Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/1/2002 10:13:12 AM EDT
Now that my new Bushy M4 is on the way, I am also trying to get all the other accessories/ammo in place to head to the range as soon as it arrives.

Anyone have any experience or knowledge about this round? I simply chose it as a "middle of the road" compromise between amount/price when perusing the ammoman.com website.

thanx in advance for your help,
Chris

...SUA SPONTE...
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 10:17:56 AM EDT
Chris,
If your "Bushy" (here I'm assuming you're referring to a firearm not a.......) has a 1:9 twist barrel and unless you specified something different I suspect that's the barrel it will have, your accuracy will be better served with a 62grn or 64 grn bullet.

The 55grn bullet came out along with the very early AR-15's those rifles had 1:12 twist barrels.

(Just my $.01)
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 10:38:04 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 10:57:31 AM EDT
The Winchester Q3131A is good ammunition and will serve you well. Dependent upon your shooting prolivities, you may want to pick up some of the Sportsmans Guide South African military surplus, as well
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 1:07:07 PM EDT

Originally Posted By 5subslr5:
Chris,
If your "Bushy" (here I'm assuming you're referring to a firearm not a.......) has a 1:9 twist barrel and unless you specified something different I suspect that's the barrel it will have, your accuracy will be better served with a 62grn or 64 grn bullet.

The 55grn bullet came out along with the very early AR-15's those rifles had 1:12 twist barrels.

(Just my $.01)

You're kidding, right? This is my preferred practice round in all of my 5.56mm weapons, from my 1/12 twist Daewoo to my 1/7 twist Colts, and the accuracy has been equally good in all of them. And the reliability is great.

I'd rate Q3131A a close third behind Lake City M193 and M855, and it's a lot cheaper and easier to find.

Just make sure it's Q3131A and not Q3131 which is Winchester's domestic production. The '99 stuff seems to be the worst. Eric the Ammoman carries the good stuff.
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 4:01:29 PM EDT
I have to agree that there is nothing wrong with the Q3131a.. I zeroed today using the Santos improved battlesight method and after adjustments it gave me 3 shots right on at 50 yrds all touching.. the other week i got 5 shots using the scope with all five touching using Q3131 at 50 yds.. My rifle is a bushy 16" shorty.. 1/9 twist

I just picked up 10 boxes of Q3131a (4.99/box) yesterday locally to have on hand for sighting in and for non-plinking.. I got a battlepack of the SA surplus for plinking..

I also have had good experience with Q3131.. it was more accurate in my gun that even the American Eagle 55gr.... I've shot over 100 rds of it so far and no blown primers, failure to eject/feed or any problems what so ever.. The accuracy seems to be about the same as the Q3131a as well. I just cant find the Q3131 anyplace local now, walmart had it for 3.97/box..

As of right now I would not have any trouble using either Q3131a or Q3131 in my rifle.. But since I can get it local Im going to go with the Q3131a..

As a side note.. if you go to the Winchester website, they only list Q3131a as the USA (white box) 5.56 ammo.. I wonder if they are going to quit making the Q3131??

Happy shooting..

Link Posted: 3/1/2002 4:28:02 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Hoplophile:

Originally Posted By 5subslr5:
Chris,

(Just my $.01)

You're kidding, right? This is my preferred practice round in all of my 5.56mm weapons, from my 1/12 twist Daewoo to my 1/7 twist Colts, and the accuracy has been equally good in all of them. And the reliability is great.

I'd rate Q3131A a close third behind Lake City M193 and M855, and it's a lot cheaper and easier to find.

Just make sure it's Q3131A and not Q3131 which is Winchester's domestic production. The '99 stuff seems to be the worst. Eric the Ammoman carries the good stuff.

You might check out the article in Small Arms Review, August 1999, VO. 2, No. 11 that gives a fairly good review of bullet weights, barrel twists and accuracy.

However, I'm sure your personal information is more relibale.
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 5:18:11 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 9:19:35 PM EDT
First let me say thanx to everyone for their replies and information......

I just checked my invoice, and my order is for the Q3131-A.

Of course all things being equal, I want to strive for the best accuracy.......but my main focus for the M4 is home defense and CQB training/applications.

Just wanted to make sure I wasn't getting some "odd-lot" stuff that could get me or my new rifle into trouble.

Thanx again for everyone's help.

...SUA SPONTE...

Top Top