Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/11/2012 4:27:39 AM EDT
here's my situation:

I wanted an accurate 22lr pistol as a host for the AAC element so I picked up a Ruger 22/45 lite. (both are brand new = very happy).  bought fedral 550 bulk ammo at wallmart and it seemed to work good. quiet, cheap, but then i noticed... it was keyholing (bunch of rectangles and tears rather than perfect 22lr holes but some were a perfect hole. I would say 60-70% keyholing). So i took the suppressor off; and it stopped keyholing (bunch of perfect holes). The only other ammo I had was remington subsonic... loaded it up and shot it suppressed. It was not keyholing (only had 20 rounds to check so i'm pretty sure it was not keyholing)...

Remington Subsonics are 38 grains
Fedral 550 are 36 grains with a highter velocity

so my question is: is this normal? does everybody who shoots suppressed have stabilizing issues? is there something about the lower velocity/higher grain that is stabalizing the bullet? Should I be pissed (i am upset) that standard bulk pack ammo is tumbling and not shooting right? I dont want to purchase subsonic bullets (they are more expensive) and i feel i shouldn't have to. this would defeat the purpose of my setup all together. Is there a fix?

I have not had a chance to try the suppressor on any other hosts.
And it is nothing obvious... no baffle strikes. Put masking tape on end of barrel and shot it... it was difficult to tell anything other than a bullet was exiting.

Please advise,
Thanks
Link Posted: 6/11/2012 6:41:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Isn't the Element known for keyholing with a certain core?  Ring up AAC and see what they say.
Link Posted: 6/11/2012 7:42:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Isn't the Element known for keyholing with a certain core?  Ring up AAC and see what they say.

That's the Prodigy.
Link Posted: 6/11/2012 7:58:16 AM EDT
[#3]
i will not be quick to point a finger untill I can get another host to try it on. same goes for the pistol... i just thought someone might have had similar issues since this is a popular setup.
they are both new and it is unfortunate they are not playing well together.
Link Posted: 6/11/2012 8:09:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's the Prodigy.

Ahh, right.  Knew it was one of the AAC rimfires.
Link Posted: 6/11/2012 10:44:25 AM EDT
[#5]
The asymmetry and porting in the baffling can cause bullet instability and also POI shift.    Poor alignment could also cause instability so you might want to check that as well.  That isn't a problem shared by all suppressors.
Link Posted: 6/11/2012 11:32:13 AM EDT
[#6]
I bet the factory muzzle threads are not as conceneic to
the bore as they should be.
Link Posted: 6/11/2012 12:30:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I bet the factory muzzle threads are not as conceneic to
the bore as they should be.

This is what im guessing, I have no keyholing issues with my tacsol upper on my 22/45 using the same ammo and same suppressor.
Link Posted: 6/11/2012 12:46:08 PM EDT
[#8]
the ruger lite is not a threaded barrel. it is a sleeve barrel of sorts designed to save weight... maybe I should just sell the upper and get a tacsol as that is what I really wanted...
I will still do some testing with different suppressors and hosts when my buddy will allow.
Link Posted: 6/11/2012 12:47:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
the ruger lite is not a threaded barrel. it is a sleeve barrel of sorts designed to save weight... maybe I should just sell the upper and get a tacsol as that is what I really wanted...
I will still do some testing with different suppressors and hosts when my buddy will allow.

The barrel itself isnt threaded but it doesnt mean its not concentric.
Link Posted: 6/11/2012 12:56:39 PM EDT
[#10]
I understand. IF it is the host firearm: will Ruger help me if it keyholes with a suppressor even though it shoots fine unsuppressed?
Link Posted: 6/11/2012 1:47:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I understand. IF it is the host firearm: will Ruger help me if it keyholes with a suppressor even though it shoots fine unsuppressed?

I dont know but it cant hurt to call and ask.
Link Posted: 6/11/2012 3:25:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Looks like there is a "wave washer" underneath the thread protector/muzzle cap.  Are you supposed to use the "wave washer" when using a suppressor?
Link Posted: 6/11/2012 4:30:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Looks like there is a "wave washer" underneath the thread protector/muzzle cap.  Are you supposed to use the "wave washer" when using a suppressor?

No.
Link Posted: 6/11/2012 4:48:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Your buddy is not a "MANIAC" of sorts is he?

Seems like you've solved your problem with different ammo. I understand you don't want to spend the extra coin on subs but why not try some "target" ammo. Honestly if a baffle strike occurs the cost of subsonic ammo will be insignificant and the least of your concerns.

