Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 9:05:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I just prefer the UC is all. Easier to deal with for me anyways. I've only used the dip on leaded up barrels. I honestly don't know how well the dip works on carbon that's caked on. May work really well. But the issue is not so much lead as it is carbon that almost seems to bond with the metal on a molecular level (joking, but that stuff is REALLY on there)
View Quote
I see.  I haven't needed to clean my sealed can yet myself, but in researching it, the dip method does appear to remove everything, including the paint, which is okay since Cerakote C is easy enough to come by.  It looks to be a thorough method, the drawback being that it's restricted to using on SS, Inconel, & Stelite constructed (ie. rifle) cans.  I really need to see if it reacts at all with titanium.

US is the method of choice in the automotive industry for cleaning engine internals & components (BIG time carbon deposition pistons & valves), although the industrial US units operate at higher Hz, which is supposed to be preferred for aluminum.  What are your thoughts/observations regarding that & the anodizing wear you mentioned earlier?

ETA I despise auto incorrect.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 9:20:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I see.  I haven't needed to clean my sealed can yet myself, but in researching it, the dip method does appear to remove everything, including the paint, which is okay since Cerakote C easy enough to come by.  It looks to be a thorough method, the drawback being that it's restricted to using on SS, Inconel, & Stelite constructed (ie. rifle) cans.  I really need to see if it reacts athe all with titanium.

US is the method of choice in the automotive industry for cleaning engine internals have components (BIG time carbon deposition pistons have valves), although the industrial US units operate at higher Hz, which is supposed to be preferred for aluminum.  What are your thoughts/observations regarding that the anodizing wear you mentioned earlier?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just prefer the UC is all. Easier to deal with for me anyways. I've only used the dip on leaded up barrels. I honestly don't know how well the dip works on carbon that's caked on. May work really well. But the issue is not so much lead as it is carbon that almost seems to bond with the metal on a molecular level (joking, but that stuff is REALLY on there)
I see.  I haven't needed to clean my sealed can yet myself, but in researching it, the dip method does appear to remove everything, including the paint, which is okay since Cerakote C easy enough to come by.  It looks to be a thorough method, the drawback being that it's restricted to using on SS, Inconel, & Stelite constructed (ie. rifle) cans.  I really need to see if it reacts athe all with titanium.

US is the method of choice in the automotive industry for cleaning engine internals have components (BIG time carbon deposition pistons have valves), although the industrial US units operate at higher Hz, which is supposed to be preferred for aluminum.  What are your thoughts/observations regarding that the anodizing wear you mentioned earlier?
Plenty of steel pistol cans and rimfire cans as well. Seems like it would be okay with the Omega 9K and Wolf-9SD.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 9:28:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I see.  I haven't needed to clean my sealed can yet myself, but in researching it, the dip method does appear to remove everything, including the paint, which is okay since Cerakote C is easy enough to come by.  It looks to be a thorough method, the drawback being that it's restricted to using on SS, Inconel, & Stelite constructed (ie. rifle) cans.  I really need to see if it reacts at all with titanium.

US is the method of choice in the automotive industry for cleaning engine internals have components (BIG time carbon deposition pistons have valves), although the industrial US units operate at higher Hz, which is supposed to be preferred for aluminum.  What are your thoughts/observations regarding that & the anodizing wear you mentioned earlier?

ETA I despise auto incorrect.
View Quote
Ive never used anything aluminum in the ultra sonic cleaner. My impression was that its damaging to aluminum.

Those I bead blast, which is also not a great idea because it removes the anodizing. That said there really is zero wear on any of the baffles. I guess the pistol powder isn't moving fast enough to have wear and erosion like you do with rifle cans.

If I can take a can apart bead blasting if my preferred method for caked on carbon. Its fast and not much of a mess to clean up.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 12:38:06 PM EDT
[#4]
1.618" diameter, Good for 300 blackout subs and supers.  

Might be a good way to get a modular 300 blackout can.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 1:10:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

Good to see. Silencer Shop's ad copy has it listed as 1.375" diameter which seemed small to me.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 1:36:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Good to see. Silencer Shop's ad copy has it listed as 1.375" diameter which seemed small to me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, that's good to hear. When I read 1.375" it immediately made the can seem pointless. Subgun cans should be a larger diameter like this. It's the perfect competitor to the Omega 9K, too bad Dead Air's 3-lug isn't a little shorter.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 1:51:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed on both accounts.

This also explains the weight.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 1:53:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Yeah, that's good to hear. When I read 1.375" it immediately made the can seem pointless. Subgun cans should be a larger diameter like this. It's the perfect competitor to the Omega 9K, too bad Dead Air's 3-lug isn't a little shorter.
View Quote
Agreed. It was was hard to see how it differed from GhostM, other thann 9mm bore.

