Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/14/2017 10:16:31 AM EDT
So I finally got my first suppressor after 9 months and it was a Sparrow for a Remington 597 AAC.  I was not impressed it was pretty damn loud.  Now let me say I have never owned  suppressor or even heard one until yesterday, so maybe my expectations are way off.  I tried subsonic it will not cycle.  I was thinking I would just hear the action and not the crack but I guess I was wrong.  My AAC M4 will be in today I wonder if I will be shocked at that volume as well.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 10:23:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
So I finally got my first suppressor after 9 months and it was a Sparrow for a Remington 597 AAC.  I was not impressed it was pretty damn loud.  Now let me say I have never owned  suppressor or even heard one until yesterday, so maybe my expectations are way off.  I tried subsonic it will not cycle.  I was thinking I would just hear the action and not the crack but I guess I was wrong.  My AAC M4 will be in today I wonder if I will be shocked at that volume as well.
View Quote

What ammo were you using and what subsonic ammo were you using? Did it sound better with subsonic ammo?

If you're using HV/bulk pack ammo, the supersonic crack is going to be loud - especially if you have a lot of reflective surfaces right around you. 
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 10:28:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Well, you do understand that alot of semi auto .22 weapons will not cycle subsonic ammo even while unsuppressed. Try standard velocity and shoot it wet, you should see a big difference in FRP and overall suppression performance with the subsequent shots.

Also, shoot it on a bolt gun host wet with subsonic and I guarantee you will be impressed with the suppression performance.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 10:29:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Try another host... I have the Spectre II and have shot with the Sparrow they both sound great on a 10/22 and have 0 cycling issues with subsonic ammunition.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 10:48:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Also, shoot it on a bolt gun host wet with subsonic and I guarantee you will be impressed with the suppression performance.
View Quote
This right here....   

Its tough to suppress a semi auto, because of the action noise (both the back pressure forced out with the ejected case, and the noise of the bolt slamming forward)

judge your suppressor on a bolt gun with subsonic....  you will be impressed.  

Also congrats, the sparrow is a sweet unit!
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 10:50:41 AM EDT
[#5]
-it's not a bolt gun, there's a chunk of steel clacking against another chunk of steel
-Supersonic crack will always be loud
-Fired from shade? The shade cover at the range makes things 2x louder (no joke)

It bet it's still hearing safe even with supersonic

But if your looking for soundless firing, time for a bolt 22 and subsonics
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 11:09:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks guys for the info. I was using CCI and cant remember what subs.  That is a good excuse to but a bolt .22 anyway.  I will try it wet this weekend.  its a fun gun for sure.  Just need it to quiet down a little.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 11:17:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
-it's not a bolt gun, there's a chunk of steel clacking against another chunk of steel
-Fired from shade? The shade cover at the range makes things 2x louder (no joke)

View Quote
Oh it was definitely hearing safe no doubt
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 11:21:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cool, yea for me that's plenty quiet then lol

I don't have any cans but my main concern is hearing safeness.

For your ninja soundless ghost-ops duties it sounds like youl be very impressed with a bolt 22.

Remember, there's also gas pressure coming out the chamber on a blowback 22
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 11:21:27 AM EDT
[#9]
autos will never be less loud than an action noise. Rip the CH back on an AR and let it fly, that's the best you'll get. Same with semi auto 22s. And thats if no gas escapes and the silencer reduces 100%, which it doesn't.

put it on a bolt gun, shoot sub sonics. sounds like a rock hitting dirt, which it pretty much is. Shoot agiula super quiet or primer only rounds and it's less loud than my red ryder until it hits steel. then that is the loudest noise involved. hilarious
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 11:22:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Take a good look at the Savage  MKII FVSR (28702) for your bolt gun host.

Nice rifles for the money.

I'm planning on picking up one next year to use my .45 silencer on.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 12:01:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
That looks awesome.  Thanks for the idea.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 12:20:43 PM EDT
[#12]
And this is why I tell people not to bother with 22. There is always “but you gottas”.

But you gotta use X ammo. But you gotta use X host. But you gotta be in an open area.

Lol. Bolt action 22?  Why don’t I just got back to 1780 and shoot muskets.

You guys and your 22 suppressed.....
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 12:23:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just bought the savage B22 FV SR in 22lr. A little nicer than the MkII
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 12:27:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
And this is why I tell people not to bother with 22. There is always “but you gottas”.

But you gotta use X ammo. But you gotta use X host. But you gotta be in an open area.

View Quote
What cans do you own?
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 12:29:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
What cans do you own?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What cans do you own?
Don't feed the troll, no point in derailing the thread.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 12:30:18 PM EDT
[#16]
It's not "Hollywood" quiet. I shoot my Sparrow on a Ruger MK III that I had threaded specifically for it. I has that "first" round pop but quiets down after there's gas in it. There are quieter.22 suppressors on the market now, I bought mine when it first came out. It's not the first Sparrow but the stainless version.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 12:39:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
.22 is my favorite caliber to shoot suppressed, the only one that's been "hearing safe" for me. No bolt actions needed (although I enjoy mine as well), my 4.5" AR SBR upper is my favorite, 25 rounds as fast as you can pull the trigger in a very compact and quiet package! Also with such a short barrel all ammo is subsonic.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 12:53:40 PM EDT
[#18]
CCI SV cycles in all of my .22lr's

I sold my Remington 597 to purchase an M&P 15-22 and did not regret it

Get a bolt gun.  No, seriously, do it.

