Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/25/2002 8:09:13 PM EDT
Camelbak, Hydrastorm, etc...

Which did you choose, which model, capacity and why?

Looking at a Camelbak Thermobak.

Anyone have any breakage or other problems?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 8:30:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Camelbak!
Two MULES, one HAWG and two pakteens.
Plus enough spare parts to last the rest of my life.
They were the best when I got them and I loaded up on parts.
I have used them alot but haven't abused them.
Get one. They're great.
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 8:59:14 PM EDT
[#2]
If you are engaged in "super duper uptempo missions," jumping around in the brush and such they are fabulous.  They are pretty handy, but how much handier are they if you don't need both hands for something else?  Can't I just stop for a second and knock off and have a drink? ;) Just as easy to take a water bottle out from a side pocket.   I am still trying to get rid of the taste of sunblock from my MSR dromdary.  You do that with a $5 water bottle, you throw it in the recycler.  

For hard use, I would still rather have 2 rigid quart bottles like the nalgene lexans.  

If you have a suitable bag, the MSR with the hose kit has worked ok, and the bag itself seems real tough.  Plus if you want to filter, the mouth sort of threads on to MSR filters.  I would get a 100oz capacity though.  

BTW, I hear denture cleaner does a good job on getting the scuzzies out.  
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 9:19:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Mine was designed for mountain biking, but works great. It is a Hydrapack 100 oz. Hydrapacks have a open top design which is far easier to clean out than any Camelbak. I have two Camelbak Aerobaks that hold 50 oz, but that was not enough. They do fit under a coat well, and work great as a wine bota at Tennessee Titans football games. Camelbak's bite valves leak. The Hydrapack's is superior. Just my opinion.

Remember that Camelbak is a big recipient of Seira Club $$$. They hate off roaders, and shooters as well. Don't help them out. Sure they make OD green units for military, but hypocrisy goes that far for $$$
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 9:24:25 PM EDT
[#4]
prim, I understand that Camelback is going to be allied in some way with preservationist yuppies who sip on camelbacks while they trot around complacently on trails like the fat happy lemmings that they are.

But the Sierra Club giving Camelback money?  Since when did any political action organization give money away to manufacturers of ANY kind of good.  It's usually the Sierra Club begging for a piece of the revenue that Camelback brings in exchange for postive publicity.  Your scenario is a "paradigm shift" that I ain't ever heard of.  You or anyone else care to educate me?  
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 9:29:02 PM EDT
[#5]
I've used most of the popular ones on the market and have found that the Camelbak is the best out there.  They seem to be the strongest, and though they're a bit more $, it's worth it for the quality.  I've used them for mountain biking, wildland firefighting, snowboarding, dirt biking, hiking, and lots of other stuff.  I even know of a few mountain bikers who have avoided serious injury going over the bars and landing on the hydration pack instead of their back.  The bladder popped and saved injury.  One thing I did not know of was Camelbak's support for the Sierra Club.  This makes me rethink my support for their company, but they do make a great product.
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 9:35:44 PM EDT
[#6]
- an older (6+yrs) 72 Oz Camelback - gone through a couple of bite valve - learned the hard way on lipbalm at the USMC MWTC (three days with a dripping valve- till i could get a replacement up the hill)
- one 100 oz
- one 10L MSR dromedary
- 2 2Qt Canteens
- 4 1L Nalegen bottles.

I have the older one in a SOE gear camel back back - the newer in my LBT Devil Radio bag - and the 10L in my Ruck - the four nalegens are used more for winter ops as I can chip ice chips from them etc.  the 2qts can hang off me or my ruck dependant on what we are doing.

Link Posted: 2/25/2002 9:56:37 PM EDT
[#7]
hey Boland, when were you at bridgeport?
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 10:21:26 PM EDT
[#8]
We came down March 97
A Coy 1PPCLI

I have a soft spot in my heart for the USMC - especially since some of us got to use your telemark gear to ski

The training value was limited (CF not USMC related) but I got a great tan and did some great skiing:)

