Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/12/2017 12:11:41 AM EDT
It seems every "Which .45 Can?" question comes down to these two.

However, with BATFE's bullshit ruling in March one of the Ghost-M's advantages (wipes for reduced FRP and a few less dB) is not what it was before with an FFL having to replace the wipes.

Without being able to possess a bunch of extra wipes does this make the Obsidian clearly superior to anyone else?  It seems before that ruling the consensus was that each had strengths that were unique to them so many considered them equal.

I want a .45 can and am torn which way to go.  There is a local shop that stocks the Ghost but I don't want to settle for "easy" if the Obsidian is better in a wipe-less world.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 12:45:47 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm going with the Obsidian but it's a no-brainer for me in part because of the mount/piston compatibility with SiCo. I just picked up my Hybrid and have an Omega 9k on the way.

After I got my 9k I was wishing SiCo made a serviceable, modular 45 can, since that was next on my list. Then I heard about the piston/mount compatibility and how well the Obsidian performs. SOLD. I didn't even get any SiCo pistons, just going all Rugged.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 12:52:58 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't have a can yet but ordered a ghost since I wanted a wipe and don't care about SiCo mounts. . I rather have the wipe and i can easily get more. If the wipe is an issue for you go with the obsidian.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 12:54:23 AM EDT
[#3]
I have both of these cans and if I compare cans on real world use I have a hard time picking a winner.
Currently I am leaning towards the Rugged barely. They are both just top teir cans. So add in the other things we consider when buying a can like looks, price, accessories, etc and I would say the Rugged wins. I prefer the looks of the Dead Air and that's why I have 2 Ghost but they also cost me $150 (approx) more each then the Rugged. Forget about the wipe and pick the can that looks the best to you. If the extra $ for the Dead Air means anything to you then know that your not getting any less of a product with the Rugged.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 1:54:39 AM EDT
[#4]
I'd like to know which has less blowback and a better tone.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 9:33:38 AM EDT
[#5]
From what I have gleaned from the .45 can threads:

Obsidian

+  Less expensive
+  Takes SiCo pistons
+  Non-slotted pistons reduce blowback
+  All baffles 17-4
-   Aluminum Tubes
-   Had 9mm endcaps available, but it seems they are not any longer

Ghost-M

+ Can use wiped endcap to reduce FRP and drop a few dB, though now the ATF kind of stomped on this for everyone.  I know my FFL/SOT is less than a mile away and on the way home so getting wipes replaced (and they aren't even necessary) would be easy.
+ Titanium tubes
-  Front section has aluminum baffles---this is why the can is slightly lighter than the Obsidian in "long" assembly.  Some prefer steel for US cleaners.
-  Costs more

I have no silencerco pistons and don't really care about the price difference.  I am more interested in which is the most quiet with the best tone and least blowblack in the "full" setup only as I am not interested in running them short.

I have the following hosts:

HK Mark 23
HK USP Tactical .45
HK USP Tactical 9mm
FNX Tactical .45
SIG P226 Combat 9mm
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 9:45:11 AM EDT
[#6]
I currently have an Obsidian pending (hopefully will receive stamp in 3 more months) and went through the exact same decision process before placing the order. I purchased mine last August (due to a SNAFU, the local dealer didn't receive the can until March) and was very close to ordering the Dead Air because I thought it looked cooler but in the end the $100 price difference dictated my final choice. I'd definitely purchase the Obsidian over the Ghost again because of the ATF's "wipe ruling".
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 9:47:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Obsidian

+  Less expensive
+  Takes SiCo pistons
+  All baffles 17-4
-   Aluminum Tubes

Ghost-M

+ Can use wiped endcap to reduce FRP and drop a few dB, though now the ATF kind of stomped on this for everyone.  I know my FFL/SOT is less than a mile away and on the way home so getting wipes replaced (and they aren't even necessary) would be easy.
+ Titanium tubes
-  Front section has aluminum baffles---this is why the can is slightly lighter than the Obsidian in "long" assembly.  Some prefer steel for US cleaners.
-  Costs more

I have no silencerco pistons and don't really care about the price difference.  I am more interested in which is the most quiet with the best tone and least blowblack in the "full" setup only as I am not interested in running them short.

HK Mark 23
HK USP Tactical .45
HK USP Tactical 9mm
FNX Tactical .45
SIG P226 Combat 9mm
View Quote
Currently, I have a SiCo Osprey pending for my MK23 and a Obsidian pending for my FNX45 Tactical.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 10:02:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'd like to know which has less blowback and a better tone.
View Quote
Well, my Obsidian lives on my SBR CZ Scorpion, and I don't get much of any gas in the face.  But that's a PCC, haven't used it on a pistol, I have an Osprey for that.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 10:05:42 AM EDT
[#9]
I thought the wipe issue was addressed with a quick trip to amazon.com???

As an Obsidian owner, I would have considered the Ghost if the prices were close.  

The Ghost short, with a wipe, and wet/gel, is probably a cool combo.

