Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/19/2017 8:24:27 PM EDT
Never thought it would happen to me. Surefire 762rc on a noveske 21" 308. I have hundreds of rounds through this can on this barrel alone. I was doing load development with some 168 eld and at the end went back to my standby load of 175smk with Varget and LC brass. I noticed impact dust off to the right but didn't really think anything of it. Put my last 2 rounds in 1/2" and then went to my 1k yard plate and put a few rounds on it.

Didn't see the damage until I got home. Nothing was loose. All the holes are there for my load development rounds so I have to assume it was one of my 175smk. The last inch or so of baffles are mangled, end cap is mostly ok.

Waiting on word back from surefire for an RMA.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 9:11:56 PM EDT
[#1]
So everything was still tighter the end of the day?

What do you think caused it?

Have you ever checked your setup with an alignment rod to see exactly how centered everything is?
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 5:45:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Everything was right. Had to be some sort of ammo or bullet issue. I eyeballed it I'm sure but never an alignment rod.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 6:35:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I don’t mean to start shit but that’s why I only shoot Big name brass through my cans.

No steal, no reman, no hand loads.

Not saying that was the case or questioning your skills OP, but I try to cut out as many potential avenues of fuck up I can with my cans.

Maybe I’m wrong but I feel reloads are one of them. Of course I realize it can happen to any brand.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 8:13:14 PM EDT
[#4]
It likely was an ammo issue, very well my fault. Even if I had to buy another can I'm still money ahead over buying factory match ammo. I'm bummed, I'm not pissed, I'm not expecting it to be fixed for free.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 8:35:03 PM EDT
[#5]
This is why I always work up my loads without the can on and shoot at 25 yards to be sure the rounds are stabilized. That in itself is the reason I don't get excited about doing load development, I stick with proven loads until I get a new rifle or barrel.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 8:51:01 PM EDT
[#6]
That's the thing though. I'm pretty sure it was a round from my established load that had the strike.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 9:35:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Double tap
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 10:10:53 PM EDT
[#8]
These things happen

As long as the tube is good to go they should be able to fix that no problem
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 10:27:55 PM EDT
[#9]
If you shoot suppressed enough this will eventually happen. Surefire will fix it.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 10:30:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
These things happen

As long as the tube is good to go they should be able to fix that no problem
View Quote
Yea no apparent tube damage at all. I thought I read somewhere the surefire designed the baffles to be sacrificial.

It sucks but I'm chocking it up to "shit happens."
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 9:05:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yea no apparent tube damage at all. I thought I read somewhere the surefire designed the baffles to be sacrificial.

It sucks but I'm chocking it up to "shit happens."
View Quote
Did you notice a change in suppression looking back?
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 11:49:12 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm sorry it was with a surefire.  When we saw that two of our range cans had some strikes (all factory ammo, always), they wanted $600 to fix them.  

Silencerco replaced the body on a broken osprey during my two days off.  Free.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top