BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 34
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 1:51:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Once a parts kit is built, are the barrel threads accessible? Is the handgaurd as easy to remove as a standard MP5?

I guess I'm trying to figure out if I can have everything built except for the can, then form 1 a suppressor easily myself.
View Quote

Sure. As show in my pix above, I easily swap out KAC or HK can.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 1:56:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Once a parts kit is built, are the barrel threads accessible? Is the handgaurd as easy to remove as a standard MP5?

I guess I'm trying to figure out if I can have everything built except for the can, then form 1 a suppressor easily myself.

I figured you could drop in the can and thread it on and off, but I was wondering if I will have access to the threads for measurements, etc. I guess I could build the can before sending off the kit to get built.

Did you grab one off of HKParts? Why not just buy two. I'll hold one for you.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 2:13:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I figured you could drop in the can and thread it on and off, but I was wondering if I will have access to the threads for measurements, etc. I guess I could build the can before sending off the kit to get built.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not very accessible. SeeHK94Dude unfinished pic. While the HG comes off, the metal shroud is welded in.

BBLS - I did buy two. :-)
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 2:22:41 PM EDT
[#4]

The barrel threads would be a pain to get at

Link Posted: 2/8/2016 4:57:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The barrel threads would be a pain to get at

<a href="http://s92.photobucket.com/user/HK94dude/media/6afb947a.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l30/HK94dude/6afb947a.jpg</a>

View Quote

That's what I was thinking. Thanks for the pic.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 9:31:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
These guys are suppose to make very nice MP5.  

http://www.tpmoutfitters.net/apps/webstore/

View Quote

I have a TPM SD and it is great. Fit and finish is perfect. Runs like a champ. TPM was great to deal with too. Mine is one of the first SD's made by them.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 10:16:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Have a Coharie MP5SD, Dave Getz MP5 and BMP MP5K. They took a bit of tinkering and tuning to be 100% reliable in SA and FA but I love them dearly. Highly recommend.

The threads and barrel can be a pain to clean. Getting one of these helps:

HK Parts MP5SD cleaning brush

Coharie Arms MP5SD & Coharie SD can 9MM
GSG5 SBR 22LR
GSG5K (reverse stretch style) SBR 22LR

Dave Getz MP5 with Swiss Impulse IIA 9mm & 3 lug adapter 9MM
Coharie Arms MP5SD & Coharie SD can 9MM
Black Market Parts MP5K & Gemtech MK9K 9MM

Current production clones worth looking at:
Ghillie Bear
Turner Fab
Dakota

Have heard good things about the Atlantic Firearms offerings.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 10:40:00 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't think there is a subgun/carbine more sexy than the MP5.

Thanks for all the pics and information. Looking forward to getting this project started.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 10:50:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Thanks for all the pics and information. Looking forward to getting this project started.
View Quote

More inspiration. Not an SD, but still my absolute favorite gun.

When I got it:

Now:

It gets quiet, too:
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 11:25:41 PM EDT
[#10]
I think I'd wait to see what MKE offers for an SD (if they go through with it).
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:35:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

I think I'd buy a SD suppressor now and get that ball rolling, and then have a gun built around it. I was in the other boat, of having the gun, but no Form 4 for suppressor.. Was fun to look at for a few months though..
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:38:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

How about triplets, with a UMP for added bonus?!
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:41:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I think I'd buy a SD suppressor now and get that ball rolling, and then have a gun built around it. I was in the other boat, of having the gun, but no Form 4 for suppressor.. Was fun to look at for a few months though..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm leaning towards starting a Forn 1 can first. Then buying/have one built.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:43:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Not helping. Getting all worked up.

Quoted:

<a href="http://s114.photobucket.com/user/gopherboy128/media/20151217_120246_zpsxpxvla31.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n266/gopherboy128/20151217_120246_zpsxpxvla31.jpg</a>

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s114.photobucket.com/user/gopherboy128/media/20151217_120246_zpsxpxvla31.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n266/gopherboy128/20151217_120246_zpsxpxvla31.jpg</a>

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 11:15:09 AM EDT
[#15]
This thread makes me hard
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 11:38:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
This thread makes me hard
View Quote

Morning wood for sure
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 8:55:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Bump. Only because I like talking about owning an SD one day...