EDIT: It's my first pistol can. In long with a 9mm cap, Lawman 147s, I get peppered with most shots in both a USP9T and 226. 99% of the time it lives on a PCC.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 12:28:28 PM EDT
[#10]
A key performance input for the Ghost was low back pressure.  A standard M-style baffle cone works well for catching gas, but can be horrible at directing it back to the chamber when the action opens.  The compressed-K baffle on the Ghost is awesome for back pressure and holding an ablative for a long time if you want to do that.  You'll really notice the lower backpressure when you forget to put on safety glasses with this can.  You don't get the same "holy-crap-I-just-got-blinded-by-flying-particulates" experience that you will with other cans.  This of course will depend heavily on each host weapon, but it's pretty dramatic if you look for it.  With a good lock-up weapon, you can actually shoot this wet without thoroughly coating yourself.  

People that are concerned about the aluminum module baffles should note that there's virtually no buildup in this area. It's just a simple layer of carbon that fills in some nooks and crannies and then the can works even better.  If you feel you need to clean them, they're hard coated 7075-T6 and they can take abuse.  

Todd Magee
Dead Air Engineering
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 1:39:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
A key performance input for the Ghost was low back pressure.  A standard M-style baffle cone works well for catching gas, but can be horrible at directing it back to the chamber when the action opens.  The compressed-K baffle on the Ghost is awesome for back pressure and holding an ablative for a long time if you want to do that.  You'll really notice the lower backpressure when you forget to put on safety glasses with this can.  You don't get the same "holy-crap-I-just-got-blinded-by-flying-particulates" experience that you will with other cans.  This of course will depend heavily on each host weapon, but it's pretty dramatic if you look for it.  With a good lock-up weapon, you can actually shoot this wet without thoroughly coating yourself.  

People that are concerned about the aluminum module baffles should note that there's virtually no buildup in this area. It's just a simple layer of carbon that fills in some nooks and crannies and then the can works even better.  If you feel you need to clean them, they're hard coated 7075-T6 and they can take abuse.  

Todd Magee
Dead Air Engineering
View Quote
Cool bit of info. Glad I got a ghost. Also, doesn't the wipe increase a little bit of back pressure from what I've read? Any word on the way to cut the wipe to get even better results?
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 9:50:57 AM EDT
[#12]
I couldn’t decide so I have both the Obsidian and Ghost.   I reckon most folks would be quiet satisfied with either.

I’ve gotten to where I primarily use the Ghost w/ wipes for 9mm and the Obsidian for everything larger.  The reduction of blowback with the Ghost is quite impressive compared to a lot of other pistol cans. Even on Glocks it performs fairly well. I’ve been using the Ghost on a G22 with a conversion barrel with very good results. Even shooting nasty cheap 115gr supers there’s barely any blowback.  If I could only have one, I’d might lean towards the Ghost...maybe.

Haven’t compared them on the same host back to back, but both sound damn good.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 11:03:07 AM EDT
[#13]
I am going to go with the Ghost.

One year wait, here I come.  Oh well.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 12:49:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Cool bit of info. Glad I got a ghost. Also, doesn't the wipe increase a little bit of back pressure from what I've read? Any word on the way to cut the wipe to get even better results?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I really wish I could give guidance on wipe manufacturing, but I'm not really into getting our customers in trouble with the ATF.   We are working with local dealers to have some in stock so you can easily walk in and get them replaced.  You can also send it back to us and get a cool t-shirt.  

Quoted:
I am going to go with the Ghost.

One year wait, here I come.  Oh well.
If you use the barcode form, you could possibly have it by January-Feb.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 1:00:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I really wish I could give guidance on wipe manufacturing, but I'm not really into getting our customers in trouble with the ATF.   We are working with local dealers to have some in stock so you can easily walk in and get them replaced.  You can also send it back to us and get a cool t-shirt
View Quote
No, I meant I read somewhere that you could cut the front of the wipe a certain way to get even better sound suppression. To clarify, I wasn't referring to making your own.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 1:00:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I really wish I could give guidance on wipe manufacturing, but I'm not really into getting our customers in trouble with the ATF.   We are working with local dealers to have some in stock so you can easily walk in and get them replaced.  You can also send it back to us and get a cool t-shirt.  

If you use the barcode form, you could possibly have it by January-Feb.
View Quote
My local dealer in west TX has a LOT of Dead Air cans in stock so I am sure they can carry the wipes no problem.  They are only a mile from my house as well.

They do use the barcode forms and when I filed my Form 4 on my SR-15 CQB there last week they told me that same timeline (jan/feb) may be possible  but after the year long wait I just did my approach will be to assume the worst and try not to think about what I have waiting over there for me.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 1:12:36 PM EDT
[#17]
You’ll be very happy with your Ghost.  I’ve got one in addition to a bunch of other 45 cans (Osprey, 2 Octanes, Octane 45k, and a TiRANT-45s).  To my sensitive ears the only ones that are hearing safe with 45 is the Osprey and the Ghost.  With a wipe in the Ghost wins quite handily.  I haven’t shot 9mm through it much as I have dedicated 9mm cans (pair of TiRANT-9 cans) and they are very good depending on host.

