventually just send it in for an overhaul if it needs it. I’m not sweating it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top