BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 102
Link Posted: 11/10/2017 9:27:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By pezboytate:
Please post any info you can get after you receive it. A useful dimension would be how far in front of the gas block the rear of the suppressor is.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Outrider:

I don't think it will work with the AEM5 or AEM2/3/4 on a 7.5" pistol or 10.5" carbine barrel. Looking at my measurements, the Spike's mount seems to be 5/8" shorter than the AEM5 and 3/8" shorter than the AEM2/3/4. It may work on an 8.125" pistol, 11.125" carbine, 13.125" mid length, or 16.5" rifle barrel with the AEM5 or a 7.875" pistol, 10.875" carbine, 12.875" mid length, or 16.25" rifle barrel with the AEM2/3/4.
I figured there has to be something in between a 12.5 and 10.5 (for carbine gas) that will work. I've got the gas block and Spike's own compatible muzzle brake (nice price for those not caring about clone correct) on the way. I've got a spare 10.3" barrel that I'll mock up with measurements to see what we can pinpoint.

My favorite 5.56 can I own is my AEM5 so figuring out how short I can go is something I look forward to.
Please post any info you can get after you receive it. A useful dimension would be how far in front of the gas block the rear of the suppressor is.
I was reading the earlier pages of this thread and it appears that Spikes gas block works for the AEM2/3/4 but not the 5 with a 7.5" pistol length or 10.5" carbine. Info is on page 3.
Link Posted: 11/10/2017 9:37:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By ehudbengera:

I was reading the earlier pages of this thread and it appears that Spikes gas block works for the AEM2/3/4 but not the 5 with a 7.5" pistol length or 10.5" carbine. Info is on page 3.
View Quote
I saw that information too but it has been a while. I think there's something in the 11.5ish range that may be doable. My gas block should be here tomorrow so I'll try to get some measurements this weekend and put our collective brains together on what the shortest AEM5 configuration is.

It did hit me that a 8.5" or whatever length would work .300 BLK pistol gas with the Spikes gas block and AEM30 or AEM5 in .30 would be a pretty slick setup.I bet it would be scary quiet too with subsonic pills.
Link Posted: 11/10/2017 10:44:42 PM EDT
[#3]
I saw that information too but it has been a while. I think there's something in the 11.5ish range that may be doable. My gas block should be here tomorrow so I'll try to get some measurements this weekend and put our collective brains together on what the shortest AEM5 configuration is.

It did hit me that a 8.5" or whatever length would work .300 BLK pistol gas with the Spikes gas block and AEM30 or AEM5 in .30 would be a pretty slick setup.I bet it would be scary quiet too with subsonic pills.
View All Quotes

Yeah but the point of that gas block (for me) was to be able to use a barrel with no custom work being done. I mean I can still use the AEM5 M4 collar on a 12.5" barrel but still.

The other question would be what length middy barrel you could use that gas block with.

I still am curious, cause I'm sure I'll end up trying to throw a custom upper together eventually
Link Posted: 11/10/2017 11:14:11 PM EDT
[#4]

Yeah but the point of that gas block (for me) was to be able to use a barrel with no custom work being done. I mean I can still use the AEM5 M4 collar on a 12.5" barrel but still.

The other question would be what length middy barrel you could use that gas block with.

I still am curious, cause I'm sure I'll end up trying to throw a custom upper together eventually
View Quote
Well, a mid-length gas port is 2" past carbine. So a 12.5" should have the same muzzle to gas port distance as a 10.5" carbine. One would think that one of the 12.5" middys on the market like the one from Triarc would work perfectly with the Spikes Gas Block.
Link Posted: 11/10/2017 11:22:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By SpyHawk:

Well, a mid-length gas port is 2" past carbine. So a 12.5" should have the same muzzle to gas port distance as a 10.5" carbine. One would think that one of the 12.5" middys on the market like the one from Triarc would work perfectly with the Spikes Gas Block.
View Quote
Now that would be very interesting and I imagine a sweet shooter.
Link Posted: 11/11/2017 12:03:42 AM EDT
[#6]
View All Quotes

Yes, but that still won't work with the AEM5. I'm not sure what the dimensional difference is between the two mounting systems, so I don't know what barrel length you would need for that.
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 7:56:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Does anyone know where, besides ADCO, one could find the compatible flash hider (birdcage-like)?  I've been keeping an eye out and it seems they are never in stock when I look.