You listed the Mk23 as one of your hosts.  It is probably my favorite.  Built from the ground up for can use.  My Osprey lives on the Mk23 and it makes me look like a better shooter than I am.  I love the Ghost on my USP Tactical as well.  Just a really fun and cool setup.

Link Posted: 10/13/2017 3:34:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I thought the wipe issue was addressed with a quick trip to amazon.com???
View Quote
It is.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 3:35:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I really wish I could give guidance on wipe manufacturing, but I'm not really into getting our customers in trouble with the ATF.  
View Quote
Better to ask forgiveness than beg for permission.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 10:16:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Obsidian

+  Less expensive
+  Takes SiCo pistons
+  All baffles 17-4
-   Aluminum Tubes

Ghost-M

+ Titanium tubes
-  Costs more

HK Mark 23
HK USP Tactical .45
HK USP Tactical 9mm
FNX Tactical .45
SIG P226 Combat 9mm
View Quote
9mm End Caps are available now at https://ruggedsuppressors.com/product/9mm-front-cap/, I believe Hansohn Brothers has them in stock as well.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 8:10:00 PM EDT
[#21]
I've been looking at reviews of these two suppressors and I'm leaning towards the Rugged due to the fact that all the baffles are SS and not some of them being aluminium. If the Ghost had a full SS stack I would go that route. I'm not against dead air as I have a mask in jail as we speak. I want to dip instead of scrub, lol.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 8:16:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I want to dip instead of scrub, lol.
View Quote
This is why I'm leaning towards the Obsidian as well for my first pistol can, also being able to toss them in the tumbler or US cleaner for ALL the baffles.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 10:56:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
This is why I'm leaning towards the Obsidian as well for my first pistol can, also being able to toss them in the tumbler or US cleaner for ALL the baffles.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I want to dip instead of scrub, lol.
I completely understand where your're coming from.  Let me share this with you:  In all my days at SiCo and also at Dead Air, we never received an Osprey, Octane, Trident, or Ghost back for service that had any buildup in those forward front baffles that would negatively affect performance.  Occasionally we saw some buildup in the blast chamber, but even then it didn't affect performance.  I've seen pictures of a Trident with the second chamber beginning to fill up.  It takes a special blend of tiny chambers (like the Trident), crappy ammo, high rate of fire, and enough ammo to feed a gun rental range to get anywhere near that.  And then you're only really talking about the blast chamber. The distal (front) baffles will only ever get a light buildup, which frankly, only helps with suppression.  The only reason they're even serviceable is to help keep people with obsessive compulsive cleaning disorders happy.  

On a side note, this is why the Ghost has a removable booster/blast chamber.  The whole thing comes out so you don't have to scrub down inside the can much at all.  The piston housing (or basket) can be thrown directly into the dip or a tumbler.  

Todd Magee
Chief OCD Janitor at Dead Air
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 5:59:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The only reason they're even serviceable is to help keep people with obsessive compulsive cleaning disorders happy.  

On a side note, this is why the Ghost has a removable booster/blast chamber.  The whole thing comes out so you don't have to scrub down inside the can much at all.  The piston housing (or basket) can be thrown directly into the dip or a tumbler.  

Todd Magee
Chief OCD Janitor at Dead Air
View Quote
Some people feel the need to service things that don't need serviced. Dirty cans perform better, so why all this fuss about cleaning every nook and cranny?
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 2:50:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 4:56:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 5:34:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 11:01:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Gonna be a loooong 11 months.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 7:18:45 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 8:16:34 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

The barcode ones are taking 6 months and dropping
View Quote
A friend's individual form 4 just arrived -5 months from mailbox to mailbox.
On the other hand, another friend with a trust form 4 is still waiting after 13 months.

I sent some trust 4's in June.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 11:15:22 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
People are telling me that but I am just going to keep on expecting 1 year.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 11:47:59 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

People are telling me that but I am just going to keep on expecting 1 year.
View Quote
Seems reasonable. My last one was 12 months to the day, Sep '16 - Sep '17. Have some Form 4s from November that are next in the queue.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 6:14:05 PM EDT
[#33]
I just picked up a can that was exactly 11 months.

I just put 3 more things in the queue and hope to see them sometime in the next 12 months.  This wait is for shit, it made me delay a bunch of NFA purchases but all that's done is make me wait even longer so now I am going to play catch-up.
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 12:00:39 PM EDT
[#34]
My next few NFA purchases, I am almost considering adding $200 to the total cost, and just going individiaul route first, then Form 4 again from myself as individual to my trust. Sort of a "have your cake and eat it too" move. $200 to save 7+ months of waiting, and get to retain posession...
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 9:32:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
Did they even have the barcodes in April?
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 12:51:51 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
My next few NFA purchases, I am almost considering adding $200 to the total cost, and just going individiaul route first, then Form 4 again from myself as individual to my trust. Sort of a "have your cake and eat it too" move. $200 to save 7+ months of waiting, and get to retain posession...
View Quote
Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers - The Waiting (Official Music Video)

RIP Tom Petty
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top