Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/2/2002 2:28:57 PM EDT
do you shoot at a range or an area where other shooters leave their brass.....?

i have been picking up empty brass caseings since i was a lyttle kid & had to dodge dinosaurs too..!

but, i recently have picked up some shell cases, .223/5.56mm, & kinda studying them, one in particular has highly noticeable "twist" marks on the head near the rim, 180 degrees apart, wyth a slight burr that is noticeable to the touch, several other empties showed "twist marks, others did not, after filling my jacket pocket & going home & examining the indented primers wyth a 50X scope, i discovered the one wyth "twist" marks & burrs also had a badly pitted firing pin, i positively IDee'd 5 different rifles.........

my question: is/are these "twist" marks a head space problem ? or is it a possible pressure problem ?? do your AR15s show different marks on the head of fired rounds ?

do you look at them closely to know ??

if you know, does the markings differ wyth differing ammo ?
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 3:05:01 PM EDT
[#1]
C'mon, Your just cashin in the Mongo(scrap).Just kiddin!
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 4:31:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd guess the marks are made when the bolt rotates to lock and unlock as the rifle cycles. For hot loads or soft brass, you should be able to see the ejector impression and maybe the extractor claw mark on the extraction groove.
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 6:29:03 PM EDT
[#3]
I quit picking up 223 when I found I can buy it for $100/M delivered.   Is there a ring near the base of the case?  High pressure.  It could just be a burr or slight defect in the chamber.  I am assuming that the cases are not striped like the HK 93 leaves them.  If in doubt throw it out or put it in your recycle bin, a case head separation is not worth the risk.
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 4:56:10 AM EDT
[#4]
i thynk everyone totaly missed THE point !!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 6:26:47 AM EDT
[#5]
CactusJack,

Single shear on the rim = autoloader such as AR or Mini 14. If it has a round dimple on the across from the shear it's a AR. If its a square dimple,Then maybe a Mini 14.

180* marks or single mark with out a dimple on the face of the rim =  bolt gun.

Fluted brass = HK rifle.

Marks on all of the cases = dirty chamber?.

To see if the rifle chambers are out of spec, you would need to mic the cases for case blow out. Any marks that you find may be due to dirty chambers or marks made by the locking lugs or action during ejection.

Link Posted: 3/3/2002 9:02:47 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
i thynk everyone totaly missed THE point !!!!!!

So what exactly is your point???

Or should we play 20 questions?

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 12:57:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Dano,

interesting !!..., i am familiar only personaly wyth the AR15s, thats why i study fired case heads......, i do hope i can find the person who is shooting the rifle that has deep twist marks & pitted firing pin..., he is heading for trouble......

Tubby,
interesting name, that was my cousins name when we were lyttle kids....

i probaly won't be reloading the .223's, i just lyke to look at fired brass...

Firepower,
yes!! at one tyme i was collecting brass to have melted down & cast into an 8 pounder brass cannon..., the man who owned the mold died & his stuff was sold at auction or hauled away as "junk"

sgtar15,
my point.........? hell man i have no idea now !! i re-read my note & i left part of my original thot out.......

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top