Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/9/2017 2:34:47 PM EDT
I have two questions for the geniuses here.  I'm looking at my first rimfire suppressor.  I don't want something junky, but I'm not made out of money either.  I'm looking for that middle of the road, most bang for buck product I can find.  I was perusing Silencer Shop's website and came across the Spike's Tactical Buckwheat.  It seems like it might fit the description.  It can be disassembled for cleaning by the user, and Spikes has a good reputation at least with their ARs.  First question, anyone have one of these and is it worth it, or should I look elsewhere?

Second, assuming the Buckwheat is a decent suppressor that I'd actually want to spend my money on, has anyone used the Gemtech universal 4 lug QDA system with it?  I'm asking because I want to know how well that system works in general, and does it work with the Buckwheat in particular?
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 2:37:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I have two questions for the geniuses here.  I'm looking at my first rimfire suppressor.  I don't want something junky, but I'm not made out of money either.  I'm looking for that middle of the road, most bang for buck product I can find.  I was perusing Silencer Shop's website and came across the Spike's Tactical Buckwheat.  It seems like it might fit the description.  It can be disassembled for cleaning by the user, and Spikes has a good reputation at least with their ARs.  First question, anyone have one of these and is it worth it, or should I look elsewhere?

Second, assuming the Buckwheat is a decent suppressor that I'd actually want to spend my money on, has anyone used the Gemtech universal 4 lug QDA system with it?  I'm asking because I want to know how well that system works in general, and does it work with the Buckwheat in particular?
View Quote

Hands down for the money Thunderbeast Takedown .22 it is currently one of the best performing cans on the market. I have almost 2000k rounds through mine and it is amazing! Here is an article recoil did.http://www.recoilweb.com/recoil-rated-10-rimfire-cans-128171.html
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 3:39:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I would never use a QD of any type again. They foul too easy and cost to much.

I use direct attach and light.

For a 22 can I think its worth it to spend a little more and get a better made can vs just a "okay" can.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 5:00:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For a 22 can I think its worth it to spend a little more and get a better made can vs just a "okay" can.
View Quote
This. I own a Dead Air Mask and am more than happy with it. Spend a little more and get a top tier can.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 5:19:43 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a 5.56 suppressor that I use for 22, and I still want a 22 suppressor just because they can be so small and light. Pay attention to size and weight is my point, especially if you want to shoot from a pistol. I would prefer one that could be either a mini suppressor or full size.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 5:41:09 PM EDT
[#5]
I got a Griffin Checkmate QD in 2008, #43. Until last year it was QD.  The only reason I changed it is that one of the hosts is a pocket pistol and I got tired of taking the 3 lug off. I run it on a 226 .22 conversion and a Beretta 21 .22.  It's a great little can, slim profile, monocore desgn and simple to service.  At the time they sold for $250 or so. It's all Aluminum so no 5.7 or anything exotic, but I got it specifically for a Sig Mosquito and it filled the role perfect.  There are more durable options on the market and maybe quieter ones too, but for $250 in 2008 dollars I am more than happy with the unit.  It's pretty light too.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 5:44:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Whatever you do just make sure you can take it apart for cleaning. Rimfire uses some dirty gun powder. 
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 5:51:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Right now I am looking at a Mack Brothers Vapor
or the Dead Air Mask
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 6:06:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I would never use a QD of any type again. They foul too easy and cost to much.

I use direct attach and light.

View Quote
The only reason I'm interested in QD is they don't appear to have any way to walk off and cause a baffle strike. How do you keep yours from doing that?

As for better made...about where is the maximum return for your money at?
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 7:20:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The only reason I'm interested in QD is they don't appear to have any way to walk off and cause a baffle strike. How do you keep yours from doing that?

As for better made...about where is the maximum return for your money at?
View Quote
Look at the FRP (First Round Pop) for 22 can performance, most quality 22 cans are around the same dB, but the lack of first round pop is what I look at.

