Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/5/2002 10:24:05 AM EDT
This past weekend my mother gave me a call.To tell me her neighbor whos husband has recently pasted on,had a few rifles for sell.And wanted to know if I'd like to take a look.To cut the story short when I got to her house on Sunday she took me to the basement and showed me what she was looking to sell.To my pure pleasure in the group I seen a old Colt Sp-1 box and thought to myself she may give me the box,(thought it would be nice to have a box for one I already have).But to my surprise in the box layed the rifle along with all the goodies.There is some surface rust but everything seemed to work the box had a little moisture damage to one end with some basement mold.Other wise it was the Holy Grail to me looked better than some pre bans I've seen selling for 1600 some times more.I made a offer of 1200 knowing I could not go past 1350 she jumped on that faster than I could think of what my counter offer was going to be.She also had a 03 Springfield some one done up for hunting 2 older 30/30s my dad got and a old 22looked like a falling block of some kind.I did tell her she could (most) likely get more for the Colt,my Dad gave me the evil eye when I made my offer.Her words were I was a nice kid and looked on as family.so I told her when the snow finaly broke ans spring came I,d be there for spring clean up.The deal was great and I could not be more happy with my new toy.Just can't get over the felling that I wore a mask.  
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 10:39:24 AM EDT
[#1]
$1200 is very fair for an SP1, even with the box.... since it has some maisture damage and surface rust.  I wouldn't think she would be able to get any more for it... and most any dealer would offer far less.
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 11:06:03 AM EDT
[#2]
I have to agree with FALARAK.
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 11:15:45 AM EDT
[#3]
I wouldn't feel one bit guilty. If she was gun savy and not greving, she could probably clean it up and get $1500-1600 for it. But it seems highly unlikely that this woman would do that. Most likely someone would of taken advantage and offered her $700 and she would think that was alot and took it.
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 11:17:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 12:53:07 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I wouldn't feel one bit guilty. If she was gun savy and not greving, she could probably clean it up and get $1500-1600 for it. But it seems highly unlikely that this woman would do that. Most likely someone would of taken advantage and offered her $700 and she would think that was alot and took it.

$1500-$1600 for an SP1 is way too high, NIB or no.  Also he said that it had surface rust, which decreases the value.

I got an SP1 from a former neighbor when he moved last summer for $650.  That's a spectacular price, especially when you consider the fact that it hadn't been shot more than a few times and spent most of it's life in a humidity-controlled safe.  It's good to have friends.  He was moving back to the UK and couldn't take the rifle with him so he gave it to me for a song.

You did OK.  It wasn't a steal, so I wouldn't feel guilty if I were you.
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 1:02:39 PM EDT
[#6]
RAH, you are a good man, offered a good price, and got what you wanted. good for you and good for her. Widows should hold a special place for us all. Always offer a fair price!
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 1:47:53 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
RAH, you are a good man, offered a good price, and got what you wanted. good for you and good for her. Widows should hold a special place for us all. Always offer a fair price!

I agree
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 10:11:19 PM EDT
[#8]
No offense, but I think that was foolish to offer so much for a first offer...

That rusty gun is probably worth no more than a grand...

These guns are still cheap at the  gunshows if you look for them...

A month ago, I bought a "mint" SP-1 for $954 TOTAL, with tax, NICS, and (3) 30-round mags included...

Again, no offense, just my opinion...

Although I've been known to do the same thing when I've got a real hard-on for a particular gun...    
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 10:33:53 PM EDT
[#9]
I wish I could go to gun shows where you live.  Where I've been staying (job searching) here in Kansas, everybody wants $1300-$1600 even for the off-brand stuff.  I think the only SP-1 I saw for sale was for like $1800.
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 11:01:53 AM EDT
[#10]
For me the deal was great.Like I said Pre ban Colts even the older SP-1s carry a high price.Even the ugly ones are hard to find for less than 1500 in my AO.As for the surface rust after getting her taken apart and checking everything over and given a much needed cleaning and oiling everything came out as good as new.Used some break free and bore cleaner and it removed what little rust was on the barrel by the front sight base,and under the hand gaurds.No pitting what so ever.Hell even all the paper work and owners manual was still in the sealed bag.The bolt shows minor marks as if the action was worked.On the bolt face its self it shows no marks at all.The rifling is as sharp as the day it left the plant.After talking to Mrs.Vandenberg she said she can not remember it ever being fired and did not even know he still owned it.To some it may seem I spent to much to other maybe not enough.Here where I live I walked away with a very good deal!
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 4:44:15 AM EDT
[#11]
My dad used to say "a good deal has to be a good deal for everyone in it."  Sounds like you're happy, and she's happy.  Good deal.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top