User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 34
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 9:56:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Awesome.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I actually saw TPM instagram your gun this afternoon before you posted, so I ran here to beat you to the punch.

Here's my Omega/TPM love child

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/147241/IMG_3409-315565.JPG
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 11:56:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Awesome.
View Quote
Now with more Form 1

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 1:43:41 PM EDT
[#3]
I’m seriously considering the MP5SD as my first sear host. Looking to pair an Omega clone with a SD suppressor. Seems like TPM is highly recommended... but the traditional 12” length or the new 8” suppressor length??
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 2:03:20 PM EDT
[#4]
I only have experience with the 12" suppressor, but that's the one I would go with. TPM's can is so lightweight that I don't think the length matters. Plus, my inner purist...

And the point of the SD, to me, is to be as quiet as possible in a semi auto host. I think the 12" makes the most sense unless you just really place a high priority on the length.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 3:07:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I think the 12" makes the most sense unless you just really place a high priority on the length.
View Quote
I think if the length was an issue, HK would have corrected it some time in the past 43 years... just a guess. I too am a fan of the standard 12" SD can.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 5:08:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I’m seriously considering the MP5SD as my first sear host. Looking to pair an Omega clone with a SD suppressor. Seems like TPM is highly recommended... but the traditional 12” length or the new 8” suppressor length??
View Quote
Somewhere I saw a post from the guys at TPM stating that it was very hard to tell the difference between
their short SD suppressor and the long one.  They were planning on doing some sound tests in the near future.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 7:10:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Somewhere I saw a post from the guys at TPM stating that it was very hard to tell the difference between
their short SD suppressor and the long one.  They were planning on doing some sound tests in the near future.  
View Quote
I have heard it in person, and yes, to the ear... it is identical. Both are very quiet.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 7:33:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I have heard it in person, and yes, to the ear... it is identical. Both are very quiet.
View Quote
So you couldn’t tell a difference? Indoors or outdoors?

Those guys just about convinced me to go with a full size but now I’m confused again lol
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 7:40:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Indoors.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 7:48:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Unless you want the pure/iconic look of the MP5SD, I’d go with the 8”.
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 6:31:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's impressive.
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 5:21:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
So what's the difference? Did they change the baffle construction/arrangement? Seems interesting to me that they can remove 1/3 of their volume and get the same reduction in sound.
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 5:42:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
So what's the difference? Did they change the baffle construction/arrangement? Seems interesting to me that they can remove 1/3 of their volume and get the same reduction in sound.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hoping for more info from BCV on this, but in my experience it's possible for short suppressors to sound just as good as long suppressors under some conditions, but in a variety of conditions the long suppressor is more consistently quiet. There's times I can't tell the difference between my K-PDW with Omega 9K and my SD, and there's other times my SD sounds *amazing* compared to the K-PDW. There's never a circumstance where the K-PDW sounds better than the SD.
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 8:45:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
Everything is the same, with some better and tighter tolerance differences, 2 baffles removed. Like I said, to the ear, they sound damn near identical indoors. Haven't shot one outdoors so I can't speak to that effect. Don't have a dB meter to measure them.

Matt at TPM was going to do some readings on them. Only thing left to do is thread the tubes and get them hard anodized.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 2:28:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Attachment Attached File

SD Clone With RCM Can.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 2:33:39 PM EDT
[#16]
My Omega has some pretty awful accuracy at 25 yards with the TPM can. Hopefully it's just shitty Prvi and UMC ammo.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 3:08:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Matt at TPM was going to do some readings on them. Only thing left to do is thread the tubes and get them hard anodized.  
View Quote
Saw a post from TPM saying that they metered it and the difference was only 2 or 3 DB.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 5:15:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
My Omega has some pretty awful accuracy at 25 yards with the TPM can. Hopefully it's just shitty Prvi and UMC ammo.
View Quote
Damn. My TPM is an absolute tack driver at 100 yards with Federal and Blazer.

Is there an O-ring installed for the can to snug against?
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 10:07:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Damn. My TPM is an absolute tack driver at 100 yards with Federal and Blazer.

Is there an O-ring installed for the can to snug against?
View Quote
Don't know.

Going to try some better ammo and shoot from a rest before I blame it on anything but the shooter at this point.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 10:20:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
FWIW, my Omega SD did not come with a Sealing Ring installed. It did come with some wacky looking washing/o-ring in a bag which looked like it might have fit, but I elected not to try to install it and ordered a genuine one from HK Parts.

Mine seems accurate enough with a Curtis Tactical can.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 3:32:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Everything is the same, with some better and tighter tolerance differences, 2 baffles removed. Like I said, to the ear, they sound damn near identical indoors. Haven't shot one outdoors so I can't speak to that effect. Don't have a dB meter to measure them.

View Quote
Itching to order one or the other.

