BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 101
Link Posted: 7/24/2020 7:53:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: KavonTN] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By india13c:
Please pardon my ignorance, but what is actually involved in getting an M4 collar made for a non Colt barrel?
View Quote

I've called Ron in the past and he asked for the necessary measurements of your barrel. That's pretty much it. Easy peasy.

Edit: I think it was distance from shoulder to step, diameter near shoulder, and diameter near step
Link Posted: 7/24/2020 2:41:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By KavonTN:

I've called Ron in the past and he asked for the necessary measurements of your barrel. That's pretty much it. Easy peasy.

Edit: I think it was distance from shoulder to step, diameter near shoulder, and diameter near step
View Quote

Bare muzzle to step length
Link Posted: 7/25/2020 3:05:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Just stumbled across this video on YouTube. Pretty good comparison of a few ops cans.
Ops Inc suppressor comparison
Link Posted: 7/25/2020 3:59:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Had a fairly cool LMT/Vltor/AE project come through the shop.
Took a CSW upper, chopped the top so a Centurion barrel and Vltor gas block would fit, then contoured the barrel for an AEM5 can.

Link Posted: 7/26/2020 10:23:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SpyHawk] [#5]
Originally Posted By Rothperson87:
Just stumbled across this video on YouTube. Pretty good comparison of a few ops cans.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePhVVeTE2Cs
View Quote

I've shot a Mk12 SPR with 12th model (actually it was an AEM5) suppressor side by side with my 15th model (Ops branded, NOT an AEM3) on a 16" rifle gas gun and you could tell the difference between the two, clear as day.

Link Posted: 7/26/2020 12:18:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By SpyHawk:

I've shot a Mk12 SPR with 12th model (actually it was an AEM5) suppressor side by side with my 15th model (Ops branded, NOT an AEM3) on a 16" rifle gas gun and you could tell the difference between the two, clear as day.

View Quote

Yeah tough to tell on video. I’m thinking about an AEM2 or 3 for a mini recce build. The M4M (AEM2) impressed me in the video for how small it is but again tough to really hear in video. Is your AEM3 hearing safe? What’s it sound like compared to the AEM5? AEM5 is the only can I have that doesn’t ring my ears...
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 2:06:34 PM EDT
[#7]
AEM3 is around 6db louder than an AEM5 when measured on a bolt gun.  133 db average on the AEM5, 139 db av on the AEM3.

RonA
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 2:37:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Would it be possible to design an extended flash hider mount for a 14.5” P&W  that puts the muzzle break and mount where it would be on a 15.1”?
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 3:03:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rothperson87] [#9]
Originally Posted By k31user:
AEM3 is around 6db louder than an AEM5 when measured on a bolt gun.  133 db average on the AEM5, 139 db av on the AEM3.

RonA
View Quote

Beautiful! Thanks Ron. Any numbers on the AEM2? Safe to assume around 3db difference between each model?
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 9:14:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jeremywills] [#10]
The day I've been finally waiting for.  Got the call yesterday my AEM5 was in but it was too late to head out there.  With that hurricane rolling into south Texas yesterday I was afraid today we might get a bunch of rain up here in San Antonio.  Not the case.  Spent a quiet Sunday morning playing with my now jailed AEM5.  Ho Lee Chit.  It really does sound amazing.  Now I understand what all the hype is about. Definitely worth the wait. Thank you Ron.   Sadly it has to stay there for a while but at least my jailed R2 has a cellmate.  It will be visited frequently.

Glad I got up early and had the bay to myself for almost an hour before other shooters forced me to put ears back on.  This thing sounds as good as it looks.

I'm happy the gap between the rail and can isn't too bad.  I hadn't planned this but the Allen Tactical stitching happening to be in the frame I thought was kinda neat when I realized it looking at the pictures later.

I'm happy I decided to do my own thing.  Not a clone but definitely MKish inspired.  As you can see I opted for the Spikes muzzle brake instead of the typical brake to be a bit different.  I'm liking it so far. I got exactly 7 and a half turns on the can till it hit the taper so no issues there which I was worried about.

Remembered to get a clean blast baffle pic this time before I can never get a shot like this again.  

No end cap or baffle strikes fortunately.  Did the eyeball test and it looked good from the chamber end so I decided to send it.  Didn't shoot more than 40 rounds today and wasn't shooting the best ammo either. I need to get some of the correct 77 grain stuff and then see what it can really do but so far I'm pleased with the initial results I was getting.  Stupidly forgot to snap a shot of the target down range.

