Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/5/2002 8:23:04 PM EDT
I was at the range with a couple of my brothers doing some plinking.  A guy showed up that I had met a couple weeks before and offered to let me try his Freedom Arms .454 casull.  What a blast!  Before this the largest caliber I had fired was a .357 Mag.  He also let me shoot his .44 Mag Desert Eagle.  

Before this I was thinking of getting a .44, now I KNOW I am going to get some kind of big bore hunting handgun.  Anyone out there got a Ruger SuperRedhawk in .454?  What do you think of it?
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 8:26:18 PM EDT
[#1]
The Ruger is a LOT less punishing than the Freedom Arms.  I don't have either, but I've fired both back to back.  The Ruger is a nicer looking gun and I'd take it in a second if I had a need for it.  

FA seemed to snap my wrist back too much.
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 8:37:29 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm going to the Phoenix gun show in April and I'm getting a Taurus Raging Bull .454 for myself and one of my friends is gonna get one too, we have looked at the ballistics on the .454 and .480 and have both decided on the .454
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 9:36:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Plus, with the .454, you can shoot lower recoiling .45 Colt loads.  
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 9:50:21 PM EDT
[#4]
I've owned both the Raging Bull and the Super Redhawk in .454 Casull...

Both are fantastic guns, but the factory muzzle porting on the Taurus makes it a WHOLE lot nicer to shoot...
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 10:30:50 PM EDT
[#5]
I love my Taurus Raging Bull in .454 Casull.  I have shot the Ruger and did not think that it was as fun to shoot as the recoil was a bit more, but not too bad.  I haven't shot the Super Redhawk, but if it isn't factory ported you had better plan on having it done and adding in the cost.  

I think any .454 pistol should be ported and don't really plan on shooting it that much.  About 50 rounds is all I can take in one day.  Yes you can shoot the .45 Colt, but after I spent the better part of an hour cleaning out the cylinder after shooting some of the Winchester .45 Colt ammo, I think I will pass on doing it again.  I got the gun to shoot the .454 because I think it is a blast.

I have also shot a 1 1/2", 5 shot, group at 30 yards indoors with my Taurus which is plenty good enough for me to shoot hogs with iron sights.  
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 10:43:03 PM EDT
[#6]
The sheer hitting power of the .454 was impressed upon me at the tender young age of about 8.  I was at a gun show with my dad and one of the dealers had a 1/4 inch thick steel plate on his table that had been hit 3 times.

A .22LR had made a small mark that you could scrub off.

A .44 magnum had made a dent in the plate.

A .454 Casull had left a clean hole through the plate.  No scrap blown out of the way, just a clean hole... I was in awe.
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 10:45:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

About 50 rounds is all I can take in one day.    U R the man! I had a freedom arms 4 inch and about 5 to ten was plenty in any 24hr period. The porting+extra length really must help.
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 10:59:02 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Quoted:

About 50 rounds is all I can take in one day.    U R the man! I had a freedom arms 4 inch and about 5 to ten was plenty in any 24hr period. The porting+extra length really must help.

No, I am just a glutton for punishment.  My wrist will hurt for a week after shooting and we try not to shoot too many Corbon 335 grain hard cast bullets.  The 260 grain Winchester is a lot easier on the shooter.

I read one review of the Taurus, Freedom Arms and the Ruger .454 Casull.  The only gun that the writer did not put in a Ransom rest for the testing was the Taurus.  I think the grip design is the key.  The Ruger has wood and rubber grips and believe me, you wish they were all rubber.
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 6:04:12 AM EDT
[#9]
There's a video floating around the net of Large Game hunting in Africa (1hr I think) using just the .454.
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 6:13:17 AM EDT
[#10]
There's a 454 Raging Bull at the range where I shoot. It's my favorite gun to rent. You just gotta love that flash. The other folks there kinda look at me funny when I do a little rapid fire, hey, what can I say, I'm a big guy, and that gun goes back where it started pretty fast, it's just beggin to go *boom*boom*boom*boom*boom*. It's not my fault they've got cheap muffs. Paper people BEWARE!
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 6:20:03 AM EDT
[#11]
I've been thinking about adding a 454 to my collection.  I was leaning toward the Taurus, but I just found out that Legacy Sports International sells a lever action carbine called the Puma that chambers the big 45.  I'm going to have to check it out.
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 6:25:47 AM EDT
[#12]
My dad has the Raging Bull in .454.  Once I shoot 1 cylinder (5 rounds), I've had enough.  I have fractured my wrist before, and the recoil from that thing, sure doesn't help any.  It damn sure is impressive though, and a blast to shoot!

