BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 34
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 11:41:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

oh yea, they know their stuff and the quality of the guns was top notch. The place is really interesting. Just a door in a building with no markings, you walk in and there are hundreds of machine guns lines along the wall. Everything from m16's to SAW's, RPD's. You name it, they had it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I spent about 2.5 hours at TPM shooting the shit, and SDs yesterday!

Awesome. Good guys? Good feeling? Package deals?

Can't wait to order.

oh yea, they know their stuff and the quality of the guns was top notch. The place is really interesting. Just a door in a building with no markings, you walk in and there are hundreds of machine guns lines along the wall. Everything from m16's to SAW's, RPD's. You name it, they had it.

Alright, I'm going to give them a call and see if I can pay a visit tomorrow.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 12:14:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I spent about 2.5 hours at TPM shooting the shit, and SDs yesterday!

Awesome. Good guys? Good feeling? Package deals?

Can't wait to order.

This is the gun that graced my wildest wet dreams last night.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 12:14:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 12:22:51 PM EDT
[#4]
everyone told me that they take months to get things done. When I asked them yesterday, Ken said its about 2 weeks right now.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 12:24:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, my mind is pretty made up. Awesome.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 12:26:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

They had about 10 receivers on the work bench ready to be pieced together. 5 SD's and 5 K's.

I personally think I am going to go with the K, just because I have a 3 pistol can's I don't have any use for and I like that I can throw it in my work bag and NGAF.

The SD will be next.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 12:36:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

They had about 10 receivers on the work bench ready to be pieced together. 5 SD's and 5 K's.

I personally think I am going to go with the K, just because I have a 3 pistol can's I don't have any use for and I like that I can throw it in my work bag and NGAF.

The SD will be next.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The SD will be next.

I have a pistol can with no host. But I really like the ported barrel.

Maybe I'll have to get a K too.

ETA: I'm in love.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 1:01:30 PM EDT
[#8]
I was surprised at how lite the SD was. I thought it would be a heavy clunky gun. Very well balanced.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 4:38:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I was surprised at how lite the SD was. I thought it would be a heavy clunky gun. Very well balanced.
View Quote

SD points very well. I have no complaints.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 11:13:40 PM EDT
[#10]
MP5-SD w/collapsible stock and Knights can is my lottery gun #1.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 11:41:51 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

View Quote

There's a group buy going on at HKPro for KAC MP5 cans. http://www.hkpro.com/forum/teufelshund-tactical/213975-group-buy-kac-mp5-n-suppressors-17.html

I'm debating whether I even want to know if it's still possible to get in on it $1950 for the SD can

Link Posted: 4/14/2016 4:12:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

SD owners: What stock do you like? The A3 would be nice for transport, but it seems like the A2 would be nicer for shooting (ergonomics + balance). Do you like the A3 because you feel all Navy SEAL, or is it a better fit for the SD than the A2 stock?

ETA: Are there any issues with the SD suppressor unscrewing itself like other thread-on suppressors?
View Quote

You have to have the A3 stock, it's a rule.  Not the goofy looking french one, either.  Fixed stocks can be had for as little as $50, so there is no excuse not to get both.  There is an o-ring behind the suppressor, the can compresses it as it is tightened.  It won't loosen.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 4:13:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

There's a group buy going on at HKPro for KAC MP5 cans. http://www.hkpro.com/forum/teufelshund-tactical/213975-group-buy-kac-mp5-n-suppressors-17.html

I'm debating whether I even want to know if it's still possible to get in on it $1950 for the SD can

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The KAC can is not worth $1950, unless you want it because it is a KAC can.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 4:17:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My SD can from RCM was $400. I dont know if the others are worth the increase in price? My RCM can sounds great to me.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 5:15:59 PM EDT
[#15]
I paid a visit to TPM today. Those guys are awesome. Thoughts at the bottom of this post.

Quoted:
 Well...Looks like I'll send them the upper to change the barrel to 3-lug.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I would definitely have them do the work. There was a gun in the shop that they just replaced the flush K barrel with a 3-lug barrel.

Quoted:

It definitely depends on who makes it. I've held an SD before that weighed a ton. TPM's was perfect. The can is super lightweight.

Quoted:

No kidding, that thing is for collectors only. TPM's can is $600 and doesn't look like it has hail damage.

Quoted:

And now for you...you and your damn thread.

TPM is a fairly small shop with a couple really great guys working there. Ken pays a TON of attention to how the guns are put together, including exactly where he welds to make the gun look really clean and ensuring the radii inside the receiver are very consistent. Everything gets test fit and the flats are tweaked just the right amount for everything to go together with a perfect fit. Talking to them for a few hours, I have no doubts that Ken and Matt are motivated by making a perfect product rather than making the most money possible by taking shortcuts.