I have a few projects (SBRs) that I'd like to use the AEM5 with, but definitely don't want to use the normal brake on.
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 9:47:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Yes, but that still won't work with the AEM5. I'm not sure what the dimensional difference is between the two mounting systems, so I don't know what barrel length you would need for that.
View All Quotes

There are some factory 13.7" midlength barrels out there.  Maybe those would work?
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 2:43:17 PM EDT
[#9]
On the M4 style suppressors(AEM2, AEM3, AEM4) starting from  the muzzle. Move rearward to where the threads on the muzzle brake start, from there to where the 20 deg taper starts should ideally be 2.06". From the same start point(front of thread) to the rear of the mounted suppressor will be 2.15".
Using the same method with an AEM5, AEM5-30, and AE30, the distance from the start of the thread to the start of the taper should be 2.5". The rear of the suppressor should be at 2.6".
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 3:18:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By k31user:
On the M4 style suppressors(AEM2, AEM3, AEM4) starting from  the muzzle. Move rearward to where the threads on the muzzle brake start, from there to where the 20 deg taper starts should ideally be 2.06". From the same start point(front of thread) to the rear of the mounted suppressor will be 2.15".
Using the same method with an AEM5, AEM5-30, and AE30, the distance from the start of the thread to the start of the taper should be 2.5". The rear of the suppressor should be at 2.6".
View Quote
Thanks for the info Ron. My AEM5 is hands down my favorite 5.56 can I own and I’m always looking for how creative I can get with it on builds.

My Spikes gas block/collar was delayed until tomorrow. I’ll try to get a measurement up and with Ron’s information we ought to be able to fine tune numbers.
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 3:33:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By A_Friendly_Manatee:
There are some factory 13.7" midlength barrels out there.  Maybe those would work?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By A_Friendly_Manatee:

If you look at the drawings from AE they say 2.7" for the M4 MBS and 3.2" for the AEM5 mount. So if 12.5" works for the M4 MBS and the AEM5 requires .5" more barrel, then you could get a 13.7" and cut it down and thread.
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 3:53:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Keep in mind that the dim. you mentioned are to the rear of a standard collar. Some of the collars(SPR long collar form example) are nearly 3/4" longer than they have to be. Custom collars can reduce the space required down to only slightly longer than the numbers in my previous post.
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 1:09:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ehudbengera] [#13]
You know, I could simplify this by just using the SPR-to-M4 collar on my Recce and buy an AEM4. The AEM4 and AEM5 are the same other than the mount. My rifle isn't a clone of anything so I'm good there. Then I can use the Spikes gas block and a 10.5" carbine barrel with the same suppressor and I'm good to go.

ETA the only thing I would have to change is the collar I have on my Recce. They are only like $20 so NBD.
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 6:03:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: pezboytate] [#14]
You know, I could simplify this by just using the SPR-to-M4 collar on my Recce and buy an AEM4. The AEM4 and AEM5 are the same other than the mount. My rifle isn't a clone of anything so I'm good there. Then I can use the Spikes gas block and a 10.5" carbine barrel with the same suppressor and I'm good to go.

ETA the only thing I would have to change is the collar I have on my Recce. They are only like $20 so NBD.
View Quote
If the Spike's on a 7.5" pistol or 10.5" carbine barrel works with the AEM2/3/4...