Felt great to have a nice quiet Sunday morning with some of my toys at the range.

Gangs all here.  Sad I can't bring em all home with me right now.

Sorry for the long pic heavy post.  I'm just super happy right now.  This thing has been on my mind for a long time now and I'm glad I finally have one available.  I can already see a second host magically finding its way into my safe for sure now lol. Maybe a legit clone this time probably an H variant.  Now to just wait on that damned R9

Link Posted: 7/26/2020 9:25:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By jeremywills:
The day I've been finally waiting for.  Got the call yesterday my AEM5 was in but it was too late to head out there.  With that hurricane rolling into south Texas yesterday I was afraid today we might get a bunch of rain up here in San Antonio.  Not the case.  Spent a quiet Sunday morning playing with my now jailed AEM5.  Ho Lee Chit.  It really does sound amazing.  Now I understand what all the hype is about. Definitely worth the wait. Thank you Ron.   Sadly it has to stay there for a while but at least my jailed R2 has a cellmate.  It will be visited frequently.

https://i.imgur.com/9nxMihmh.jpg

Glad I got up early and had the bay to myself for almost an hour before other shooters forced me to put ears back on.  This thing sounds as good as it looks.

https://i.imgur.com/43B803mh.jpg

I'm happy the gap between the rail and can isn't too bad.  I hadn't planned this but the Allen Tactical stitching happening to be in the frame I thought was kinda neat when I realized it looking at the pictures later.

https://i.imgur.com/jitwtjVh.jpg
Decided to do my own thing.  Not a clone but definitely MKish inspired.  As you can see I opted for the Spikes muzzle break instead to be a bit different.  I'm liking it so far. I got exactly 7 and a half turns on the can till it hit the taper so no issues there.

https://i.imgur.com/zs1OWXGh.jpg

Remembered to get a clean blast baffle pic this time before I can never get a shot like this again.  

https://i.imgur.com/lA6cnW0h.jpg

No endcap or baffle strikes fortunately.  I just did the eyeball test and it looked good from the chamber end so I decided to send it.  Didn't shoot it much honestly and wasn't shooting the best ammo either.  I need to get some of the correct 77 grain stuff and then see what it can really do but so far I'm pleased with the initial results I was getting.  Stupidly forgot to snap a shot of the target down range.

https://i.imgur.com/5ISxvYeh.jpg

Felt great to have a nice quiet Sunday morning at the range.

https://i.imgur.com/a9s5uIah.jpg

Gangs all here.  Sad I can't bring em all home with me right now.

Sorry for the long pic heavy post.  I'm just super happy right now.  This thing has been on my mind for a long time now and I'm glad I finally have one available.  I can already see a second host magically finding its way into my safe for sure now lol.  Now to just wait on that damned R9

View Quote

Happy to see you finally got to experience the awesomeness yourself! I’ve never heard anybody being disappointed in their purchase.
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 9:27:21 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm kinda sad I didn't just say f it and do this sooner.  Oh well.  

Link Posted: 7/27/2020 12:33:10 AM EDT
[#13]

Yeah tough to tell on video. I'm thinking about an AEM2 or 3 for a mini recce build. The M4M (AEM2) impressed me in the video for how small it is but again tough to really hear in video. Is your AEM3 hearing safe? What's it sound like compared to the AEM5? AEM5 is the only can I have that doesn't ring my ears...
View Quote

Both 12ths, a 15th & an AEM2 here. The AEM2 is my favorite, killer performance for such a small can. There is a noticable difference between the 12th & 15th but it's not significant. I prefer the 15th as it is considerably more compact but almost as quiet as the 12th.
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 8:35:54 AM EDT
[#14]

Yeah tough to tell on video. I’m thinking about an AEM2 or 3 for a mini recce build. The M4M (AEM2) impressed me in the video for how small it is but again tough to really hear in video. Is your AEM3 hearing safe? What’s it sound like compared to the AEM5? AEM5 is the only can I have that doesn’t ring my ears...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SpyHawk:

Yeah, I think the 15th might be a little much then.

When I bought my 15th model several years ago, I really wanted to buy two, an M4-M and a 16th model. The 16th model is very close to the 12th model but uses the same mounts as the M4 MBS cans like the M4-M and even 15th model.

