Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 101
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 7:57:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Found this thread thru some googling...

I have a 12.5 gov barrel FSP/FSB w/bayo lug (BKings which I'm sure is rebranded Ballistic Advantage) and I'm looking to Gordon it.

I like the look of the short collar tuck up against the FSP and I'm wondering if anyone makes a short collar that would work with my bayo lug. If I have gunsmiff it off, I'm fine with that but would prefer to keep it.

Any suggestions???

Probably going to pick up OCM5 here in the near future and saw their SPR collar but was unsure if it would fit up snug against the FSP.
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 10:19:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ramblinscooner:

I have a 12.5 gov barrel FSP/FSB w/bayo lug (BKings which I'm sure is rebranded Ballistic Advantage) and I'm looking to Gordon it.

I like the look of the short collar tuck up against the FSP and I'm wondering if anyone makes a short collar that would work with my bayo lug. If I have gunsmiff it off, I'm fine with that but would prefer to keep it.

Any suggestions???

Probably going to pick up OCM5 here in the near future and saw their SPR collar but was unsure if it would fit up snug against the FSP.
View Quote

What you are seeking is a custom collar direct from Ron.  

This is a BKings upper and is the closet you'll get without shaving the bayonet lug.

https://imgur.com/j5es3Ga
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 11:15:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By stainlineho:

This is a BKings upper and is the closet you'll get without shaving the bayonet lug.

https://i.imgur.com/j5es3Ga.jpg

View Quote

What are my options if I cut the lug off?
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 9:27:00 AM EDT
[#4]

What are my options if I cut the lug off?
View Quote

Not sure if I can provide the best answer but based on the math for an AEM5 and 12.5" barrel, seating the collar back any further than the picture I posted would give way too many turns where the muzzle brake could likely come into contact with the baffles in the can.  

Someone else can chime in but I'd think you'd need to cut the barrel down a bit to get it seated up against the FSP.
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 11:27:54 AM EDT
[#5]
The reason I ask is because I have seen members on here previously with 12.5 barrels and collars that sit flush with the site tower.
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 11:38:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: lsujim] [#6]
The reason I ask is because I have seen members on here previously with 12.5 barrels and collars that sit flush with the site tower.
View Quote

I believe you're thinking of "Gordon" collars. k31user makes them and your barrel needs to be 12.7" and reprofiled to fit.

Link Posted: 3/10/2023 1:37:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 2:04:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 3:23:16 PM EDT
[#9]
No I understand what the gordon collar is. Otter Creek is about to release a version that is compatible with a 12.5 barrel.

There are members in this thread (albeit from 2016 or some year) that had a short collar added that is flush to the site tower. I have seen it on 9 Hole Reviews as well, but I understand that is a custom collar. I believe one version is on page ~36.
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 3:33:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: stainlineho] [#10]
No I understand what the gordon collar is. Otter Creek is about to release a version that is compatible with a 12.5 barrel.

There are members in this thread (albeit from 2016 or some year) that had a short collar added that is flush to the site tower. I have seen it on 9 Hole Reviews as well, but I understand that is a custom collar. I believe one version is on page ~36.
View Quote

I knew what you meant and I had an idea you were thinking about something like the 9 Hole reviews rifle when they released that video however long ago.  With that collar they have, I have no clue how many turns they were getting on that AEM5.  It had to be way too many if it was truly a 12.5" barrel because I got about 9 turns on the rifle in the pic I posted.
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 7:38:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By stainlineho:

https://i.imgur.com/j5es3Ga.jpg

View Quote

What sling you running? Bfg?
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 9:30:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By bimmertech87:

What sling you running? Bfg?
View Quote

Correct, purchased used from reddit GAFS
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 9:23:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SchlaffTablett] [#13]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

This is one that we did in ‘19 that was posted earlier in this thread. The collar was something Ron had laying around that I was able to make work with this barrel. If he doesn’t have another one, it won’t be hard to make one.

Link Posted: 3/16/2023 2:00:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By SchlaffTablett:

This is one that we did in ‘19 that was posted earlier in this thread. The collar was something Ron had laying around that I was able to make work with this barrel. If he doesn’t have another one, it won’t be hard to make one.

View Quote

Damn.  That looks great!  I didn't know that was an option.

You guys do good work!
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 4:20:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Larue Stealth 2.0 upper/handguard - dumped the MI rail.  Overall much more robust and rigid.

Link Posted: 3/17/2023 12:26:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Subpar:

Damn.  That looks great!  I didn't know that was an option.

