User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 11:27:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I ordered a Sandman K last week from the Capitol Armory. I'll post a review once I receive my Arsenal 104UR Krink back from Rifle Dynamics in a few weeks.
View Quote
Ya, my thoughts are it would be sweet on an AK. Low blowback, short
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 12:33:28 PM EDT
[#2]
I ordered a Sandman K today that will be placed on 7.62 12.5" SBR.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 4:06:05 PM EDT
[#3]
I ordered mine on June 16th. I wanted a short, light, low-backpressure, QD, multi-cal, hard-use suppressor. Dead Air hit the nail on the head there.

I'm pleased to see that it's hearing safe with .300BLK subsonic, and I think it will sound better than the decibel ratings would lead you to believe across the board. It will definitely take some of the edge off should it need to be used without PPE in a defensive situation, hunting, etc. Certainly better than nothing. As a guy who has hunted with an unsuppressed 16" .308 for many years, believe me when I say that I will be thrilled with mid-140s out of a bolt gun.

For a working gun where maneuverability trumps suppression, I don't think there's a better choice currently.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 4:51:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I need someone to make my mind up if I want this or not. I do, but is it worth $775 including stamp. Sounds like it's fo time
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 5:28:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I need someone to make my mind up if I want this or not. I do, but is it worth $775 including stamp. Sounds like it's fo time
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 5:47:59 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't think I'm going to fo. I want it, but financially it's not a good idea right now. I think it's a cunt hair impulsive for me, and I won't lie... I put in an impulse order from sgammo and cabelas yesterday and wasn't planning on that few hundred bucks.

I hope they all suck and are loud because I'm going to regret the shit out of it when the price goes up to $800 plus stamp
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 7:07:18 PM EDT
[#7]

I hope they all suck and are loud because I'm going to regret the shit out of it when the price goes up to $800 plus stamp
View Quote
JMO, I think interest in the K line will die down once the price goes up
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 7:57:04 PM EDT
[#8]
I agree, but time will tell. I have a SiCo hybrid I run on the DA key-mo, so want to stick to dead air from here on out. Here's to holding out hope black Friday brings sweet silencershop da specials
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 8:50:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I want one but can't justify it compared to my Sandman-S

I have my S on a 12" AK

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/184182/image1-300505.JPG
View Quote
@ bradpierson26

How is the AK suppressed, hearing safe? I'm trying to convince myself I need a suppressor for my M92 Pap
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 10:09:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

@ bradpierson26

How is the AK suppressed, hearing safe? I'm trying to convince myself I need a suppressor for my M92 Pap
View Quote
Not even close but it's a lot nicer now
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 8:17:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

JMO, I think interest in the K line will die down once the price goes up
View Quote
If DA would make a module attachment that allows it to be configured as either a K & 7" or 9", I'll buy it even if it's north of $1000 + stamp.
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 1:43:14 PM EDT
[#12]
So would the sandman K be good at home on a 8.2” 300 blackout rifle? I’m torn between the SM-K, SM-S, or the rugged razor. I don’t know which would be better and would like to hear opinions.
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 2:06:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
So would the sandman K be good at home on a 8.2” 300 blackout rifle? I’m torn between the SM-K, SM-S, or the rugged razor. I don’t know which would be better and would like to hear opinions.
View Quote
Shortest package shooting supers for HD? Maybe

Shooting subs to actually utilize the quiet nature of 300blk? I'd buy a big fat can like Sig or Q
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 2:11:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
Sandman S or Razor all the way between those options. Just look at the dB numbers. All of them are short.
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 3:03:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Shortest package shooting supers for HD? Maybe

Shooting subs to actually utilize the quiet nature of 300blk? I'd buy a big fat can like Sig or Q
View Quote
It’s going to be both. I don’t really care about length or weight but shorter and lighter are always better.

I had looked at the Q cans but something drew me back to rugged and dead air. Which Q can specifically are you talking about? Their special on SS ends tomorrow so I want to figure this out now...
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 3:37:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
HD gun? Absolutely. If size isn't your top consideration one of the other options would probably be better. Just depends where you want to be on the sliding scale between small size and suppression.