We looked at MP5s and SD cans that TPM makes vs. MP5s and SD cans that other builders make, and I 100% believe that TPM is better than brands that you would pay substantially more money for. Ken was fixing things on a handful of different big name MP5 builders guns that were sent to him by customers who had issues due to design or manufacturing shortcuts taken by said builders. There were also a couple different SD cans taken apart and WOW there's some bad, lazy, or antiquated designs out there. Ray Charles could see the difference in some of these SD cans.

There were only a couple things I saw from other brands that made me think "Well that's stupid, but it's not the end of the world." Most of the other issues I saw were a solid 5 out of 5 faces. MP5SDs are expensive. Cutting little corners is stupid, cutting massive corners is unethical.

Matt told me they're not interested in calling out other builders because that's not the way they want to come across, and I agree with them and completely respect that. So rather than saying anything negative about some other builders, I will say wholeheartedly: If you want an MP5SD, buy a TPM. I just did.

ETA: My wife is a fucking SAINT.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 5:34:34 PM EDT
[#16]

Hahaha. Congrats! Can I ask the price?

I'm jealous. I still have time to wait.

Quoted:
I paid a visit to TPM today. Those guys are awesome. Thoughts at the bottom of this post.

I would definitely have them do the work. There was a gun in the shop that they just replaced the flush K barrel with a 3-lug barrel.

It definitely depends on who makes it. I've held an SD before that weighed a ton. TPM's was perfect. The can is super lightweight.

No kidding, that thing is for collectors only. TPM's can is $600 and doesn't look like it has hail damage.

TPM is a fairly small shop with a couple really great guys working there. Ken pays a TON of attention to how the guns are put together, including exactly where he welds to make the gun look really clean and ensuring the radii inside the receiver are very consistent. Everything gets test fit and the flats are tweaked just the right amount for everything to go together with a perfect fit. Talking to them for a few hours, I have no doubts that Ken and Matt are motivated by making a perfect product rather than making the most money possible by taking shortcuts.

We looked at MP5s and SD cans that TPM makes vs. MP5s and SD cans that other builders make, and I 100% believe that TPM is better than brands that you would pay substantially more money for. Ken was fixing things on a handful of different big name MP5 builders guns that were sent to him by customers who had issues due to design or manufacturing shortcuts taken by said builders. There were also a couple different SD cans taken apart and WOW there's some bad, lazy, or antiquated designs out there. Ray Charles could see the difference in some of these SD cans.

There were only a couple things I saw from other brands that made me think "Well that's stupid, but it's not the end of the world." Most of the other issues I saw were a solid 5 out of 5 faces. MP5SDs are expensive. Cutting little corners is stupid, cutting massive corners is unethical.

Matt told me they're not interested in calling out other builders because that's not the way they want to come across, and I agree with them and completely respect that. So rather than saying anything negative about some other builders, I will say wholeheartedly: If you want an MP5SD, buy a TPM. I just did.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/14/2016 5:39:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Congrats GP. That's exciting
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 5:41:24 PM EDT
[#18]
I am pretty sure Ken worked for Murray, even the name of the shop *PM is similar.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 5:51:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Thanks! Sent you a PM - I got it for the Gunbroker price.

Quoted:
Congrats GP. That's exciting

Thanks man, I'm really excited about it. This was a gun I thought I would literally never own. A lot changes in a week.

Quoted:
I am pretty sure Ken worked for Murray, even the name of the shop *PM is similar.

I believe he did. I soaked up all the information I could today, and we talked about it but some of that info is already lost on me. I got a pretty good crash course in MP5SDs.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 5:57:04 PM EDT
[#20]
pm me the gunbroker price por favor.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 6:13:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
pm me the gunbroker price por favor.
View Quote

Ah, sorry - I was referring to this one they just sold on Gunbroker. Earlier conversation with goloud would've made that really confusing for anyone else reading my post.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 6:40:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 6:44:12 PM EDT
[#23]
That's not as expensive as I expected
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 6:58:00 PM EDT
[#24]
I'll have to give TPM a call tomorrow and set up a time to stop by next week. I have a strong suspicion that I will be joining the SD club in the very near future!

Link Posted: 4/14/2016 7:00:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

My thoughts too. Nice purchase GP.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 7:09:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Does the "Gunbroker Price" include the suppressor?
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 7:10:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Does the "Gunbroker Price" include the suppressor?
View Quote

Yup.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 7:14:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks. I think this one is cheaper because it's a U.S. A3 stock instead of the German A3 stock. I'm really happy with the price, but I'll be eating pasta for the next year and probably selling some other stuff to help pay for part of it. $4,110 with tax stamps is still a chunk of money.

Quoted:
I'll have to give TPM a call tomorrow and set up a time to stop by next week. I have a strong suspicion that I will be joining the SD club in the very near future!