You guys do good work!
View Quote

Thanks, man. We try to pull one out every now and again. I just built a mini Mk12 for myself today for an LPVO class I’m taking in a couple weeks. I’ll post that up as soon as I get the glass on it and bore sighted tomorrow.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 5:08:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 10:24:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Shlouf:

https://i.imgur.com/iF6msfD.jpg
View Quote

She’s a beaut Clark! Pumped for mine!

I have an old aem5 that I didn’t get knurling on, when that was an option, kinda regret it now. Is it possible to add knurling?
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 5:44:05 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Rothperson87:

I have an old aem5 that I didn’t get knurling on, when that was an option, kinda regret it now. Is it possible to add knurling?
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/462226/68D0DAE8-50C8-489A-B44C-CA77B62A80A4_jpe-2752556.JPG
View Quote

Per Ron, it’s not.
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 7:09:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Rothperson87:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/462226/68D0DAE8-50C8-489A-B44C-CA77B62A80A4_jpe-2752556.JPG
View Quote

Spray paint makes it less obvious it's not there.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 9:54:49 AM EDT
[#21]

-Mike
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 7:06:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Ron, did i see somewhere that the coating on the M4 cans are cerakote? i want to try to match that greenish brown color the previous batches were once i can get my hands on it
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 12:24:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Has anyone been able to get in contact with Ron recently? Last I heard from him was on Feb 26 where he asked me for barrel dimensions so he could make the Gordon collar & inserts.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 3:38:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By jareds06:
Has anyone been able to get in contact with Ron recently? Last I heard from him was on Feb 26 where he asked me for barrel dimensions so he could make the Gordon collar & inserts.
View Quote

Call me at the shop or send another email. I thought I was caught up with collars but I guess not.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 7:05:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jareds06] [#25]
Originally Posted By k31user:

Call me at the shop or send another email. I thought I was caught up with collars but I guess not.
View Quote

Email sent! Thank you sir
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 12:47:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dockbox] [#26]
double post
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 12:49:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dockbox] [#27]

Any suggestions???

View Quote

https://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=123&t=779550&tl=Gordon-carbine-build-help

19Charlie Tactical does great work.  He fit a colar for a  Noveske 12.5 CHF  FSB  barrel for me.  An example of his work is in 9holes Reviews video about the Gordon Carbine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=um5S-puO7_A
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 7:09:46 PM EDT
[#28]

I AM SO FREAKING EXCITED.
That is all.
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 9:42:07 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 5:34:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Samson-Dogg] [#30]

Who fitted the inner collar to your barrel?
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 5:57:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Samson-Dogg:

View Quote

Ron did. Super fast turnaround. Like a week i think.
Technically 2 barrels.

Link Posted: 3/31/2023 1:13:51 PM EDT
[#32]
That looks amazing. I kinda want to do something similar being c7 uppers are so hard / expensive to get a hold of.
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 7:54:59 PM EDT
[#33]

well... "it really does exist!" haha i am beyond stoked for this.

Ron, how long is that joker? my dealer filled out the paperwork and it says 9.8" that seems a tad short...
also Ron, this should work with a standard spr collar correct? Im planning out a 20" build and dont need the 3 piece for it, and i just so happen to have a spare spr collar laying around.
also, Thank you!
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 1:15:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Brandonbeezy:

Technically 2 barrels.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/517593/20230329_174408-2763169.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/517593/20230329_202353-2764279.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Technically 2 barrels.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/517593/20230329_174408-2763169.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/517593/20230329_202353-2764279.jpg

Thanks. I'll probably do my own. I hate bothering him although I do need to call him on another matter. I have a surplus 723 I bought specifically for the Gordon can. I actually got the can long before the rifle.
I also have 2 AEM5'S that are not knurled. I thought about using my laser to put a knurling pattern on them but Now I think its cool to have those that way. Not to mention outside of the AEM5's I have in inventory I have 4 knurled AEM5's in my personal stuff so I would never change the 2 smooth ones now.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 2:41:35 PM EDT
[#35]
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/517593/AE_M4_-_1_-2765475.jpg
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/517593/AE_M4_-_2_-2765476.jpg

well... "it really does exist!" haha i am beyond stoked for this.

