Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 102
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 7:55:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: blkrmycs] [#1]
WillysJeep

I have the ballistic advantage 18" spr in my mk 12 mod1( rifle buffer and spring) and I would say it is about perfect with the aem5. I think it could get  90% of my spent brass thrown into a 5 gallon bucket setting at 4:30 5:00  and about 5 ft from the ejection port.
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 9:49:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By blkrmycs:
WillysJeep

I have the ballistic advantage 18" spr in my mk 12 mod1( rifle buffer and spring) and I would say it is about perfect with the aem5. I think it could get  90% of my spent brass thrown into a 5 gallon bucket setting at 4:30 5:00  and about 5 ft from the ejection port.
View Quote
Thank you. I think I will assemble with a standard gas block then.
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 7:08:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Hey, off hand, does anybody know what the diameter of an AEM4 is?
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 7:14:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By bigbore:

I sell those because there is a demand for them.  In my experience, ALL the various flash hider mounts have had a negative effect on accuracy compared to the standard brake.   It could just be me, but I only use the brakes on my guns.
View Quote
Why would there be accuracy degradation?
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 11:19:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 9:32:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Number0neGun:
Hey, off hand, does anybody know what the diameter of an AEM4 is?
View Quote
All of the AE cans are 1.5" OD, no?
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 10:30:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Similar to the AK project, has anyone successfully attached an AE30 to an M1A SOCOM?

Smith Enterprises sells a threaded gas block to replace the standard muzzle break.  Could a custom extension be made to attach an AE30?

http://www.smithenterprise.com/products03.02.html
Link Posted: 1/16/2018 9:12:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Ironmaker:
Similar to the AK project, has anyone successfully attached an AE30 to an M1A SOCOM?

https://i.imgur.com/n8JOv15.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/q2MXFUq.jpg

Smith Enterprises sells a threaded gas block to replace the standard muzzle break.  Could a custom extension be made to attach an AE30?

http://www.smithenterprise.com/imagesprod/gas_plug-composite.lg.jpg

http://www.smithenterprise.com/products03.02.html
View Quote
How do M14s (M1As) suppress in general just out of curiosity? I feel like they'd be loud as hell even with a can...

As to your question, I've seen OPS cans on standard length .gov M14s, but I believe a special custom made barrel sleeve was produced due to the fact that it's much more difficult to machine a step on M14 barrels as is done on AR barrels. Are those even available for standard length M1As?

I'd have to imagine a shorty M1A/M14 would be even more challenging, but I'll let Ron speak to that.
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 2:48:25 PM EDT
[#9]
would love some specs for this build, i want one!
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 5:06:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Does anyone know what AE/OPS collar is used on these Canadian C series rifles pictured?

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/The-British-Mk18-the-L119A1/118-722248/?r=-1&page=1&anc=7585793#i7585793

It looks like a non-reflexing mount with a male and female end...
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 7:41:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Mattyvac:
Does anyone know what AE/OPS collar is used on these Canadian C series rifles pictured?

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/The-British-Mk18-the-L119A1/118-722248/?r=-1&page=1&anc=7585793#i7585793

View Quote
Why do you think it isn't a reflex mount? The guy says it's a 10", but I'm not convinced. Those Canadian SOF guns are often very custom. Could be the 11.6" version.

Anyway, I first saw those pics 3 years ago on Larry Vicker's facebook feed: https://www.facebook.com/LarryVickers/posts/10154777856365416

By the way, is Mr. Allen at Shot Show 2018? Any news?
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 8:42:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By SpyHawk:

Why do you think it isn't a reflex mount? The guy says it's a 10", but I'm not convinced. Those Canadian SOF guns are often very custom. Could be the 11.6" version.

Anyway, I first saw those pics 3 years ago on Larry Vicker's facebook feed: https://www.facebook.com/LarryVickers/posts/10154777856365416

By the way, is Mr. Allen at Shot Show 2018? Any news?
View Quote
I'm going off the premise it is a 10" barrel and there's no reason to think otherwise from the pics...

I long....LOOOONNGG...for a combo shoulder/brake mount for my AE cans so it doesnt have to reflex OTB but just reflex over the sleeve/shoulder.