Unfortunately none were in stock at the time and the only one I could find was the one I got. I love it though. Great can with very minimal length added.
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 2:48:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Hey guys I havent messed with my OPS models in forever but I have a ton of mounts and spacers and etc I've accumulated over the years.

I found two of these types laying around:

https://spikestactical.com/collections/muzzle-devices/suppressor-alignment-collar/

Essentially this collar mounts to the first step on a gov profile barrel for spacing, correct?
Link Posted: 7/28/2020 2:26:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By 02Overlander:

Both 12ths, a 15th & an AEM2 here. The AEM2 is my favorite, killer performance for such a small can. There is a noticable difference between the 12th & 15th but it's not significant. I prefer the 15th as it is considerably more compact but almost as quiet as the 12th.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 02Overlander:

Yeah tough to tell on video. I'm thinking about an AEM2 or 3 for a mini recce build. The M4M (AEM2) impressed me in the video for how small it is but again tough to really hear in video. Is your AEM3 hearing safe? What's it sound like compared to the AEM5? AEM5 is the only can I have that doesn't ring my ears...

I think you guys sold me on an AEM2. Thanks for the input gents
Link Posted: 7/28/2020 3:37:17 PM EDT
[#17]

I think you guys sold me on an AEM2. Thanks for the input gents
View Quote

Some additional information here:

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2019/03/16/allen-engineering-suppressors/
Link Posted: 7/29/2020 11:01:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Wondering what the easiest way to determine of there's any AEM-5-30 cans in stock anywhere and if not, when perhaps to me manufactured?

Link Posted: 7/29/2020 6:53:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Can anyone provide the outer diameter of these cans? If they differ, I'm interested in the AEM2, AEM4, and AEM5.

Thanks!

Vasos
Link Posted: 7/29/2020 8:24:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By NickVasos:
Can anyone provide the outer diameter of these cans? If they differ, I'm interested in the AEM2, AEM4, and AEM5.

Thanks!

Vasos
View Quote

I think they’re all 1.5”
Link Posted: 7/29/2020 8:27:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Oh man Im excited. Ive been on order for about two months for my Aem5....Soon! Sooooon!
Link Posted: 8/2/2020 11:04:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/3/2020 8:07:41 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By cjwwd2:
https://i.imgur.com/KDB6r94.jpg
View Quote

Need specs on that.
Link Posted: 8/3/2020 10:15:55 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By UndrGrndPrdcts:

Need specs on that.
View Quote

16" Super Duty OD Green that got a barrel swap to a 18" 224 Valkyrie SPR barrel. Topped with NF NX8 2.5-20x50 Mil XT
Link Posted: 8/3/2020 2:50:55 PM EDT
[#25]
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/3/2020 6:47:57 PM EDT
[#26]
View Quote

That looks killer.
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 3:57:44 AM EDT
[#27]
That green anodizing looks good...

Link Posted: 8/5/2020 8:37:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/6/2020 1:12:32 AM EDT
[#29]
@k31user - I know I saw it somewhere in this thread, but for the life of me can't find it. What is the minimum distance needed from the muzzle to the gas block to fit an AEM5? Patiently waiting on ATF permission to bring it home for my Mk12 clone, thinking it would also work great on an SBR or two.
Link Posted: 8/6/2020 8:26:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: stainlineho] [#30]
Originally Posted By SpiritZeroThree:
@k31user - I know I saw it somewhere in this thread, but for the life of me can't find it. What is the minimum distance needed from the muzzle to the gas block to fit an AEM5? Patiently waiting on ATF permission to bring it home for my Mk12 clone, thinking it would also work great on an SBR or two.
View All Quotes

I want to say it is 2.5 inches.  It will work on a 12.5 barrel with a lowpro gas block or fsb.  I believe the shortest is 11.5 and you must use a low pro gas block for that length.  Ron has posted this in here but like you said, it's tough to find.

