Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/15/2017 7:00:53 PM EDT
Ok, wanting to pick up a Predator to put a Silencerco Omega on. Using for hunting and target practice. Reading a review on the truth about guns website, and they were stating they were getting a 6 inch variance with a suppressor because the barrel profile was too light to support the extra weight of the suppressor. Any truth to this? Seemed a stretch to me.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 7:52:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I have had excellent results suppressing both of my American Predator rifles.   One is a 22-250 running a Gemtech Trek and the other is a .243 running a Suppressed Armament Systems Reaper.    Both shoot excellent and group under 1 inch at 100 yards.   I have not noticed any POI shift when shooting suppressed or unsuppressed.     Both of my American Predators have been shooters right out of the box.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 11:37:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I've got 60 rounds through a new Ruger Predator in 6.5 Creedmoor, so the barrel is still settling in, so to speak.  I've got it zeroed at an inch high at 100 yards with my SRT Arms Shadow Ti XL threaded on.  The can weighs in at 16 ounces.  The rifle groups sub-moa with the can and, so far a little larger, 1.5-2.0 inches without.

Point of impact is also about 5 inches higher without the can installed.  But I don't think the barrel profile is too light for the full size can.  It's a medium weight profile and Ruger knew many of us would be using those threads for our cans.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 2:24:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I've only put two rounds through my RAP without a silencer on it.  Too loud with a brake.  

IOW, I only shoot it suppressed, so I have no POI changes to worry about.  The Omega sounds great on it.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 4:20:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I've used a Hybrid and an Omega on my .308 Win Predator (18" model), not a single shot without a suppressor. The accuracy is great and I've taken it out to 1000 yards. The Predator barrels certainly aren't heavy varmint or competition profiles but they are more than capable of hosting a suppressor. The accuracy of the Predator and three Ranch rifles I have is really amazing, and they are all great suppressed.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 11:28:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Glowing reviews indeed. Is a 5 inch POI change normal though? I don't think I've seen that on any of my AR's with a suppressor.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 11:43:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Shamus, what barrel profile on your AR and what's the weight of the can you're using?
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 12:19:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Glowing reviews indeed. Is a 5 inch POI change normal though? I don't think I've seen that on any of my AR's with a suppressor.
View Quote
A growing number of suppressor owners share this opinion: I invested alot of money and time on a metal tube that makes my gun quieter so I'm going to zero with it, use it all the time, and not worry about what the gun does without it.

Unless you are competing and aren't allowed to use it, or hunting where you aren't allowed to use it, I don't understand owning a suppressor and not zeroing with it and using it all the time. When I initially went out with my first rifle suppressor, the group had moved about 2 to 3 inches down and right at 100 yards. I zeroed to that group and never looked back. I have seen alot of posts about the group shifting so maybe they'll chime in here for you. Either way, your Omega is not very heavy and the Predator lineup will work great with it.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 1:12:26 PM EDT
[#8]
There could be any number of reasons one might have the need to know p.o.i. changes between a suppressed and non-suppressed rifle.  In my case, I've got a new gun bearer type of sling attachment for carrying the Predator on my back pack, this hunting season.  The butt of the rifle will be down, below and behind my hip, the scoped area of the rifle will ride under my armpit and the barrel will come up beside my head on my strong carry side.  

I'm just not sure I want the can on the end of the barrel while I'm humping around through the hills.  First, if I take a fall, I could possibly bend or damage the barrel, the threading or the can, itself.  Secondly, I'm not sure I need the can impeding my vision off to that side of my field of view.  Right now, I plan to do my walking & hiking without the can mounted and thread it on when I sit on stand, occasionally.  Thus, the need to know what my p.o.i. will be in either situation.  It may prove to be more of a hassle than its worth...just not sure which will work better at this point.

I'll know more after I try the system in the field a few weeks from now during combined deer & elk, 3rd rifle season.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 1:43:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Sounds like a complicated solution to the few drawbacks of a traditional sling. Do you plan to dial your POI change on the scope or are you holding at a different point on the reticle?

OP - Good luck with your decision, post up some pics if you buy one!
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 2:42:30 PM EDT
[#10]
With this system, if I have opportunity for a shot while the rifle is 'holstered', there is a quick release function that will basically drop the rifle in my hands, in a sort of low-ready position, if you will.  So, it's not quite as complicated as it sounds...in theory.  We'll see how it performs in the real world, for me.  Other hunters I've seen on youtube, seem to use it quite handily.

And, yes, if I do need to take a shot without the can threaded on, I'll be aiming 4-5 inches lower, with the scope I'll be using this season.  Plan is to get a deal for the scope I want for this rifle, on Black Friday, which will be after my hunt by a couple weeks.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 4:10:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I plan to do my walking & hiking without the can mounted and thread it on when I sit on stand, occasionally.
View Quote
That "reduced field of vision" you're worried about will hurt your chances a hell of a lot less than unscrewing a thread protector and threading a can on while sitting in your stand.. Everything within shooting distance will hear you and be long gone.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 11:34:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
A growing number of suppressor owners share this opinion: I invested alot of money and time on a metal tube that makes my gun quieter so I'm going to zero with it, use it all the time, and not worry about what the gun does without it.

Unless you are competing and aren't allowed to use it, or hunting where you aren't allowed to use it, I don't understand owning a suppressor and not zeroing with it and using it all the time. When I initially went out with my first rifle suppressor, the group had moved about 2 to 3 inches down and right at 100 yards. I zeroed to that group and never looked back. I have seen alot of posts about the group shifting so maybe they'll chime in here for you. Either way, your Omega is not very heavy and the Predator lineup will work great with it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm with this guy ^^. I have no plans to shoot without my cans if they will work on the gun and I'm not worried about damaging it with SiCo's warranty. For what it is worth, I have a skinny 16" barrel on my AR and the Omega changed the POI down 1" at 100 yards.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top