Are those shooting impressions from the shooter’s ear? Or bystanders? I’m wondering if the action noise of the MP5 itself makes it hard to tell a noticeable difference... but an obvious one for others nearby.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 8:49:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
FWIW, my Omega SD did not come with a Sealing Ring installed. It did come with some wacky looking washing/o-ring in a bag which looked like it might have fit, but I elected not to try to install it and ordered a genuine one from HK Parts.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My Omega SD came with a sealing ring of some sort already installed at the trunnion. I have only tried it out with a fake can from titleiiarms.com and a standard locking piece. (I swapped out the SD locking piece for a standard mp5 type)

Accuracy seemed reasonable at 15-30’ . I only tried two 30 round mags. More of a function check of my new Omega SD.

I will report back when transfer of the TPM can happens. 

I bought a spare sealing ring from hkparts.net anyway.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 2:02:06 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm pretty sure mine already has a sealing ring.

Next time I'll shoot it from the bench to take more of the shooter out of the equation.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 6:47:57 PM EDT
[#24]

Hmmm. Testing soon.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 10:03:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Can you check if the franklin binary works on a mm23e and the mp5-10mm?
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 11:50:27 AM EDT
[#26]
I need this.  B&T Rail for the SD.

Someone locate one for me please?
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 1:34:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/83570/53E15736-BB89-446E-80D9-0763914489B6-336832.jpg

View Quote
ouch!!  

Now send me that trigger so I can test on my 10mm
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 1:09:13 AM EDT
[#28]
I owe @Engineer a big thanks for posting the recommendation for Curtis Tactical about 20 pages ago. I want to have my Sten turned into a Mk. II(S), an integrally silenced version of the Sten with a ported barrel, just like the MP5SD. Actually, I've read that the Sten Mk. II(S) was the first silenced SMG, which would make it the grandfather of the SD. Everyone on UziTalk recommended KGB Arms / Andy Blaschik, who carries a legendary reputation in the Sten / Sterling world, but his design uses a washer-spacer-washer arrangement. Everything else about it sounded perfect, but I just wasn't comfortable going with technology that old.

I emailed Curtis Tactical / Joseph Jones with a very specific list of criteria that I thought would make the perfect Sten silencer, and asked what he thought. 15 minutes later I had an email back from him saying he's already drawn up EXACTLY what I have in mind for his own Sten, and once I send a barrel and barrel nut his direction, he'll have a reason to go ahead and make one for himself and for me!

So in a few short decades when the ATF decides to approve some forms, I'll be the proud owner of what will probably be the quietest ever Sten Mk. II(S) courtesy of Curtis Tactical. I am STOKED, and I would have never heard about him if not for Engineer's post.

@goloud I need a Welrod to finish the trio of automatic, semi-automatic, and...manual. Any update on the B&T VP9? Cost, release date, actual baffles vs. wipes? Integrally suppress all the things!
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 7:06:27 AM EDT
[#29]
Joe is good people for sure.

I’ll ask about the VP9 again. I have hope.

Quoted:
I owe @Engineer a big thanks for posting the recommendation for Curtis Tactical about 20 pages ago. I want to have my Sten turned into a Mk. II(S), an integrally silenced version of the Sten with a ported barrel, just like the MP5SD. Actually, I've read that the Sten Mk. II(S) was the first silenced SMG, which would make it the grandfather of the SD. Everyone on UziTalk recommended KGB Arms / Andy Blaschik, who carries a legendary reputation in the Sten / Sterling world, but his design uses a washer-spacer-washer arrangement. Everything else about it sounded perfect, but I just wasn't comfortable going with technology that old.

I emailed Curtis Tactical / Joseph Jones with a very specific list of criteria that I thought would make the perfect Sten silencer, and asked what he thought. 15 minutes later I had an email back from him saying he's already drawn up EXACTLY what I have in mind for his own Sten, and once I send a barrel and barrel nut his direction, he'll have a reason to go ahead and make one for himself and for me!

So in a few short decades when the ATF decides to approve some forms, I'll be the proud owner of what will probably be the quietest ever Sten Mk. II(S) courtesy of Curtis Tactical. I am STOKED, and I would have never heard about him if not for Engineer's post.

@goloud I need a Welrod to finish the trio of automatic, semi-automatic, and...manual. Any update on the B&T VP9? Cost, release date, actual baffles vs. wipes? Integrally suppress all the things!
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 6:04:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/83570/53E15736-BB89-446E-80D9-0763914489B6-336832.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Does your shroud have the correct slot at 6 o'clock for that or will you have to drill n tap holes?

Quoted:
ouch!!

Worth every penny!
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 6:08:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Does your shroud have the correct slot at 6 o'clock for that or will you have to drill n tap holes?

