Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 34
Link Posted: 7/4/2018 11:13:17 PM EDT
[#1]
I metered the TPM MP5SD at the ear and MIL STD today. Need a few days to write it up.
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 1:08:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I metered the TPM MP5SD at the ear and MIL STD today. Need a few days to write it up.
View Quote
I look forward to this. Any other suppressed 9mm make the trip with it?
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 2:05:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote
What length TPM can is that?
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 8:39:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote
The APC9 with Omega 9K
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 8:40:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote
Full size
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 10:23:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Full size
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Full size
Good
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 11:10:58 AM EDT
[#7]
The short 8” TPM suppressor is very quiet; I may have to buy the transitional 12” version also to see how quiet it can get.

https://youtu.be/4O9otdz4ODc
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 3:21:08 PM EDT
[#8]
One of these days my SD can is going to clear and Im going to build a SD
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 7:40:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Anyone ever compare the sound level with a regular MP5 and Octane 9 or Omega 9K can? I've got an Octane 9 with an Omega 9K on the way, but I only reload 147gr 9mm anyways. Wondering if I'll notice any sound difference between a MP5SD running 115gr or 124gr vs a suppressed MP5 running 147gr.
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 8:57:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The APC9 with Omega 9K
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The APC9 with Omega 9K
Excellent. That's what I wanted to hear.
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 9:21:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The APC9 with Omega 9K
View Quote
Be sure to get numbers without the 9K on so reduction numbers can be derived. Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 9:59:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Full size
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Full size
Wish you were closer - would love to see how my Curtis Tactical MP5SD can compares with the TPM can.
Link Posted: 7/6/2018 1:13:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Wish you were closer - would love to see how my Curtis Tactical MP5SD can compares with the TPM can.
View Quote
Same.

I also wish I had the TPMk can out of jail...
Link Posted: 7/6/2018 1:55:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Liemohn Manufacturing. A3 for transport & A2 at the range.
Link Posted: 7/6/2018 1:59:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Anyone ever compare the sound level with a regular MP5 and Octane 9 or Omega 9K can? I've got an Octane 9 with an Omega 9K on the way, but I only reload 147gr 9mm anyways. Wondering if I'll notice any sound difference between a MP5SD running 115gr or 124gr vs a suppressed MP5 running 147gr.
View Quote
I have a full size w/octane 9 and SD.  SD is quieter with 115gr or 124gr
Link Posted: 7/7/2018 10:02:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/7/2018 10:36:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Live now. Let me know your thoughts.

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2018/07/07/mp5sd-versus-apc9/
View Quote
What's the point of using 127 in the SD and 147 in the B&T? Seems like a waste of time.
Link Posted: 7/7/2018 10:41:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

What's the point of using 127 in the SD and 147 in the B&T? Seems like a waste of time.
View Quote
Can't shoot subs through the SD as the barrel is ported to slow supers down to subsonic. Shooting subsonic in the SD could damage the suppressor.

As bullets out of both guns will be subsonic leaving the muzzle of the can I think it's a fair comparison.
Link Posted: 7/7/2018 11:33:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Can't shoot subs through the SD as the barrel is ported to slow supers down to subsonic. Shooting subsonic in the SD could damage the suppressor.

As bullets out of both guns will be subsonic leaving the muzzle of the can I think it's a fair comparison.
View Quote
I dont want to get into that debate- as I don't believe that is the reason. Has more to do with energy and "lethality" in my opinion, than it does with poking holes in paper and using a microphone.

Point being, part of the MP5SD's "magic" is that ported barrel, so I would rather see him run 124gr (that the MP5 was built around) through both weapons, and see how the MP5SD stacks up against a more "modern" platform with a conventional silencer configuration.