Originally Posted By Eyekahn:
https://i.imgur.com/FblG136.jpg

goals af
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 12:24:44 PM EDT
[#31]

16" Super Duty OD Green that got a barrel swap to a 18" 224 Valkyrie SPR barrel. Topped with NF NX8 2.5-20x50 Mil XT

View Quote
18" 224v.......mmmmm

what velocity you seeing? i have a 20" but i wanted to do an SPR in 18" with one some day.
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 8:43:43 PM EDT
[#32]
View Quote
I grabbed a screenshot when I saw it, knowing I'd need it in the future.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/7/2020 9:23:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By NickVasos:
I grabbed a screenshot when I saw it, knowing I'd need it in the future.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/390310/Screenshot_20200802-143031_jpg-1537067.JPG
View Quote

At first I was like

Then i went an measured my 12" larue barrel, and was like , I've got 2.910 from gas block to the shoulder
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 11:00:09 PM EDT
[#34]
@SpiritZeroThree

Do you have the LaRue Stealth? I'm looking at getting the 12", but was trying to figure out whether or not I'd have to send it off to ADCO for the appropriate contouring.
Link Posted: 8/8/2020 12:26:53 AM EDT
[#35]
yep, stealth barrel. When I get more serious about slapping the AEM5 on it i'll take some more measurements and decide on the contouring vs. custom collar route. Length is what had me worried.
Link Posted: 8/8/2020 10:39:02 PM EDT
[#36]

I need another AE M5...
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 12:38:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jeremywills] [#37]
Originally Posted By KavonTN:

https://i.imgur.com/0IDovCr.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/32sHM1Q.jpg

I need another AE M5...
View Quote

You guys suck when you keep posting stuff like that.

I knew I was lying to myself when I said I was getting the AEM5 for only one host.  I'm really tempted to start working on a second host.  Part of me wants to gravitate towards the Mod H path but another part of me thinks a 12.5 CAR15ish commando would be fun like Kavon just posted.  I know, I know the correct ARFCOM answer is build em both.

I have two 14.7 uppers with pinned hiders, an M4gery style and a midlength I could maybe look into fitting the AEM5 to.  Of the two I think the M4gery would be the more likely candidate. The midlength would probably be better with the extra Forward Controls keymo birdcage I haven't done anything with yet.  The only thing that has kept me dragging my feet is needing the current muzzles devices milled off and having something new pinned instead.  Speaking of have any of you pinned an AE/OPs externally threaded muzzle device?  If so whom did he work?

I'm really thinking of just starting from scratch on building up another upper.  Of the two options would you go more towards the Mod H concept or a 12.5 commando for an AEM5? Obviously if I opted for the 12.5 I'm either bracing it or doing a form1 finally.
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 6:53:12 AM EDT
[#38]
If I could own an AR, I'd have a 12.5 with AEM5 or 11.5 with AEM4.
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 7:13:00 AM EDT
[#39]

You guys suck when you keep posting stuff like that.

I knew I was lying to myself when I said I was getting the AEM5 for only one host.  I'm really tempted to start working on a second host.  Part of me wants to gravitate towards the Mod H path but another part of me thinks a 12.5 CAR15ish commando would be fun like Kavon just posted.  I know, I know the correct ARFCOM answer is build em both.

I have two 14.7 uppers with pinned hiders, an M4gery style and a midlength I could maybe look into fitting the AEM5 to.  Of the two I think the M4gery would be the more likely candidate. The midlength would probably be better with the extra Forward Controls keymo birdcage I haven't done anything with yet.  The only thing that has kept me dragging my feet is needing the current muzzles devices milled off and having something new pinned instead.  Speaking of have any of you pinned an AE/OPs externally threaded muzzle device?  If so whom did he work?

I'm really thinking of just starting from scratch on building up another upper.  Of the two options would you go more towards the Mod H concept or a 12.5 commando for an AEM5? Obviously if I opted for the 12.5 I'm either bracing it or doing a form1 finally.
View Quote

Form 1 12.5. I’d skip the mod h unless you’re just in love with the look.
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 9:17:16 AM EDT
[#40]
Well damn, theres 2 votes for the 12.5 including one from Ron himself.  I might have to start keeping an eye out for 12.5 barrels then.   Ron you may be getting a call soon for a custom collar order
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 9:39:26 AM EDT
[#41]
A 12.5” with the AEM5 is surprisingly quiet.  This is a older pic, it’s now sporting a SBA3 brace.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 11:05:50 AM EDT
[#42]
You guys are seriously talking me into the 12.5 lol.

A quick search shows DD, BCM, and Ballistic Advantage offering a 12.5 barrel with the needed govt step.  All I need to do is provide Ron with the measurements of whatever barrel I wind up with so he can make a direct fit M4 style collar?  Anyone else offering a 12.5 barrel I need to be considering? Right now the BA barrel seems like it would be more than sufficient and a few vendors show in stock.  It's also cheaper than the DD or BCM route.  