Full specs are up on DA website.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 2:15:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

too bad Dead Air's 3-lug isn't a little shorter.
View Quote

This too ... 
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 5:52:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 7:00:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 7:53:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If they are true they are very impressive.
I don't think there is any way they will come close to those numbers.
View All Quotes
Can any dealers or Dead Air provide the weight and length in the short configuration with a 3-lug?
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 8:06:07 PM EDT
[#13]

Link Posted: 8/4/2017 6:10:16 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm glad somebody finally came out with a mudular supressor that is actually short.   But why do welds look like total shit?  900 bucks for shitty welding? no way
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 6:25:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
But why do welds look like total shit?  900 bucks for shitty welding? no way
View Quote
No outer serialized tube to irreparably damage...
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 6:27:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
Since all the baffles are welded together, who cares. It is not like the are going to cut the stack in half and weld in a new set of baffles if you have a strike. Welded cans are generally 1 piece items. Hence a 2 piece can has some value for repair.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 6:56:12 PM EDT
[#17]
In the short it's 4 db louder than the Omega 9k (maybe more on an MP5) but .6 inches shorter. The long db numbers are impressive but the weight is a trade-off. To me it's cool but doesn't make sense for a semi PCC. A subgun might be different since that was the primary application.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 7:10:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Since all the baffles are welded together, who cares. It is not like the are going to cut the stack in half and weld in a new set of baffles if you have a strike. Welded cans are generally 1 piece items. Hence a 2 piece can has some value for repair.
View Quote
I realize they will cut the baffles off, that was my point. If there was  tube covering the welds, and that tube was the serialized portion, were it damaged, I would possibly need a new suppressor, correct?

So on a can that's intended for full-auto 9mm, if they serialize it close to the muzzle, they can cut off the baffle stack, and/or replace with a new second "long" module or whatever you want to call it (pending ATF's up-coming determination)
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 10:57:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I realize they will cut the baffles off, that was my point. If there was  tube covering the welds, and that tube was the serialized portion, were it damaged, I would possibly need a new suppressor, correct?

So on a can that's intended for full-auto 9mm, if they serialize it close to the muzzle, they can cut off the baffle stack, and/or replace with a new second "long" module or whatever you want to call it (pending ATF's up-coming determination)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm of the opinion that damn near anything is fixable, regardless of whether or not it has a tube.

Deleting the tube and welding the stack is a move to increase internal volume; take note of how this is done in conjunction with an increase in diameter of the can.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 11:04:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I realize they will cut the baffles off, that was my point.
View Quote
I was not aware of any MFG doing this. I think would be cheaper and safer to give them a new can AND pay the tax.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 11:10:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
have a look at other tubeless cans, sig for instance.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 11:33:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I was not aware of any MFG doing this. I think would be cheaper and safer to give them a new can AND pay the tax.
View Quote
I thought that was the entire beef when ATF wanted to require them to serialize the outer tube, as the were moving towards tubeless, welded-stack designs? Learn something new every day.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 11:44:27 PM EDT
[#23]
I haven't heard any stories yet of end users having a baffle strike or weld failure on their tubeless cans and how the manufacturer handled it. So I guess we'll all find out the course of action when someone suffers that issue and what the companies end up doing.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 11:47:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I haven't heard any stories yet of end users having a baffle strike or weld failure on their tubeless cans and how the manufacturer handled it. So I guess we'll all find out the course of action when someone suffers that issue and what the companies end up doing.
View Quote
I had a tube failure with an SWR SPECWAR2 can, I got a new SPECWAR3 can.  Have not broken a tubeless, yet.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 10:04:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Paid for mine last week.  Makes for the 5th Dead Air can in jail this year.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 12:42:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The tubeless design element is understood but not a reason for welds that appear to have an issue at first glance. They may be perfectly fused with a joint detail that facilitates the undercut appearance of these welds but they are not the most cosmetically pleasing I've seen. In the industry I work these would warrant further investigation/inspection prior to being approved for deployment.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 2:30:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
The tubeless design element is understood but not a reason for welds that appear to have an issue at first glance. They may be perfectly fused with a joint detail that facilitates the undercut appearance of these welds but they are not the most cosmetically pleasing I've seen. In the industry I work these would warrant further investigation/inspection prior to being approved for deployment.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Agreed! Dead Air doesn't put out subpar stuff so I'm sure they're fine functionally, but aesthetically they're not up to their standards, in my very worthless opinion. Both SIG and Q suppressors are machine welded as evidenced by videos that both companies have out on YouTube or Instagram. I don't have a Q suppressor (which I need to remedy) but the welds on my SIG rifle suppressors are beautiful. I also have a few SiCo Omega 9K's that all have very consistent welds leaving me to believe that they're also machine welded. I wonder if this new tubeless suppressor from Dead Air is manually welded? Again, I'm sure they're functionally great; I'm just nitpicking here.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 1:00:50 AM EDT
[#28]
On a totally unrelated note... DA is coming out with different end caps for the Ghost M. No ETA as of yet but they're being worked on.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 1:53:39 AM EDT
[#29]
Maybe its just me but the welds look fine IMO. I mean its a rough look, but it looks like it's supposed to look that way so it's fine, if that makes sense? More importantly to me the cerakote looks good. When my dealer got in a shipment of Masks a couple of them had rough cerakote like there was bits of sand in places so I went through a couple of boxes and found a clean one. That grit in the cerakote would have bothered me a lot more than these welds, but maybe I just have a weird strain of OCD.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 9:12:28 AM EDT
[#30]
Just ordered one. Will head down to the shop to do the kiosk thing either Monday or Tuesday when I pick up my Zenith Z-5P.