Edit: And the MP5 Operator's Manual by Jim Schatz says not to use subsonic ammo, below 140gr in the SD, so 147 in both would be fine also.
Link Posted: 7/7/2018 11:49:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
You can shoot subs out of a SD, the internet rumor is that the round is so slow it will magically dribble out of the muzzle and stay in the can which is false.
Link Posted: 7/7/2018 11:56:24 AM EDT
[#21]
Looking forward to seeing the Omega 9k numbers compared, along with your subjective impressions.
Link Posted: 7/7/2018 12:49:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Looking forward to seeing the Omega 9k numbers compared, along with your subjective impressions.
View Quote
https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2018/07/07/mp5sd-versus-apc9/
Link Posted: 7/7/2018 1:03:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I dont want to get into that debate- as I don't believe that is the reason. Has more to do with energy and "lethality" in my opinion, than it does with poking holes in paper and using a microphone.

Point being, part of the MP5SD's "magic" is that ported barrel, so I would rather see him run 124gr (that the MP5 was built around) through both weapons, and see how the MP5SD stacks up against a more "modern" platform with a conventional silencer configuration.

Edit: And the MP5 Operator's Manual by Jim Schatz says not to use subsonic ammo, below 140gr in the SD, so 147 in both would be fine also.
View Quote
The 147 I have is subsonic. I can run 124 through both, I just figured the supersonic crack in the APC would make it not worthwhile.

No one else thought my TPM numbers were high?
Link Posted: 7/7/2018 1:10:20 PM EDT
[#24]
A word of caution: anyone who takes my data as gospel is a fool. I’m just a guy with observations.

I just want to be clear with everyone.
Link Posted: 7/7/2018 1:35:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
The 147 I have is subsonic. I can run 124 through both, I just figured the supersonic crack in the APC would make it not worthwhile.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, or you can run the 147 through both Jim Schatz, who wrote the MP5 manual (at least, the PDF copy I have on hand) says subsonic in the MP5SD doesn't net much of a gain in dB reduction, so I would think a 5-shot string of 147 through both, should be about as fair of a test as you could do between the 2 platforms.
Link Posted: 7/7/2018 4:17:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Yeah, or you can run the 147 through both Jim Schatz, who wrote the MP5 manual (at least, the PDF copy I have on hand) says subsonic in the MP5SD doesn't net much of a gain in dB reduction, so I would think a 5-shot string of 147 through both, should be about as fair of a test as you could do between the 2 platforms.
View Quote
I’ll rerun it as an update.
Link Posted: 7/7/2018 9:35:21 PM EDT
[#27]
I’m a little surprised. I thought the MP5SD would’ve performed better.
Link Posted: 7/7/2018 11:41:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
I need to inspect my gun and silencer.
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 11:56:44 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
Same
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 1:01:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
Sure you can, I have been doing it for years. The bullets are subsonic when they reach the suppressor, either way. The only issue is to have a proper locking piece to match the recoil impulse. This from G3Kurz - RIP.
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 3:55:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Sure you can, I have been doing it for years. The bullets are subsonic when they reach the suppressor, either way. The only issue is to have a proper locking piece to match the recoil impulse. This from G3Kurz - RIP.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good to know. Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 8:49:31 AM EDT
[#32]
There I was

Calling the ATF for the first time since this adventure

When I realized I dont even have my SD cans serial number written down anywhere

Complete fail
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 9:10:16 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
There I was

Calling the ATF for the first time since this adventure

When I realized I dont even have my SD cans serial number written down anywhere

Complete fail
View Quote
You'll get the hang of it eventually... my suggestion: Excel spreadsheet, with replacement cost, serial# and any important info about said item, ex: "SD can only fits specific guns, ser# XXX-XXX" (And I also note the date forms were mailed.)
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 9:22:59 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

You'll get the hang of it eventually... my suggestion: Excel spreadsheet, with replacement cost, serial# and any important info about said item, ex: "SD can only fits specific guns, ser# XXX-XXX" (And I also note the date forms were mailed.)
View Quote
Google sheets app, input all info from every gun and suppressor.
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 9:55:22 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
Well I made a copy of the CLEO form before sending it off to them

I just assumed that info was on there

Im surprised to see that it looks like its blocked out.

Which I really hope my dealer didnt drop the ball on getting the serial numbers on the other forms that went to the ATF

I remember reading the cans serial to him. I also remember that the cans info was kinda boogered up and made you look harder. It looks like they stamped one or two of the numbers twice because they didnt hit depth or something.

