Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/5/2002 8:12:53 AM EDT
I am new to your boards and I am looking to buy a .308 magizine fed rifle. I would like to get an M1a but I understand the high cap mags are really expensive, I also understand that the mags for FALs are pretty cheap, the only problem with the FAL is that I her that alot of them are crap, My question is: first off whitch would be a better rifle FAL or M1a, second if I went with a FAL with one would be a good one to get and about how much would it be? third if I went with the M1a about how much do 20 round mags go for?

Thanks for your help

Josh
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 9:13:18 AM EDT
Crap about FALs? The are some crappy FALs (Hesse Arms to be exact), but there are some nice ones. DS Arms makes and excellent FAL, but they are pricey, going for $1500. The other option is to build one. Most people say build on an Imbel reciever, check out www.fnfal.com for more info on that.

To answer your questions: Both the M1A and FAL are fine rifles I guess it would be a personal preference. A descent FAL with 2 MOA can be had for about $700, while an M1A with the same will cost at least $1000.

If you went with the FAL everyone recommends the DS Arms rifles but if you want to go cheaper, get one on an Imbel reciever.

Finally M1A magazines seem to range from $15 to $60 a piece. Right now you can get a 10 pack of brand new 20rd FAL magazines from Tapco for $100.
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 9:19:52 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 11:55:22 AM EDT
FAL!.....A good FAL.
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 12:00:14 PM EDT

Originally Posted By raf:
M1A mags (GI) run about $35 and up. Chinese copies are reported to be acceptable as well.
The M1A rifle is a fine gun, but its pricing and the cost of its mags hurts it greatly, IMHO.

I agree that the Chinese copies are good, functions just as good as the genuine GI ones.
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 12:42:16 PM EDT
If you do any night shooting the fact that the M1A can have a flash hider (except in Kalifornia) might be important. I've found that most rack-grade M1As will shoot as well as the higher-end FAL-type rifles. The match-grade M1As are really a waste of money unless you are going to use it for service rifle.

You might want to consider a ChiCom M-14. They are about half the price of a Springfield and don't always need to be upgraded. One problem that they have is that the bolt is sometimes made of relatively soft steel and that can screw up the headspacing. However, they are the most "mil-spec" of any of the M-14 type rifles, being made to the same specs, and being forged to greater hardness. The Springfield receivers are cast and aren't as hard.

There are plenty of good FALs available and a lot of variation, but I still prefer the M-14 type.

Strong Points of the M1A:

1. Generally more accurate than the FAL.
2. Very simple system to operate as there is no gas valve to adjust, just load and shoot.
3. Easier (but that's subjective) to disassemble.
4. More tolerant of "dry" (unlubricated) operation.
5. Proven reliable in all condition from desert to Arctic.
6. Much better iron sights than the FAL.

Strong Points of the FAL:

1. Easy to operate, but can be complicated because of the adjustable gas valve.
2. Much better scope mount platform than the M1A.
3. Is fairly modular like the AR-15, allowing all kinds of mods to be done on one receiver.
4. Parts are far more readily available than parts for the M1A (particularly the shrinking supply of USGI parts).
5. Stuff (parts, mags, etc.) is cheaper.
6. Base gun can be built for cheap.

Bottom line is that people like very different things. Aesthetics play a part, and I find the M-14 type to have a grace that the FAL just doesn't have. Additionally, a very strong case can be made for the AR-10. If I were buying a .308 autoloader now that's what I would be going for. Lots of choices that others can't make for you.
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 3:41:44 PM EDT
Redmanfms I agree with most of what you said except that I would argue that the FAL can run completelty without lubrication, at the expense of durability of course. And the FAL is just as if not more reliable than an M1A, also the sights on mine are really quite good and very similar to an M1A with regards to sight picture, they do require tools and some fiddling to adjust though.
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 4:46:49 PM EDT
Thanks for all of your Help!
I think I am leaning twords a Springfeild Stadard M1A, I checked at the local Gun shop today and they Have one for $1,499. Im still not sure, but I do like the Flash Hider, The shop didnt have any FAL types in stock but if I do end up going that way the STG58A Will be the one I get (thanks RAF).BTW? is 1500 a decient price for that gun?

Thanks again
Josh
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 7:11:56 PM EDT
You really need them both. Right now I have 1 M1A and 3 FALs, so I guess I need to buy 2 more M1As. If only the wife were deaf and dumb...
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 9:35:40 PM EDT
$1500 hundred bucks is high for a standard model M1A. Shop around some and see what's available. I picked one up about a year ago for $1150. Of course that was before 9/11. Prices have probably increased some since then.

I really like my M1A and would not part with it. I would also like to buy a FAL and an AR-10 though. I can't tell you which one to buy, you just have to try out both of them and see which one is right for YOU. They are both great guns.

-SS
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 6:15:56 AM EDT
If it's one or the other, go with an FAL.

Any thing from DSA or Arizona Response and I believe you'll be very happy. Personally, I would stay away from the franken-FAL's, they are too hit or miss in term of quality.

That said, CDNN Investments list Loaded M1A's for $1299 (I think).
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 7:41:45 AM EDT
That price is a little high. You probably shouldn't pay any more than $1300 for the Standard. I want one too.

www.springfieldarmory.com/prod-rifles-m1a.shtml
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 9:15:53 AM EDT
had the same dilemma.
finally bought a dsa lw carbine
loved it!
then bought a dsa stg58
loved it!
now i'm looking at a m1a
so that's my problem now.
Top Top