Kind of like this, but without the barrel going inside it, essentially being an extension of the barrel:

https://www.spikestactical.com/products/suppressor-parts-muzzle-devices-silencer-combo-mount
Link Posted: 1/23/2018 8:29:57 AM EDT
[#13]

I'm going off the premise it is a 10" barrel and there's no reason to think otherwise from the pics...

I long....LOOOONNGG...for a combo shoulder/brake mount for my AE cans so it doesnt have to reflex OTB but just reflex over the sleeve/shoulder.

Kind of like this, but without the barrel going inside it, essentially being an extension of the barrel:

https://www.spikestactical.com/products/suppressor-parts-muzzle-devices-silencer-combo-mount
View Quote
But why? If you aren't reflexing back over the barrel, you might as well use a normal muzzle mount can. One that's actually optimized for muzzle mounting performance. You'll also have QD or thread-on options. Help me understand.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Ops can, but I also own other cans too. The right tool for the right job and all that. The Ops/Allen cans give you the advantage of less overall length, they tension the barrel for better harmonics, and give you low back pressure. If you aren't using them as intended, you are giving up two out of the three advantages.
Link Posted: 1/23/2018 10:27:25 AM EDT
[#14]

But why? If you aren't reflexing back over the barrel, you might as well use a normal muzzle mount can. One that's actually optimized for muzzle mounting performance. You'll also have QD or thread-on options. Help me understand.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Ops can, but I also own other cans too. The right tool for the right job and all that. The Ops/Allen cans give you the advantage of less overall length, they tension the barrel for better harmonics, and give you low back pressure. If you aren't using them as intended, you are giving up two out of the three advantages.
View Quote
Sometimes you want to use the suppressor you've already purchased (forms and wait times suck, theyre expensive, you can't just buy a fitting suppressor for every setup you have, etc) like an AE/OPS on a barrel that doesnt have any room to reflex such as AK's, 10.3 barrels, 10.5 barrels, even 11.5 or 12.5 barrels with certain rail configurations.

It's not the rule but an exception and the ability to do so would be nice.

You would still be 'reflexing' the can over the mount so you are not losing that or the backpressure point so those are moot. An all in one mount would still provide those benefits, just not 'over' the barrel.

1/2-28 threads should still provide enough tension and strength for cans under the AEM5 size for rigidity as well on the end of the barrel. The only negative is you lose the OAL benefit of a reflexing can.
Link Posted: 1/23/2018 10:35:29 AM EDT
[#15]

Sometimes you want to use the suppressor you've already purchased (forms and wait times suck, theyre expensive, you can't just buy a fitting suppressor for every setup you have, etc) like an AE/OPS on a barrel that doesnt have any room to reflex such as AK's, 10.3 barrels, 10.5 barrels, even 11.5 or 12.5 barrels with certain rail configurations.

It's not the rule but an exception and the ability to do so would be nice.

You would still be 'reflexing' the can over the mount so you are not losing that or the backpressure point so those are moot. An all in one mount would still provide those benefits, just not 'over' the barrel.

1/2-28 threads should still provide enough tension and strength for cans under the AEM5 size for rigidity as well on the end of the barrel. The only negative is you lose the OAL benefit of a reflexing can.
View Quote
A friend send me a picture from Facebook (I do not have) where Ron is working with Adco on a AEM5 setup for 11.5 and AEM 2,3,4 on a 10.5.
Link Posted: 1/23/2018 1:29:24 PM EDT
[#16]

View Quote
Yeah, but a ~$30 adapter sounds a lot better than the expense and wait of a new can
Link Posted: 1/23/2018 1:51:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Engel12626] [#17]
Originally Posted By Outrider:

A friend send me a picture from Facebook (I do not have) where Ron is working with Adco on a AEM5 setup for 11.5 and AEM 2,3,4 on a 10.5.
View Quote

Found this
Link Posted: 1/23/2018 3:18:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Engel12626:

https://i.imgur.com/BHBulvx.png

Found this
View Quote
Yep. That’s it. I’ve got a 11.5 that I’d be curious to try.
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 12:17:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Outrider:

Yep. That’s it. I’ve got a 11.5 that I’d be curious to try.
View Quote
You can already fit a AEM2/3/4 on a 10.5" barrel by just using a Spike's shoulder gas block.