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 9:34:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 9:48:08 AM EDT
[#19]

Reverse stretch SD? Yours? Very nice.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 10:40:45 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

MP5SD-K, lol! Definitely unique!
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 11:26:12 PM EDT
[#21]
So the "flats" are basically like an 80% lower.  You have to build it (put the bends in and weld it) and then it becomes a receiver.

The Parts kit is basically a full MP5 that just has had the receiver removed (HKparts talks about "demilling" it, so I assume was once a complete gun and they destroy the receiver)?

If you build one of these, and then one day get a registered HK trigger group, that is how you get a full auto MP5?
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 11:30:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
http://www.rdts.com/Img50.gif]http://www.rdts.com/Img50.gif]
View Quote

RDTS made MP5K - SDs back in the early 90s.  Don't know if they're still around.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 11:42:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Innovative Arms recently posted a video of a MP5SD they did in their industry subforum page. Think it's a 40cal version. No clue costs or what all they are offering. But they have been doing integrals for a few platforms including the sig MPX and apparently the MP5 as well.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 7:43:25 AM EDT
[#24]
Bump. Just because I'm still planning.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 3:32:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Here's one of RDTS Mp5SD I had done back in 1992. Man it's been a long time. At that time Ralph had to grind down the Locking Piece as there went many LP's around. I finally picked up a factory LP. The gun has always shot 110%. Purchased the Dealer sample in 1991 for $1600 and added the SD kit from him for around $800

Doesn't own me a thing.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 4:43:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Awesome
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 5:02:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 7:01:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Man...I'd love to send mine to change a barrel with either 3 lugs or threaded, so I can put a muffler on it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

More inspiration. Not an SD, but still my absolute favorite gun.

When I got it:
http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd519/generalpurpose87/MP5/DSCN3170_zps41ntogwr.jpg

Now:
http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd519/generalpurpose87/MP5/DSCN3226u_zps3j0zpk5v.jpg

It gets quiet, too:
http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd519/generalpurpose87/MP5/DSCN3225u_zpszkjhxwri.jpg

Man...I'd love to send mine to change a barrel with either 3 lugs or threaded, so I can put a muffler on it.

Do it.

I've only shot my MP5 suppressed. No idea what it sounds like unsuppressed.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 7:18:43 PM EDT
[#29]
With the ported barrel, is all 9mm ammo subsonic? Anyone have any ammo go supersonic?

If it's hit or miss, I'm going to go for the reverse stretch K option, since I have an Octane ready to 3-lug.

If virtually all ammo stays subsonic, I'm going to press on.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 8:13:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 8:16:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 8:37:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

All go subsonic for me.  I use either 115 or 124...124 preferably.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
With the ported barrel, is all 9mm ammo subsonic? Anyone have any ammo go supersonic?

If it's hit or miss, I'm going to go for the reverse stretch K option, since I have an Octane ready to 3-lug.

If virtually all ammo stays subsonic, I'm going to press on.

All go subsonic for me.  I use either 115 or 124...124 preferably.

Thank you.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 9:00:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
 The idea of upper K sitting at HK gunsmith for several months is not really appealing to me.
 I might get over that fear and Dooo etttt...
View Quote

Is there really that bad of a backlog? I feel like you could send it off to one of the bigger names that specialize in HK stuff and have it back in a couple weeks, but I've never sent mine out for anything. I bet the HKPro folks know who could set you up quickly.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 10:22:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 11:44:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 2/20/2016 6:49:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Light attachment options are weak for the SD... Such a great defensive gun, but it needs a light.
Link Posted: 2/20/2016 7:07:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Brethren Arms:

http://brethrenarms.com/the-mp5-sd-integral-suppression-it-has-a-purpose-but-its-not-what-you-think/
The MP5 SD & integral suppression; it has a purpose, but its not what you think

