Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/5/2002 3:39:26 PM EDT
I'm considering an AK-47 type rifle and wondering which is considered the best quality, Romanian, Russian or whatever. What price range is about average?
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 4:08:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Bulgarion
Take a look at the SA M-7 by Federal arms corp.if you like plastic furniture.
Look at the SSR-85 series from Arsenal USA for wood.
Both seem to be built on top quality Bulgarian actions.
Look to pay $550 to $800 for one of these well made post ban guns.
If that is to rich for you the, Romanian SAR-1 and WASR conversions should set you back $270 to $350 they aren't pretty but they go bang when they are sopposed to, just look for canted gas tubes and front sights.
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 5:45:34 PM EDT
[#2]
romanian SAR treats me fine
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 5:50:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Don't rule out an AK74 in 5.45X39. It's a flatter shooting round, with less recoil, and lighter wieght than the traditional 7.62X39 AK47.

For the most part Romanian is the way to go with those. And you can always get a thumbhole stock one (better quality sometimes than the SAR-2's), and then convert it to pistol grip with enough US parts.

Other than that in 7.62X39 the Bulgarian ones are great (a bit pricey), as are the Norincos. But they also come with thumbhole stocks. But again you can convert them.

The SAR-1's (Romanian) are generaly great for the money, and already have pistol grips. They are ugly, but they shoot great.

Hope this helps somewhat.

Also, don't forget there's an AK47 side to this site when you have more AK questions. Campy and company have lots knowledge to share, and are happy to do so.
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 4:42:40 AM EDT
[#4]
I just wanted a blaster AK, so I bought a SAR-1 from SOG about 3 weeks ago for $279 + shipping.  It does all I want, ~3-4" groups at 100 yards with iron sights, pretty good for my old eyes, and it shoots EVERY time I pull the trigger.  Ordering another 3k of ammo today!
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 5:21:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 8:20:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Depends on your budget?  Stamped or Milled Receiver?  What Caliber?

If you have no preferences, I'd go with the SA-M7, great fit and finish, new Bulgarian parts (except for the US ones of course).  Milled receiver made in the US.  In good ole 7.62x39.

If on a low budget get an SAR1.
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 3:51:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks, guys. I just want a cheap blaster to have a representative of that type of rifle. I have a Romanian SAR-1 on the way.
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 3:59:44 PM EDT
[#8]
I love my SAR-1. If you have a choice buy one you can look at first. They do have problems with canted sights like mentioned. You can really make them look good by refinishing the furniture. I stripped mine then refinished with linseed oil, gives a nice hand rubbed finish. I also completely stripped the rifle down, threw it in the tub and scrubbed it with SOS pads. Seems they are painted when assembled. Under the paint was a nice park job. I then dried the rifle in my wife's oven. After drying I wiped it down with cold bluing. Turned out really nice. Also added a slat brake which I modified with a set screw. This one is a keeper. With time the finish wears and they resemble the rifles you see on CNN.
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 4:31:53 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
If you're looking for something cheap to kill paper with any of the SAR's will do great. Best bang for the buck firearms wise.

Please dont encourage people to kill me

paper
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 6:54:07 PM EDT
[#10]
I love my SAR-1 really fun to shoot.  I am married to my SAR-3, An AK in .223 is really the best of all possible worlds rifle wise.  

A .223 AK that is 100% reliable all day every day without excuses or explanations, and it will shoot 2" goups at 100 yards all day long.  All this for less than $400 a pop, I actually paid closer to $300.  Whats not to love.

I had an SAR-2 but sold it to buy a nice .22
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 5:51:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Do yourself a favor and order a SAR-3 (Romanian AK Clone chambered in 5.56 NATO) from AIM surplus or Century Arms.  Although SAR-3's are scarce right now and have increased from ~$250 to over $350 since 9/11, they make for a great rifle assuming you do your homework and add the RSA trigger group.  I've heard that AIM Surplus is about to begin selling them again.  Earlier SAR-3's were plagued with hammer geometry problems that led to failure to fire and annoying trigger slap problems due to the installation of US made fire control parts - ALL of these are elimated when you install the RSA trigger group www.redstararms.com ($80.00).  The SAR-3 is chambered for 5.56X45 NATO and comes with a 16" barrel. You can get 30 round steel mags (only chose Weiger, I got mine from www.interordnance.com for around $13 each when you buy the 4-pack on sale), that function flawlessly.  I've shot a few hundred rounds of Q3131A, PMP SA, IMI SS109, and other surplus ammo through mine with no problems at all since installing the RSA trigger group.  2MOA isn't uncommon with an SAR-3 and it's a blast to shoot an AK with so little recoil.  You also don't have to worry about the quality and availability of that 7.62X39 or 5.45X39 imported ammo since the SAR-3 eats the same stuff that your AR does.  The only problem I've found is that you'll find yourself ordering those S.A. battlepacks a lot more often!
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 7:17:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Most AK's are pretty stout weapons.  Perhaps you should search the gun shows and newspapers in search of a pre-ban?  They're really not that rare or expensive.

If you don't want to go that route, just get a Romak.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top