The "short" Q 7.62 suppressors are the Trash Panda (Q's QD system) and the Half Nelson (direct thread). I couldn't find any numbers on their performance.
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 3:47:07 PM EDT
[#17]
I wish those 300 blackout numbers were on a typical 8" barreled AR15.  Though the numbers posted are similar to Octane 45 HD numbers and a lot shorter.
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 9:00:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Screw it, I fo’d.  Looks like I might key-mo my Saker K.
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 9:59:11 AM EDT
[#19]
I may have gotten the last one from capitol last night.  OOS now.
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 10:33:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Screw it, I fo’d.  Looks like I might key-mo my Saker K.
View Quote
I switched both my Sakers to Keymo. It just made sense with the K on the way and not wanting to use ASR.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 7:13:58 AM EDT
[#21]
DeadAir Sandman S vs K 5.56/223 comparison
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 7:54:03 AM EDT
[#22]
We fired the Sandman S and K this weekend.  

It was on a Sig 7.62.  

Both dropped the sound by about 40 DB.  

We would have fired on a 5.56 but they sent the wrong adapter for the rifle.  

Sig uses different adapter threads for the 5.56 and 7.62 rifles.

Standing beside the rifle, you could hear the clang at 100 off the steel target louder then the report.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 12:09:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

It was on a Sig 7.62.  

Standing beside the rifle, you could hear the clang at 100 off the steel target louder then the report.
View Quote
40DB?? Maybe 25-30
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 1:44:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
40DB?? Maybe 25-30
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was on a Sig 7.62.  

40DB?? Maybe 25-30

Where's Jesse James and SAS?

SilencerShop metered a Remington 700 at 166.8 dB and Capitol metered the Remington 700 with Sandman K at 146.5 dB.

Somehow the truth of "20.3 dB reduction" doesn't sound as good as off-the-cuff BS numbers like 40 dB. Or even 30 dB, which, by the way, would be fantastic performance and would cause me to buy a Sandman K today. No...20 dB.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 2:02:04 PM EDT
[#25]
From the video, while shooting the first rifle, it appears that the K really does cut back on gas to the face/blowback. I think we figured it would, but nice to see some video evidence.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 2:03:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

It was on a Sig 7.62.  

View Quote
Did you mean "dropped it TO 140db"?
Even that would be impressive
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 9:35:11 AM EDT
[#27]
I ordered a Sandman-K in mid July and my LGS still hasn't received it yet...so my Form 4 hasn't been submitted either. Theres 3 months wasted. REPEAL THE NFA!!!
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 2:37:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I ordered a Sandman-K in mid July and my LGS still hasn't received it yet...so my Form 4 hasn't been submitted either. Theres 3 months wasted. REPEAL THE NFA!!!
View Quote
Did your LGS put the order in direct to Dead Air?  DSG Arms and Silencer Shop had it in stock last I checked a couple weeks ago.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 4:14:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Did your LGS put the order in direct to Dead Air?  DSG Arms and Silencer Shop had it in stock last I checked a couple weeks ago.
View Quote
Does Dead Air do direct sales? My SOT had to use a distributor.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 5:51:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Does Dead Air do direct sales? My SOT had to use a distributor.
View Quote
I know several people still waiting on a serial # from their distributors.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 5:58:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote
Ouch, mine was Form 3 cleared and delivered in my dealers hand within a week of purchasing.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 7:25:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 8:34:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
I don't know but I assume they use Silencershop since they have one of the kiosk things in the shop and I created an account that day using it. Since July Ive contacted (both in person and via messenger) the LGS and they have said it should be in "any day now" every time.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 9:28:44 AM EDT
[#34]
I’m seriously contemplating one for a 7.5” SBR. It wont be much heavier than the Pig on it now and taming that gun at all would be nice.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 4:55:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I’m seriously contemplating one for a 7.5” SBR. It wont be much heavier than the Pig on it now and taming that gun at all would be nice.
View Quote
That might be one of the uses for mine once it clears.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 5:18:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Looking at my first suppressor purchase,the Sandman S or K,Razor 762,or SakerASR 556k? I like the promotion,weight, length, and multical use of the Razor. Who makes the better mount, DA or Rugged?
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 5:20:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Looking at my first suppressor purchase,the Sandman S or K,Razor 762,or SakerASR 556k? I like the promotion,weight, length, and multical use of the Razor. Who makes the better mount, DA or Rugged?
View Quote
DA
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 9:53:34 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote
I don't doubt that Rugged makes an awesome can, but the DA mount is the best design I've seen.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 10:07:36 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
I went with the dead air.  The modular Surge was tempting, but I wanted minimum length and like the dead air mounting system more.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 11:00:22 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I went with the dead air.  The modular Surge was tempting, but I wanted minimum length and like the dead air mounting system more.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Same, but the opposite direction. I wanted maximum length and like the Dead Air mounting system more, so I bought a Sandman L.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 11:26:48 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
They’re both very good mounts. The Rugged dual taper locks, so it’s arguably the most secure on the market. That’s not to say the Dead Air isn’t secure as hell.  It is.  The Dead Air is going to be faster off/on, can fit under a hand guard, and if you some how jack up the mounting mechanism you can install a new one without sending it in.  Plus you can Install the Key-mo mount on many SiCo cans. That was brilliant on Dead Air’s part.