Editted to add - the Nalegen large mouth bottles for cold weather usage were picked up there
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 10:47:42 PM EDT
[#9]
2 USGI canteens. Sorry, but I'm just old-fashioned, I guess.
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 12:54:11 AM EDT
[#10]
I have the 3ltr Camelbak Storm.
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 8:03:49 AM EDT
[#11]
I did a lot of research and decided on the Hydrastorm system.  Granted it is made basically by Blackhawk, it is a great system.  I haven't used it in any harsh conditions, but after hearing how bad the camelback performed in Afganistan, I'm glad I made the choice I did.  Go to the hydrastorm website and read up on their features, it's way better than camelback!!
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 8:16:29 AM EDT
[#12]
70oz CamelBak and more 1qt and 2qt USGI canteens than you can shake a stick at. I prefer the canteens by a long shot.
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 8:39:23 AM EDT
[#13]
I have 2 1 quart(900ml) Nalgene polyproplyene bottles each in a Outdoor Research carrier that is attached to my belt by velcro. I fill one full with water, fill the other half full and freeze in the 'frig. Before leaving on trip, fill the half-full with COLD water so that I can drink without waiting for the ice to melt. By afternoon, the full ice bottle has melted; plenty of ice cold water all day long.
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 8:55:20 AM EDT
[#14]
I have a Hydrastorm Predator.

I have it rigged up with some fastex buckles to attach to the back of my LBE in place of the usual butt pack.  It has about the same carrying capacity as the butt pack, adds the water bladder, is very flat to the back so it doesn't get in the way if I'm squezzing through a tight spot and I can just pull my larger backpack on over it without it being uncomforatble.

The way I have it rigged up with fastex buckles I can easily remove it if I want to shed weight from the LBE or if I want to dump the LBE and just carry the pack.

I also have 2 regular 1qt canteens on my LBE.  
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 11:41:59 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I did a lot of research and decided on the Hydrastorm system.  Granted it is made basically by Blackhawk, it is a great system.  I haven't used it in any harsh conditions, but after hearing how bad the camelback performed in Afganistan, I'm glad I made the choice I did.  Go to the hydrastorm website and read up on their features, it's way better than camelback!!

What went wrong with the camelbak system over there?
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 1:58:18 PM EDT
[#16]
I've been using 1L Nalgenes for some time now, and I have no problem, but I am looking for a more 'hands-free' system to suppliment the bottles.

Thanks for all the feedback though, it looks like popular opinion is split pretty evenly between the Camelbak and the Hydrastorm.
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 3:01:37 PM EDT
[#17]
My personal favorite hydration system. It's never failed me yet!

Link Posted: 2/26/2002 3:18:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Ponyboy,

Do you put that on your ruck, or do you have a tactical thigh holster for it?

I wonder if they make a lanyard loop for that....
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 3:32:43 PM EDT
[#19]
i keep an alice pack ready to go. inside i have 2 one quart filter bottles from clearbrook. i can drink any water anywhere. they remove 99.90% clorine, lead, mercury, E coli, cryptosporidium, industrial wastes, pesticides, herbicides, etc.
in other words, ditch water is fine!
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 3:58:32 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd also like to know what happened with the camelbak??
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 4:35:12 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Ponyboy,

Do you put that on your ruck, or do you have a tactical thigh holster for it?

I wonder if they make a lanyard loop for that....

Actually, I just attatch an appropriate lenght green hose to the output and trail it along with me. I just keep a kink in the hose and when I need a drink I unkink it and the water flows freely.

The only problem is the water gets kind of hot during the summer if I'm out in the yard for too long with the hose in the direct sunlight without getting a drink often enough.  
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 6:04:18 PM EDT
[#22]
I have found to be superior the old standard plastic batting helmet with the two can holders and the hose.  :-)
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 6:45:33 PM EDT
[#23]
My hydration system never seems to run dry. And comes with food inside too!

On the American river about 50 miles east of Sacramento, CA, and only a couple miles from my house. I have got to get a longer siphon hose though
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 4:34:48 PM EDT
[#24]
I own a bunch of camel backs, but I've found that over time they start to leak if you freeze them in any way.  If any water freezes near those little welded junctions, the expanding ice forces those little plastic welded junctions apart and they start to leak.  So I've just gotten a hydrastorm.  I'll wait to see how this one works.
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 7:16:37 PM EDT
[#25]
I just have a lowly two quart canteen. I works real well though.
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 7:38:25 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd also like to know what happened with the camelbak??

I read somewhere that the Marines were having a lot of problems with them breaking and leaking all over the place.  Here ya go: www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=94098
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 10:49:24 AM EDT
[#27]
Use the H.A.W.G. because on those really hot humid days I can stuff two 100 oz. bladders of ice and water in it and stay hydrated all day. Use mine more on the range than on operations. Whether I'm controlling the range that day or a line instructor I have know time between relays to stop and go get bottled water from a cooler. Besides, with some of the people I'm given to train, I need both hands free at an instant. I also carry loose rounds and a first aid kit in it.
I do Frankenstein in some Hydrastorm parts as stuff wears out.They seem to have improved on the Camelback design.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top