Site Notices
Page / 101
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 11:03:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By HARMS4X:
AEM 5 meets 5.45x39 on a AK74 pattern.

Finally got around to this project.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/187307/0227D313-C313-4B50-929E-AFC0971D91B8-315028.JPG
View Quote
Neat! 16“ barrel?
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 11:43:52 AM EDT
[#2]
AEM 5 meets 5.45x39 on a AK74 pattern.

Finally got around to this project.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/187307/0227D313-C313-4B50-929E-AFC0971D91B8-315028.JPG
View Quote
Super cool
Can't wait to see the finished product
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 1:45:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HARMS4X] [#3]
Originally Posted By pezboytate:

Neat! 16“ barrel?
View Quote
15.6 bbl

16.5 when I silver solder the brake
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 9:03:34 PM EDT
[#4]
This thing sounds awesome.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 9:41:41 PM EDT
[#5]
I've been wanting to do this with a 5.56 AK.  Did you profile that barrel from a blank?
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 7:23:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Does anyone know if I can use the URX4 13" with a 16" barrel and still have enough room to mount the Allen Engineering brake and collar, and have enough space to mount the AEM5?
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 8:36:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By A_Friendly_Manatee:

I've been wanting to do this with a 5.56 AK.  Did you profile that barrel from a blank?
View Quote
Nope I used a standard 74 barrel and made a custome collar
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 2:52:22 PM EDT
[#8]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Does the back of the collar index off of the gas block/FSB, or does the barrel have a shoulder for the collar like most Ops/AE profile barrels?
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 4:07:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Does the back of the collar index off of the gas block/FSB, or does the barrel have a shoulder for the collar like most Ops/AE profile barrels?
View All Quotes

Its press fit. .002 press fit. I did all the collar work between centers to verify concentrically to the bore line. We put 120 rounds down range and it performed marvelous.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 4:33:50 PM EDT
[#10]
7n6 through it? If so, how do you plan on cleaning the can? That is if you do clean it.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 5:16:40 PM EDT
[#11]
There is so much commercial 5.45 out there that it's silly to run 7n6 but if I did I would take the can and run cold water through it, then MEK or Alcohol and throw it in the oven to bake off whats left.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 5:35:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Its press fit. .002 press fit. I did all the collar work between centers to verify concentrically to the bore line. We put 120 rounds down range and it performed marvelous.
View All Quotes

Thanks for the reply.  I might have to hit you up if my 5.56 AK project ever gets off the ground.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 7:06:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By ehudbengera:
Does anyone know if I can use the URX4 13" with a 16" barrel and still have enough room to mount the Allen Engineering brake and collar, and have enough space to mount the AEM5?
View Quote
If the URX 13" is actually 13" and not more, it will fit. The Geissele 13" rail with a 16.125" barrel has plenty of room.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 6:42:35 AM EDT
[#14]

If the URX 13" is actually 13" and not more, it will fit. The Geissele 13" rail with a 16.125" barrel has plenty of room.
View Quote
Even if it didn't, the AE reflex cans will fit inside of a URX4. No worries about clearance.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 10:11:18 PM EDT
[#15]

There is a target at the base of the first spur at 220 yards (the white dot), at the base of the second spur at 390 yards, and another at 710 yards at the third spur in the patch of dirt that can be seen. I can hit the 220 and 390 yard targets consistently but the 710 yard is a challenge, if I hit it 50% of the time I’m happy. 

KAC lower with their match trigger. 
Ops. Inc. 12th model
WOA 18” spr barrel.
Nightforce 2.5x10
DD rail
77gr. Handloads
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 12:04:47 PM EDT
[#16]
How hard is it to install the collar and mount for an AEM5 on a profiled barrel like the 18” SPR one BA sells?

I have installed muzzle devices properly before but never a two piece mounting system. Could not find many videos online and only a few install overviews online.

