Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2017 6:09:23 PM EDT
AMTAC Suppressors..does anyone have any experience with them? Specifically...I'm looking at their Fire Ant/.22lr model.

https://amtacsuppressors.com/suppressors/fire-ant-22-suppressor/

I like the sound of some of the features:

- Rated for .22lr through 5.7, with .22lr being full auto rating.

- All steel construction.

-Monocore, but the baffles are sleeved so the lead doesn't build up between the baffles and tube.

- No proprietary tool required for assembly or disassembly.

It's $450 (more than the Dead Air Mask). They have a "deal" running where if you buy any suppressor from them...they send you a $200 check to cover the tax stamp.

My question...is this a decent value, or is this a $250 suppressor that you're essentially prepaying for the tax stamp?

I'm just curious why there isn't much out there on their suppressors (ex. Nothing at all here), aside from their videos and a handful of reviews in big name/buy-a-review mags. Is this just because they're new (didn't start making suppressors till 2016) and they aren't well known?

I would appreciate any input you can offer. Thank you.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 7:41:53 AM EDT
[#1]
On the flip side...if you've never heard of them or never heard of anything beyond the promotional stuff floating around out there...I would appreciate that feedback, as well.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 8:58:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Haven't heard anything about them nor do any of my local dealers have any of their products for demo. This past year, dealers were having enough trouble moving stock from well-known manufacturers.

On paper, it seems like a good suppressor (17-4PH monocore, sleeved core, etc.) but I haven't seen any discussion on FRP and how much there is.

Finally, consider what a transfer dealer would charge and add it to the cost of the suppressor - the going rate in my area is $75-100 for a NFA transfer which means the $250 suppressor is now $325-$350 which closes the gap between this suppressor and well regarded suppressors purchased from Silencer Shop that have the transfer fees built into the price ($370-$400)
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 9:38:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Haven't heard anything about them nor do any of my local dealers have any of their products for demo. This past year, dealers were having enough trouble moving stock from well-known manufacturers.

On paper, it seems like a good suppressor (17-4PH monocore, sleeved core, etc.) but I haven't seen any discussion on FRP and how much there is.

Finally, consider what a transfer dealer would charge and add it to the cost of the suppressor - the going rate in my area is $75-100 for a NFA transfer which means the $250 suppressor is now $325-$350 which closes the gap between this suppressor and well regarded suppressors purchased from Silencer Shop that have the transfer fees built into the price ($370-$400)
View Quote
I watched/listened to videos/audio of this used with a few different guns (handgun and long gun).  There appears to be little or no FRP.  

For my dealer, it's $50 to do the transfer for this. You're right on with the total cost concern...that's what gets me. I would be at $500 for this (suppressor, tax stamp, and transfer included).  My dealer carries the Dead Air Mask. I'd be out the door for $600 with that (suppressor and tax stamp).  That's pretty close between an unknown and what seems to be regarded as the industry standard.

I may just give my dealer a call and stop to see what else he has in stock.  I don't want a piece of crap, but I really don't want to pay $600 to suppress a .22lr.  If we were talking $600 for a 9mm or .45 ACP...I might be less hesitant.  Then again...this is definitely one of those "you've got to pay to play" things.

I was hoping to hear from a forum veteran.  Thank you for your feedback.  
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 9:45:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I watched/listened to videos/audio of this used with a few different guns (handgun and long gun).  There appears to be little or no FRP.
View Quote

I wouldn't expect much (if any discernible) FRP out of a long gun host. But I'm always skeptical of "little to no" FRP claims with a monocore and pistol hosts.

Anecdotally, I got "burned" on one of my recent rimfire suppressor purchases that was touted as an improved design that mitigated FRP. Well, it was still there and the ultimate proof was when I handed it and a 22/45 Lite to an absolute newbie and his first question after "Wow, that's quiet!" was "Why was the first shot louder than the rest?"
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 10:24:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I wouldn't expect much (if any discernible) FRP out of a long gun host. But I'm always skeptical of "little to no" FRP claims with a monocore and pistol hosts.

Anecdotally, I got "burned" on one of my recent rimfire suppressor purchases that was touted as an improved design that mitigated FRP. Well, it was still there and the ultimate proof was when I handed it and a 22/45 Lite to an absolute newbie and his first question after "Wow, that's quiet!" was "Why was the first shot louder than the rest?"
View Quote
That's one concern for me.  The only .22 I have that's currently setup to accept a suppressor is a handgun (a 1911-22).  I will definitely get one of my rifle barrels threaded at some point, but in the short term...whichever can I get will be exclusively used on a handgun.

Thank you for helping me bounce some ideas around.  If this one was cheaper, I would be game to give it a try.  I just can't see spending $500 on a complete unknown when I can get a known entity for $600 or less.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 7:29:31 AM EDT
[#6]
I talked to my FFL person. At some point in the next few days, I'll drop by and check out the Dead Air Mask, Rugged Oculus, and SilencerCo Spectre II.  Those were what he recommended, they seem to be regarded well, and they meet all of my requirements.  Well...with the exception of the "no proprietary tools" thing for the Dead Air Mask and Rugged Oculus.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 8:59:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I talked to my FFL person. At some point in the next few days, I'll drop by and check out the Dead Air Mask, Rugged Oculus, and SilencerCo Spectre II.  Those were what he recommended, they seem to be regarded well, and they meet all of my requirements.  Well...with the exception of the "no proprietary tools" thing for the Dead Air Mask and Rugged Oculus.
View Quote

Technically the Spectre II also has a proprietary tool for disassembly/reassembly. It's basically a piece of flat bar stock with two notches on one side, one of which engages the splines on the rear endcap (the other notch works with the Warlock) and the other side of the bar engages the features on the front endcap.

All solid recommendations by your dealer. The Spectre is a great can - the CTA baffles work well to seal fouling from the tube. But the baffles do not have indexing features so you have to align the baffles visually. It's also on the longer side when compared to the two others. The Mask also sounds great to me. The baffles are indexed to make alignment easy. The stack doesn't seem to seal quite as well and I do see more fouling on the tube/outside of the baffles when compared with the Spectre. It's also the shortest of the three (when you consider the Oculus in full configuration). No comments on the Oculus other than mine is still in jail.

Bring some CCI Standard Velocity with you to test out the suppressors (if he's doing a demo for you).
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 1:13:09 PM EDT
[#8]
I always heard that they were a division of Cobra Pistols.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 4:50:48 PM EDT
[#9]
After getting to disassemble and assemble the Mask, Oculus, and Spectre II...I went with the Dead Air Mask.

I liked the Oculus, but for a first/only can...I think I will be happier with the Mask. I don't currently have a rifle with a threaded barrel, so the modular feature of the Oculus would be lost on me for the time being. Whenever I get around to getting a rifle with a threaded barrel...I think I'd get an Oculus and leave it in the short configuration.

I had to order one, as he just sold his last Mask. It might take a minute for the "it feels like my wallet just got ganstered" feeling to subside, lol. Anyways...looking forward to finalizing the process. Thank you for the advice.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 2:24:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I always heard that they were a division of Cobra Pistols.
View Quote
Kodiak used to do some distribution for us, and they also did distribution for Cobra. As a result, our suppressors ended up in the same booth as Cobra pistols at a couple of trade shows. Other than that, we aren't associated in any way.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top