Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/3/2014 1:18:44 PM EDT
I'm sure this has been beaten to death around here... but does anyone have any opinions on the Sparrow vs. the Spectre II?

The Spectre II is about $80 cheaper, but I'm not that concerned about that. Everyone says the suppression levels are almost identical.

The mono-core of the Sparrow seems easier to take apart than the Spectre, but the Spectre has better first round pop.

The general consensus seems to be that they are both quite similar, so at this point there doesn't seem to be a right answer.

Hosts are going to be a P22 and a 10/22.

Any input or personal experiences? Anecdotes or recommendations? Let me have it.
Link Posted: 1/3/2014 1:51:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Bought a Sparrow... love it. Buying a Spectre now for a secondary .22 suppressor. IMHO, they're both great cans.
Link Posted: 1/3/2014 2:03:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Spectre II (although I have both). I stainless pin tumble my baffles so I prefer that configuration over a monocore.

Link Posted: 1/3/2014 2:04:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Spectre II (although I have both). I stainless pin tumble my baffles so I prefer that configuration over a monocore.

View Quote

Can you not do that with a monocore?
Link Posted: 1/3/2014 2:07:59 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You probably could but I have the smaller Thumler A-R1 and the monocore doesn't fit.

Also the Spectre II tube is stainless steel and the Sparrow's isn't.    

Sorry, I was wrong, the Sparrow's tube is indeed stainless.

Link Posted: 1/3/2014 2:17:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

You probably could but I have the smaller Thumler A-R1 and the monocore doesn't fit.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The SS Sparrow's tube is stainless.
Link Posted: 1/3/2014 2:17:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally, I planned on buying a stainless Sparrow, but ended up buying a Spectre II instead.     I am totally happy with the level of suppression, ease of maintenance, and size/weight.    

This Fall, I wanted a second rimfire can and wanted a Sparrow just for something a bit different.    Everybody was sold out,.so I just ended up buying a second Spectre II.     So,  I think that pretty much sums up how happy I am with the Spectre.

Cant beat the price either.  Less than 300 bucks shipped from Silencer Shop.

To my untrained ears, I cannot discern any frp with the Spectre on either a rifle or pistol.     On a pistol, its quiet and has a nice tone.    On a rifle shooting subsonic ammo, the Spectre is stupid quiet.    You literally hear the hammer drop, and then the bullet smack the target down range.      Its about the most fun you can legally have with your clothes on.
Link Posted: 1/3/2014 2:52:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm sure this has been beaten to death around here... but does anyone have any opinions on the Sparrow vs. the Spectre II?

The Spectre II is about $80 cheaper, but I'm not that concerned about that. Everyone says the suppression levels are almost identical.

The mono-core of the Sparrow seems easier to take apart than the Spectre, but the Spectre has better first round pop.

The general consensus seems to be that they are both quite similar, so at this point there doesn't seem to be a right answer.

Hosts are going to be a P22 and a 10/22.

Any input or personal experiences? Anecdotes or recommendations? Let me have it.
View Quote

You have just about covered SparrowSS/Spectre II characteristics perfectly.  Although Sparrow SS FRP is not a big deal to me.  I have both and use them on the same firearms you have ... At least my wife does.  The baffle stack and monocore both tumble well in my full size tumbler.   When we decided to add a third suppressor, we opted for another Spectre II only because of cost.  A second benefit that has since been realized is the extra length of the Spectre II.  On the 22lr SBR I am building, the Spectre II will stick out the front of the hand guard without the use of a spacer (4"bbl, 7" hand guard).   Both are great and will provide you with great suppression with SV ammo.
Link Posted: 1/3/2014 3:07:44 PM EDT
[#8]
For a small .22 like the P22, I'd opt for the smaller of the two, SS Sparrow as it also performs well on 10/22s. I like the Spectre II, but it's a little long for a P22. 22 cans are fun and they all seem to have pros and cons. Here's my collection from left to right, Gemtech G5-22, Liberty Essence, SWR Spectre II, SWR Warlock II, HTA Guardian, AAC Element 2 and SS Sparrow...
Link Posted: 1/3/2014 3:09:53 PM EDT
[#9]
I have the SS Sparrow and have been very pleased with it.
Link Posted: 1/3/2014 3:34:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
For a small .22 like the P22, I'd opt for the smaller of the two, SS Sparrow as it also performs well on 10/22s. I like the Spectre II, but it's a little long for a P22. 22 cans are fun and they all seem to have pros and cons. Here's my collection from left to right, Gemtech G5-22, Liberty Essence, SWR Spectre II, SWR Warlock II, HTA Guardian, AAC Element 2 and SS Sparrow...
<a href="http://s680.photobucket.com/user/slipjett/media/IMG_6099_zpsf4d65e13.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv165/slipjett/IMG_6099_zpsf4d65e13.jpg</a>
View Quote

Very nice family pic.

Between the Sparrow and Spectre, I'd opt for the Sparrow due it being a tad more compact.  I'm not concerned with suppression levels as I can't tell between the two.  Both clean very easy and fit in a tumbler.

If you're going to be using a compact host, then a small-ish .22 can would make more sense than a bigger one.  On a rifle, say 10/22, it really doesn't matter to me as I can't tell as much....even though you have like 5-6oz on the end of a barrel.  Weight on the end of a barrel is more prominent on say a 5.56 or .30 cal for me at least.

You'll end up getting more .22 cans in the future, cause they're so much fun.
Link Posted: 1/3/2014 4:08:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
<a href="http://s680.photobucket.com/user/slipjett/media/IMG_6099_zpsf4d65e13.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv165/slipjett/IMG_6099_zpsf4d65e13.jpg</a>
View Quote

Holy Crap! That's one heck of a collection you have there!
Link Posted: 1/3/2014 5:02:48 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv165/slipjett/IMG_6099_zpsf4d65e13.jpg
View Quote
And here I thought the Spectre and Warlock were identical beside the SS vs Al materials.

Link Posted: 1/3/2014 5:17:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did that change recently? Silencerco's page says it isn't and there's also some discussion here

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/3/2014 7:44:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Did that change recently? Silencerco's page says it isn't and there's also some discussion here

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The one in that picture is the old Sparrow, not the SS Sparrow.
Link Posted: 1/3/2014 8:59:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Indeed, I stand corrected. The Sparrow does have a Stainless Steel tube.
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 11:53:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Get the sparrow, you won't be disappointed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top