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 2:04:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By WillysJeep:
How hard is it to install the collar and mount for an AEM5 on a profiled barrel like the 18” SPR one BA sells?

I have installed muzzle devices properly before but never a two piece mounting system. Could not find many videos online and only a few install overviews online.

Thanks
View Quote
1. Test fit collar without set screw by sliding all the way to first step behind threaded shoulder - should be no wiggle.
2. Once fully seated, the back end of the collar should not be touching the gas block.
3. If 1. And 2. check out, then remove collar, degrease thoroughly, and place a drop of 242 or 243 loctite (blue) on the step and spread around with the collar and seat it fully against the step.
4. Time the set screw hole to wherever you want and "lightly" screw in the set screw ("lightly" as in barely touching the barrel with the short arm of an Allen wrench - any tighter you risk creating a burr on the barrel itself) Note: set screw is really just to make sure the collar stays in position until loctite sets up in about 24 hours.
5. Place crush washer and muzzle brake and hand tighten on threaded muzzle - note where the narrow spline ends up. Use shims between crush washer and muzzle break to time the narrow spline to approximately 10-11 o'clock to TDC. (This provides approximately 20-30 ft-lbs torque on the muzzle brake.)
6. Remove muzzle brake and crush washer +/- shims and degrease thoroughly the threads on barrel and inside muzzle device. You will have leas than 5 minutes working time after steps 7-8. - plan accordingly.
7. Place crush washer +/- shims and place 1-2 drops of 290 loctite (green) on the threads and hand tighten the muzzle brake.
8. Use a Crescent wrench and close it down on thicker spline on the bottom and gently snug up and time the upper narrow spline to 12 o'clock TDC.
9. Wait 24 hours for the loctite to fully cure for both collar and muzzle device.
10. If you make a mistake with timing, use a torch to gently heat up until you start to smoke slightly or you start smelling a "sweet"-like smell of the loctite. You can remove the muzzle brake with a Crescent wrench and the collar with a thick glove. Don't burn yourself. Then clean off the old loctite and start again from the beginning.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 2:20:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 5:37:02 AM EDT
[#19]
I just got my AEM 5 yesterday. It's my first suppressor purchase. Unbelievable sound reduction! Ron Allen is a genius and this can is a work of art! I can't wait to coyote hunt with this thing!

Brad
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 9:49:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By BMPRacing:
I just got my AEM 5 yesterday. It's my first suppressor purchase. Unbelievable sound reduction! Ron Allen is a genius and this can is a work of art! I can't wait to coyote hunt with this thing!

Brad
View Quote
Nice. What’s your host?
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 1:21:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BMPRacing] [#21]
Originally Posted By WillysJeep:

Nice. What’s your host?
View Quote
My SPR.

Brad

BEFORE:

RTUtah Approved:
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 1:58:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Has Ron made any M4S-type cans since he started AE? Does he ever do anything custom?

I would love to buy something like an M4S that doesn't reflex any further than the barrel shoulder. Would make a great little SBR can or for something like a PS90 SBR, which is growing in popularity.
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 6:57:14 AM EDT
[#23]
The M4S did reflex past the barrel shoulder.

Old link with pics
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 11:25:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Conqueror:
Has Ron made any M4S-type cans since he started AE? Does he ever do anything custom?

I would love to buy something like an M4S that doesn't reflex any further than the barrel shoulder. Would make a great little SBR can or for something like a PS90 SBR, which is growing in popularity.
View Quote
The M4S uses the same collar as an AEM4 and AEM3. Virtually little to no sound suppression, possibly some decrease in concussion, but definitely still a fireball out of an SBR.

One of the biggest benefits of AE suppressors is they do reflex over the barrel. Not only does it increase the volume of the first chamber but a correctly fitting collar will help maintain proper alignment of the suppressor to a concentrically threaded barrel. This also adds strength to the barrel/muzzle device/suppressor assembly should the rifle be inadvertently dropped on muzzle end.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 9:02:48 AM EDT
[#25]
Has there been any type of blast shield like what Surefire, SilencerCo and AAC make?