Link: https://www.spikestactical.com/products/parts-upper-parts-tapered-micro-suppressor?variant=32521181452
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 7:10:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SpyHawk] [#20]
Anybody know what the minimum barrel length my old Ops Inc 15th model is certified for? It doesn't say on the website (AEM3 web page anyway).

For some reason I've gotten the hankering to build an ultra short PDW based on a pistol length gas system.

Edit: I'm wondering about a 7.5" with a pistol length gas system. Or 9".
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 7:19:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 99superduty] [#21]
deleted......
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 8:01:08 PM EDT
[#22]
@k31user

What about 224 Valkyrie out an 18" barrel?

Link Posted: 2/2/2018 8:10:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Whhood:
@k31user

View Quote
Up to .220 Swift is fine at 18".
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 2:27:15 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By DHwreckage:

would love some specs for this build, i want one!
View Quote

12.5" Ballistic Advantage, Collar Adapter Extender/AEMB, Ops Inc 15th (pictured) but run an AEM2 on it most of the time, PRI GasBuster
URX II 10.75" Mid-Length w/ integrated flip-up front BUIS / KAC 300m rear
SOLGW ZF lower / Fostech Echo
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 11:57:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Anybody know what the minimum barrel length my old Ops Inc 15th model is certified for? It doesn't say on the website (AEM3 web page anyway).

For some reason I've gotten the hankering to build an ultra short PDW based on a pistol length gas system.

Edit: I'm wondering about a 7.5" with a pistol length gas system. Or 9".
View Quote
Should be down to 7.5".

Since OPS INC is no longer a company I wouldnt worry about it anyway...no warranty and 5.56 under 7.5" is not really a thing.

Here's a video of steve @ ADCO firing a full auto 7.5" with an ops inc M4-S

Link Posted: 2/5/2018 7:54:25 AM EDT
[#26]
Sweet video.

I spoke to Mr. Allen. He confirmed 7.5 but only with his brake. No flash hiders.
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 10:09:53 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By k31user:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By k31user:
Originally Posted By Whhood:
@k31user

Thank you Mr. Allen
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 12:25:41 PM EDT
[#28]

View Quote
There were two. One for a 14.5 and one for an 11.5.
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 1:04:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Sweet video.

I spoke to Mr. Allen. He confirmed 7.5 but only with his brake. No flash hiders.
View Quote
Correct, especially for full auto like in the video.

For a 'stand civilian' firing schedule of a few hundreds rounds a year on semi auto, the vortex mount or the special A1 mount that ADCO has Ron make will work just fine and won't do any noticeable damage to the first baffle.
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 10:15:50 AM EDT
[#30]
I am looking to build a 7.5" set up using a BA "modern" barrel.  It has the front step but it measures .735 in diameter and that step is .600 in length before it bumps up to .750 gas block area, which is 1.870 in length.  The other wrinkle is that I want to use a Superlative Arms adjustable piston system so I need a little bit more room in front of the gas block for the adjustment screws to opened and closed.  (I don't have the piston parts yet so I can't give exact measurements yet)
I am thinking that I will probably need one of the two barrel extension adapters that AE makes to add a little length?  Which one to go with is one of my questions.  Anyone try this and have some pictures to share?  I am leaning towards the one that requires the muzzle brake but not sure yet.
Q:  Do I need to pin the extension?

Q:  Will the barrel adapters work/ fit with that .735 diameter first step or instead of the standard .725 if a mil profile or does the inner diameter of the extension bottom out on the .750 gas block bearing surface instead?  If the latter, then I should be good to go.

I have noticed a few guys in here are saying that the collars are working on BA barrels but they are not saying which BA barrels they have.  Again, I have the "Modern" profile barrel which looks a lot like a Mil profile on the business end of it but the front step is .010 wider.

I am thinking about an AEM2 maybe.  Not sure yet but not an AEM5.

