Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/6/2017 3:09:49 PM EDT
Found one for a good price but is it worth the price of admission? On one hand it's short and light and could take the edge off my 16" 7.62x39 which is already a long heavy pig. My Saker 7.62 is simply too much. Also,  I've converted all my SiCo to Keymo so I'm already ready for it in that regard.

But on the other hand it probably doesn't suppress all that much, I can't even find reduction numbers. And it's still a large chunk of change for someone with a budget.

Would you or would you not get a sandman k and why?
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 3:13:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I want one but can't justify it compared to my Sandman-S

I have my S on a 12" AK

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 3:27:55 PM EDT
[#2]
I've got one coming. But I plan to use it on my 607 clone when I get around to actually finishing that...
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 3:31:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I really liked it on my 6.5cm.

I know several guys in the PRS world who are running them on their rifles. I just bought one today for myself.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 9:03:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Mine is still in jail.  All I can offer is this:  prior to the purchase I had some questions and sent an email to Dead Air.  I got a phone call back from a real live human being who actually could answer some technical questions about their suppressors.  We talked about various Sandmans for a bit and he answered all my questions.   The last thing he said to me was "you are going to absolutely LOVE the K."  This was an unsolicited remark.  So, take that for what it is worth.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 9:16:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Can any of them be approved yet?  The were just released on 6/15.  

I doubt mines approved this year.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 10:24:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
I realize that. I'm looking for why you purchased, or why you did not purchase.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 9:00:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I purchased one but obviously it's still on a Form 4. My FFL has the capability for visits as it's also a range, but I haven't taken advantage of that yet as I still need to purchase a 1/2x28 muzzle brake. My primary purpose is to take the bite out of my 11.5" 5.56 HD SBR, which is fine by me as no 5.56mm suppressor is truly hearing safe anyway. I wanted something that is not so nose-heavy as other suppressors and is still manageable and maneuverable around the house.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 10:00:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
Short can, full-auto rated with no barrel-length restrictions. Put it on whatever I want, which will most likely be my 7.5" 5.56 AR. And, like you, I am already invested in Key-Mo and DA sandman mounts.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 10:08:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No barrel restrictions, it's 5.4" long, and the great mounting system.  I know it's not going to be the quietest, but I wanted something short and light that'll take the bark off of centerfire rifles.  I shoot at a range, so I'm going to be wearing ear pro regardless.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 10:57:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My host is a 7.5 inch 556 with a binary trigger.  Lack of barrel length restrictions and DA's reputation/CS made the Sandman K a no-brainer for me.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 11:52:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 4:35:19 PM EDT
[#12]
If I was invested in Keymo (but instead have both Rugged 7.62 cans) I'd have jumped on one from the get go.  I'm already waiting on a Saker ASR K so it's all kind of up in the air since I'd probably use them for the same purpose (short/durable can for SBR) Had I known the Sandman K was planned I would have likely picked up the Sandman S/L instead of the Razor/Surge.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 5:09:06 PM EDT
[#13]
I just bought one, should start my Form 4 here soon. I bought it because I already have a Sandman S so I'm already set up for it on several rifles. I wanted a shorter and lighter option for when I'm carrying my gun more than shooting it. I plan on it performing hunting and bedside duty. Eventually I'll likely pick up an L too just to round out the collection.

ETA: If you're set up for a military discount, DSG Arms has them at a VERY reasonable price. I absolutely couldn't pass it up.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 5:33:05 PM EDT
[#14]
My suggestion - BUY ONE! They are reasonably inexpensive compared to other quality short rifle silencers. My only current rifle can is an AAC 762SDN6 that I've had since early 2015 and it stays primarily parked on a BCM 11.5" SBR (5.56mm). Honestly the AAC is old technology when compared to most of the popular options today from different manufactures and I wanted a short 30 cal/5.56mm can for more flexibility. I ordered mine mid July but unfortunately it hasn't even arrived at the FFL yet.....so its going to be awhile. Goodluck.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 5:46:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 7:47:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Ok y'all convinced me. I couldn't resist any longer!