Dan
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 2:46:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By BMPRacing:

Brad
View Quote
Phil Seberger deserves all the credit for the design. I just build them.
RonA
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 3:49:41 PM EDT
[#27]
I am doing a 5.56 AK rebarrel to accomodate an AEM4, should have it back from the AK smith in a few weeks but will be a cool project and I can finally stop using my Form 1 can!
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 2:11:56 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By AGR1279:
Has there been any type of blast shield like what Surefire, SilencerCo and AAC make?

Dan
View Quote
Spikes makes one that they claim is compatible with Ops Inc brakes.

H.V.S. BLAST SHIELD
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 6:56:15 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By SpyHawk:

Spikes makes one that they claim is compatible with Ops Inc brakes.

H.V.S. BLAST SHIELD
View Quote
Thank you.

Dan
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 5:28:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MDStroup] [#30]
@k31user

I have a question. I was planning a forum 1 reflexive suppressor build specifically for my AR15 in 6.5 grendel around a griffin armament over the barrel mount muzzle brake. That plan may have fallen thru. I would love to be able to use the AEM5 because of the muzzle brake. But My AR15 is chambered in 6.5 grendel. So i am going to have to use the AE30. Both wonderful suppressors, i just wanted to be able to use the muzzle brake. Do you have any plans for a AEM30 any time soon? Also, what collar would i use for the AM30 on my grendel as my barrel has 5/8x24 threads and is straight 0.720 after the gas block?
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 5:40:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bigbore] [#31]
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 10:54:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Im looking for a can to use on my Colt Commando 11.5" barrel.  I cant seem to find what the difference between the AE22, AEM2, AEM3, or AEM4 cans are, beside the weight and length variances. Can someone give me a recommendation on what model to use? AE22 id say is out mainly because on the length. Im leaning on maybe the AEM3 simply because it seem to fall right between 2 and 4. I want to maintain a short overall length but not sacrifice on sound reduction. thoughts?
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 3:00:08 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By iluvmy86:
Im looking for a can to use on my Colt Commando 11.5" barrel.  I cant seem to find what the difference between the AE22, AEM2, AEM3, or AEM4 cans are, beside the weight and length variances. Can someone give me a recommendation on what model to use? AE22 id say is out mainly because on the length. Im leaning on maybe the AEM3 simply because it seem to fall right between 2 and 4. I want to maintain a short overall length but not sacrifice on sound reduction. thoughts?
View Quote
In order of level of suppression, AEM5>AE22>AEM4>>AEM3>>>AEM2.

Really the difference between an AEM5, AE22, and AEM4 are minimal. They all use the same baffle stack and really differ in how they attach to a barrel. The AEM5 and AE22 share thr same need for the barrel step to be at 2.4" behind the muzzle. The AEM5 requires the muzzle brake or flash hider (the muzzle brake will spare your first baffle and is recommended). The AE22 will direct thread onto a 5/8"x24 - an adapter is required to make your 1/2"x28 thread barrel to 5/8"x24 and Ron makes these. However, neither one of these suppressors will work well with your 11.5" barrel with FSB.

The AEM4 and AEM3 are really your best options, with me being partial to the AEM4 and I run this on 12.5" barrel with FSB as I find this gives the best sound suppression with the muzzle brake. It is quieter than an AEM3 by a good margin, but I will admit the AEM3 is a bit handier, especially on a 14.5" barrel. There is a collar fitting that allows for the AEM4, AEM3, and AEM2 to mount on an 11.5" barrel as all 3 share the same lockup dimensions - you may have to talk Ron into making this for you.

And as for an AEM2, no personal experience, but I've been told by Ron time and time again that the shortest that he would recommend is an AEM3 because any shorter than that really offers no valuable level of sound suppression. Not only that you will still get a fireball of some level rom your 11.5" barrel will be interesting to say the least.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 5:48:57 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By JAR-SPR:

In order of level of suppression, AEM5>AE22>AEM4>>AEM3>>>AEM2.

