Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/17/2017 12:15:32 PM EDT
Just got back from the range with the my new Silencerco Omega, picked it up Friday, my first silencer.

ASR mount, .308 caliber, installed brake that came wth the suppresser.  

Tried it first on my Larue OBR in 762, completely changed the way the rifle shoots, for the better,  the recoil is straight back and with the Port Selector Technology on the OBR, switched to surpressed mode, still a a lot of blow back.  Since this is my first experience, I know they get hot, but damn after 5 rounds, 20 seconds between shots, this can was very hot.

Then removed the suppresser, ran into an issue and my questions:  when I loosened the locking collar and went to unscrew the suppresser, it was very hard (I did wait about 7 minutes after shooting before doing this) and when it did break loose, the ASR mount stayed and the outer shell unscrewed from the ASR.  I read about this happening.  I tightened the ASR good last night, as tight as I could get it while holding the suppresser with my hands.

Is this normal?  Any solutions? When installing the suppresser, just hand tight good enough or should you hunker down on it?

Switched to my 556 rifles, a Larue OBR and a LMT piston.  This was fun, especially on the piston gun.  But I did make the conclusion, the suppresser is at home on the 762.  Really worked well with that rifle.  

The 556s were fun, on the 762 it completes that system.

Thanks,

Link Posted: 9/17/2017 12:45:19 PM EDT
[#1]
The body unscrewing from the mount happens to me all the time when trying to remove the can. I don't think it can really be fixed, but you can avoid it but not gripping the body - just unlock the ASR and keep turning the ring to detach the can.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 2:20:52 PM EDT
[#2]
I use my omega with my 10.5 inch ar15, shooting .223.

I have also had the same issues, as far as the body unscrewing. I have tried cranking down on it, but seems that once it gets nice and hot, it loosens. Even my end cap backs off a bit.

I figure d that is what happens. I sometimes get the collar ring mount stuck, but usually letting the omega cool down a bit solves that.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 2:41:57 PM EDT
[#3]
If you mean the complete suppressor body unscrews from the ASR mount, that's pretty common, as mentioned above.  
Some Loc Tite will help, but won't hold up to a lot of heat.
Rockset will hold up to heat, but will be a major pain if you want to remove the ASR mount, and attempt to screw in another, such as the fixed mounts.

If you mean the thin titanium outer shell is unscrewing from the welded suppressor body, the thread bonding agent wasn't doing it's job.  
That is not common, but did happen to me.  
I sent it to SICO for a new glue job.  They also refinished it,  and returned it within the week.

Yes, you can do this regluing yourself, but will need to carefully clean the threads and reassemble, with the slim but possible risk of damaging the threads on the tube.
IF you screw that up,  remember that outer tube is the irreplaceable registered portion.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 3:17:05 PM EDT
[#4]
How much was the POI shift with the can?
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 6:02:50 PM EDT
[#5]
The ASR mount is unscrewing from the suppresser.  

What I was doing, I was turning the suppressor until it bottomed out and then cranked down some more, after reading the instruction manual, it says to screw the suppressor until it stops and then lock the ring.

Also, if I were to use some Rocksett, and don't ever intend to use the direct thread adaptor, is there ever any reason to remove the ASR mount?  Cleaning?  

As far as POI shift, since I was trying the suppresser out on four rifles, I was not really looking for accuracy.  I will say this, I was shooting all of the rifles at an 8" metal plate at 100 yards, I put a fresh coat of white paint before I started shooting, aiming for center, hitting center.  I also blasted some pieces of skeet clays, pieces as small as 3" and was hitting them with all four rifles.  

Next weekend I plan to do a 50 yard test, with and without the can. I can see getting a dedicated 556 can down the road.  The suppresser on the Larue 762 OBR was so nice, I mean it literally changed that rifle, I cant explain it.  The OBR has an A2 stock on it, there is something about shooting a rifle like this with the A2 stock, I really like it.  I do not have a scope for the OBR yet, it has an Aimpoint now, but looking at the 1- 8 Trijicon Accupower as an option.

I am going to order a 762 end cap and take the brake off, also going to order another set of tools, one for home and the other for the range bag.   Will also add an oven mitt to my range bag.  

Thanks,

Link Posted: 9/18/2017 4:45:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The body unscrewing from the mount happens to me all the time when trying to remove the can. I don't think it can really be fixed, but you can avoid it but not gripping the body - just unlock the ASR and keep turning the ring to detach the can.
View Quote
Same thing here, and this is what I do.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 8:16:57 PM EDT
[#7]
I called Silencerco this morning and talked to tech support and he said this is not uncommon.  Says carbon build up between the mount and adapter causes this.  