Thanks for info in advance.
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 12:25:27 PM EDT
[#31]
I'm going to try to fix the links this weekend (screw you, Photobucket).
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 12:45:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By BurtSaun1049:
I'm going to try to fix the links this weekend (screw you, Photobucket).
View Quote
Awesome!
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 4:07:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Anyone know how many M4-S cans were made?
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 5:22:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Combat_Jack:
Anyone know how many M4-S cans were made?
View Quote
Without doing a lot of digging I'd guess 25 or so.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 10:20:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Ok, I fixed a lot of the links and pictures in the OP. Took me a lot longer than I thought to track down the pictures, since Photobucket dicked me so hard (when you click on the links to your OWN photobucket, it makes the images still impossible to read, so you have to match the file name with what is in your collection to figure out which picture it was).

Still not quite done yet (made it through about 2/3s of the OP, but will try again throughout the week and next weekend.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 10:34:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Ok, I fixed a lot of the links and pictures in the OP. Took me a lot longer than I thought to track down the pictures, since Photobucket dicked me so hard (when you click on the links to your OWN photobucket, it makes the images still impossible to read, so you have to match the file name with what is in your collection to figure out which picture it was).

Still not quite done yet (made it through about 2/3s of the OP, but will try again throughout the week and next weekend.
View Quote
Man, i haven't visited this thread in a long time but I'll try to post a new family pic in the next couple of days as my original is missing the M4M...
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 11:33:36 PM EDT
[#37]

View Quote
Thank you for cleaning the OP up. Looks great and is a fantastic resource on these great cans!
Link Posted: 2/26/2018 12:27:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By BM1455:
I am looking to build a 7.5" set up using a BA "modern" barrel.  It has the front step but it measures .735 in diameter and that step is .600 in length before it bumps up to .750 gas block area, which is 1.870 in length.  The other wrinkle is that I want to use a Superlative Arms adjustable piston system so I need a little bit more room in front of the gas block for the adjustment screws to opened and closed.  (I don't have the piston parts yet so I can't give exact measurements yet)
I am thinking that I will probably need one of the two barrel extension adapters that AE makes to add a little length?  Which one to go with is one of my questions.  Anyone try this and have some pictures to share?  I am leaning towards the one that requires the muzzle brake but not sure yet.

Q:  Will the barrel adapters work/ fit with that .735 diameter first step or instead of the standard .725 if a mil profile or does the inner diameter of the extension bottom out on the .750 gas block bearing surface instead?  If the latter, then I should be good to go.

I have noticed a few guys in here are saying that the collars are working on BA barrels but they are not saying which BA barrels they have.  Again, I have the "Modern" profile barrel which looks a lot like a Mil profile on the business end of it but the front step is .010 wider.

View Quote
For AEM2 spacing on a 7.5"/10.5" barrel all you need is the shouldered combo gas block from spike's. No collars needed
Link Posted: 2/26/2018 12:54:41 PM EDT
[#39]
Hi All,

I had a 20" Colt HBAR barrel that grouped really well, so I built a Mk12ish looking clone out of it using some Allen Engineering bits.  These are damn near impossible to get in Kanadastan by the way.

Cans are prohib where I am, but I managed to find a replica can I thrown on there for photos only:

Link Posted: 2/26/2018 1:41:06 PM EDT
[#40]
For AEM2 spacing on a 7.5"/10.5" barrel all you need is the shouldered combo gas block from spike's. No collars needed
View All Quotes

I already have the SA piston set up so I think I will need the caller adapter extender from AE.  The only thing is that maybe I can get him to make me one that doesn't go quite as deep and thus would not go quite so far back towards the gas block part of the barrel?
Link Posted: 2/26/2018 3:17:09 PM EDT
[#41]

I already have the SA piston set up so I think I will need the caller adapter extender from AE.  The only thing is that maybe I can get him to make me one that doesn't go quite as deep and thus would not go quite so far back towards the gas block part of the barrel?
View Quote
Oh, well in that case, yeah you would need a collar.

