Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 101
Link Posted: 4/10/2018 5:48:17 AM EDT
[#1]
On that 16" rifle gas build shown above I used a crush washer and a couple of the small shims from the PWS shim pack. Got my muzzle break port even with the crown, then I did a 1/4 turn to time the break.

The original Ops Inc instructions that came with my old can, which I still have, say 1/4 turn is the recommendation.
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 6:39:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 12:25:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Does anyone have any actual DB reduction numbers with the AEM5? I can’t find any anywhere.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 8:34:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 556hunter:
Does anyone have any actual DB reduction numbers with the AEM5? I can’t find any anywhere.
View Quote
Nearly 40 dB is the number I've always seen in reviews.  I imagine in the real world there are many factors effecting actual results.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 7:12:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 8:40:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Very nice!!
Link Posted: 4/29/2018 3:13:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Twitchy] [#7]
Found the answer.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 8:50:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Any chance somebody can post pics of groups with the AE/Ops flash hider?

ADCO says they reduce accuracy, I'd be curious to see what that looks like on paper.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 8:52:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Twitchy:
Found the answer.
View Quote
Can you post said answer?
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 1:52:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Number0neGun:

Can you post said answer?
View Quote
The answer is yes.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 8:21:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Any chance somebody can post pics of groups with the AE/Ops flash hider?

ADCO says they reduce accuracy, I'd be curious to see what that looks like on paper.
View Quote
i had that problem at first.  I took the hider off scrubbed both threads really well, new washer and reinstalled.  problem solved
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 10:15:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By TheBigStink:

i had that problem at first.  I took the hider off scrubbed both threads really well, new washer and reinstalled.  problem solved
View Quote
What were your groups looking like before the fix? Also, what kind of washer? Crush washer or something else?
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 11:21:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Finally got everything put together, now I just have to shoot it.

Link Posted: 5/14/2018 12:34:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheBigStink] [#14]

What were your groups looking like before the fix? Also, what kind of washer? Crush washer or something else?
View Quote
I dont remember exactly but noticeably worse, its around .9ish moa now.  I used yhm machined crush washer
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 8:19:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Recent AEM5 I just got cleared.

Link Posted: 5/15/2018 9:27:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: aaron580] [#16]
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 8:13:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SpyHawk] [#17]
Here she is, finished for now. Going to build another lower to dedicate to this upper. Probably stay with some kind of two-tone look. Going to add angled irons and an FDE cloud defense light kit with Streamlight HLX. Likely that new magpul bipod when it comes out.

This is by far the smoothest shooting AR I've ever shot. AAC IBCG, VLTOR A5H2, springco green spring. Criterion 16" rifle-length gas system. Spikes Tactical short collar. Faxon three-screw gas block.

Link Posted: 5/16/2018 3:06:57 PM EDT
[#18]
@FREEFALLE7

What was your check cashed date? I'm waiting on a AEM5 from 12/1/17
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 3:26:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By eMc9001:

View Quote
@eMc9001

I know this wasn't directed at me but my check was cashed in early Oct 2017 and the form was approved Apr 4 2018.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 3:30:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By dmac7979:

@eMc9001

I know this wasn't directed at me but my check was cashed in early Oct 2017 and the form was approved Apr 4 2018.
View Quote
Cool, thank's for the info. I ought to be pretty close then. I have 4 can's in December.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 3:38:45 PM EDT
[#21]
@FREEFALLE7

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
@FREEFALLE7

Jun 17 got the stamp end of April 18.

Right about 10 months with a 2RP trust
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 6:50:32 PM EDT
[#22]

Cool, thank's for the info. I ought to be pretty close then. I have 4 can's in December.
View Quote
Mine was 9/27 with approval 4/14
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 4:01:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Sooo what is this? More info? @Twitchy
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 4:04:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Mattyvac:

Sooo what is this? More info? @Twitchy
View Quote
Looks like an integrated muzzle device and collar so as long as the barrel OD isn't too large you don't have to worry about having a correctly profiled barrel.
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 5:01:49 PM EDT
[#25]
I have nothing other than the picture.  Posted to see if anyone else had info on it.