Ron, how long is that joker? my dealer filled out the paperwork and it says 9.8" that seems a tad short...
also Ron, this should work with a standard spr collar correct? Im planning out a 20" build and dont need the 3 piece for it, and i just so happen to have a spare spr collar laying around.
also, Thank you!
View Quote

It's a long fucker. Our 20" are gonna be muskets to the fullest
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 5:05:37 PM EDT
[#36]

Thanks. I'll probably do my own. I hate bothering him although I do need to call him on another matter. I have a surplus 723 I bought specifically for the Gordon can. I actually got the can long before the rifle.
I also have 2 AEM5'S that are not knurled. I thought about using my laser to put a knurling pattern on them but Now I think its cool to have those that way. Not to mention outside of the AEM5's I have in inventory I have 4 knurled AEM5's in my personal stuff so I would never change the 2 smooth ones now.
View Quote

Pencil barrel? I had originally planned to run my colt 6520 but the barrel diameter was smaller than his blanks start at by only a couple thousands..

Originally Posted By CMCctx:

It's a long fucker. Our 20" are gonna be muskets to the fullest
View Quote

Im thinking it wont be an old-school build. Probably some tano bits and some fde mixed in.. i wanna run the midwest industries handguard at like 18" i think and have it over top of the suppressor. Man that thing is gonna be sexy. Idk which stock. Maybe the ace fixed rifle length
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 6:08:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Question for y’all:

I kinda want to take this 14.5 SOCOM down, use a tapered gas block and shorten this guy.

My problem is I still need more rail length for clip on usage.

Could I make this work while still using a 10” handguard?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 6:29:24 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By nmxdavenn:
Question for y’all:

I kinda want to take this 14.5 SOCOM down, use a tapered gas block and shorten this guy.

My problem is I still need more rail length for clip on usage.

Could I make this work while still using a 10” handguard?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/478694/EDD9B95C-C95D-405D-AF93-62705A280D47_jpe-2768239.JPG
View Quote

Thinking it over, I’m inclined to do a 12.5 Pri and tuck it.

I don’t care about shooting it without a can, and it’s not a mag dump gun.

What do the experts think?
Link Posted: 4/5/2023 9:23:17 PM EDT
[#39]
I am also trying to get a collar from Ron. I am trying to do a 100% "clone correct" Gordon build and Ron is asking for dimensions from the barrel. Problem is, I do not have the barrel yet. Is there a "standard" dimension I can give him for a Gordon build?
Link Posted: 4/5/2023 9:52:47 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By brennon272:
I am also trying to get a collar from Ron. I am trying to do a 100% "clone correct" Gordon build and Ron is asking for dimensions from the barrel. Problem is, I do not have the barrel yet. Is there a "standard" dimension I can give him for a Gordon build?
View Quote

There's variance in barrels.  You won't know until you have it in hand.  

Also, don't use calipers of dubious quality when you measure.  The collar is supposed to fit tight.  So tight that the roll markings own the barrel will need to be stoned down.
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 12:17:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Subpar:
The collar is supposed to fit tight.  So tight that the roll markings own the barrel will need to be stoned down.
View Quote

As seen in this pic posted earlier.
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 2:28:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: brennon272] [#42]
Is it possible to just send Ron the barrel and have him make/install the collar?
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 2:59:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Subpar] [#43]
Is it possible to just send Ron the barrel and have him make/install the collar?
View Quote

A couple of us have done just that.  Give him a call and see if he’s willing to help.
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 4:34:20 PM EDT
[#44]
View Quote

Truly seems like the best idea from a cost /benefit standpoint
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 6:03:17 PM EDT
[#45]
View Quote

That's what I did.

Turned out great.
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 7:16:44 PM EDT
[#46]
What is the appropriate barrel spec for a clone Gordon build? 14.5 cut down to 12.7?
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 7:54:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Saw a pic today I'd never seen before. This was in a Facebook clone group, posted by someone at AMU.

Prototype mk12
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 8:15:21 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By KavonTN:
Saw a pic today I'd never seen before. This was in a Facebook clone group, posted by someone at AMU.

Prototype mk12
https://i.imgur.com/sYwSpDg.jpeg
View Quote

@beast_master_actual

You're up, bud.
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 8:18:11 PM EDT
[#49]
What is the appropriate barrel spec for a clone Gordon build? 14.5 cut down to 12.7?
View Quote

Which can are you using?  AEM5 or M4?
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 8:24:27 PM EDT
[#50]
I have an extra AEM5, I bought it because I thought that was what was used on it (the ops core model), but turns out I was wrong. Is there any difference other than being slightly shorter?
Page / 101
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top