Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/28/2002 8:40:00 PM EDT
I need info on the Taurus 92.  I have a chance to get one with 3 hi-cap magazines for $400 at a local gun shop.  
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 9:09:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Your better off just buying a Beretta 92FS.  

I did a trigger job on a Taurus 92 and it looked like they did their finish work with a bench grinder.  I had to re-temper the parts due to the amount of work required to smooth them out.  

You should be able to order a Beretta 92FS for around $475 and the 15 round mags can be had for under $15.00 a piece(aftermarket).
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 9:15:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Get the Beretta, worth the extra $$ if that's what you want.

My first pistol was a Taurus 92 , reliable but the trigger & fit/finish pales in comparison to a Beretta.  I sold the Taurus after a month for my G19  
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 9:57:58 PM EDT
[#3]
PRO you are supporting the firearm industry

CON it is a taurus!

nuf said...............
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 10:49:38 PM EDT
[#4]
pro...unlimited transferable lifetime guarantee...   baretta one year limited,,,  all parts interchangable except mags...old guns made by baretta and smith and whatever in brazil...  92fs and pt92 are the same old slam about which is the best ar15 format....they are both about the same old gun and many prefer the older taurus as a great tack driver,  blah.......blah.... blah...
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 1:38:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 4:54:29 AM EDT
[#6]
I purchased a used (like new) Taurus 92 about 5 years ago. It came with 3 Hi-cap mags and looked like it had never been fired. I paid $225 for it:)

Since that time I have put at least 5ooo rounds through it (mostly S&B), and have NEVER experienced so much as a hiccup. Not a single problem, period.

It is also one of the most accurate little plinkers I own. I would not hesitate for one second to carry it as a CCW if needed.

I don't know if I would pay $400, but I do know that the $225 I spent on mine, was worth every penny.
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 4:58:28 AM EDT
[#7]
PROS

Cheap

Safety where it should be

Full Lifetime Warrenty

CONS

It's not a Beretta
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 7:54:43 AM EDT
[#8]
I also have a Taurus 92 and am very happy with it. Most people, even Beretta owners, prefer the controls, much like the early 92s. Only down side is it of course not a "Beretta" (they seem to have a better finish overall) but does have a lifetime garauntee. BTW that's to much. I got mine new for $300. w/2 high caps. For close to that kind of money I would expect you could find a beretta.
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 4:29:22 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a Hi-Cap Taurus PT-99 and my brother has a Hi-Cap Beretta.  His is a much better finish, but both can throw lead downrange without a jam.  I only have a few hundred rounds through mine and wouldn't hesitate to get another.  For the $$$ I paid, it was a good investment.  I will eventually get a Beretta for the finish quality.

Edited to say try and not get aftermarket mags, only factory original.  I've had bad luck with 2 brands of aftermarket mags.  Then again, with 3 Hi-Cap mags included, you'll probably have no worries.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top