For barrels without shoulders you can use the Spike's one-piece combo mount, as well.
Link Posted: 2/26/2018 11:48:47 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By The_Accuser:
Man, i haven't visited this thread in a long time but I'll try to post a new family pic in the next couple of days as my original is missing the M4M...
View All Quotes

Please do! And tag me when you do, and I'll update the OP.

Still have some more work to do to fix some links, but I'm pretty close.
Link Posted: 2/27/2018 6:21:06 PM EDT
[#43]
Been a long time since I've posted but here is a couple of 2018 pics.  All are 223 caliber.  I believe the only one I'm missing is the Model 3rd.
Attachment Attached File

Top picture from right to left:  M4S, M4M, Model 14th, 15th, 16th and 12th

I use all of them except the 12th model on a 10.5" and a 16" LMT MRP barrel.  I just pick whichever I feel like using that day...
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 12:16:29 AM EDT
[#44]
Been a long time since I've posted but here is a couple of 2018 pics.  All are 223 caliber.  I believe the only one I'm missing is the Model 3rd.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/37569/ops-466421.JPG

Top picture from right to left:  M4S, M4M, Model 14th, 15th, 16th and 12th

I use all of them except the 12th model on a 10.5" and a 16" LMT MRP barrel.  I just pick whichever I feel like using that day...
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/37569/ops-466425.JPG
View Quote
Great family photos. You've got the spread covered.
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 2:28:02 PM EDT
[#45]
So who will be the first to put one on a 224 valkyrie build for precision?

It's the first new boutique hipster caliber to come out that's compatible with our cans..
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 6:04:52 PM EDT
[#46]
hey guys, since this is the ops inc/allen engineering thread i thought you guys would have the most experience and could answer my question. i am thinking about picking up a ae30 or aem5-30 for my Tikka, im curious if any one has an opinion on which one i should go with if i decide to go with an AE suppressor. is the aem5-30 longer then the ae30 to just to accommodate the brake, do they both have the same amount of baffles? the rifle will mainly be used for PRS and hunting and will be on an 18". anyone have any opinions on the ae30 vs the aem5-30 for a bolt action rifle?
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 10:28:32 PM EDT
[#47]
So who will be the first to put one on a 224 valkyrie build for precision?

It's the first new boutique hipster caliber to come out that's compatible with our cans..
View Quote
I do have a spare brake and collars and LMT does have a 224 valkyrie MRP barrel available.  I'm waiting to see what other say about the MRP barrel before I jump on it.

Jason
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 10:51:49 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By DHwreckage:
hey guys, since this is the ops inc/allen engineering thread i thought you guys would have the most experience and could answer my question. i am thinking about picking up a ae30 or aem5-30 for my Tikka, im curious if any one has an opinion on which one i should go with if i decide to go with an AE suppressor. is the aem5-30 longer then the ae30 to just to accommodate the brake, do they both have the same amount of baffles? the rifle will mainly be used for PRS and hunting and will be on an 18". anyone have any opinions on the ae30 vs the aem5-30 for a bolt action rifle?
View Quote
AE30 and AEM5-30 have the same baffle stack. The AEM5-30 is longer to accomodate a brake.

Really the issue is if you have another suppressor host - if you do, then the AEM5-30 would be a slightly better option since when you do shoot unsuppressed you will have a muzzle brake. If you don't ever plan on shooting unsuppressed, then the AE30 would do just the same. Some may say that the brake will serve as a sacrificial first baffle. While it does this, on a bolt gun, it really serves no additional advantage.
Link Posted: 3/10/2018 1:36:54 AM EDT
[#49]
Does anyone have a collar adapter extender they could let go of? I have a 10.5” with fsb and it would be the perfect finishing touch if I could mount my aem 2 on it. ron no longer makes the extender and adco doesn’t have any. Thanks
Link Posted: 3/10/2018 2:21:43 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By AR_DIESEL:
Does anyone have a collar adapter extender they could let go of? I have a 10.5” with fsb and it would be the perfect finishing touch if I could mount my aem 2 on it. ron no longer makes the extender and adco doesn’t have any. Thanks
View Quote
Just saw them on Adco's website - 5 in stock.
Page / 102
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top