The AEM2/3/4 would also work on a 12.50" mid length and 15.88" rifle barrel. And the AEM5 would work on an 7.95" pistol, 10.95" carbine, 12.95" mid length, and 16.33" rifle barrel.
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 6:14:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: pezboytate] [#15]
Keep in mind that the dim. you mentioned are to the rear of a standard collar. Some of the collars(SPR long collar form example) are nearly 3/4" longer than they have to be. Custom collars can reduce the space required down to only slightly longer than the numbers in my previous post.
View Quote
@k31user

The AEM5 mounts .50" farther over the barrel than the AEM2/3/4?
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 7:12:01 PM EDT
[#16]

@k31user

View Quote
.45".
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 8:30:39 PM EDT
[#17]
.45".
View All Quotes

@k31user

.45".
Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 6:39:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Outrider] [#18]
I'm no machinist but this is what I measured last night. Let me know if there is anything in particular you guys are looking for. Hopefully this information is accurate.

So based on Ron's information below we could get away with a 11.15" barrel? 2.5"- 1.65" = 0.85" + 10.3" = 11.15". No timing of the brake was done so I guess some shims could increase length slightly to make a barrel length closer to 11" even. As a side note, @k31user what is the ideal amount of muzzle, if any, so be sticking out of the brake? Adding more shims to the brake should increase the length between the brake and collar allowing more turns of the can before bottoming out on the collar correct? How about ideal # of turns? I've always heard 6-9 is preferred.

View Quote
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 6:54:26 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm no machinist but this is what I measured last night. Let me know if there is anything in particular you guys are looking for. Hopefully this information is accurate.

https://i.imgur.com/wCC72mC.jpg

So based on Ron's information below we could get away with a 11.15" barrel? 2.5"- 1.65" = 0.85" + 10.3" = 11.15". No timing of the brake was done so I guess some shims could increase length slightly to make a barrel length closer to 11" even. As a side note, @k31user what is the ideal amount of muzzle, if any, so be sticking out of the brake? Adding more shims to the brake should increase the length between the brake and collar allowing more turns of the can before bottoming out on the collar correct? How about ideal # of turns? I've always heard 6-9 is preferred.

https://i.imgur.com/DyMmUuw.png

View All Quotes

https://i.imgur.com/wCC72mC.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/DyMmUuw.png

Hmm that sucks. So it looks like there is no factory barrel you could just stick those parts on. Unless you want to use the Spikes suppressors, I guess.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 6:58:32 PM EDT
[#20]

Hmm that sucks. So it looks like there is no factory barrel you could just stick those parts on. Unless you want to use the Spikes suppressors, I guess.
View Quote
Unfortunately I believe that to be true. 12.5" is going to be your best bet for factory options running the AEM5. If you don't mind a custom barrel profile then it appears you can shave another 1.5" or so off. Maybe we could get a group buy on some shortest barrels possible for AEM5?

Kind of makes me wish I can an AEM4 for some shorty action.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 7:46:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Unfortunately I believe that to be true. 12.5" is going to be your best bet for factory options running the AEM5. If you don't mind a custom barrel profile then it appears you can shave another 1.5" or so off. Maybe we could get a group buy on some shortest barrels possible for AEM5?

View All Quotes

Well I was going to buy an AEM5 regardless, since I already have my rifle set up for it. The other one was going to be built around a 10.5" chrome lined barrel. Now I am thinking that I could just buy a BCM 11.5" carbine upper, have ADCO pull the FSB and replace it with the Spikes GB, and chop the barrel to 11.0--11.15-ish. Leave the endcap and delta ring on it and use MOE SL handguards. If I am reading your post correctly that should work just fine with the AEM5.

If I buy a Toolcraft BCG instead of a BCM for it then I will have money left over for the barrel work lol.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 7:52:13 PM EDT
[#22]
A 12.5" barrel with FSP will work with an AEM5 with no barrel work or shaving the bayonet lug, as long as I use the M4-AEM5 collar and assuming the step in the barrel is cut to the actual M4 spec. Right?
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 8:45:28 PM EDT
[#23]
A 12.5" barrel with FSP will work with an AEM5 with no barrel work or shaving the bayonet lug, as long as I use the M4-AEM5 collar and assuming the step in the barrel is cut to the actual M4 spec. Right?
View Quote
I had to barely shave the front of the lug to make room for the M4 collar. But yes this setup will work. I recommend Ballistic Advantages offering as not all 12.5s have the M4 cut.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 8:52:14 PM EDT
[#24]
I had to barely shave the front of the lug to make room for the M4 collar. But yes this setup will work. I recommend Ballistic Advantages offering as not all 12.5s have the M4 cut.
View All Quotes
BCM does. Anyone know if it is in spec? I was wanting to stick with a chrome lined barrel for this one. Although my other rifle has a BA and I like it so I may end up with another one lol.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 11:22:59 PM EDT
[#25]