Link Posted: 9/14/2017 1:22:55 PM EDT
[#19]
I love my sparrow on my Walther P22

Even on supersonic rounds the FRP isn't that bad...

Basically what I'm saying is man up.  You aren't going to get BB gun quiet unless you're running a bolt gun with subs.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 1:34:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

If a rifle length barrel and sparrow didn't sound good, the m42k will just piss you off
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 1:47:48 PM EDT
[#21]
The AAC M4 won't be hearing safe so don't expect it.  Especially if there are reflective surfaces around.
It'll knock 36 or so dB off the report, bring it down from "Fucking God Awful Loud" 165dB to "That's Pretty Loud" 130dB.
But it'll be muffled , the report seems a lot shorter in duration suppressed, and out in the open will be hearing safe (usually).
You'll still have the sonic crack of course.
Still worth it.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 10:14:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Get a .22 pistol with a barrel short enough to keep regular ammo subsonic.    You will get Hollywood quiet that way.    

Just about everything centerfire rifle that I shoot has a can on it.   They're all pretty loud, but it's a lot better than HOLY CRAP LOUD.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 10:52:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 11:24:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Wire pulling gel / hand sanitizer / water is your friend to help with that FRP.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 10:20:41 AM EDT
[#25]
my son's 597 w/dead air mask cycles fine with Gemtech subs, no problems at all.  it doesn't like aguila subs tho, i reserve those for my fv-sr.

when shooting his gun, there isn't much to it, the action cycling basically..  i use a brass catcher since i've been shooting a shit ton of .22 this summer, so i've eliminated the brass on the concrete noise too..

at 150 yds, there's a 3-6" drop between super & sub rounds out of that rifle, depending on the specific ammo used.. i just leave my scopes dialed in for subs

other shooters compare it to a pellet gun, without the gigantic spring..  they also comment how you can really hear the rounds impacting the backstop or steel

all this shooting being done from an area thats covered on top and 2 side (back and right) at the range.. so there's a lot of surfaces to reflect noise back.

this is also why my tavor and specwar 556 is not hearing safe in that environment...    open field? just marginally.. any kind of surfaces to reflect sound? absolutely not
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 12:22:26 PM EDT
[#26]
This is why I love my Savage MKII. It's movie quiet with CCI Quiet and VERY impressive with CCI SV. SV is my go to for all 22 suppressed.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 12:51:20 PM EDT
[#27]
You said that you have not heard a suppressor before. I think it is more of a case that your expectations were a bit skewed by movies, YouTube videos etc.
Nothing is ninja movie quiet. The things mentioned about action noise, bolt guns, etc are totally valid. I like cans on .22's even with supers because I can shoot without ears on. Also, when shooting in a valley or something, it does not sound like a warzone to freak other hikers etc. out. Have somebody else shoot your gun with and without the can on while you stand 25 years or so away and you will really hear the benefits.

And yes, your AAC M4 will bum you out. Rifle caliber cans are not quiet. But again, listen to somebody else shoot it from distance and you will hear the difference.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 1:49:06 PM EDT
[#28]
CCI Standard Velocity. Subsonic in everything I shoot it from. S&W M&P 22 compact, 22/45, 10/22, and RAR Target are all way quieter than a pellet gun. Hollywood quiet. Cans are AAC Element II, DA Mask, Spectre II, and Gemtech Mist. I too was nonplused with the report when using supersonic ammo, but CCI SV stays right below the cusp even though it isn't marketed as subsonic.

Biggest take away, you do have to use the right ammo to get the effect that you want (e.g., see 300 blk)
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 10:16:35 AM EDT
[#29]
CCI Standard Velocity's through my sparrow are pretty darn quiet through a bolt action.  I've got a 10/22 with a KIDD bolt buffer and it sounds like a quiet pneumatic nail gun.

-Kirby
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 1:56:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
I don't say this very often, but in your case I'll make an exception... with all due respect you have your head up your ass.

I've got nowhere the collection some guys have, but I'm in the double digits, and the .22 cans with subs are by far the quietest shooting guns you can shoot with what I own.