@doty-soty yea I saw that which was the sole reason I started to consider the K. Pretty damn good deal!
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 6:39:31 PM EDT
[#17]
I have considered it for my work AR (10.3 sbr).  Also fun for the Honey Badger.  Would keep it short with less bite. Still wakt a full L can too ( I have the S and love it)
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 7:22:44 PM EDT
[#18]
I was thinking today that this has to have guys like Rugged in a frenzy. Shorter than a razor, $150(?) cheaper, and arguably a better mount.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 8:32:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I like the Sandman-K for SBRs that are more geared towards "work" guns.   Not necessarily saying it's for guys kicking in doors and jumping out of helicopters, but it's a can for use rather than to show off at the range.

Some cans that sound great and are big and heavy are fine range toys, but in and out of vehicles or in confined spaces--- I want something small.  If it's louder, so be it.  I would rather take tiny and louder over long and quiet.  It kills concussion from tiny 5.56 SBRs and brings it to a more non-teeth-rattling dB level.

Another great use is training classes where you still have to wear ear pro, but want a little less concussion (shooting 1000+ rounds in a day of 5.56 even with ear pro gets real old.)
View Quote
This is why I'm going to buy atleast one.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 12:30:38 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
For a short, hard use silencer, the Sandman-K is practically impossible to beat at this price-point!  
View Quote
What about for a hunting rifle? I'm looking for my first suppressor and on paper, the K looks ideal: short (this is a big deal to me. Hard enough to get a rifle out of the truck quickly without it being 4 feet long), light, reasonably priced. Not looking for the quietest, just something to take the edge off.

Is there a better choice?
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 1:55:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
What about for a hunting rifle? I'm looking for my first suppressor and on paper, the K looks ideal: short (this is a big deal to me. Hard enough to get a rifle out of the truck quickly without it being 4 feet long), light, reasonably priced. Not looking for the quietest, just something to take the edge off.

View Quote
Personally I wouldn't want it for a hunting rifle just because it's not likely to be hearing safe on almost any rifle setup. The only numbers I've seen for it was a DA guy in an interview saying it was about 150db on a 16" AR.

If size is your top priority it might be best for you though. I don't know of any 7.62 can that's shorter. If you just need 5.56 there's probably other options.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 6:29:57 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
If it was direct thread I'd say not a bad idea. The only weight for it I can find is 12.8oz. Not sure if that's with or without the mount. If it's with, that's not too bad for the pair. A harvester is 11oz but the damn thing is like 10" long which has me concerned if I'll even use mine when it gets free from jail.

A minimal reduction is better than no reduction.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 9:18:02 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I was thinking today that this has to have guys like Rugged in a frenzy. Shorter than a razor, $150(?) cheaper, and arguably a better mount.
View Quote
Yeah. Wonder if they'll come out with anything to compete.   Had I known there'd be a Sandman K, I'd have most likely bought the Sandman S and L instead of the Razor and Surge.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 4:48:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
I would get Sandman-S for my first. Just because the little extra length will get you better suppression, but still be versatile for suppressing other firearms down the road.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 8:17:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
Something to think about is SiCo's Omega. With the direct thread adapter it's only about .6" longer than the Sandman K and close to the same weight, but a bit quieter
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 9:44:11 PM EDT
[#26]
On Dead Airs Facebook and Instagram a video is posted shooting the K and S on several of the same hosts. 11.5/16/AK
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 12:27:56 PM EDT
[#27]
FINALLY! Someone posted sound data for the Sandman-K. In this case, Capital Armory.