Really the difference between an AEM5, AE22, and AEM4 are minimal. They all use the same baffle stack and really differ in how they attach to a barrel. The AEM5 and AE22 share thr same need for the barrel step to be at 2.4" behind the muzzle. The AEM5 requires the muzzle brake or flash hider (the muzzle brake will spare your first baffle and is recommended). The AE22 will direct thread onto a 5/8"x24 - an adapter is required to make your 1/2"x28 thread barrel to 5/8"x24 and Ron makes these. However, neither one of these suppressors will work well with your 11.5" barrel with FSB.

The AEM4 and AEM3 are really your best options, with me being partial to the AEM4 and I run this on 12.5" barrel with FSB as I find this gives the best sound suppression with the muzzle brake. It is quieter than an AEM3 by a good margin, but I will admit the AEM3 is a bit handier, especially on a 14.5" barrel. There is a collar fitting that allows for the AEM4, AEM3, and AEM2 to mount on an 11.5" barrel as all 3 share the same lockup dimensions - you may have to talk Ron into making this for you.

And as for an AEM2, no personal experience, but I've been told by Ron time and time again that the shortest that he would recommend is an AEM3 because any shorter than that really offers no valuable level of sound suppression. Not only that you will still get a fireball of some level rom your 11.5" barrel will be interesting to say the least.
View Quote
Exactly the info i was looking for. Thanks! Now any pics of your 12.5 w/ AEM4
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 9:03:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Deadsquiggles] [#35]
I believe I saw somewhere, maybe in the first couple pages in this thread, that the Spike’s Tactical LRS one piece mount will work for one of the AE suppressors, maybe it was the AEM4, not a 100% sure.

I was curious if this is actually true. I’m pretty much dead set on a reflex style suppressor and I’d love to be able to put an AE suppressor on my SPR inspired 18” Stealth. I really don’t need to get into the clone game but there’s no other suppressor is I’d rather put on it.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 2:25:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Deadsquiggles:
I believe I saw somewhere, maybe in the first couple pages in this thread, that the Spike’s Tactical LRS one piece mount will work for one of the AE suppressors, maybe it was the AEM4, not a 100% sure.

I was curious if this is actually true. I’m pretty much dead set on a reflex style suppressor and I’d love to be able to put an AE suppressor on my SPR inspired 18” Stealth. I really don’t need to get into the clone game but there’s no other suppressor is I’d rather put on it.
View Quote
Yes the spike's stuff will work for whichever suppressor model it's setup for in ops inc measurements...IIRC spikes makes both a 12th model and 14th model length one piece mount.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 2:25:40 PM EDT
[#37]
In other news, my AK is happening

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 2:30:30 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Mattyvac:
In other news, my AK is happening

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/226579/PA140028-342769.JPG
View Quote
TA-DA! M4-S

Link Posted: 10/26/2017 2:44:36 PM EDT
[#39]

TA-DA! M4-S

http://obviouslyoperator.com/files/m85-suppressed-1.JPG
View Quote
Super slick.

I only own the AEM5 out of the family but I must say it's hands down my favorite can among my collection which includes some of the "latest and greatest" QD cans.
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 3:54:01 PM EDT
[#40]

TA-DA! M4-S

http://obviouslyoperator.com/files/m85-suppressed-1.JPG
View Quote
That's neat
Not some you see every day
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 3:58:17 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By bigbore:

I have AE30s and AEM5s .30 in stock.  Your barrel will require a custom contour/collar for either one.
View Quote
What mount is used for the AEM5 30?
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 9:51:57 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By dmac7979:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By dmac7979:
Originally Posted By bigbore:

