Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/2/2002 3:01:54 PM EDT
Specifically, what are the steps in the manufacturing process for each type of case-rimfire, centerfire, rimmed centerfire.
I'm mostly curious about how the base of the cartridge is made. Its easy to figure drawn brass but what of the thick part in the base?
TIA
BP
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 4:27:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Your best bet is to do a web search or browse reloading/ammunition manuals.  I've seen articles that do a decent job explaining it in two pages, with one page being a picture from blank stock to finishied case.
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 7:48:35 AM EDT
[#2]
I have been to the factory of Starline Inc., www.starlinebrass.com/ when they were in Santa Fe Springs, Calif., about 10 miles SE of L.A. They have since moved to Sedalia, MO. I have seen them make 38SPL cases. They buy brass cups(1/2dia X 3/4 inch long) from Revere Copper and Brass. They use one of these cups to make each finished case. They feed these cups into a machine and out comes a 38SPL case on the other end.
OT:From all outward appearances there is no difffernce between a 38SPL and a 357Mag except for lenght, right? Wrong! The 357Mag case is heat treated for additional strength.

Starline in addition to their own brass, also is a subcontractor for Winchester, Remington etc. They have a drawer full of these headstamp dies.
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 2:36:05 PM EDT
[#3]
The best way to manufacture brass is to hammer brass slugs through a progressive series of dies until you reach the desired dimensions. The result is brass that is strong. As you can imagine, the equipment required is expensive. This process is only cost effective for very large production runs.

Another method involves turning brass from rod stock. This method doesn't yield brass as strong as the previous method. But it's more cost effective for producing small lots of obselete brass. I think Bertram uses this method.

As to your question regarding case head dimensions, I believe that's determined by the dies.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top