Do it.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 7:30:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Wonder if they would do an Arfcom group buy?

but really?
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 7:55:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

but really?
View Quote

Honestly, I bet they would. Never hurts to ask. They said they're selling like crazy right now.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 8:21:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Honestly, I bet they would. Never hurts to ask. They said they're selling like crazy right now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

but really?

well now, I may give them a shout and ask.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 8:46:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

but really?

I'm in. I'll need to step up my savings plan.

I'd also like to see if they would customize the handguard for me. I want the stock guard, with a section of rail at 9 o'clock for a light. And maybe some way to attach an optic.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 9:33:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I'd also like to see if they would customize the handguard for me. I want the stock guard, with a section of rail at 9 o'clock for a light. And maybe some way to attach an optic.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

but really?

What you need is helmet mounted night vision.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 9:34:18 PM EDT
[#34]
You guys are killing me with this thread. SD has been a "grail" gun forever. The sad thing is I think it's too expensive but I fool myself by pissing away SD type money in smaller, more frequent purchases.

Damn you EE for sucking all my money away on things I don't even really need!

Link Posted: 4/14/2016 9:35:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

but really?

You're a bad influence
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 9:39:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

but really?

Add me to the want list.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 9:59:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

but really?

I should be a TPM Junior salesman with this thread.

2016 is the year of the H&K. 2017 may be the year of the NV.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 10:11:03 PM EDT
[#38]
EVERY year is the year of HK... Don't know what y'all been waitin for...
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 10:25:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
You guys are killing me with this thread. SD has been a "grail" gun forever. The sad thing is I think it's too expensive but I fool myself by pissing away SD type money in smaller, more frequent purchases.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I found myself doing the same thing. Buying the SD was one good way to put the kibosh on that.

Quoted:
Quoted:

You're a bad influence

He started it.

I started with ARs because that's what I was familiar with. Now that I've discovered HKs I have a verified sickness.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 10:26:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
EVERY year is the year of HK... Don't know what y'all been waitin for...
View Quote

Lol
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 11:04:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I found myself doing the same thing. Buying the SD was one good way to put the kibosh on that.

He started it.

I started with ARs because that's what I was familiar with. Now that I've discovered HKs I have a verified sickness.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

You're a bad influence

He started it.

That's me with cans and Nods
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 11:08:19 PM EDT
[#42]
Oh great, now I'm thinking about how to attach an IR laser to the SD.

If a group buy is possible I'm in for one. But let's get it done quick so I don't have time to talk myself into getting an MP5K along with the SD!

Link Posted: 4/14/2016 11:47:10 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Oh great, now I'm thinking about how to attach an IR laser to the SD.

If a group buy is possible I'm in for one. But let's get it done quick so I don't have time to talk myself into getting an MP5K along with the SD!
View Quote

Right there with you.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 12:11:57 AM EDT
[#44]
I forgot to mention earlier - the TPM SD being shot inside of a ~12' x 24' room made of CMUs with no hearing protection? Completely comfortable. Shooting this outside is going to be amazing. Apparently the RCM can is also pretty quiet.

No doubt quieter (and a hell of a lot lighter) than the washer-spacer-washer-spacer design from some other company that they were repairing.

I would really love to see the internals of all the different SD cans over the years.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 1:05:27 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Apparently the RCM can is also pretty quiet.
View Quote

It is.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 4:45:54 PM EDT
[#46]
Photos, for inspiration.

Happy Friday!
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 4:51:45 PM EDT
[#47]
Very nice. Also, that's a form of torture.

Talk about your optic mount. Does it mark up your receiver? Hold a zero?

Link Posted: 4/15/2016 4:54:25 PM EDT
[#48]
View Quote

This thread delivers
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 4:55:29 PM EDT
[#49]
The B&T mounts work good. Getting them level and secure is a bit of a chore, but once they're on there- they're on there! They hold zero fine. The only issue I have is with the screw over the case deflector rivet, it sticks down and on one of them, it hits just a little bit, but hasnt caused any issues.

They willl leave a horziontal scratch in the finish under the tabs, but I feel like once the scratches on there- you can take the mounts on and off 1,000 times and not do any more damage to the finish. Its a little horizontal line about 1/2" long right under the tabs, where the feet clamp down. Not a huge issue.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 5:01:04 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
The B&T mounts work good. Getting them level and secure is a bit of a chore, but once they're on there- they're on there! They hold zero fine. The only issue I have is with the screw over the case deflector rivet, it sticks down and on one of them, it hits just a little bit, but hasnt caused any issues.

They willl leave a horziontal scratch in the finish under the tabs, but I feel like once they're on there- you can take the mounts on and off 1,000 times and not do any more damage to the finish. Its a little horizontal line about 1/2" long right under the tabs, where the feet clamp down. Not a huge issue.
View Quote

Thanks. I'm usually not that worried about scratches and dings. But this gun will be different.
Page / 34
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top