Industry news
1 Comment
IMG_1348

The SD is without a doubt one of the coolest firearms in history. Whether it was in your favorite ‘Merica 80’s action film, a SEAL recruitment poster, or seeing it blast Iranians in Operation Nimrod,this gun has become a “bucket list” item for some people. And why not? Its horribly cool looking, Jedi quiet, and theintegral suppressor makes it the most compact platform with which to lay hate.  Or does it?58Embassy_7

The MP5SD was developed by Heckler & Koch in 1976, at the request of military units who needed an incredibly quiet firearm but with all the performance capabilities not possible with suppressed pistols. The SD was a revolutionary concept because it allowed readily available standard NATO supersonic 9mm ammo, and still achieved subsonic performance.

It did so by porting the barrel at the base, which allowed gas into the two stage silencer. The first portion is an expansion chamber that reduced the volume of propellant gas  pushing the round. This gas then entered the silencer portion for the rest of the work.

Patent_DE1553874_07-Oct-1971_Handfeuerwaffe_mit_Schalldaempfer_Heckler_und_Koch

The porting reduced the velocity of the round by up to 25%. For you math people out there, you have probably realized that it also means the energy of the round was reduced, which due to the physics involved, means that a 25% reduction in velocity results in the kinetic energy being cut in half.

Original patent drawing from Germany

sd barrelThose that have used this gun in harm’s way will attest to the SD’s lack of stopping power; which in those situations is addressed by holding the trigger down until your target is sufficiently ventilated.

So the entire purpose of the gun was to get noise reduction performance on par with standard silencers using subsonic ammo, but with ammunition that was readily available in a war zone.

Now, fast forward 30 years, and replace a strategic military group with a regular civilian, or even a police agency. The price difference between 115 gr Blazer brass and 147 gr Speer Lawman (a subsonic round) is only about 5 cents a round, and readily available. Additionally, bullet manufacturing has drastically improved reliability and performance of 147 gr rounds, which was admitably quite a feat in the middle of the 20th century. So that initial need that drove production is all but gone for most buyers in the U.S.

Modern Equivalents

So how does the SD stack up to modern options? We will use the Griffin Revolution 9 silencer for this comparison, because it is a well built silencer, the tri-lug adapter adds no additional length, and we like those guys over there; they’re former co-workers in a fairly crappy part of the world.

GAREV9-4

The average dB rating of the SD is about 127 dB. Out of our BAP9C with the Griffin silencer and using subsonic loads we have witnessed dB levels between 124-135 dB depending the ammo brand.

Even in the worst case, it is less than a 10 dB difference. That is still significant, as the dB rating is not a linear but logarithmic scale; very loosely speaking a 10dB difference would be about twice as loud. From a comparison standpoint OSHA compares a 130 dB sound to a thunder clap, and a 140 dB sound to a jet 100 ft overhead (a fairly useless comparison as both result in hearing damage.)

Skipping any further nerdery on the subject; it is suffice to say they are comparable, as long as subsonic 9mm is used. But not on the SD. Because it probably wont be able to cycle the next round. Yeah, forgot to mention that; using subsonic ammo in the SD will not help much in the sound suppression department, but it will almost certaintly lead to a malfunction.

There is more to consider than just sound; lets look at what happens in front of the muzzle. a 147 grain delivers on average about 10% less kinetic energy than a 115 gr bullet, assuming everything else is identical. But don’t forget,  the aforementioned velocity reduction leads to a 50% reduction in energy on target. Again, for comparison, a .380 ACP averages about 20% more energy than what is coming out of the SD.

hqdefault

Still stronger than your SD

Ballistic improvements have made the 9mm round useful again, but all those advancements become useless when the round is slowed down that much. All those super cool, exploding, DNA erasing rounds need that velocity to expand, liquefy, vaporize etc. on target. The velocity is a crucial component in any terminal ballistic design; it is not something that can be changed without a massive performance impact.