We both looked at it surprised they left it that way.

I use to have pics... but yeah, now I have a new phone

Oh wait I think I found the pics
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 2:35:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Bumpity bump

My SD can is STILL pending

Link Posted: 9/24/2018 1:15:30 AM EDT
[#37]
To all those who bought TPM SD guns- did any of you have issues with a crooked cocking tube or front sight not aligned?

Just curious.
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 7:27:10 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
To all those who bought TPM SD guns- did any of you have issues with a crooked cocking tube or front sight not aligned?

Just curious.
View Quote
Nope. Haven’t ever heard of those issues with TPM.
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 10:05:07 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Just curious.
View Quote
That's sad if so

Ill admit the markings on my SD can were not very impressive

My dealer and I both had to really look at it when doing the form 4

Maybe one day Ill get my SD can
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 10:34:27 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

In the HK forum about who to send a kit to, member said TPM had issues with cocking tubes and front sights not being straight. I had never heard of this until then.

Quoted:

They ended up having another smith fix the issues, my understanding is that they tried to get TPM to fix them first. I was told of this by people involved. I've heard of other issues as well. Most seem to be happy with them although when you are paying a premium for a clone you shouldn't have to deal with that.
Link
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 2:34:03 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

In the HK forum about who to send a kit to, member said TPM had issues with cocking tubes and front sights not being straight. I had never heard of this until then.

Link
View Quote
Only place Ive ever heard a ill word spoken about them

Ill regard it as a one off if even real
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 3:30:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
I’m going with this.
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 4:15:44 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

That's sad if so

Ill admit the markings on my SD can were not very impressive

My dealer and I both had to really look at it when doing the form 4

Maybe one day Ill get my SD can
View Quote
Their engraving is done by a well known engraving company that gets great reviews.

It's engraving on a can under a handguard - who cares?
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 5:35:54 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Their engraving is done by a well known engraving company that gets great reviews.

It's engraving on a can under a handguard - who cares?
View Quote
Yeah well they really fucked mine up then

Its seriously the worst engraving Ive ever seen

It looks like the can moved or something during the engraving process

Im not mad about it, its just not that great and hard to read
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 6:28:11 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote
Eh, as a pending Omega 9k owner, I thought your Omega numbers were quite good
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 5:02:47 PM EDT
[#46]
Finally handled a SD this weekend

Man

It kinda felt like a pig upfront compared to a 3 lug suppressed MP5

It seemed quite a bit quieter than other suppressed guns going off at the event, but it was honestly too hard to compare with all the gunfire going on
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 5:18:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Finally handled a SD this weekend

Man

It kinda felt like a pig upfront compared to a 3 lug suppressed MP5

It seemed quite a bit quieter than other suppressed guns going off at the event, but it was honestly too hard to compare with all the gunfire going on
View Quote
7.5lbs is the spec weight on a MP5SD. If I got a MP5, I would probably run my own supressor for that reson.

And people talk about smack if you build a PCC on the AR platform, saying that it is an AR trying to be a PDW. Okay. Well I can build a 9mm AR, suppress it and be under 5lbs easy. As short or shorter than a MP5SD.

If I do it with something like the CMMG Roller system, Im getting pretty golden now. Labels are labels.
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 5:26:16 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

7.5lbs is the spec weight on a MP5SD. If I got a MP5, I would probably run my own supressor for that reson.

And people talk about smack if you build a PCC on the AR platform, saying that it is an AR trying to be a PDW. Okay. Well I can build a 9mm AR, suppress it and be under 5lbs easy. As short or shorter than a MP5SD.

If I do it with something like the CMMG Roller system, Im getting pretty golden now. Labels are labels.
View Quote
Its gotta be from the cage that's throwing the center of gravity off a bit and making it feel quite a bit front heavier than regular MP5s

That said, man a AR9 just feels wrong to me when I shoot them. That's why I dont like them. They just feel harsh. Granted I have not used the CMMG roller system you mention
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 5:37:37 PM EDT
[#49]
I am looking forward to trying one  some day....
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 5:53:42 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link

Page / 34
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top