I have AE30s and AEM5s .30 in stock.  Your barrel will require a custom contour/collar for either one.
Same collar distance as AEM5, AE30, or AE22. Step is 2.4" rear of muzzle.
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 8:56:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Does anyone use an AE30 on a 5.56? I have a 16" set up for the AEM5 but now I am thinking about getting the AE30 instead so that I can also use it on the .300 blackout or 6.5 grendel I plan on building next.
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 9:11:16 PM EDT
[#44]
Attachment Attached File

So does anyone know if, when used with a 10.5" barrel, this thing is in the correct position to be used with the AEM5 or the AEM2/3/4?
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 9:48:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Outrider] [#45]
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/441788/Screenshot_20171108-200808-357271.JPG

So does anyone know if, when used with a 10.5" barrel, this thing is in the correct position to be used with the AEM5 or the AEM2/3/4?
View Quote
This has my attention. I’d love to see how short you could go with an AEM5.

Any barrel length restrictions?

ETA: I’m going to buy one for science and play around.
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 11:46:14 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Outrider:

View All Quotes
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/441788/Screenshot_20171108-200808-357271.JPG

Let me know what you figure out. I know the Spikes reflex suppressor uses the Ops Inc/AE pattern mounting system, I just can't figure out if it is the same as the AEM5 or the AEM2/3/4.

I'm assuming the 10.5" barrel would be with carbine gas and the 7.5" with pistol. If it is spaced for the AEM5 you could also buy the AE30 and use it on .300blk or 6.5G SBRs. . .

I'm going to buy an AEM5 for my Recce that is already set up for it (I built it around the 16" BA barrel that is contoured for it), and I think a 10.5" 5.56 with an AEM5 hanging off the front of it would be fucking awesome.
Link Posted: 11/9/2017 12:07:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: pezboytate] [#47]

View Quote
Disregard
Link Posted: 11/9/2017 12:55:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Outrider] [#48]

I don't think it will work with the AEM5 or AEM2/3/4 on a 7.5" pistol or 10.5" carbine barrel. Looking at my measurements, the Spike's mount seems to be 5/8" shorter than the AEM5 and 3/8" shorter than the AEM2/3/4. It may work on an 8.125" pistol, 11.125" carbine, 13.125" mid length, or 16.5" rifle barrel with the AEM5 or a 7.875" pistol, 10.875" carbine, 12.875" mid length, or 16.25" rifle barrel with the AEM2/3/4.
View Quote
I figured there has to be something in between a 12.5 and 10.5 (for carbine gas) that will work. I've got the gas block and Spike's own compatible muzzle brake (nice price for those not caring about clone correct) on the way. I've got a spare 10.3" barrel that I'll mock up with measurements to see what we can pinpoint.

My favorite 5.56 can I own is my AEM5 so figuring out how short I can go is something I look forward to.
Link Posted: 11/9/2017 2:17:06 PM EDT
[#49]
I figured there has to be something in between a 12.5 and 10.5 (for carbine gas) that will work. I've got the gas block and Spike's own compatible muzzle brake (nice price for those not caring about clone correct) on the way. I've got a spare 10.3" barrel that I'll mock up with measurements to see what we can pinpoint.

My favorite 5.56 can I own is my AEM5 so figuring out how short I can go is something I look forward to.
View All Quotes

I don't think it will work with the AEM5 or AEM2/3/4 on a 7.5" pistol or 10.5" carbine barrel. Looking at my measurements, the Spike's mount seems to be 5/8" shorter than the AEM5 and 3/8" shorter than the AEM2/3/4. It may work on an 8.125" pistol, 11.125" carbine, 13.125" mid length, or 16.5" rifle barrel with the AEM5 or a 7.875" pistol, 10.875" carbine, 12.875" mid length, or 16.25" rifle barrel with the AEM2/3/4.

Please post any info you can get after you receive it. A useful dimension would be how far in front of the gas block the rear of the suppressor is.
Link Posted: 11/9/2017 6:04:25 PM EDT
[#50]
AE30 on my M24A2
Page / 101
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top