I asked about using Rocksett, he said would not harm but would limit if I need to replace the ARS.  

I guess my comment is you should not have to be concerned about your supressor coming apart like this when removing and transferring rifle to rifle.

Not sure if I like this.  I am seriously considering to use Rocksett on this thing, as I will never use the direct thread adaptor.

Link Posted: 9/18/2017 10:29:15 PM EDT
[#8]
I would suggest something like copper anti seize on the external threads of the muzzle device where the Omega threads on to the muzzle device. It has proven to be helpful with other ASR mount cans to help unscrew from the muzzle device after use.

Also, it has been posted here before by others, but would suggest not moving a hot Omega from the host you just used, to a new host, until the can cools. Hot can (and ASR mount) on cold muzzle device can make them almost seize together.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 3:59:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I would suggest something like copper anti seize on the external threads of the muzzle device where the Omega threads on to the muzzle device. It has proven to be helpful with other ASR mount cans to help unscrew from the muzzle device after use.

Also, it has been posted here before by others, but would suggest not moving a hot Omega from the host you just used, to a new host, until the can cools. Hot can (and ASR mount) on cold muzzle device can make them almost seize together.
View Quote
Good points...

What I was doing this past weekend was getting 8 months of waiting out of my system, wanted to try on all of my rifles, especially on the piston LMT and the Larue 7.62

What I am going to do is select one caliber to shoot it with that day and stick with that one....also, will be buying more supressors in the future.  

The Omega on the 7.62 is just outstanding.  

Thanks,

Link Posted: 9/19/2017 9:08:17 AM EDT
[#10]
I just add some lube to the threads on the mount once in a while. I make sure to grip the locking ring to unscrew the suppressor and have never had an issue. With that being said, this is a "sacrifice" one must make to have modular can.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 3:02:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I guess my comment is you should not have to be concerned about your supressor coming apart like this when removing and transferring rifle to rifle.
View Quote
That's life with a modular can.  If you don't want the can to come apart, buy a fully welded one piece can.  

When I remove my Omega, I only twist the locking ring, not the suppressor body.  Never had the two separate.  I love my Omega - light and sounds great.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 12:52:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The Omega on the 7.62 is just outstanding.  

Thanks,

View Quote
I've heard this before, that the Omega is great on a 308. I have an Omega but not a 308. Can you describe why/how it is better on 308 vs 556? Just curioius
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 1:35:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I've heard this before, that the Omega is great on a 308. I have an Omega but not a 308. Can you describe why/how it is better on 308 vs 556? Just curioius
View Quote
Neither the 556 or the 762 are big recoil rifles.  The 762 OBR with the fixed A2 stock, does have significant more recoil than the 556 and  with the A2 stock being longer than where I have the collapsible stocks on the 556 set and my style of bench shooting, the 762 recoil has always been up and the rifle bounces up and to the right, I have to reset on the bipod after each shot.  I know, I am not loading the bipod correctly and after 40 plus years of shooting I should have better techniques down, buy hey this is a hobby...

I am using the brake on the Omega and maybe this is it, but the recoil is smoother, much less bounce, more control and with the gas block set on suppressed this helps too.  All I hear is the recoil spring, it seems the supressor just completes the rifle, kind of hard to explain.  

You know when you see pictures of the big KAC rifle, A2 stock, optic and long can, you say to yourself, that goes together, that is the feeling I get, may be more psychological than anything.  So much so, that I am thinking of getting another Omega this week dedicated for 556 only, leaving this one for the 762, permanently.

Link Posted: 9/20/2017 1:40:51 AM EDT
[#14]
I use a bit of blue loctite on the mount.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 8:16:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Update

Much better trip to the range today.   I was able to tighten the ASR mount better and tried it on the 762 OBR only.  Installed by using the locking ring instead of the supressor itself.  

Shot the rifle, about 30 rounds down the barrel, BTW the change in POI was less than 1/4" at 100 yards.  More than likely me than the supressor.

Let the supressor cool, unlocked the ring and the suppressor came right off, no issues.  Used the knurled locking ring to remove

Link Posted: 9/24/2017 10:57:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Good to hear it's working for you. I take the hot ass can off the mounts so they don't cool and become seized with carbon/lead/copper. I always have gloves in the range bag and a silicon pan holder to lay the hot suppressor on.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 11:04:31 PM EDT
[#17]
The omega are bad about losing the last when new but let the thresds get dirty from shooting and it won't happen anymore. Atleastin my experience
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top