I tend to shoot subs in all my suppressed set ups since they just sound better and I save the HV stuff for the M16 and HK kits.
Link Posted: 6/11/2012 7:34:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

When the liner/barrel are put in the aluminum outer it all becomes one and its now a barrel.
The reason why I know its not threaded concentric to the bore is because I know how and what steps they take to make
the aluminum barrels with liners.
They do all the machine work on the barrel/upper then anodize it before they put the liner in.
A couple of us that make aluminum barrels with liners do most of the machine work, install the liner then
thread the barrel concentric to the bore after the liner is in so no chance of the liner slipping or not getting installed
concentric to the threads.
If the liner is off .003 four inches before the end of the muzzle and zero off at the muzzle then it will be off .003 four
inches after the muzzle wich will be in the can.
Now just imagine if the bore of the liner is off .015 or even more as then the chance of a baffle strike or even a small rub
will increase.
When the threads are cut after the liner is installed then the outer aluminum can be threaded concentric to the bore of the liner.

Link Posted: 6/11/2012 9:00:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Great discussion!  From the pic below, I can see how the threads could possibly be not concentric with the bore if the threads are cut before installing the nut/sleeve/liner(the part with the threads) over the barrel.

Link Posted: 6/12/2012 4:43:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Try some other standard velocity ammo. No need to buy subsonics. 40+ grains if you can.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/13/2012 4:22:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Ok. Had a chance to try different ammo, different host and different can.... the results: the RUGER 22/45 LITE BLOWS (at least the one i have) and the element is awesome. this is actually good news for me by comparison.
Using CCI minimags, CCI subsonics, Fedral 550, and Remington subsonics: they all keyholed except CCI subsonics (40 grain) which I find odd. Remington subsonics were kind of good, but still keyholed. regardless, it is not preforming as it should.
So swapping suppressors, the Ruger Lite still keyholed. (bad ruger)
after swapping hosts it functioned flawlessly. (the element)
So we called Ruger and they wanted me to send in my gun and suppressor... no way... good on them for wanting to pay to ship it back and look at it, but still... no way.
I have since remedied the situation by putting the LITE in the furthest corner of my house and will try to forget about it. It does shoot fine unsuppressed.
But you may ask "how is that a remedy?"... well i have since purchased a model previous to the LITE that is actually a solid barrel. It works like a champ as it should. this purchase was nerve-wracking fearing the same problem would occour.
Perfect holes suppressed and unsuppressed with all aforementioned ammo. So aside from having a shit gun now, i am a happy camper.
So IMHO, don't buy a LITE if you plan on suppressing... the design, in my opinion, is not a good as a good old steel barrel that has gone into a lathe and churned out concentric threads.
Thanks for all that lended their 2cents, I am grateful.
Folly
Link Posted: 6/13/2012 5:12:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/13/2012 5:46:19 AM EDT
[#20]
this would mostly match my results becuase the subsonic stuff seemed to stabalize better. try standard velocity stuff and let me know if that keyholes... it shouldn't
Link Posted: 6/13/2012 5:56:49 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/13/2012 8:47:25 AM EDT
[#22]
i understand. yea, they all remain subsonic leaving the barrel... well that is a heck of a note. I guess i just had a lemon. awesome.
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 11:16:34 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
i understand. yea, they all remain subsonic leaving the barrel... well that is a heck of a note. I guess i just had a lemon. awesome.

Keep complaining to Ruger.  Tell them you need you pistol replaced.  I wouldn't consider sending you can in with the pistol but if you continue to insist the threads are not concentric to the bore they may just evenually replace it for you.
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 10:37:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Keep complaining to Ruger.  Tell them you need you pistol replaced.  I wouldn't consider sending you can in with the pistol but if you continue to insist the threads are not concentric to the bore they may just evenually replace it for you.

I agree with this as I would think they would at least check the thread and shoulder job.

Link Posted: 6/27/2012 2:15:58 AM EDT
[#25]
I run around 5 different hosts on my element with no issues what so ever. I run only CCI subsonics and CCI green tag (old stuff that's also subsonic).
I'm going to say that rifle barrel needs to be inspected by someone. Have them inspect  the crown and barrel for concentricity.

You shouldn't have these problems with the element.
Link Posted: 6/27/2012 8:34:52 AM EDT
[#26]
FYI, I resolved the issue by replaceing the entire host on my dime. The NEW host (not a LITE but the railed version) is perfect. Eats all the ammo, keeps it all subsonic, stabalizes everything, and is quiet and accurate! As previously mentioned, the LITE I had was a lemon. I have reasonable groups at 75 yards now! how awsome is that?!?
Link Posted: 6/27/2012 9:20:25 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
FYI, I resolved the issue by replaceing the entire host on my dime. The NEW host (not a LITE but the railed version) is perfect. Eats all the ammo, keeps it all subsonic, stabalizes everything, and is quiet and accurate! As previously mentioned, the LITE I had was a lemon. I have reasonable groups at 75 yards now! how awsome is that?!?

I have the same pistol that you bought the second time around.  They're great.  I too believe you got a lemon...but I wouldn't settle with it and just run it without a can...I'd make them replace it so I could use it as another host.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top