Spend the extra money for a quality can.  
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 8:45:19 PM EDT
[#10]
AAC Aviator 2 isn't that much higher in cost and it seems to have very good performance irrespective of price.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 10:01:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Hands down for the money Thunderbeast Takedown .22 it is currently one of the best performing cans on the market. I have almost 2000k rounds through mine and it is amazing! Here is an article recoil did.http://www.recoilweb.com/recoil-rated-10-rimfire-cans-128171.html
View Quote
The TB 22 takedown is a great can, I just shot one the other day and ordered one the following day. I don't have any rimfire cans at the moment but I bought a Rugged Oculus within the first month they came out. I mainly bought it because I like the fact I can shoot it short on a rifle if I'm worried about length. Also frp is minimal or non existent on rifles from the reviews I read.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 11:35:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
The Gemtech adapter 'direct threads' into the suppressor. What makes you think that 1/2x28 connection will stay tighter than the 1/2x28 connection you are trying to avoid? Also, don't forget about the additional 1/2x28 connection added due to the 4-lug mount. The reality is a quick check after a mag or two is all that's needed. Mine (5 rimfire) stay tight with almost no input needed from me. I am going to really test their tightness when doing 40 round mag dumps after my MG gets approved, that may be a case for additional methods of retention.

Can Recommendation: For your first get something that is robust and easy to disassemble and clean. Stick with stainless steel and/or titanium build materials. Mask, Oculus, Takedown 22, Sparrow, Spectre II are all good options. Good luck and have fun deciding!
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 12:23:51 AM EDT
[#13]
I eventually want a 22 suppressor as well and have looked at the mask and oculus but leaned more towards the oculus for the fact that it's modular. Now that the aac halcyon is out, I'd consider that esp w the 3 lug offering. If you are in the market right now, also consider the Ruger 22 suppressor. I wasn't considering it but one of the distributors is having an amazing deal on them and you should be able to find them fairly cheap. My shop is selling them for $245 for non employees which is damn good. It is investment cast stainless baffles however I think it wouldn't be a huge issue for 22lr and it's rated up to 22wmr, something to consider if you find a good deal.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 6:40:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Did I miss your intended use and budget?  Those details would help customize answers.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 9:41:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Whatever you do just make sure you can take it apart for cleaning. Rimfire uses some dirty gun powder. 
View Quote
Yes.
And, make sure it doesn't have aluminum parts, so you actually can clean it with the popular methods.

The difference between the mid priced and top of the line RF cans is just not that much, especially when compared to the wide range of centerfire can prices.
If your current budget only allows the economy $100 specials or Form 1 flashlights, then that's what you could end up with.
Add this to all the above who recommend a quality lifetime can.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 9:47:21 AM EDT
[#16]
I have two HTA rim fire cans that I had recored with stainless baffles, a Sig rim fire, and finally just got my Ruger.

Stainless baffles are important, I throw them in my wet tumbler.

The ruger seems to have less FRP, other than that they all sound about the same, to me.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 9:57:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 2:04:43 PM EDT
[#18]
My requirements when I bought mine were

User serviceable

Stainless baffles sealed from outer tube

Not a monocore- they usually have more first round pop

Not aluminum threaded end - less wear swapping hosts

I went in planning to get a spectre 2 or a thunderbeast takedown. I ended up buying a huntertown arms kestrel 22. It was a discontinued model they had in stock for $250 vs ordering and waiting to spend $425. I am happy with it, but wonder how it compares with better cans. It met all my needs and I got to hear it at the store. It's heavy at 8oz, but it isn't too bad on my rifles or my pistol.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 5:03:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

The Gemtech adapter 'direct threads' into the suppressor. What makes you think that 1/2x28 connection will stay tighter than the 1/2x28 connection you are trying to avoid? Also, don't forget about the additional 1/2x28 connection added due to the 4-lug mount. The reality is a quick check after a mag or two is all that's needed. Mine (5 rimfire) stay tight with almost no input needed from me. I am going to really test their tightness when doing 40 round mag dumps after my MG gets approved, that may be a case for additional methods of retention.