Probably won't get an answer, but what are you shooting that's quieter than a .22 suppressed using subs?
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 1:58:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
Don't mind telling the troll they have their head up their ass
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 4:09:07 PM EDT
[#32]
A brand new (or freshly cleaned) Sparrow can scare the pants off you and ring your ears if you're not ready for it.  The stamped half pipe pieces don't always seal against the core since they can be fairly crudely formed into shape at the factory.  It'll either fire-form into place or will fill up with crud after a while.  You could call it "pre-FRP".  Lolz.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 4:27:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
A brand new (or freshly cleaned) Sparrow can scare the pants off you and ring your ears if you're not ready for it.  The stamped half pipe pieces don't always seal against the core since they can be fairly crudely formed into shape at the factory.  It'll either fire-form into place or will fill up with crud after a while.  You could call it "pre-FRP".  Lolz.
View Quote
I know you know more about the production of the Sparrow than all of us here combined, thanks for the insight. My Sparrows (sample size of 3) all have nicely formed clamshells. I do coat them in ultra high-temp anti seize during re-assembly so I may unknowingly be mitigating the "pre-FRP" issue.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 4:57:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
and this is why I like my cans dirty
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 5:59:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
It's how I justify lazy cleaning habits
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 9:16:47 PM EDT
[#36]
CCI standard velocity is subsonic and relatively inexpensive.

That's my ammo of choice for my 10/22 w/Spectre II

Link Posted: 9/22/2017 2:21:01 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I love how suppressors reward lazy cleaning habits.  They're true little friends.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 2:23:23 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I know you know more about the production of the Sparrow than all of us here combined, thanks for the insight. My Sparrows (sample size of 3) all have nicely formed clamshells. I do coat them in ultra high-temp anti seize during re-assembly so I may unknowingly be mitigating the "pre-FRP" issue.
View Quote
Doing it right!  I also recommend the baked on silicone oil coating method.  Either one eventually gets all over me, but at least the silicone oil isn't so visible on my face.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 2:45:43 AM EDT
[#39]
S&W M&P 15-22 rifle with CCI Standard Velocity through a Sparrow is quieter than my kids' Red Ryder, and has only had one stoppage ever.

It is so quiet that I may or may not be able to dispatch varmints in my suburban subdivision and not have anyone call the cops... and I have old, crotchety folks living on both sides of me.  That's how quiet it is.

You're screwing up somewhere OP, fix it.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 3:22:55 AM EDT
[#40]
OP is fuckin up. The sparrow is my favorite can and I have many .22 cans, I wish they were all sparrows. It has a louder FRP than the Element II and way heavier than the Alpine, but once full of gas or a spritz of water it's as quiet as any of them.

I shoot it 3 times as much as my other .22 cans. It's all about them clamshells baby. Clean any k-baffle or monocore can then clean the sparrow. That is where she shines.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 8:02:29 AM EDT
[#41]
OP I would suggest selling the 597 and get a 10/22. The 597 doesn't have a very good track record. The 10/22 on the other hand is the Gold Standard in 22 rifles. They will also cycle most Subsonic ammo with no mods.

And anyone that says suppressed 22 is not worth it is a fool.

Me and the daughter shoot a good bit and the suppressed 22s rifles are the main go to.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 11:48:03 PM EDT
[#42]
Is it possible to clean a Sparrow without an ultrasonic cleaner? How do you guys do it?
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 12:26:28 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Is it possible to clean a Sparrow without an ultrasonic cleaner? How do you guys do it?
View Quote
The dip and a couple of q-tips, then back into fresh dip again. Don't dip the outside tube.
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 9:33:15 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote
Knock out the chunks and keep on shooting it. They are so much quieter when dirty and frp goes away. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 10:01:29 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 12:35:12 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote
@fullautohound
What suppressors do you own?

Joined 2017 with negative feedback already. Please log out and never log back in or stay in gd.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 1:13:55 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

@fullautohound

Joined 2017 with negative feedback already. Please log out and never log back in or stay in gd.
View Quote
looks like he commited to buy a SD-C trigger for $175 then on the same day cancelled payment and bought a G2S from another guy for $140. What a douch! I vote ban!
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 6:47:25 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
OP I would suggest selling the 597 and get a 10/22. The 597 doesn't have a very good track record. The 10/22 on the other hand is the Gold Standard in 22 rifles. They will also cycle most Subsonic ammo with no mods.

And anyone that says suppressed 22 is not worth it is a fool.

Me and the daughter shoot a good bit and the suppressed 22s rifles are the main go to.
View Quote
The 10/22 is awesome and some models come threaded from the factory (I have a take-down Charger; it's great).  

One .22 semi host I have heard is particularly quiet is the old Browning downward ejecting 22 (most are take-down capable too).

I have yet to try one.  However, a guy who owned one told me that his Browning 22 was quieter than has 10/22 because it directs the ejection port/ noise toward the ground.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 9:49:34 AM EDT
[#49]
OP needs to dirty that can up and a better (and more) host(s).

22 cans are the most frakking fun.  There's a reason most suppressor connoisseurs typically have a slew of them.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 10:42:32 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

@fullautohound

View Quote
Ahhhhh, poor babies get sooooo mad when someone has a different opinion than them.  “You have to like what I like.....waaaaaaa”.  Lol. Really, are you 18?  I think suppressing .22 is almost a complete waste. If you don’t like my opinion too bad. Obviously the OP found out it’s not it’s cracked up to be too and look at all of you trying to convince him otherwise. You all sound like a bunch of high schoolers.

I have a sig srd556ti qd and a Gemtech trek.  I actually suppress what I shoot the most. I didn’t start out with a .22 because I was smart enough not to listen to a bunch of guys who said I simply had to start out with a .22 for “reasons”
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top