As far as a first can, something like the Sandman K may be a little underwhelming suppression wise.  The Razor or Sandman S might meet one’s expectations better for a first can.   Depends on the intended use.

I have the Rugged Razor and Surge.  Very happy with both.  The Razor is fairly close in suppression and added length to my SpecWar K.  I’m also waiting on a Sandman K and will most likely pick up a Sandman L eventually.

What rifles are you looking to use it on?
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 1:03:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

They’re both very good mounts. The Rugged dual taper locks, so it’s arguably the most secure on the market. That’s not to say the Dead Air isn’t secure as hell.  It is.  The Dead Air is going to be faster off/on, can fit under a hand guard, and if you some how jack up the mounting mechanism you can install a new one without sending it in.  Plus you can Install the Key-mo mount on many SiCo cans. That was brilliant on Dead Air’s part.

As far as a first can, something like the Sandman K may be a little underwhelming suppression wise.  The Razor or Sandman S might meet one’s expectations better for a first can.   Depends on the intended use.

I have the Rugged Razor and Surge.  Very happy with both.  The Razor is fairly close in suppression and added length to my SpecWar K.  I’m also waiting on a Sandman K and will most likely pick up a Sandman L eventually.

What rifles are you looking to use it on?
View Quote
I'm putting it on my 16" mod 2 PWS. I'm looking at getting a 11.5" upper in the future as well. Another thing I like about the Razor is it's 300 RUM rated,I also plan on possibly getting one of those in the future.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 6:32:38 PM EDT
[#43]
The K is the type of suppressor I dream about. Small and light, quiet enough to take the edge off even if it isn't hearing safe. Mounting looks quick and secure. 

Is either the S or L hearing safe (under 140db) with a 14.5" AR in 556? I'd like to have a small can for convenience and also a bigger one for plinking, once I leave CA (less then a year away). 
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 7:38:30 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
The K is the type of suppressor I dream about. Small and light, quiet enough to take the edge off even if it isn't hearing safe. Mounting looks quick and secure. 

Is either the S or L hearing safe (under 140db) with a 14.5" AR in 556? I'd like to have a small can for convenience and also a bigger one for plinking, once I leave CA (less then a year away). 
View Quote
"Hearing safe" on an AR is very subjective and depends on a lot of factors.  The standard response is that it never is.  

But... If you have a good adjustable gas block (like Superlative Arms), a Bootleg adjustable carrier, or an A5/rifle length buffer tube/heavy buffer, then you can dial it in very well.  The Sandman-S has very low backpressure.  Couple that with a dialed in weapon, and you're looking at 137-ish dB at the shooters ear.  It's still bitey to me, but I have sensitive ears.  But it's also night and day different than the typical AR with a typical 556 or high back pressure 762 can on it.  Those are typically 142-148 dB at the shooters ear.  A long-stroke PWS rifle with the gas dialed in is sensational with a Sandman-S.  That's my favorite SBR.  

Todd Magee
Dead Air Engineering
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top