I think I'm gonna get one, not nearly as loud as I expected.
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 1:13:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
FINALLY! Someone posted sound data for the Sandman-K. In this case, Capital Armory.

https://i.imgur.com/x8dOsHb.png

https://i.imgur.com/qHnrOaa.png

https://i.imgur.com/qFG5qKR.png

View Quote
Finally someone tested it. Damn, that is a LOT louder than a Sandman S. I was thinking about maybe putting one on my 14.5" AR just for fun, but not at that decibel level.
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 1:19:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Something to think about is SiCo's Omega. With the direct thread adapter it's only about .6" longer than the Sandman K and close to the same weight, but a bit quieter
View Quote
Don't forget that the Sandman-K sits back over the muzzle device.  By the time you add the direct thread mount to the Omega, it's probably a few inches longer than the Sandman-K once mounted.  It'll definitely be quieter, but that's not the purpose of this exercise.
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 1:25:28 PM EDT
[#30]
It's a great can and price but I'll probably just impulse buy a 22 can next if I don't see a good DA promo for day after thanksgiving
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 3:01:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Finally someone tested it. Damn, that is a LOT louder than a Sandman S. I was thinking about maybe putting one on my 14.5" AR just for fun, but not at that decibel level.
View Quote
The 308 numbers are none too impressive, but 5.56 is better than I was expecting. 4.5db louder than the S.

Silencer Shop has a video testing the AAC Mini-4 and they got a 141.8 avg. MAC got 143. Seems to be at least on par with that. I couldn't find any videos testing the Surefire SOCOM 556-Mini, but I bet it would be even louder.
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 3:29:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
I would like to know what it does on a 13" SCAR 17 if it was at least under 150db I could play ball

ETA: just saw the 556 numbers are on a 16" gun. Would like to have seen on an SBR and the 308 on a semi instead of a bolt gun
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 4:26:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Don't forget that the Sandman-K sits back over the muzzle device.  By the time you add the direct thread mount to the Omega, it's probably a few inches longer than the Sandman-K once mounted.  It'll definitely be quieter, but that's not the purpose of this exercise.
View Quote
Comparing from the end of the muzzle (not muzzle brake), the direct thread Omega, with a flat end cap, is only about .6 inches longer than the Sandman K with the required brake.
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 4:37:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
The 308 numbers are none too impressive, but 5.56 is better than I was expecting. 4.5db louder than the S.

Silencer Shop has a video testing the AAC Mini-4 and they got a 141.8 avg. MAC got 143. Seems to be at least on par with that. I couldn't find any videos testing the Surefire SOCOM 556-Mini, but I bet it would be even louder.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's about what I expect, but I expected loud. Comparing it to the Sandman S...bear in mind that the S isn't the quietest can around, either. The Recce 5 did 129.7 dB on a 16" AR-15 in SilencerShop's testing, and it's 0.6" longer than the Sandman K and the same weight once you include the mount. I think the Sandman K should've been 5.56, the double-whammy of it being a mini-length can combined with a .308 bore just gives up too much suppression.

Any at-the-ear numbers on the Sandman K on a 16" AR-15?
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 4:38:34 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
If I was invested in Keymo (but instead have both Rugged 7.62 cans) I'd have jumped on one from the get go.  I'm already waiting on a Saker ASR K so it's all kind of up in the air since I'd probably use them for the same purpose (short/durable can for SBR) Had I known the Sandman K was planned I would have likely picked up the Sandman S/L instead of the Razor/Surge.
View Quote
There is a fix for the ASR mount and your Saker if it has a module.  Dr. Pappas' miracle cure.  Lol.

I have a lot of rounds on that 14.5 inch SBR and I've never cleaned the mount. Never had to. Although that will probably jimx me now that have written this

Link Posted: 9/30/2017 4:40:36 PM EDT
[#36]
The Sadmsn S is louder. But it's shorter and it is a purpose-built can for a working gun that needs a short suppressor. Or, if the end-user values and short suppressor over longer one, then this is the can for you. It has all of that dead air goodness and quality in a shorter smaller package.  

If it's going to be used on a 556, I wonder if there is a 556 in cap available for it? If there is, that should quiet it down a little bit on an AR-15 556 rifle
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 4:46:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
The Sadmsn S is louder. But it's shorter and it is a purpose-built can for a working gun that needs a short suppressor. Or, if the end-user values and short suppressor over longer one, then this is the can for you. It has all of that dead air goodness and quality in a shorter smaller package.  