BCM does. Anyone know if it is in spec?
View Quote
BCM barrels (As of 2014 anyway) are not in spec. The collar to mount the AEM5 to a BCM barrel needs to be 0.2" longer than standard. Had to have a custom collar made to use my AEM5 on my de-FSB'd Kino upper.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 11:42:07 PM EDT
[#26]
I believe Daniel Defense and BA are the only ones out of the usual suspects to meet the spec right now.

Regarding the 11” or so barrels, after second thought it’s actually not too bad as all you need is a chop and thread. The contour for the AE collar is normally the pricey part of the modification but the gas block takes care of that. I may have to buy a cheap carbine barrel and get it chopped down to try.
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 1:06:59 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Keyst0ne:
BCM barrels (As of 2014 anyway) are not in spec. The collar to mount the AEM5 to a BCM barrel needs to be 0.2" longer than standard. Had to have a custom collar made to use my AEM5 on my de-FSB'd Kino upper.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Keyst0ne:

BCM does. Anyone know if it is in spec?
It's also common to run into issues with the diameter varying - another thing to watch out for.
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 3:39:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Twitchy:
Does anyone know where, besides ADCO, one could find the compatible flash hider (birdcage-like)?  I've been keeping an eye out and it seems they are never in stock when I look.

I have a few projects (SBRs) that I'd like to use the AEM5 with, but definitely don't want to use the normal brake on.
View Quote
ADCO is the only one I have seen. However, you can get a Smith Vortex flash hider with threads that they advertise are compatible with OPS Inc (and therefore AE) suppressors. Its pretty cheap too.
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 8:08:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Engel12626] [#29]
ADCO is the only one I have seen. However, you can get a Smith Vortex flash hider with threads that they advertise are compatible with OPS Inc (and therefore AE) suppressors. Its pretty cheap too.
View Quote
Yeah the one Adco makes and the Smith Vortex are the only ones I know of
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/965652/smith-enterprise-vortex-flash-hider-1-2-28-thread-with-m22x10-outside-thread-for-ops-inc-suppressor-ar-15-matte
Link Posted: 11/16/2017 10:57:06 AM EDT
[#30]
Well I just bought a BCM 14.5" middy off the EE. Comes with a custom collar. Guy says he sent it to Ron to have it made for his AEM5. I'll probably buy the smith vortex and have it pinned. Hopefully I'll purchase the AEM5 in Feb or Mar and have it by the end of next year.
Link Posted: 11/16/2017 9:09:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Search for pictures of first baffles using Vortex fh.
Link Posted: 11/17/2017 8:21:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ehudbengera] [#32]
View Quote
Is it that bad? Reason I was going to use the Vortex is because this rifle will not be suppressed much, the aem5 is going to live on my 16" that has the brake. The 14.5 will mostly be for shooting fast drills unsuppressed, but I still wanted the ability to use the can if I felt like it. Is the occasional slow firing going to fuck it up that much?

ETA: And what about the ADCO A1-style flash hider mount? Is it any better?
Link Posted: 11/21/2017 5:53:42 AM EDT
[#33]
Few pages back someone said Ron won't do the warranty if you use the the smith mount not sure if it's true or not but it wouldn't hurt to ask him. I know they work just fine though
Link Posted: 11/21/2017 9:57:00 AM EDT
[#34]
Is it that bad? Reason I was going to use the Vortex is because this rifle will not be suppressed much, the aem5 is going to live on my 16" that has the brake. The 14.5 will mostly be for shooting fast drills unsuppressed, but I still wanted the ability to use the can if I felt like it. Is the occasional slow firing going to fuck it up that much?