I've since picked up an ADCO A2ish AEM device that works damn good.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 6:05:48 PM EDT
[#26]
AE30
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 11:34:52 AM EDT
[#27]
AEM5 on a 12.5” pistol.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 11:25:28 AM EDT
[#28]
A word of caution about some of the alternative mounting systems. Make sure the threads and taper angle are correct. Having to warranty a suppressor because  of a someone else's mount error
isn't my favorite thing.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 4:46:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By k31user:

A word of caution about some of the alternative mounting systems. Make sure the threads and taper angle are correct. Having to warranty a suppressor because  of a someone else's mount error
isn't my favorite thing.
View Quote
No doubt.  I didn't plan on using it, but figured I'd present it to the group.  The actual "flash hider" is a bit weird for me.

Have you ever made an A2ish version?  I use one of my AEM5s on a bolt gun and the normal brake is a bit much for anyone near me.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 3:03:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ehudbengera] [#30]
Are Daniel Defense barrels correctly profiled? I seem to remember reading that they are. Thinking about turning my 16” gun into a Recce-looking thing but I really like this barrel and don’t want to swap to the BA barrel just for the profile. I’m hoping I could just use the AEM5 M4 collar.

ETA its the 16” middy CHF gov profile
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 3:06:34 PM EDT
[#31]
My DD 12.5" gov profile works like a champ with my 16th model. I've had it since 2010ish?
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 7:45:36 AM EDT
[#32]
Hey Ron, would it be possible to take a new M2 and open it up for 9mm? Just spitball'n at the moment. @k31user
Link Posted: 6/4/2018 11:20:09 PM EDT
[#33]
Anyone have a brake with a flat spot to be pinned and welded they want to sell me?

Link Posted: 6/5/2018 9:39:59 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Rothperson87:
Anyone have a brake with a flat spot to be pinned and welded they want to sell me?

http://i64.tinypic.com/1pgxad.jpg
View Quote
I had a flat milled into the muzzle brake to have it pin/welded. That may be an option if you don’t find one.

Link Posted: 6/5/2018 4:57:00 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By prodigy808:

I had a flat milled into the muzzle brake to have it pin/welded. That may be an option if you don’t find one.

https://s15.postimg.cc/3vjs07sh7/0_AE9_EB08-_C1_B3-4_C0_D-818_C-7_B57_D7_E7_BD3_B.jpg
View Quote
I’m thinking that might be my only option. Ive never seen one for sale.  Who did that for you?
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 5:11:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Sent you an IM Roth
Link Posted: 6/8/2018 6:33:30 AM EDT
[#37]
Is there a muzzle device compatible with the AEM5 that when P/W will bring a 13.7" barrel to 16"?
Link Posted: 6/8/2018 3:34:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Send a Happy Birthday to R. Allen.  He turned 63 today.  We wouldn't have this thread without him.
Link Posted: 6/8/2018 6:14:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Send a Happy Birthday to R. Allen.  He turned 63 today.  We wouldn't have this thread without him.
View Quote
Happy birthday, K31!
Link Posted: 6/8/2018 6:40:38 PM EDT
[#40]
View Quote
Happy birthday Ron!!

Link Posted: 6/13/2018 3:44:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Anybody familiar with using the Smith Vortex flash hider with the Ops Inc threading?  Anything different between using it and the muzzle brake?
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 4:06:21 PM EDT
[#42]
Have a smith on my patrol rifle as it rarely gets the can. When I first got it I noticed it would scrape the first baffle. Took it to a local shop that took some material off the end of the tines.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 5:21:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Rothperson87:
View Quote
Spike's has one:
https://www.spikestactical.com/collections/suppressor/products/r2-brake-h-v-s?variant=40447392332
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 8:30:00 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By cdholmes:
Anybody familiar with using the Smith Vortex flash hider with the Ops Inc threading?  Anything different between using it and the muzzle brake?
View Quote
I would expect some more wear on the can.

I have one, and have used it, but don't have it on a rifle currently.

It's a great flash hider but I'm going to stick with brakes in the future.
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 7:41:16 PM EDT
[#45]
I remembered Ron saying in the past that he wasn't really able to properly warranty the use of AEM/Ops cans on anything but the Brake mount, as the brake is technically part of the system.