If it's going to be used on a 556, I wonder if there is a 556 in cap available for it? If there is, that should quiet it down a little bit on an AR-15 556 rifle
View Quote
There is a 5.56 endcap available, but as we've seen from testing of many oversized silencers with small endcaps over the last few years (i.e. .45 cans with a 9mm endcap and .308 cans with a 5.56 endcap), the endcap changes little. The baffles provide the real suppression, and the larger bore makes a big difference.

I disagree that someone can't have a can that's both quiet and short. But short, QD, and over-bore will not make a quiet silencer. Talking about 0.6" OAL on a rifle silencer is basically imperceptible from the shooter's viewpoint.
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 11:47:06 PM EDT
[#38]
Would a Sandman K tame this down a hair?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 11:53:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/70686/20170930_224520-321939.JPG
View Quote
What is that?  A 12.5" 308?

It would take it a lot, but still entertainingly loud. Lol
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 12:07:50 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
My buddy's mega 762 12.5" with Sandman S is still a monster
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 12:13:52 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

My buddy's mega 762 12.5" with Sandman S is still a monster
View Quote
In would expect it to be a lot quieter than unsuppressed but still loud as a fire breathing dragon.
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 12:22:55 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yes and it is a beast.  I currently use an AAC SDN6 but I'd like to keep it dedicated to my 300blk
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 12:43:28 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/70686/20170930_224520-321939.JPG
View Quote
The only way to tame that down is to go deaf. The Sandman K/S/L line is one of very few that I would trust to hold up to that level of abuse without issue though.

The gas volume on a 12.5" .308 would benefit greatly from any additional volume in the silencer...but I have a feeling "quiet" isn't your main objective with that gun.
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 12:45:39 AM EDT
[#44]
I like my Sandman S, but I can't speak to the K.
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 12:49:13 AM EDT
[#45]
I bet it would sound good on a bolt gun but loud on an ar. I'm sure it will work great for a lot of people but I'd pick up a second Razor before I bought one of these.
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 1:04:50 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I bet it would sound good on a bolt gun but loud on an ar. I'm sure it will work great for a lot of people but I'd pick up a second Razor before I bought one of these.
View Quote
It's just shy of twice as loud as a Sandman L on a 20" .308 bolt gun at 146.5 dB vs. the L at 137.1 dB from Silencer Shop's testing. That's a 9.4 dB difference. A change of 10 dB = twice as loud. Screw that.

I want to love the Sandman K. I want to buy it and look like a cool guy with my super short can. I also want it to defy physics...
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 3:33:43 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

There is a fix for the ASR mount and your Saker if it has a module.  Dr. Pappas' miracle cure.  Lol.

I have a lot of rounds on that 14.5 inch SBR and I've never cleaned the mount. Never had to. Although that will probably jimx me now that have written this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9W6obCIV38g
View Quote
I have pondered that, but I still have a SpecWar K that I can’t change the mount on.   If I could, I would go all Dead Air and Rugged mounts.  

I’ll probably end up with a couple Sandmans down the road anyway.
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 5:49:33 PM EDT
[#48]
Once my K clears its going on a fullauto hk53 and hk51. Should be good times.
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 7:34:19 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That video leaves me thinking two thiings:

1.  This is much more useful on a full sized (16") AR that I had first thought.  You're basically getting a Mini 4 with a better mount at a better price.

2.  It confirms my initial thought that I didn't understand why it was made in .30 cal - with those sound levels on BLK and .308, I really don't see a large cal. application that makes much sense.

I think I'm going to grab one now, but I still would have rather seen it done in 556.
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 11:17:17 PM EDT
[#50]
I ordered a Sandman K last week from the Capitol Armory. I'll post a review once I receive my Arsenal 104UR Krink back from Rifle Dynamics in a few weeks.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top