Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/5/2002 11:19:29 AM EDT
What do you think about a pre ban Armalite 180? What is one worth? I found one with 5 mags and scope mounts for $900. Is that fair? Thanks
Dave
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 11:58:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/5/2002 12:00:47 PM EDT by 5subslr5]
Dave,
there were three versions of the AR-180 made - the Costa Mesa, Howa and the Sterling.
Which is the rifle you're looking at ?

You mention five mags. Are these marked ArmaLite (for the 20-round mags) or Sterling if 30-rounds or 40 rounds ?
Ar-15/M16 mags can be readily converted but just aren't worth as much money.
What % would you rate the rifle ?

Just to give you a guide line, if the mags are all factory as described above and the scope-mount factory then you have a minimum of $325.00 in mags and mount and to me that would be a "BUY".

Again just as a rough guide, generally the perceived value by manufacturer is as follows:
1)Howa (about 4,000 made)
2)Costa Mesa (about 4000 made)
3)Sterling. (about 12,000 made)
Now many people believe the Sterling is the best shooter of the three so go figure.

The barrel on the AR-180 is 1:12 twist so you'll need to shoot 55 grn bullets.

You'll find the little puppy is a tack driver !
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 4:13:33 PM EDT
I'm not sure which one it is yet. I just saw it listed and wanted to get a little background information before I called. Any rough ideas of values for the different makes? So these are decent rifles? How do they compare to AR15's other than the 1/12 twist? Thanks
Dave
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 7:14:11 PM EDT
Do a search, you'll find out everything and anything you want to know. Basically similar to an AR15 except it has a piston gas system rather than direct gas impingement.

Whether your deal is good depends on the condition. If the rifle is in excellent condition it is a good deal for a Sterling and a great "buy immediately" deal for a Costa Mesa or a Howa. All things equal, a Costa Mesa or Howa is worth $300-$400 more than a Sterling.
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 7:51:25 PM EDT
Thanks for the info. I did try a search here going back as far as I could and only got a few threads about the new AR180 that Armalite is putting out. I did a Google search and didn't find too much more. I take it the value in these comes mainly from their rarity? I'm really not looking for a collectors item but I guess if its a good enough deal, what the heck.
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 8:13:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/5/2002 8:14:22 PM EDT by Chairborne_Ranger]
Wow. This rifle has been discussed in glorious detail (much contributed by yours truly) in the past few months.

Try here:
www.sterlingwebpages.com/ar180site/ar180home.htm
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 8:30:59 PM EDT
Thanks for the link.
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 8:52:02 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Fingers:
Thanks for the info. I did try a search here going back as far as I could and only got a few threads about the new AR180 that Armalite is putting out. I did a Google search and didn't find too much more. I take it the value in these comes mainly from their rarity? I'm really not looking for a collectors item but I guess if its a good enough deal, what the heck.

I believe the value comes from the AR-180 being a very fine rifle.
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 9:05:08 PM EDT
I never meant to imply that it wasn't. It just seems to me that there aren't many of them around and parts seem to be scarce so that is what drives the value of them up. The new ones Armalite is going to make are fairly inexpensive. Will that affect the value of the originals or will they hold up like the preban AR's do?
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 7:52:55 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Fingers:
I never meant to imply that it wasn't. It just seems to me that there aren't many of them around and parts seem to be scarce so that is what drives the value of them up. The new ones Armalite is going to make are fairly inexpensive. Will that affect the value of the originals or will they hold up like the preban AR's do?

I agree with subsailor (I was surface sailor and brown water) on this, not much else . The original 180s are fine rifles and I believe the 180B may make it go up as the originals might become more in demand when people start seeing and firing the 180B and realizing what they missed by not having a preban also. Here are some pictures of my 180B with my original 180s, 1 Sterling, 1 Howa, and 1 Costa Mesa (see subslr's post above about the different ones).

The 180B and my Sterling 180.

The 180B and my Sterling both scoped. The 180B accepts all the original mounts and in this picture is has a B Square mount and Tasco scope I had been using on the Sterling. It now belongs to the 180B.

This is all 4 180s together with the Howa and Costa Mesa folded and showing both sides.

These last two are of the buttstock. Some had expressed concern that the buttstock was glued on, but as you can see, it is screwed on. Others asked about storage space. Well there it is.

Link Posted: 3/12/2002 7:58:19 PM EDT
Nice collection, Larry. I have yet to see my first 180B but I think I am gonna need one . . .

Hey Fingers, look at the bottom of the list of forums, there's one for the AR10 and AR180.
Top Top