Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/4/2002 11:44:45 AM EDT
want to build another fal.
thinking about a 17.375" para barrel for ergonomics sake.

talk me into it- or out of it.
all opinons welcome.

rest of weapon: prob penguin drop stock, perhaps bipod, maybe alum lower, certainly dsa reciever, for sure fse belgium short dummy fh.

if you got a cool one, post a pic!

oh, i already have an l1a1.
Link Posted: 3/4/2002 1:21:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/4/2002 1:21:44 PM EDT by Bermshot]
Everything souds good EXCEPT for the aluminium receiver. Stick with steel (Imbels are the best for the money). An aluminium receiver for the .308 just doesn't seem like a good idea, when you consider their bad habit of wanting to blow up.
Link Posted: 3/4/2002 1:38:54 PM EDT
i'm gonna post a pic of mine in about one week and a half, i'm mounting a folding stock on it.
HUNTER FROM ARGENTINA
OUT.
Link Posted: 3/4/2002 3:28:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/4/2002 3:29:54 PM EDT by Wadman]
Since PBR mentions a DSA receiver, his upper receiver will be steel (machined from a forging to boot). But an alloy lower is fine. No worries of an alloy upper like those from WAC receivers.

If you're going to build a short, light, and handy FAL, don't bother with the bipod. It's not that useful and will only add weight you just went to the trouble of removing. An 18" overall barrel length is good. You'll only lose about 50-70 fps of muzzle velocity (as tested using RG and DAG surplus ammo).
Link Posted: 3/4/2002 5:06:00 PM EDT
pbr:

I have a 16.25" built on a DSA type-1 reciever. It has no brake, so it is super short. I had the barrel crowned. I used a steel lower for extra strength and durability. the whole thing is finished in satin black Metacol III. This configuration is as light-weight as you could ask for. It is also the gun my friends most often want me to bring shooting. I think you will really enjoy the para configuration!
Link Posted: 3/4/2002 6:08:47 PM EDT
I think that the para is cool as long as you have a rifle length one already, can't have one and not the other!! BTW does your FSE fake flashider have holes in it or not?
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 9:09:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/5/2002 9:17:38 AM EDT by pbrstreetgang]
HUNTER- look forward to your pics, you lucky so-and-so!

Wadman- yeah i know, i may get the slotted bbl anyway, for shits and giggles.

Bat- sounds cool! i think you're right.

4wheelin- fse dummy fh is nearly identical to the belgian, except no internal thread for bfa and the holes are not bored all the way through(and +1mm in dia.).
it even has the serrations on the end for the bfa! it's function is just as a cosmetic piece.
though... you could finish drilling the top holes perpindicular to the bore. i'm not sure if that would provide any compensation unless you also counter-bored it from the back to provide an expansion chamber -a/la the wilson's break and cav-comp. internal dia is .365.
hmmm... maybe a project i will attempt- provided it does not then reduce flash!

any input?

oh! in shotgun news, the dealer warehouse has new imbel chrome lined para bbls 17.375 length(with bipod slot and chrome lined gas tube) for $179.
should i jump on this?
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 9:29:31 AM EDT
have you checked out
dsa's lw carbine?
love mine.
Top Top