Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/2/2002 10:16:26 AM EDT
Some of you know, and most probably don't care, that I love shooting Sporting Clays.

Here on Long Island NY where I reside the only public Sporting Clays range has been shut down by a local politician and a bunch of anti's.

The range, Suffolk Trap and Skeet, located in a county park and formerly operated by a concessionaire, has been shut down for almost a year because of dubious and questionable charges of the operators failure to clean up lead.

Several years ago, the County, was in need of some extra funds to cover up one of their usual political pork monetary scandals. In an effort to raise funds they sold the adjoining property across the street to developers who promptly put up a housing tract. The resulting homes were sold for bargain rates because they were next to the range (Shotgun only). Immediately the homeowners began trying to get the range removed due to noise pollution. A private company surveyed the noise accusations and found that the range made the area no more a noise problem than most of Long Island.

Failing in this the neighbors decided on a new tack, lead polluiton. After beating back a series of attempts at closure the antis finally convinced a county legislator to take up their cause. This politico, Fred Towle, has succeeded in getting the range closed temporarily because the former operator didn't clean up the lead as he was supposed to.

Another county legislator, Ginny Fields, has taken up our side and is fighting for us to reopen the range. She needs support not only from Suffolk County residents, BUT FROM ANYONE WHO MIGHT USE THE RANGE, regardless of where you live.

See next post to continue
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 10:18:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Continued from above: :)

Here are the particulars from an E mail I received:

Once again, Fred Towle (LD 3, Suffolk County, NY) wants to close the Suffolk
County Trap & Skeet Range. Mr. Towle has a long history of being anti-gun
and has seemed to make it his life long dream to close this respected
resource. He does not care 'how' he does it, he just knows that he 'wants'
to do it!

Please call Legislator Towle @ (631) 852-1300 or fax him @ (631) 852-1303 or
email him @ [email protected] and tell him why the range needs to
stay open.

Then, call, fax, email Legislator Ginny Fields @ (631) 854-4909, (631)
854-4928 or [email protected] and show her your support.

You may want to contact County Executive Gaffney, too!
V631) 853-4000
F: (631) 853-4818
E: [email protected]

Please, you don't have to be from Suffolk County, NY. You just have to be
someone who MIGHT use the Trap & Skeet facility.

On Thursday, March 14, 2002, at 1:00 p.m., the Suffolk County
Legislature‚s Parks, Sports and Cultural Affairs Committee will meet and
will be discussing a bill sponsored by Legislator Fred Towle regarding
Suffolk Trap and Skeet in Yaphank. Legislator Towle is asking for an
environmental impact study and attempting to form a relocation committee
to move the facility to another location. It is with the utmost
importance that you and fellow sportsmen attend this meeting. This will
be the time for citizens to speak before the Legislative Parks Committee.

Sportsmen and sportswomen will be given the opportunity to voice their
concerns over the closing of Suffolk Trap & Skeet. Any person attending
will be given the opportunity to present their opinion regarding the
closure or any actions or proposed alternatives.
The meeting will be held in the Rose Caracappa Auditorium at the William
Rogers Legislature Building. If you have any questions, please feel free
to contact me. I look forward to seeing you on Thursday, March 14th.
Sincerely,
County Legislator Ginny Fields
1227 B Montauk Highway
Oakdale, NY 11769
Fax= 1-631-854-4928
E-Mail= [email protected]

If any TFL'ers are in the metro NY area, even if you never shoot clays, your voice will make a difference. I have personally shot at Suffolk T & S with people from all over the country, many from New Jersey and Connecticut, and even some from other countries.

Sorry for the long post.

Geoff Ross
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 10:31:17 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm a Suffolk Co. Res/landowner and will send a letter & try to attend.
Link Posted: 3/4/2002 5:26:15 AM EDT
[#3]
K80, I will be attending the meeting but you are not telling the whole story. As you know "Charlie" did not pay his rent allowing the county to close him down. If his rent was on time the range would be still open. The range has not been closed for a year, more like 4 months. Mike.
Link Posted: 3/4/2002 4:23:02 PM EDT
[#4]
E mails sent and "Towle" is a TURD, but Mike is right about the rent thing.  We do need this range it would be a real shame to lose it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top