Other Important Dimensions

we have already poked some holes into the lure of the SD, but we at Brethren Arms are not ones to stop beating the horse until it is undeniably dead. As stated above, another great aspect of the SD was its comparable size to unsuppressed submachine guns. So lets do it by the numbers:

MP5SD          BAP9C w/ Griffin Revolution9

weight                                       6.2 lbs                 5.5 lbs

Overall length                         21.7?                   21.3?

( end cap only, no stock)

Keep in mind that those values are with the silencer, so if the world is ending, and you have already blown out your ear drums, with a twist of the wrist your gun now weighs 4.8 lbs and is only 13.7? long.

Its not a clear victory from a dimensional standpoint; the SD does have both a longer sight radius and more front end real estate for accuracy. However, the addition of optics and a variety of foregrips does diminish those advantages. Which brings us to the final fact to consider; modularity. With AR-15s being so modular that “light weight polymer dust cover” is a legitimate product, we  have realized that some of those accessories are pretty useful and even lifeIMG_2010 saving. Even with our Mlok handguard winning the title of shortest handguard in existence, There is still enough space to put a vertical foregrip, a flashlight, and even a laser, quick detach sling mount, pencil sharpener, etc.

The SD handguard currently has to be welded to the receiver, and the only ergonomic upgrade is a rubber sleeve which loosely resembles a bicycle tire. We can add light and foregrip mounts, but it is a custom and frankly pricey modification. Without a welder and an engineering degree, this is what your SD looks like when you want to be able to use a light.

fixsdxy5

Yes, those are hose clamps on a gun that retails close to $4000. If this was your issued gun, you could care less. But as a regular consumer, it ventures into buying-a-mercedes-and-putting-walmart-hubcaps-on territory. To be fair, there are some other options for mounting lights, but better is relative in this instance

- See more at: http://brethrenarms.com/the-mp5-sd-integral-suppression-it-has-a-purpose-but-its-not-what-you-think/#sthash.kqSnszEz.dpuf
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 4:00:37 AM EDT
[#38]
Regular ArfComer here in CT has a dealer sample 1972 with the 4 position lower.

115g plinking ammo....... Sounds like a paintball gun.  

https://instagram.com/p/00ISZ_BQlU/
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 6:09:05 PM EDT
[#39]
TPM will sell the SD without the suppressor for $3K.

I'm thinking that Form 1ing a shorter/larger diameter suppressor (diameter increase after the HG) would be fun.
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 6:28:04 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Light attachment options are weak for the SD... Such a great defensive gun, but it needs a light.
View Quote

this works well

http://store.commandarms.com/products/HX3SD.html
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 7:25:55 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

this works well

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

this works well

Oh, very nice. Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 7:36:56 PM EDT
[#42]
B&T handguard works good too- but you have to drill and tap the cage for the scews.
Link Posted: 2/28/2016 8:43:42 AM EDT
[#43]
Still in the decision phase MP5SD or Integral MPX from Innovative Arms.

o

While we wait:

Link Posted: 3/4/2016 5:48:24 PM EDT
[#44]
Settled on the SD. Saving my pennies.
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 6:03:33 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/4/2016 6:30:40 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Settled on the SD. Saving my pennies
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/4/2016 6:30:52 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

Awesome. I think that's the only way to truly scratch that itch. There's nothing like an MP5, cost be damned. I would sell every one of my ARs before my PDW.
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 6:39:55 PM EDT
[#48]
Ha. Thanks Gents. I'll have to thrive on the anticipation since this will be my one NFA purchase for the year.
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 7:11:16 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Ha. Thanks Gents. I'll have to thrive on the anticipation since this will be my one NFA purchase for the year.
View Quote

Haha, wishful thinking on your part! I know who your dealer is and the stuff he pushes is more addictive than crack lol..

Link Posted: 3/4/2016 7:14:52 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Haha, wishful thinking on your part! I know who your dealer is and the stuff he pushes is more addictive than crack lol..

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was there today.
Page / 34
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top