Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/7/2002 2:23:25 AM EDT
I have yet to purchase my first AR type weapon, and as such am looking for suggestions from the guys actually shooting them. Throw out some information, and get me up to speed please. Brand and model suggestions are what I am looking for here. Thanks for the help guys.
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 2:32:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Given no stated purpose for the weapon (as it HP competitions, varmint hunting, plinking) it's as easy as ABC.

Armalite
Bushmaster
Colt

These are the most popular 3 (order has nothing to do w/ how I'd rate them), and while others will argue which is best, if you stick w/ one of these choices you'll be getting a first rate AR.

These are also available choices:

Rock River Arms
DPMS
Olympic

I would rate these in the order listed.

Give the guys a hint at where and how you want to use the weapon and they will give you more specific reason why one would be better for your use.

Mike

Link Posted: 3/7/2002 2:36:56 AM EDT
[#2]
This one will just be used for plinking and the occasional pasture popping. (Family land) To put it as simply as possible, This is purely a pleasure gun.
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 2:47:26 AM EDT
[#3]
The Bushmaster M4 is very popular, but for my money which I'm tight w/ I'd look at a Rock River Arms lower purchase from Pete-in-NH, (just type in "search" Pete-in-NH and pick topic authors) and then purchase a RRA upper from Donnie here:

SABLE CO.
Donnie Pridemore
1117 Deer Run Rd.
Port Byron, IL.  61275
(309)496-3030
(253)595-5271 Fax
Email  [email protected]
www.sableco.net

I'd also check out the Eqipment Exchange as you may find a Bushmaster or other bargin there.

Welcome aboard,
Mike  
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 5:59:07 AM EDT
[#4]
If you're looking for a pleasure weapon, you'll certainly want to purchase a sub-cal conversion kit.  The Ceiner kit runs about +/-$125 and it allows you to run .22lr through your weapon.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top