Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/18/2017 12:40:57 AM EDT
So I bought a Ruger American Ranch in 450 BM for deer and hogs, and I have a Hybrid pending. I need a mount and it looks like my options are either a Ti direct thread ordered from Big Waylon's machinist or using SiCos ASR .46 muzzle brake and the ASR mount from my Omega. Price is a wash, and so far I'm just using the Omega direct thread so I really don't care about the QD thing. I have no intention of shooting this gun without the Hybrid, but if I did I could put the factory muzzle brake back on.

So it seems the only advantage to the SiCo brake is recoil reduction (which would be welcomed) but does a muzzle brake like the SiCo, when used inside of a silencer, still reduce recoil any more than the same silencer mounted direct thread? If it doesn't then I would just as soon get a DT mount and keep things shorter, or possibly "spend" that extra length on a .46 Hybrid end cap brake to reduce recoil.
Thanks

Edit: edited the title and highlighted my main question here, which probably got lost in my rambling. Thanks for the input so far.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 7:43:28 AM EDT
[#1]
For me, I went with the ASR mounts so i can use the can on multiple guns.  I felt it was the easiest way to mount it.  I'm shooting the 450 from and AR platform.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 8:18:20 AM EDT
[#2]
For a hunting gun, carried a lot shot a little, go with the ti DT. Save the weight.  It will balance better too.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 8:34:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Price is a wash, ........
View Quote

Waylon's friend's mounts were $45 shipped I think, the asr adaptor and brake is almost $200.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 11:56:35 AM EDT
[#4]
I didn't know there was a Ruger American in 450 Bushmaster.  Hot damn.  Might get one.

I don't know who BW's friend is.  However, Morgan at Class III Machining did one of these mount enlargements recently as well, I think.  @easttxhunter
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 3:24:32 PM EDT
[#5]
I had Morgan recut a 1/2x28" direct thread mount to the 11/16 for my Ruger. Works great. I would have went with the TI direct thread mount if I had known about it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 4:27:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Waylon's friend's mounts were $45 shipped I think, the asr adaptor and brake is almost $200.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Price is a wash, ........

I think the machinists mounts are $70, about the same as SiCo's can be found at some places. I already have the ASR adapter (came with my Omega).
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 4:30:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
For a hunting gun, carried a lot shot a little, go with the ti DT. Save the weight.  It will balance better too.
View Quote
This is probably what I will do. I wouldn't mind the extra 5.5 oz as the gun is very light already, but I'd rather not add those ounces way out on the end, and of course DT is shorter. Only reason I would go with the muzzle brake / asr mount is if the brake provided significant recoil reduction?
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 4:41:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

This is probably what I will do. I wouldn't mind the extra 5.5 oz as the gun is very light already, but I'd rather not add those ounces way out on the end, and of course DT is shorter. Only reason I would go with the muzzle brake / asr mount is if the brake provided significant recoil reduction?
View Quote
A brake is never going to do much for a cartridge like 450BM.  A typical 450BM cartridge the propellant mass is only roughly 15% of the total mass ejected out of the muzzle.   The propellant is likely only ~20% of the total felt recoil.  So a perfect muzzle brake (redirecting all the gas) would reduce recoil by 20% but in reality with the relatively large bore diameter you will probably only realize about 10% reduction.  A large portion of the gasses are going out though the front of the break unless that break is fairly big.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 4:55:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
A brake is never going to do much for a cartridge like 450BM.  A typical 450BM cartridge the propellant mass is only roughly 15% of the total mass ejected out of the muzzle.   The propellant is likely only ~20% of the total felt recoil.  So a perfect muzzle brake (redirecting all the gas) would reduce recoil by 20% but in reality with the relatively large bore diameter you will probably only realize about 10% reduction.  A large portion of the gasses are going out though the front of the break unless that break is fairly big.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have zero experience with muzzle brakes, so you may very well be correct. But, then why did Ruger start adding a factory MB to the 450? Many people on 450BM.net seem to be adding MBs as well and report reduced recoil. Hardly any of them are shooting suppressed though, so I don't know what the result is there (brake + Silencer)?
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 5:13:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I have zero experience with muzzle brakes, so you may very well be correct. But, then why did Ruger start adding a factory MB to the 450? Many people on 450BM.net seem to be adding MBs as well and report reduced recoil. Hardly any of them are shooting suppressed though, so I don't know what the result is there (brake + Silencer)?
View Quote
I have a brake on my 450BM too.  I just didn't want you to think you were going to have a massive reduction in recoil.  Put a good break on something like a 300RUM and you will see a huge reduction in recoil but in this case the propellant is making up roughly 40% of the ejected mass and nearly half of the felt recoil.  But even 10-15% is noticeable.  A suppressor is going to help reduce recoil also.  All those baffle slow down how fast the gases leave the gun and that reduces recoil.  Not to mention the weight it adds.  Weight does not reduce recoil but more weight spread out the recoil impulse making it feel softer, more push and less sharp-jab.

ETA:  A brake inside a suppressor is going to reduce recoil less than the break in open air but the suppressor adds weight so that helps in a different way.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 5:28:45 PM EDT
[#11]
I shot a few rounds from my 77/44 through my hybrid at the dealer and it SEEMED to reduce recoil by about 25%. But some of that may have just been my perception, influenced by the much reduced muzzle blast. Either way, it was much nicer to shoot.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 8:56:31 PM EDT
[#12]
My hybrid with fixed barrel adapter significantly  reduces the recoil of max load 44 magnum,  but the gun is very lightweight so  The mass of the silencer helps a lot I'm sure.

Since the cost is nearly the same I would base your decision on whether you want the ASR mount for multiple rifles (and expense of a mount for every rifle).  

One other option is to have the ruger threaded to 5/8-24... The minor diameter of the ruger 11/16 threads is large enough to allow that.  It would cost a bit more than the Waylon mount but would eliminate having to buy an asr adaptor for every gun.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 9:01:19 AM EDT
[#13]
The suppressor is a far more effective muzzle brake than the screw on comp, so any difference would be minimal.

If you add the BWF (Big Waylon's Friend) titanium direct thread adapter, and ditch the ray gun fins for a flat front cap, you'll have the shortest, lightest Omega in the field.
Ever since I did this, I've never used the ASR mount.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 12:22:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The suppressor is a far more effective muzzle brake than the screw on comp, so any difference would be minimal.

If you add the BWF (Big Waylon's Friend) titanium direct thread adapter, and ditch the ray gun fins for a flat front cap, you'll have the shortest, lightest Omega in the field.
Ever since I did this, I've never used the ASR mount.
View Quote
That is exactly what I did with my Omega, and I think that is what I will do with my Hybrid as well. Thanks
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top