I aIso came across this.  I suspect BA might be the OEM barrel provider here.  This would definitely be the easy mode route with the least bit of work on my end.  
https://bkingsfirearms.com/shop/complete-upper-receivers/bkf-ar15-12-5-5-56-govt-profile-carbine-length-4150-cmv-1-7-twist-barrel-w-fsb-no-handguard/

Link Posted: 8/9/2020 2:00:33 PM EDT
[#43]
Mine in the above pic is from Centurion

Ron made the collar so it would index on the gas block journal.

My first SBR was a 12.5 DD with an ops 16th and I didnt have any issues with the step.
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 2:29:27 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Marsh_Rat:
A 12.5” with the AEM5 is surprisingly quiet.  This is a older pic, it’s now sporting a SBA3 brace.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/151113/E07CC756-F0C3-4753-98FE-07B062E75189_jpe-1538721.JPG
View Quote

Wow that's pretty sweet man, really liking that setup, especially after some paint.
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 2:43:11 PM EDT
[#45]
You guys are seriously talking me into the 12.5 lol.

A quick search shows DD, BCM, and Ballistic Advantage offering a 12.5 barrel with the needed govt step.  All I need to do is provide Ron with the measurements of whatever barrel I wind up with so he can make a direct fit M4 style collar?  Anyone else offering a 12.5 barrel I need to be considering? Right now the BA barrel seems like it would be more than sufficient and a few vendors show in stock.  It's also cheaper than the DD or BCM route.  

I aIso came across this.  I suspect BA might be the OEM barrel provider here.  This would definitely be the easy mode route with the least bit of work on my end.  
https://bkingsfirearms.com/shop/complete-upper-receivers/bkf-ar15-12-5-5-56-govt-profile-carbine-length-4150-cmv-1-7-twist-barrel-w-fsb-no-handguard/

View Quote

Wow good look on that link.  That is definitely a BA barrel, quotes their guarantee in the description.  I'm going to order that, I wasn't looking to drop a ton on a 12.5 build and will most likely run Colt drop ins until I find a deal on a KAC RAS.
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 1:04:37 AM EDT
[#46]
I'm really thinking of just starting from scratch on building up another upper.  Of the two options would you go more towards the Mod H concept or a 12.5 commando for an AEM5?
View Quote

12.5. But my mod h is also pretty awesome.

Link Posted: 8/10/2020 6:14:27 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Engel12626:

https://i.imgur.com/7oXAYcP.jpg

View Quote

Oh wow.  When I think of the 12.5 thing I had the a2 fsb in mind.  Hadn't thought of doing a lo pro gas block and free float.  I like that too.  Decisions suck.

What length is that Forward Controls rail?  It appears you have almost no gap between it and the back of your can.
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 4:38:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jeremywills] [#48]
Originally Posted By stainlineho:

Wow good look on that link.  That is definitely a BA barrel, quotes their guarantee in the description.  I'm going to order that, I wasn't looking to drop a ton on a 12.5 build and will most likely run Colt drop ins until I find a deal on a KAC RAS.
View Quote

I went ahead and ordered it this afternoon.  I also added a MI m lok drop in rail to my order.  Going for that pseudo retro yet also modern look lol.  I'm also eyeballing what I have here in the spare parts bin to recycle some parts because like you not wanting to drop a ton on this either.  They only show 4 uppers in stock now after I placed my order so if you haven't yet you might not want to wait too much longer. I figured better snag it now before its out of stock and god knows when it might be restocked given the current times we are in.

I have the bootleg adjustable carrier I can pull from my 10.5 if I need to.  I can also utilize the A5A2 buffer, tube and spring or the a5 tube, Tubb flat spring and 9mm Hydraulic buffer (Amphibian's special lol) if I need to tame it some.  Curious what buffer/spring combos you guys are running with your 12.5/AEM5 setups?

Once I have this in hand I'll have to get measurements to give Ron a call about getting a collar made. Looking forward to this.
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 4:39:59 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Engel12626:

https://i.imgur.com/7oXAYcP.jpg

View Quote

I like this quite a bit.

All this 12.5 AEM5 talk has got me thinking about doing one!
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 11:31:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Engel12626] [#50]
Thanks! 9.5" rail, but my tape measure says there's another 1/16", and a 1/4" between it and the back of the aem5. There's another picture on the previous page.

And an h2 buffer seems to work pretty good for me.
Page / 101
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top