Link Posted: 3/6/2002 7:00:39 AM EDT
[#13]
If you think a 454 is cool, try shooting a 45/70.  Them sumbitches leave rubber from the grips on your palms. :D

The only gun I didn't like to shoot was a Thompson Contender in 45/70.  It was painful.  45/70 in any other gun is quite manageable though.  That straight back Contender design sucks for 45/70.  It is punishing.
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 7:17:18 AM EDT
[#14]
I own both a Freedom Arms and a Ruger. Contrary to Minman72, I find the FA much more pleasant to shoot than the Ruger. But that may just be on of those personal things. The Ruger is a nice gun, and a good deal for the money.
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 7:25:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Just traded in a Freedom Arms premier grade in 454..  Lots of recoil, but i've never had a better made gun..  Everything was finished to a tee..  Very tight..  And as long as you didn't start twitching it would put them inside 2 inches at a hundred yard..   Great gun..  But not a plinker you can shoot all day...
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 9:14:06 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I think any .454 pistol should be ported and don't really plan on shooting it that much.  About 50 rounds is all I can take in one day.  Yes you can shoot the .45 Colt, but after I spent the better part of an hour cleaning out the cylinder after shooting some of the Winchester .45 Colt ammo, I think I will pass on doing it again.  I got the gun to shoot the .454 because I think it is a blast.

I have also shot a 1 1/2", 5 shot, group at 30 yards indoors with my Taurus which is plenty good enough for me to shoot hogs with iron sights.

I shot 5 shots out of my buddy's Freedom Arms/Casull 454, it's a real thumper.

I have a F.A. sales brochure, and they don't recommend shooting 45LC thru it because later, it will cause the super-high power 454 rounds to stick in the chamber because the 45LC rounds will cause chamber erosion.
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 9:27:40 AM EDT
[#17]
The 454 Casull is pretty tame compared to the 475 Linebaugh.

Both Bowen Arms and John Linebaugh will convert Ruger Bisleys to 475 Linebaugh.
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 12:10:15 PM EDT
[#18]
I liked the guys Freedom Arms that I shot, but I don't know that I want to spend $500 to a $1000 over what a Ruger or Taurus would cost me.  I don't think I would shoot it enough the justify the extra cost.  I'm kinda partial to Rugers anyway.  
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 12:57:36 PM EDT
[#19]
i kinda like the taurus raging bull over the FA and the Ruger. just felt better to me
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 1:36:14 PM EDT
[#20]
thanks for the comments on the recoil. A friend bought a FA 454 and eather 45/70 or 475 i cant remember(I was kinda in awe over the 454 ive wanted one for years) anywho he was wanting to go to the range. You guys just brought back the deep craving to go. thx  
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 2:24:32 PM EDT
[#21]
I had a Freedom Arms .454 Casull, and though it was nicely finished, it broke all the time.  It went back to Freedom Arms on three ocasions for repairs, not to mention that it broke three scopes in the process as well.

My .445 SuperMag is substantially more accurate than my old .454 and much more reliable as well.  Though a bit less powerful, I kept the Super Mag and sold the Freedom Arms .454 Casull.

I am probably the only guy you'll find that had problems with a Freedom Arms gun, but I am also a guy that has broken more Leupold scopes than any other brand on the market as well.

I don't make this up....I just tell it like it happens to me.
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 8:11:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Check out this 454 muzzleflash!
www.pistolwhipvideo.com/Wallpaper.htm

coyote3
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 10:22:48 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I had a Freedom Arms .454 Casull, and though it was nicely finished, it broke all the time.  It went back to Freedom Arms on three ocasions for repairs, not to mention that it broke three scopes in the process as well.

My .445 SuperMag is substantially more accurate than my old .454 and much more reliable as well.  Though a bit less powerful, I kept the Super Mag and sold the Freedom Arms .454 Casull.

I am probably the only guy you'll find that had problems with a Freedom Arms gun, but I am also a guy that has broken more Leupold scopes than any other brand on the market as well.

I don't make this up....I just tell it like it happens to me.

Yeah that recoil is not good on optics..  Sent my leupold 2x back twice..  Great service from both companys,Freedom and Leupold, but it is a hassel to find you are suddenly shooting two feet high....
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 2:47:10 PM EDT
[#24]
I got the Raging Bull. First time I went out I shot 75 rounds. 50 Factory, 25 reloads. Only stopped because I ran out of Ammo. I'm 59 and out of shape. Read weak arms. My palm was sore that next day. At my age that's the only thing I do that entails the use of my palm so no comments please.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top