That being said, I'm curious to see what the actual impact to the can's life is with typical non-SOCOM firing schedules, like us folks who go burn a few hundred rounds at the range a few times a year. I want the option of shooting my rifles without the can on and I loathe doing that with a brake. I'm not looking at a compensator like the Spike's either, but what kind of flash hider design would work with the AEM/Ops design without significantly increasing wear on the first baffle? Maybe something with a more closed end? Or does that effectively leave you with a more blasty compensator/brake effect by reducing the area that the blast is concentrated onto the baffle?

Other than the Spikes or AE Brake, I'm only aware of the A1 offered by ADCO and the Smith Vortex that's AE compatible. Currently the can would be on a 16", but in the future I have plans for my 12.5" to have an AEM2 and I want to be able to shoot my SBR unsuppressed without a ridiculous brake rattling my teeth.

Now that I think of it, what about one of those Ops flash hider/brake sleeves that Harms4X copied? How do those work?
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 8:03:40 PM EDT
[#46]
I was thinking the same thing. Basically a blast shield to thread on the brake when not using the can.
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 11:30:38 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By lancecriminal86:
I remembered Ron saying in the past that he wasn't really able to properly warranty the use of AEM/Ops cans on anything but the Brake mount, as the brake is technically part of the system.

That being said, I'm curious to see what the actual impact to the can's life is with typical non-SOCOM firing schedules, like us folks who go burn a few hundred rounds at the range a few times a year. I want the option of shooting my rifles without the can on and I loathe doing that with a brake. I'm not looking at a compensator like the Spike's either, but what kind of flash hider design would work with the AEM/Ops design without significantly increasing wear on the first baffle? Maybe something with a more closed end? Or does that effectively leave you with a more blasty compensator/brake effect by reducing the area that the blast is concentrated onto the baffle?

Other than the Spikes or AE Brake, I'm only aware of the A1 offered by ADCO and the Smith Vortex that's AE compatible. Currently the can would be on a 16", but in the future I have plans for my 12.5" to have an AEM2 and I want to be able to shoot my SBR unsuppressed without a ridiculous brake rattling my teeth.

Now that I think of it, what about one of those Ops flash hider/brake sleeves that Harms4X copied? How do those work?
View Quote
I have/use the ADCO birdcage on my 26" bolt gun.  I use it in that configuration for PRS matches.  I don't think with that length barrel it's causing any more wear than the normal brake on a shorter barrel.  Most people ask if I'm shooting subsonic, not even kidding.  I love these cans.  This configuration is more accurate/precise than my F-Class gun, but of course the NRA doesn't allow suppressors even though I'd make weight.  

I use my second AEM5 on my MK12 with the normal brake.
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 12:12:06 PM EDT
[#48]
I have/use the ADCO birdcage on my 26" bolt gun.  I use it in that configuration for PRS matches.  I don't think with that length barrel it's causing any more wear than the normal brake on a shorter barrel.  Most people ask if I'm shooting subsonic, not even kidding.  I love these cans.  This configuration is more accurate/precise than my F-Class gun, but of course the NRA doesn't allow suppressors even though I'd make weight.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I figured the non-knurled would be my beater can from now on, and the knurled would live on the Mod H/SPR and get less rounds.

How plentiful are the ADCO A1s? Are they still making them, how much $$$ are they commanding on the second hand market?
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 5:30:51 PM EDT
[#49]

I figured the non-knurled would be my beater can from now on, and the knurled would live on the Mod H/SPR and get less rounds.

How plentiful are the ADCO A1s? Are they still making them, how much $$$ are they commanding on the second hand market?
View Quote
I can't answer any of your questions other than I waited a while for them to be "in stock".  Even then they seemed to run out quickly.  I periodically checked to see availability and will continue to do the same to grab a second.  It's too easy.  No crush washer needed.  Since it doesn't need to be clocked it can simply be screwed on and torqued.
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 5:35:35 PM EDT
[#50]
Update.

It looks like as of 5 minutes ago they had 2 in stock.

They now only have 1 left.
Page / 101
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top