Can Recommendation: For your first get something that is robust and easy to disassemble and clean. Stick with stainless steel and/or titanium build materials. Mask, Oculus, Takedown 22, Sparrow, Spectre II are all good options. Good luck and have fun deciding!
View Quote
I'm trying to avoid having to do a check after every mag. That's the point. I want to enjoy shooting without having to fuss over the damn thing every mag or two.  I'm not married to the idea of QD if there is some other method that doesn't involve constant babysitting.

As for the adapter, I could use low strength thread locked or thread sealant to ensure it stays put if I needed to. More practical to use it there than with direct thread.

Is there a 22 can that comes configured for QD without use of an adapter?
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 5:27:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 5:37:40 PM EDT
[#21]
AAC Element II
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 5:44:16 PM EDT
[#22]
I have a warlock 2 and a tactical solutions Axiom.

The warlock is light and aluminum and works great on pistols. It currently is on my 10/22 and rides around in my truck on squirrel duty. I shoot it probably 10-20 rounds a day on average have had over 100 shot days this summer too. Can has never came loose and it literally beats around behind the seat of my truck or on my 4 wheeler changing water.

The axiom is solid titanium so it weighs twice as much as the warlock (6 oz vrs 3 oz). It's a great can, easy to clean, robust, and performs really well. I use it on .22 mag a lot as well as a few k rounds through my sbr in .22lr.  It wasn't that much money and I think they go for under $300 now.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 7:00:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I'm trying to avoid having to do a check after every mag. That's the point. I want to enjoy shooting without having to fuss over the damn thing every mag or two.  I'm not married to the idea of QD if there is some other method that doesn't involve constant babysitting.

As for the adapter, I could use low strength thread locked or thread sealant to ensure it stays put if I needed to. More practical to use it there than with direct thread.

Is there a 22 can that comes configured for QD without use of an adapter?
View Quote
Typically after a mag or two the exposed barrel threads inside the suppressor will foul up a bit and keep the can from unscrewing under fire. I don't experience a constant need to tighten the can throughout a shooting session.

As for factory made QD cans I believe your options are the Griffin Checkmate QD and the AAC Halcyon with the soon to be released integral/removeable mount. The Halcyon would be my choice as you can swap it back to direct thread as needed. It is going to be the most versatile rimfire can.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 8:52:34 AM EDT
[#24]
I love my AAC Element2, not a single thing I don't like about it ... I put it on everything, including my .17HMR

Link Posted: 9/12/2017 6:06:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 6:39:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The AAC Element2 is a great can as well as the new Halcyon but they are not entry-mid level. For the cost of a 2-3 boxes of good rifle ammunition you can get into some higher performing silencers
View Quote
Boxes or cases?
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 7:51:31 PM EDT
[#27]
My Personal Opinion  I should be able to get The Stamps any day now.

(Yeah, right.)
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 6:57:45 AM EDT
[#28]
Factoring in the tax stamp and the wait you need to consider the saying... Buy once cry once. 22 suppressors are the least costly cans of any caliber and if the right one is $75-$100 more then it's worth a little more coin.

If you are certain you want QD then the Halcyon is the way to go. By the time it's approved the 3 lug mount will be available.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 10:40:19 AM EDT
[#29]
In no particular order, these are the ones to look at:
Silencero Spectre II, Ruger Silent-SR, Dead Air Mask, AAC Halcyon, Thunderbeast 22
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 11:58:14 AM EDT
[#30]
I don't see too much recommendations for the Rugged Oculus in here.  Is there not enough in the wild yet?  Is the competition just a step ahead?
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 2:13:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Dead Air Mask

I have a couple others, but it's the only one I would buy a second of so far.  

Quoted:
I don't see too much recommendations for the Rugged Oculus in here.  Is there not enough in the wild yet?  Is the competition just a step ahead?
View Quote
That would be my guess. I should have mine before too long.  I can't wait to see how the Oculus compares to the Mask.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 2:59:05 PM EDT
[#32]
In other threads I've seen only recommendations for the Oculus and none for the Halcyon. I think it just depends on the thread.