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/259653/dwjnm9pt-109140.jpg

Worth every penny!
View Quote
Disregard. B&T.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 7:00:12 PM EDT
[#32]
... umm what?
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 7:46:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
... umm what?
View Quote
Couldn’t tell what rail it was at first.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 11:25:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Couldn’t tell what rail it was at first.
View Quote
Ahh. You still didn't answer my question
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 11:28:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
Awesome! Joe is really a great person to talk to and deal with. I think you'll be pretty happy with your new can ... when ATF finally lets you have it.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 1:17:56 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Ahh. You still didn't answer my question
View Quote
I need to check on the drilling/tapping.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 10:42:36 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I need to check on the drilling/tapping.
View Quote
Take your rubber SD handguard off, see if you have a slot at dead-center on the bottom. A lot of the US-made clones have ribs in the wrong spot, so you can't use the "rail" piece. Drilling/tapping wasnt too bad, as you cant see the 4 holes with either handguard installed, unless you take the suppressor off, and are specifically looking for it.
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 5:06:09 PM EDT
[#38]
So I scrolled through a lot of pages

Seems like one dude didn't think his SD sounded so great compared to his K

Another seems to think his SD is quite a bit quieter

So is the juice worth the squeeze?
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 5:47:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
So I scrolled through a lot of pages

Seems like one dude didn't think his SD sounded so great compared to his K

Another seems to think his SD is quite a bit quieter

So is the juice worth the squeeze?
View Quote
That’s something I’ve been banging my head trying to decide... and TPM 8” vs 12” offering. Seems like the 12” does offer more suppression... which for its intended purpose seems to fit better. Ugh... decisions are killing me.
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 6:14:05 PM EDT
[#40]
Kinda still up in the air about getting one too. Now I got my honey badger I kinda want to SD to complete the "old and new." Just wondering how much I want to spend.

I already have extra mags and parts and stocks so adding another Mp5 seems like I would save some on accessories..  Or at least how I want to justify it in my mind.
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 7:51:17 PM EDT
[#41]

It’s awesome.  I’m going to add the 8” can at some point.

It’s also quiet. Quieter than my B&T APC9 with subsonics.

Love my TPM. But I want a K. And a full size. And a Honey Badger.
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 10:17:09 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
But I want a K. And a full size.
View Quote
You know what you must do...

Link Posted: 10/31/2017 12:04:10 AM EDT
[#43]
Ya... I'm going to need you to rank them.

Which do you take shooting the most often?
I got PM'd by someone saying the MP5SD is cool but it wears off after a while since 147gr is comparable in sound from a suppressed full size or K gun. Apparently the frequent cleaning for a MP5SD gets old.

I've got an Octane 9 that I'm planning on keeping on a full size MP5 host... leaning heavily towards getting a Omega 9K for a SP5K or MP5K clone... and contemplating a MP5SD.
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 12:24:07 AM EDT
[#44]
1. MP5
2. MP5SD
3. MP5K

Also cleaning an SD isnt that bad. I dont feel like my cans need to be spotless either. Dirty cans sound better anyway
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 9:24:38 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Ya... I'm going to need you to rank them.

Which do you take shooting the most often?
I got PM'd by someone saying the MP5SD is cool but it wears off after a while since 147gr is comparable in sound from a suppressed full size or K gun. Apparently the frequent cleaning for a MP5SD gets old.

I've got an Octane 9 that I'm planning on keeping on a full size MP5 host... leaning heavily towards getting a Omega 9K for a SP5K or MP5K clone... and contemplating a MP5SD.
View Quote
This is my worry

Lots o' cash for something I kinda sorta already have
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 9:32:52 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
1. MP5
2. MP5SD
3. MP5K

Also cleaning an SD isnt that bad. I dont feel like my cans need to be spotless either. Dirty cans sound better anyway
View Quote
Why MP5 over MP5SD?
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 10:12:40 AM EDT
[#47]
No suppressor required. Lot of options if you have a threaded 3-lug barrel. MP5SD needs its own specific suppressor. Get MP5 first and your mags, spare parts, etc. Then if you get an SD down the road, you're already "there"
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 10:43:08 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Why MP5 over MP5SD?
View Quote
The SD scratches a very specific itch and requires a dedicated suppressor.

My list would have the SD at the bottom with a tossup between the "K" and the MP5 as 1 or 2 depending on what your needs/wants are.

Also - if you reload, you can tune a load to produce near SD-like performance without having $4K + 2 stamps sunk into a one trick pony.
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 12:56:55 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
My list would have the SD at the bottom with a tossup between the "K" and the MP5 as 1 or 2 depending on what your needs/wants are.
View Quote
I put MP5 at the top, because it's the most iconic of the trio. Classic MP5 profile with either A2 or A3 stock, anyone who knows a little about guns, knows what an MP5 is.
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 1:04:31 PM EDT
[#50]
Stop talking about guns I want.
Page / 34
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top