Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/27/2002 3:21:47 PM EDT
My buddy has a .270win and would like to take it 'yote hunting. He's chosen one hundred grain bullet for the task at hand... Will this have any affect on bbl wear? Any other suguestions would be aprecieated.. Thanks

-Jared

P.S. He's poor like the rest of us, so you getting another gun right now is out of the question.

Link Posted: 2/27/2002 4:13:36 PM EDT
[#1]
100gr is about as light as they come in a .270. Probably a SP. Unless you guys are pushing the envelope on distance why not stick with a 130gr or simular?
If you want to varmit the .270, I recommend the 110gr Hornady V-Max.
Velocity, not bullet mass determines barrel wear. However, MV will increase with a lighter bullet. Is this a hand load? I assume the MV in this 100gr will be around 3,200+

In any case, unless your throwing out alot of rounds or are loading for a hand cannon.....what is the difference? A few shots in a hunting application is not going to prematurely wear you barrel. I would be more worried about test firing the chosen round at the assumed distance.

BTW
I thought 'yote hunting was illegal in WI.
Look out for the Timber Wolves.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top