I couldn't decide between them and Hansohn had great deals on both at different times this summer, so I have both Oculus and Halcyon waiting on paperwork.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 3:26:50 PM EDT
[#33]
If you want a modular 22 suppressor I would go with the Oculus. I have yet seen anyone anywhere do a video on the Halcyon. Not saying its bad but their is actual feed back that the Oculus is awesome. I have heard Jake at QRF say it may be slightly better than the Mask. And the Mask I think is the new gold standard, upsetting the long standing Element 2.

As for the QD you can just buy the Gemtech QD adapter and make any can a QD can.

And I understand your concern for it coming lose but its a small issue that you are kinda blowing out of proportion. I have shot my 2 rimfire cans 1000 of times and only have had it come kinda loose once. And its not that big of a issue to reach up and check the snugness.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 1:18:40 AM EDT
[#34]
You're going to want stainless steel baffles, and the ability to disassemble without fouling making it hard to take the baffles out.   That usually means a monocore with split interior sleeve (like the Sparrow, if I recall) or click-together baffles (Spectre, Occulus, etc).

If I was buying a .22 can now, I'd get an Occulus by a mile - not so much for the performance (which is fine), but for the modularity.   Modular cans are a gimmick until you put your non-modular can on a host that's smaller than the can.

Teflon tape will keep your can from shooting loose, no problem.

If you have to go sell blood or eat ramen or something to scrape up an extra $100, DO IT.    This is not a purchase to settle on.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 1:06:03 PM EDT
[#35]
If you are not going to become a full on suppressor dork (buying variations of a type of can to fill various niches or because you are into the tech), then I would like to point out that with the hassle and expense of obtaining a can makes it a buy once type of thing. This being the case, I would like to point out that what you are really buying is a tiny piece of stock in the maker of the can. None of us can predict the future, but I would want to stick with a company that has been around and has the better chance of staying around. Many companies have popped up over the past 5 years or so as the 'commercial silencer boom' happened. There is a glut in the market and there is no way all these players will survive. They might make a fine product but if they go out of business and you need your can serviced, rebuilt, etc. it is a tougher thing to do when you need to find another company that is willing to work on a can that they did not make.

Most .22 cans by the top tier makers are very similar in quality to where you would be hard pressed to tell the difference unless shooting back to back to directly compare. Do your research and go with a quality can from a company that has a history and a good chance of surviving the market fluctuations.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 11:47:11 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
If you are not going to become a full on suppressor dork (buying variations of a type of can to fill various niches or because you are into the tech), then I would like to point out that with the hassle and expense of obtaining a can makes it a buy once type of thing. This being the case, I would like to point out that what you are really buying is a tiny piece of stock in the maker of the can. None of us can predict the future, but I would want to stick with a company that has been around and has the better chance of staying around. Many companies have popped up over the past 5 years or so as the 'commercial silencer boom' happened. There is a glut in the market and there is no way all these players will survive. They might make a fine product but if they go out of business and you need your can serviced, rebuilt, etc. it is a tougher thing to do when you need to find another company that is willing to work on a can that they did not make.

Most .22 cans by the top tier makers are very similar in quality to where you would be hard pressed to tell the difference unless shooting back to back to directly compare. Do your research and go with a quality can from a company that has a history and a good chance of surviving the market fluctuations.
View Quote
Good advice.

Bought a Warlock then a Mask.  Both great.  I swear the Warlock is a tad quieter than the Mask especially on my Buckmark.  Agree you need to go quality considering the hassle.  The difference between the two cans is negligible.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 6:32:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I have two HTA rim fire cans that I had recored with stainless baffles, a Sig rim fire, and finally just got my Ruger.

Stainless baffles are important, I throw them in my wet tumbler.

The ruger seems to have less FRP, other than that they all sound about the same, to me.
View Quote
I have a huntertown arms guardian 22 that I've been really happy with. Stainless baffles are the way to go also. Wet tumbler for the win!

ETA: I payed $180 for the stainless HTA. With the stamp it's was cheaper than most big name cans.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 10:44:39 PM EDT
[#38]
You can get a mask for ~$340 from http://www.gamaliel.com/silencers/Silencer_Promos.asp after 15% off with code "QUIET15".
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top