View All Quotes

Pretty much what I'm wondering.  I want a compatible muzzle device that isn't the brake or the tuning fork like vortex (although I have seen that cut down/shortened).
Link Posted: 11/21/2017 10:28:42 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Twitchy:
Pretty much what I'm wondering.  I want a compatible muzzle device that isn't the brake or the tuning fork like vortex (although I have seen that cut down/shortened).
View Quote
Spikes has a few options including a comp.

Link
Link Posted: 11/27/2017 6:55:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SpyHawk] [#36]
BCM Mk12 and AEM5 video MAC just put up.

YouTube
Link Posted: 11/27/2017 4:44:23 PM EDT
[#37]
7.5" and 10.5" barrels will work with the non-5 suppressor models and the Spike's gas block.

I use a large suppressor shim AND a crush washed on the brake to give it an extra .1-.2" but the suppressors thread on just fine.
Link Posted: 11/27/2017 11:03:13 PM EDT
[#38]
Ron helped me get eeem

Link Posted: 11/27/2017 11:09:56 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By plante74:
Ron helped me get eeem

http://imageshack.com/a/img923/1120/WBfXv5.jpg
View Quote
No horns?
Link Posted: 11/27/2017 11:10:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: k31user] [#40]
Link Posted: 11/27/2017 11:22:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: plante74] [#41]
View Quote
Look a tad closer
Link Posted: 12/1/2017 3:07:45 AM EDT
[#42]
That ADCO flash hider looks like exactly what I've been looking for.
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 9:43:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: artic777] [#43]
I wasn't interested in suppressors until reading this thread and now I've decided to build an 11.5 sbr and throw the aem4 on it. If I read the post about the distances correctly, the 11.5 DD govt profile with a 9" dd m4 rail should provide enough space to mount it, or am I cutting it a little too close?
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 12:04:44 PM EDT
[#44]
What gas block? I can measure my 12.5 when I get home from work but I think if you use a fixed FSB  and an 11.5" barrel you may need to take off the bayonet lug.
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 12:31:58 PM EDT
[#45]
It's a low pro gas block pinned by the factory, no fsb
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 7:28:15 PM EDT
[#46]
Are you talking about the DD MK18 rail? That's like 9.35". That is probably too long for an 11.5" barrel.

Most manufacturers list the actual length, you'll need to confirm it.
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 8:29:34 PM EDT
[#47]
The DDM4 is listed as 9.235". I've read that I need anywhere from 2.2-2.5" from the bare end of the muzzle.  I thought I saw somewhere in here that someone with a 10" rail and 12.5 barrel mounted one, but I've been all over the internet looking and don't remember.
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 9:57:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WillysJeep] [#48]
Anyone using a BA 18" SPR barrel with adjustable gas block and an AEM5? If so, how much gas were you able to cut out by restricting the gas port, if any? I don't want to waste the money on an adjustable if the BA port size is already on the smaller side and I gain nothing from adjustable. I will be using a full mass BCG and standard rifle length buffer and spring. I use SLR gas blocks on most suppressed AR's (so I have non-adj gas blocks in parts drawer to use) and it makes a difference but I have no experience yet with the AEM5 on a rifle length gas system and rifle length buffer/spring.

I know an adj is not needed, but wondered if they did provide a benefit, albeit potentially small.
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 8:56:45 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 9:46:32 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By bigbore:
I sell those because there is a demand for them.  In my experience, ALL the various flash hider mounts have had a negative effect on accuracy compared to the standard brake.   It could just be me, but I only use the brakes on my guns.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bigbore:
Originally Posted By Number0neGun:
That ADCO flash hider looks like exactly what I've been looking for.
I sell those because there is a demand for them.  In my experience, ALL the various flash hider mounts have had a negative effect on accuracy compared to the standard brake.   It could just be me, but I only use the brakes on my guns.
I bought one about a few weeks ago to try out on a 14.5".  I mainly use it to shoot in an enclosed area and the brake bite is pretty stiff.  Figured I'd give the flash hider a try.  I should know pretty quick on the accuracy test though.  That particular barrel is on of my most accurate AR barrels.
Page / 102
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top