This will be my first can.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 10:15:37 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
On a totally unrelated note... DA is coming out with different end caps for the Ghost M. No ETA as of yet but they're being worked on.
View Quote
Source....This is the first I've heard this.  I have a Ghost and was hoping they would offer endcaps to replace the wipes.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 10:42:54 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 11:31:19 AM EDT
[#33]
I wouldn't be touching anything modular until the ATF makes another determination they have no business making.

I like the way the welds look. Obviously done for aesthetic purposes.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 12:38:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I wouldn't be touching anything modular until the ATF makes another determination they have no business making.

View Quote
The atf is talking about suppressors that can be turned from 1 suppressor into 2 suppressors.  Not 1 suppressor into a shorter suppressor.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 1:02:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Modular silencers are fine. I have no concerns buying anything on the market right now.

Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 1:18:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

The atf is talking about suppressors that can be turned from 1 suppressor into 2 suppressors.  Not 1 suppressor into a shorter suppressor.
View Quote
Wasn't there a video a while back of someone screwing two Omegas together or something? Someone refresh my memory
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 2:32:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Wasn't there a video a while back of someone screwing two Omegas together or something? Someone refresh my memory
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I want to say it was Capitol Armory.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 2:57:51 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
Says logic. When is the last time they used that with any kind of regularity? Shouldering the brace might be it. And it's still ambiguous.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 7:53:09 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I would be very surprised if Dead Air came out with replacement front caps for the Ghost. Maybe a flat .45 caliber.  Consider the issues Griffin, Rugged and SilencerCo had with replacement 9mm front caps.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Source....This is the first I've heard this.  I have a Ghost and was hoping they would offer endcaps to replace the wipes.
I would be very surprised if Dead Air came out with replacement front caps for the Ghost. Maybe a flat .45 caliber.  Consider the issues Griffin, Rugged and SilencerCo had with replacement 9mm front caps.
The source is dead air themselves. I emailed them about it.

Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:17:31 PM EDT
[#40]
Why aren't there any reviews or videos on this can. I really want one, but I'm not throwing money down on it blindly.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:25:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Why aren't there any reviews or videos on this can. I really want one, but I'm not throwing money down on it blindly.
View Quote
It's brand new. Reviews on cans take some time. We still don't even have solid reviews/feedback on suppressors that came out before the Wolf.

If it's what you're looking for on paper, I'd buy it as DA doesn't put out garbage.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 3:01:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

It's brand new. Reviews on cans take some time. We still don't even have solid reviews/feedback on suppressors that came out before the Wolf.

If it's what you're looking for on paper, I'd buy it as DA doesn't put out garbage.
View Quote
I was just wondering if it was rated for .300 blackout. On Dead Air's site it says only 9mm, but The Firearm Blog says it's rated for .300 blackout. Just want some clarification.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 3:03:23 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I was just wondering if it was rated for .300 blackout. On Dead Air's site it says only 9mm, but The Firearm Blog says it's rated for .300 blackout. Just want some clarification.
View Quote

@Mageever
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 3:25:10 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017/08/01/dead-air-wolf-9sd/

If you mean this post, I don't recall adding 300Blk specs.

Not to steal Todd's response, but I just asked - the Wolf will handle 300 subs and supers.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 4:29:06 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Not to steal Todd's response, but I just asked - the Wolf will handle 300 subs and supers.
View Quote

Just because you know people that know people doesn't mean you have to rub it in. 
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 4:37:31 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017/08/01/dead-air-wolf-9sd/

If you mean this post, I don't recall adding 300Blk specs.

View Quote
It was Todd's replies in the comments that said it was good for 300blk which was throwing me off. Thanks for the clarification and great write up!! Thanks!!
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 4:39:08 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Just because you know people that know people doesn't mean you have to rub it in. 
View Quote
I'm just a moron with a keyboard.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 5:10:21 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

@Mageever
View Quote
Yes!    Subs and supers.  Go nuts.

ETA: Website is fixed.  Thanks for the heads-up!
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 5:18:44 PM EDT
[#49]
I ordered one months ago before I even saw one. Still haven't received mine yet.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 9:09:15 PM EDT
[#50]
I got mine in today but with the photo bucket changes I don't have a way to host pictures.  I'll try to get a video on a few different hosts this weekend and report back.
Pictures are on Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/HBguns/posts/1932590340348669
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top